Rugby in the Philippines

Headroom

Looks like a pic taken at the Manila 10's Rugby Tournament which has been running for 23 years in the Philippines.

Yes it was taken there...one of my best friends plays for the Nomads Bullettes, one of the premier women's rugby teams in the country.

I'll wait till it becomes popular

Better be a pioneer than a bandwagoneer

I live now in the rugby mad nation - New Zealand. The rugby world cup was held here last year. Yes, it will take time to develop this sport in RP. I hope we will start in the grass roots level rather than importing players. Just at look countries with smaller population compared to Philippines - Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Wales. Rugby is their national sports. However, money is not that much on this sport unless you play in UK, France or Japan. I still believe that we can make an impact - probably start first in the Sevens games.

• 3 weeks later...

I live now in the rugby mad nation - New Zealand. The rugby world cup was held here last year. Yes, it will take time to develop this sport in RP. I hope we will start in the grass roots level rather than importing players. Just at look countries with smaller population compared to Philippines - Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and Wales. Rugby is their national sports. However, money is not that much on this sport unless you play in UK, France or Japan. I still believe that we can make an impact - probably start first in the Sevens games.

There is actually a PRFU Development Team in Brunei this weekend to play a game of 15's. All of the players are local Filipinos - very cool.

There are several fields in Manila, Clark and Cebu that are currently being used for Rugby. The field size is roughly the same as a Soccer field so there are plenty of places locally.

the thing is our govt should build a rugby field for our philippine team so that they are able to play in a legit rugby field. Iba pa rin ung sukat at markings sa soccer field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

oooops...

akala ko itong thread na ito para sa mga batang lansangan na namamalimos... :(

========================================

rugby? here... sapalagay ko we can compete even with local talents just teach the people the rules and the basics...

filipinos are physically strong... ang isang importante na dapat ituro sa mga pinoy tungkol dito ay disiplina at hindi pagiging pikon sa pisikalan...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Philippine Volcanoes will start their Asian Premier Division games soon. First up against Japan - will be the hardest game as Japan play at World Cup Level plus it's being played in Japan.

They are also playing Korea in Korea.

The Volcanoes play Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates here in Manila in May. Tickets are on sale now.

The Volcanoes played against a Philippines A (made up of local club players) team as a warm up to the Asian 5 Nations tournament last night at Nomad Sports Club.

The Volcanoes won the game 54 - 0 however the score line didn't reflect the toughness of the match and the guts shown by the Philippines A team.

The Volcanoes have 7 full-time professional players based in Japan and a number of other players who are semi-professional while all of the Philippines A team are amateur players, many of whom play and train after a full day at a regular job.

All in all an entertaining and tough match.

Will be good to see the Volcanoes in action against Hong Kong and the UAE here in Manila and against Japan and Korea on TV.

Guest demon nick fury

The Volcanoes are doing pretty well; it should inspire a great number of young Filipinos. But after more than a year of trying to attract more audience thru some games and many media blitz, the game seems to be in complete oblivion for about 90% of Filipino sports enthusiasts. Why is that?