#1 Larry

Larry

oderint dum metuant

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

There is nothing to life.

we are born, we play, we study, we marry, we have kids, then we die.

that's all there is.

10 years after your death no one will remember you, nor your accomplishments.

do you think that in this vast world, with billions of people, your achievements will stand out.

maybe this is why there are religions, to give us something to look forward to, to make something out of what our life is and what it will become eventually.

Because beyond your death, there is nothing.

we are just biding our time, waiting for our inevitable demise.

....do you feel like this? or is it only now that you realize this?

#2 Grimace

Grimace

Seducer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

Actually neither. here is my explanation

The human world is filled with meaning, thus the theorist of the human sciences is concerned with causality and meaning, whereas the theorist of the physical world deals almost completely with causality. The human world needs understanding and interpretation, whereas the physical world requires knowledge and explanation.

Herein lays the reason why human relationships cannot be intellectually embraced in the same manner as is physical relationships.

Dilthey proclaims that the depths of human meaning and understanding are particularly accessible for interpretation in the works of art and literature. He called this work of interpreting the products of human activity which reveal the qualities of human life, the phermeneutical art.

When the wind blows down a tree we seek a relationship between wind force and tree strength. A man fells a tree; we seek an understanding of intention. A woman slaps a man's face; there is a world of intentionalities to be considered, because we are dealing with the actions of human beings.

Understanding is insight into the working of the human mind, the rediscovery of the I in the Thou,Thus I can understand why John paces up and down the room but not why my plant wont grow. In the latter case I would have to say, I know why it wont grow. The notion of understanding would also apply to what human beings have produced; thus I might understand a poem as well as a gadget.”

Our insights that result from our own humanness allow us to understand other people. Therein lay the difference between physical science and human science; human science will never reach the precision of the physical sciences but there is the great advantage of moving within a world that is familiar to us. Human life is not only meaningful but it is also articulate in expressing its own meaning, which we can understand.

As we reflect on our own life we can reflect on and understand the life of others. Their patterns are available to me just as my own patterns are available to me. I understand their meaning because I understand mine, more or less. Human life is not only meaningful but it can be articulated.

The life of the individual must also be considered in light of the society. The context in which the individual stands is constructed from tradition, beliefs, and language. Everywhere there is human life there is pattern and meaning that can be articulated and understood, more of less.

my 2 cents

quotes from Pattern and Meaning in History Wilhelm Dilthey

Edited by Grimace, 26 March 2007 - 04:14 PM.

#3 pssyfier

pssyfier

Devirginized

• (04) Casual
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

Actually neither. here is my explanation

The human world is filled with meaning, thus the theorist of the human sciences is concerned with causality and meaning, whereas the theorist of the physical world deals almost completely with causality. The human world needs understanding and interpretation, whereas the physical world requires knowledge and explanation.

Herein lays the reason why human relationships cannot be intellectually embraced in the same manner as is physical relationships.

Dilthey proclaims that the depths of human meaning and understanding are particularly accessible for interpretation in the works of art and literature. He called this work of interpreting the products of human activity which reveal the qualities of human life, the phermeneutical art.

When the wind blows down a tree we seek a relationship between wind force and tree strength. A man fells a tree; we seek an understanding of intention. A woman slaps a man's face; there is a world of intentionalities to be considered, because we are dealing with the actions of human beings.

Understanding is insight into the working of the human mind, the rediscovery of the I in the Thou,Thus I can understand why John paces up and down the room but not why my plant wont grow. In the latter case I would have to say, I know why it wont grow. The notion of understanding would also apply to what human beings have produced; thus I might understand a poem as well as a gadget.”

Our insights that result from our own humanness allow us to understand other people. Therein lay the difference between physical science and human science; human science will never reach the precision of the physical sciences but there is the great advantage of moving within a world that is familiar to us. Human life is not only meaningful but it is also articulate in expressing its own meaning, which we can understand.

As we reflect on our own life we can reflect on and understand the life of others. Their patterns are available to me just as my own patterns are available to me. I understand their meaning because I understand mine, more or less. Human life is not only meaningful but it can be articulated.

