The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyld, that would be lentejas (the chickpeas)!  It's really masarap! :boo:

Now that sounded really KAKA. :lol:

Uy that does sound familiar. I dont even like beans that much (dba bean family ang chickpea?) pero that one was reallyl good... :boo:

Hehe... bagay that way of talking sa La Tienda - kse when we ate there parang puro mga espanyol looking creatures ang andun eh :D

On a related note. I am still craving for paella. Wala pa din ako mahanap na malapit na spanish place dito. :wacko:

I was just about to PM you my number in the hope that I can join one of the get-togethers of either the wine group of the 70s group.

FYI.  Literally, jamon serrano simply means mountain ham ("serrano" being one of the Spanish words for mountain.  Others include montaña, etc)

aha!

may natutunan na naman ako :P

thanks a lot, pare, and yes, I got your PM...

barring any cataclysmic event, Thursday is on! :boo:

well la tienda is still there.  i too dont know the name of the street.  it's the street that runs parallel to jupiter and burgos and is in between the 2.

the bread they serve is really good.  crusty but moist and soft inside. 

la tienda  serves good spanish dishes.. the paella takes about 45mins to an hour to prepare so i suggest you preorder it when  you make your reservation (yes, you need one just to make sure you get a seat.  the place gets full).  the vegetable soup and the onion soup, you ought to try as well.

funny name for a resto since it means a "store".  It has a small deli on the left side upon enterring the place.

that street could be Polaris, pare...

lots of restos there pero ang pinupuntahan ko lang dati dun was a yakitori place - Nanbantei - which has since moved to GB3....

could not be Burgos as Burgos I think is where the girlie bars are :unsure:

Uy that does sound familiar. I dont even like beans that  much (dba bean family ang chickpea?) pero that one was reallyl good... :boo:

Hehe... bagay that way of talking sa La Tienda - kse when we ate there parang puro mga espanyol looking creatures ang andun eh :D

On a related note. I am still craving for paella. Wala pa din ako mahanap na malapit na spanish place dito.  :wacko:

hehehe....

better bottle in that paella craving of yours...

Robb Walsh doesn't mention any Spanish resto in his book...

the nearest in terms of like-minded cuisines he mentioned were Brennan's. Also Otilio, which reputedly is a five-star resto in Zagat's Guides for two years' running, and El Hidalguense - both of which feature Mexican cuisine....

the best thing you could do is haul your sweet booty here and I'm sure mr. Masi will treat you at your favorite La Tienda :P

that street could be Polaris, pare...

lots of restos there pero ang pinupuntahan ko lang dati dun was a yakitori place - Nanbantei - which has since moved to GB3....

could not be Burgos as Burgos I think is where the girlie bars are :unsure:

OT - nanbantei is masarap din.

its perpendicular to burgos :P baka nga polaris... :D

hehehe....

better bottle in that paella craving of yours...

Robb Walsh doesn't mention any Spanish resto in his book...

the nearest in terms of like-minded cuisines he mentioned were Brennan's. Also Otilio, which reputedly is a five-star resto in Zagat's Guides for two years' running, and El Hidalguense - both of which feature Mexican cuisine....

the best thing you could do is haul your sweet booty here and I'm sure mr. Masi will treat you at your favorite La Tienda  :P

i know i checked the resto website ... :cry:

hay. i dont wanna cook so ill wait.... paguwe ko. :D

i want paella @ la tienda. ;)

OT - nanbantei is masarap din.

its perpendicular to burgos :P baka nga polaris... :D

i know i checked the resto website ... :cry:

hay. i dont wanna cook so ill wait.... paguwe ko. :D

i want paella @ la tienda. ;) 

pagtyagaan mo na yung Mexican - their cabrito is excellent, he said.....

I kinda miss those little thingies-on-sticks in Nanbantei...I am too tamad na to go to their new place in GB3...

yeah I suppose it's Polaris - perpendicular ba? If it's vertical, it's a suite in Victo.....whoops hehehe sorry there :blush:

para ok kay sir masi at baka sabihin nya puro OT post ko dito :P

...what type of Spanish cooking is found here? I mean I read that there are regional cuisines in Spain too - Catalan, Basque, etc....

Edited by bods1000
pagtyagaan mo na yung Mexican - their cabrito is excellent, he said.....

I kinda miss those little thingies-on-sticks in Nanbantei...I am too tamad na to go to their new place in GB3...

yeah I suppose it's Polaris - perpendicular ba? If it's vertical, it's a suite in Victo.....whoops hehehe sorry there :blush:

para ok kay sir masi at baka sabihin nya puro OT post ko dito :P

...what type of Spanish cooking is found here? I mean I read that there are regional cuisines in Spain too - Catalan, Basque, etc....

ayaw ko na ng mexican food. please. :sick:

cuban and brazilian for now. if i get sipag, ill make paella. IF.

hahaha suite in victo? i seem to have forgotten na how that looks like :blush:

hahaha...

cocido - thats another spanish dish i like. i think it was la tienda as well.

:)

ayaw ko na ng mexican food. please. :sick:

cuban and brazilian for now. if i get sipag, ill make paella. IF.

hahaha suite in victo? i seem to have forgotten na how that looks like :blush:

hahaha...

cocido - thats another spanish dish i like. i think it was la tienda as well.

:)

care for some chimichangas? :P

me too - I don't even know what it looks like... what are you talking about ba? I was referring to the waiting suite in the ahhhmmm.....victory liner bus station :hypocritesmiley:

since masi is enjoining anyone to post their recipes here and since you know how to do a sui...I mean a paella, would you kindly post some sort of a recipe here. thanks hehehe....

what's Brazilian food like, anyway :unsure: Is it something like Portuguese?

care for some chimichangas? :P

me too - I don't even know what it looks like... what are you talking about ba? I was referring to the waiting suite in the ahhhmmm.....victory liner bus station :hypocritesmiley:

since masi is enjoining anyone to post their recipes here and since you know how to do a sui...I mean a paella, would you kindly post some sort of a recipe here. thanks hehehe....

what's Brazilian food like, anyway :unsure: Is it something like Portuguese?

No thank you,no chimichangas please... :sick: :lol:

Ah yeah the Victory Bus Liner nga kasi was what i meant; thats what i ride goin home to Zambales eh... :hypocritesmiley:

Hmmm this is the recipe i followed the last time i made paella... it was okay except i didnt have a paellera so i cooked it in a huge wok :wacko:

I got this from the :wub: of my life, Tyler Florence...

It worked naman... Naubos eh.

I have yet to try Brazilian Food, but it was ahead of Cuban on the website so I figured id give it a go as well ;)

The Ultimate Paella

Ingredients

1 (3-pound) frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

1 Spanish onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, crushed

Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish

1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed

4 cups short grain Spanish rice

6 cups water, warm

Generous pinch saffron threads

1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed

1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined

2 lobster tails

1/2 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed

Lemon wedges, for serving

Spice Mix for chicken

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

2 teaspoons dried oregano

Special equipment

Large paella pan or wide shallow skillet

Procedure

Rub the spice mix all over the chicken and marinate chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.

In the same pan, make a sofrito by sauteing the onions, garlic, and parsley. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat. Then, add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid. Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron. Add the clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook. Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails. When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it's perfect.

The ideal paella has a toasted rice bottom called socarrat. (The infamous tutong!!!)

Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.

Edited by Wyld

Ah  yeah the Victory Bus Liner nga kasi was what i meant; thats what i ride goin home to Zambales eh... :hypocritesmiley:

Hmmm this is the recipe i followed the last time i made paella... it was okay except i didnt have a paellera so i cooked it in a huge wok :wacko:

I got this from the :wub: of my life, Tyler Florence...

It worked naman... Naubos eh.

I have yet to try Brazilian Food, but it was ahead of Cuban on the website so I figured id give it a go as well ;)

The Ultimate Paella

Ingredients

1 (3-pound) frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

2 Spanish chorizo sausages, thickly sliced

1 Spanish onion, diced

4 garlic cloves, crushed

Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish

1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed

4 cups short grain Spanish rice

6 cups water, warm

Generous pinch saffron threads

1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed

1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined

2 lobster tails

1/2 cup sweet peas, frozen and thawed

Lemon wedges, for serving

Spice Mix for chicken

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

2 teaspoons dried oregano

Special equipment

Large paella pan or wide shallow skillet

Procedure

Rub the spice mix all over the chicken and marinate chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat. Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve. Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.

In the same pan, make a sofrito by sauteing the onions, garlic, and parsley. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on a medium heat. Then, add tomatoes and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld. Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid. Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron. Add the clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook. Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails. When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it's perfect.

The ideal paella has a toasted rice bottom called socarrat. (The infamous tutong!!!)

Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with peas, parsley and lemon wedges.

BIG THANKS FOR THE PAELLA RECIPE!!!! :thumbsupsmiley: I will see if i can cook it this weekend... I better check if my HMO is current. :wacko:

have you tried the bacalo (cod fish) ala vizcaina? it still baffles me why this dish is so popular during the holy week when you can get it in most spanish resto anytime?

tuloy, pag nakita mo sa menu ayaw mong orderin kasi naaalala mo an Viernes Santo!!!!

Happy Eating!!!!