The life of the individual must also be considered in light of the society. The context in which the individual stands is constructed from tradition, beliefs, and language. Everywhere there is human life there is pattern and meaning that can be articulated and understood, more of less.

my 2 cents

quotes from Pattern and Meaning in History Wilhelm Dilthey

i like your thoughts that you brought up in this thread Larry ... this is an idea that crosses the boundaries of our generally accepted thoughts on human life and its meaning. We as humans have long harbored the thought that we are the center of this universe and the universe was created because of us. As such, our great and the 'not so' great thinkers have spent countless number of thinking hours trying to figure out the purpose of our existence. Their holy grail is to figure out 'what is the meaning of this life'.

But what if we are not the center of this universe. What if Larry is right in his thought that our lives, collectively or individualy, is just a blink of an eye in between two rivers of eternity. What we do, what we think and what we are individually or collectively is nothing but a speck of dust in an eternity of sand spread across the unlimited boundaries of this universe. that given enough time and space, everything we do, we think and we are would eventually become irrelevant, immaterial / unimportant

If this is true, what is the implication. I am not sure. One possible thought is that we dont need to have a purpose and thus stop searching for one. Maybe just enjoy the limited time you have here and let others enjoy as well. If we are not as important as what we think we are, there should be a whole new perspective on how we should approach life and how we should live it.

just a thought i would like to share with the group. hopefully i can get reactions from anybody that can help me figure out if this perspective on life makes sense.

'Given enough time and space, everything becomes eventually becomes immaterial'.
pssyfier

#4 TNT Hsia

TNT Hsia

I Own the Fight Club!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts
  • Interests:The good life

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Rarity & scarcity is oftentimes, but should never be, mistaken for insignificance. All human life is unique & therefore precious.

Edited by TNT Hsia, 31 March 2007 - 12:29 PM.

#5 iwalkalone

iwalkalone

†Uh-uh Degg-degg†

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 14,863 posts
  • Interests:shorten please. Thanks.

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

Yes I do!...I'm insignificant....mostly to people that matters to me.

everyone is insignificant....10 yrs or less after death.

Edited by iwalkalone, 31 March 2007 - 01:29 PM.

#6 TNT Hsia

TNT Hsia

I Own the Fight Club!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts
  • Interests:The good life

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:35 PM

Nothing & no one is insignificant when there's a heart that cares.

#7 Manticore

Manticore

God of Lust

• 5,577 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

There is nothing to life.

we are born, we play, we study, we marry, we have kids, then we die.

that's all there is.

10 years after your death no one will remember you, nor your accomplishments.

do you think that in this vast world, with billions of people, your achievements will stand out.

maybe this is why there are religions, to give us something to look forward to, to make something out of what our life is and what it will become eventually.

Because beyond your death, there is nothing.

we are just biding our time, waiting for our inevitable demise.
....do you feel like this? or is it only now that you realize this?

Waiting To Die

Nothing we ever do will be of any consequence
It's self-contained in a short life that is already half past tense
Pay your taxes, get your due, enjoy the time that still remains
So when Death comes to take your soul, you'll say that life's worth all the pain

Transcendence

Mortality defines us. We're just Human, after all
And the time we spend on Earth makes our significance quite small
In the grander scheme of things, we're but a speck, but that's okay
'cuz to carry the world's weight I'd swap with my life, anyday
Imagine just what it would be like when eternity is yours
You'd learn all that there is to know (of any interest, of course)
Once you've explored all of reality that is when it starts to hit
You may be God to one and all, though less a "who" and more an "it".

#8 Barenaked-NoMre

Barenaked-NoMre

Authentic N Amazing

• (12) Mega Poster
  • 9,527 posts
  • Interests:GREAT books, movies, food and REFRESHING drinks

smart, funny and down-to-earth people ... ESPECIALLY the MEN who are VERY NAUGHTY! ;)

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

No WAY!!!!

That fact that I am here ... still, MEANS that I am significant to HIM.

We should embrace this fact and BARE in mind that THERE is a REASON for everything.

If things are SHITTY for you now ... this means you need to work on some areas in your life.

Turn things around, make things happen, change for the BETTER!

I am.

#9 Manticore

Manticore

God of Lust

• 5,577 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:44 PM

Intrinsic

Freedom is a blessing
And the time we spend's a gift
Why our purpose, we're still guessing?
'cuz there's none and we're adrift
Meaning can't precede the choices in our life we've yet to make
We define it in the end, although it's not for its own sake
Significance takes shape when we affect another life
For most, it's father, mother, brother, sister, husband, kids and wife
There are others whose achievements will go down in history
We all make some kind of impact; it's a matter of degree

#10 Mamang Tahimik

Mamang Tahimik

Bokya

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:( Y )

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

Nope I don't feel insignificant. I could be insignificant to others, but i'm pretty sure i'm something to my love ones. :)

#11 rickym

rickym

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:10 AM

i feel people become insignificant if they can't exercise their free will.

if they don't have a mind of their own, they have to do frequent quoting because they have no individual opinions. they easily get brainwashed, they easily believe the media and people just because these people are so called credible.

why would i consider them insignificant you ask? because it would mean that they could easily be molded by commercials, religion or people in power. they would end up being very predictable. this predictability just makes us a complex animal instead of a human being with so called free will.

#12 halfpastforever

halfpastforever

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:22 AM

usually happens to me when i bum around the house all day. i start feeling beter when i start doing things for others

#13 TotalGravity

TotalGravity

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

No. Its a matter of knowing what you are here for, the significance of such existence.

We begin to feel insignificant when we lose sight of the purpose for which we were gifted with life. The grave is not the ultimate goal, and death is not the end of existence. For in the totality of the essence of living, of man's significance, is the essence of God's unconditional love. We do not live for man alone, or that which seem temporarily important to one's being. When we begin to realize this, and embrace this truth, rather than follow the deceiving falsehood that there is nothing to life but what is here now, all else become meaningless except for our life, and the Life that He lives through us. When we achieve that wisdom, our lives become purposeful, living each day for something beyond the temporal.

This, my friend, is not religion. This is faith.

Can we be excused when we try to rationalize our insignificance? Do I dare insult my maker?

Edited by TotalGravity, 09 April 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#14 angel_by_day

angel_by_day

God of Lust

• UNREGISTERED
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:01 PM

in my own professional world, yes i am, at the moment. But i know that better things are yet to come... :rolleyes:

#15 BreakAndInsert6977

BreakAndInsert6977

---

• UNREGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

I beg to differ. You are significant. Sometimes, you just get disillusioned.

Do It Anyway by Mother Teresa

People are often unreasonable,
illogical and self-centered;
Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind,
people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.

If you are successful,
you will win some false friends and true enemies;
Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank,
people may cheat you;
Be honest anyway.

What you spend years building,
someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness,
they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.

The good you do today,
people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have,
and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis,
it is between you and God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

I think that is the purpose of meaning -- otherwise, the human race would have died out. Just my opinion anyway. :D

#16 denimhead

denimhead

dem bumbaclot percolator

• (14) Tera Poster
  • 16,678 posts
  • Interests:yup

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:56 PM

in the grand scheme of things we all are .. so stop taking yourself seriously

#17 jaguar_18

jaguar_18

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:cars esp. off road adventure, surfing the net, mountain climbing

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

I think it's just normal to feel such, had that feeling lots of times. It's just how you manage it. :rolleyes:

#18 id6230

id6230

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:32 AM

I am insignificant individual but very significant collectively.

#19 Guest_bleeding_angel_*

Guest_bleeding_angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:13 AM

significance is relative...

to the degree of closeness,
to the time spent,
to the space shared,
to the wisdom learned,
to the emotions caused,
to the inspiration gained,
to the contribution to society,
to the life lived...

that's what i think anyway.

#20 BeVeryHappy

BeVeryHappy

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:03 AM

Yep, I think I am insignificant.

I am as insignificant as a fish that gave someone another day's worth of sustenance.
I am as insignificant as a hollow block in someone's home.
I am as insignificant as a friendly advice to a person who lost his will to live.
I am as insignificant as a friend who introduced someone to his future spouse.
I am as insignificant as a spouse who was the parent of the spouse of another.
I am insignificant because in 10 years after I die no one will remember me.

But if I was not here, my friend, would you have read this drivel of mine? ^_^

Yeah, yeah, lousy poem, but I hope you all got my drift -_^

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users