BIG THANKS FOR THE PAELLA RECIPE!!!! :thumbsupsmiley:  I will see if i can cook it this weekend... I better check if my HMO is current. :wacko:

most welcome masi :) i do hope you enjoy it as much as my friends did ... ;)

have you tried the bacalo (cod fish) ala vizcaina?  it still baffles me why this dish is so popular during the holy week when you can get it in most spanish resto anytime?

tuloy, pag nakita mo sa menu ayaw mong orderin kasi naaalala mo an Viernes Santo!!!!

Happy Eating!!!!

i find that too salty. and yeah... too reminiscent of lent :D

most welcome masi :) i do hope you enjoy it as much as my friends did ... ;) 

i find that too salty. and yeah... too reminiscent of lent :D

i just noticed your "foot"notes... blahniks... hmmm... didnt know i was communicating with Sarah Jessica Parker.... :rolleyes:

yup... the bacalao could be very salty... i soak it 24 in fresh water for 24 hours prior to cooking.... it's still salty....

i have yet to try the chorizo from dulcinea...

i just noticed your "foot"notes... blahniks... hmmm... didnt know i was communicating with Sarah Jessica Parker.... :rolleyes:

yup... the bacalao could be very salty... i soak it 24 in fresh water for 24 hours prior to cooking.... it's still salty....

i have yet to try the chorizo from dulcinea...

:lol: re my footnotes... what woman can resist the lure of a pair of shoes... blahniks at that.... :wub: :blush:

yeah, i never liked the bacalao...smacks too much of many good fridays being force fed bacalao by my mom when id much rather have pork n beans... or when it was in vogue already, century tuna !!! sacrilegious ba?

i tried the chorizo plate in dulcinea. it was okay ... but then again, all coldcuts are okay w/ me.

spanish desserts... .any comments? or arent you guys into desserts?

my cousin who lived in spain a long time gave me the recipe for spanish flan ... ill hunt it up and post it here.

Ah  yeah the Victory Bus Liner nga kasi was what i meant; thats what i ride goin home to Zambales eh... :hypocritesmiley:

......some guacamole, then? :P

you really cook that paella? looks so involved and complicated pero mukha talaga syang masarap ha...

thanks for posting the recipe.....I will peruse the recipe again while we're on our way to Zambales in that Victory Liner bus :lol:

......some guacamole, then? :P

you really cook that paella? looks so involved and complicated pero mukha talaga syang masarap ha...

thanks for posting the recipe.....I will peruse the recipe again while we're on our way to Zambales in that Victory Liner bus :lol:

i seriously believe avocado is a FRUIT. and should not be mixed with onions, garlic and tomato.

LOL i dont really like avocado all that much and makin it to guacamole makes it worse.

i did cook that. in a wok :D the recipe seemed intimidating at first... but it turned out to be quite easy.

it was good. baka nga better if you cook it over a wood fire eh kaya lang i dont know how to regulate heat in a wooden fire... saka wala akong wooden oven dito eh.

nahirapan pala ako maghanap ng authentic spanish chorizo dito - i used some form of argentinian sausage. it pretty much worked. if all else fails, i was gonna use salami :D i dont think the mexican chorizo will work - the texture is too mushy :D

:D

so ... shall we take the vbus to z? :lol:

i seriously believe avocado is  a FRUIT. and should not be mixed with onions, garlic and tomato.

LOL i dont really like avocado all that much and makin it to guacamole makes it worse.

i did cook that. in a wok :D the recipe seemed intimidating at first... but it turned out to be quite easy.

it was good. baka nga better if you cook it over a wood fire eh kaya lang i dont know how to regulate heat in a wooden fire... saka wala akong wooden oven dito eh.

nahirapan pala ako maghanap ng authentic spanish chorizo dito - i used some form of argentinian sausage. it pretty much worked. if all else fails, i was gonna use salami :D i dont think the mexican chorizo will work - the texture is too mushy :D

:D

so ... shall we take the vbus to z? :lol:

you talk as if onions, garlics and tomatoes are villains which the good guy avocado should avoid at all costs :P but hey I like them all!

maybe I can teach you how to regulate heat.......in a wooden something hehehe...

malapit na yung vb sa vc ah :rolleyes:

para hindi OT: what Spanish resto here offer a good selection of wine?

you talk as if onions, garlics and tomatoes are villains which the good guy avocado should avoid at all costs :P but hey I like them all!

maybe I can teach you how to regulate heat.......in a wooden something hehehe...

malapit na yung vb sa vc ah :rolleyes:

para hindi OT: what Spanish resto here offer a good selection of wine?

no naman. i just dont like mixing fruit w/ veggies and making it into sauce :D

hmm wooden something in vc? or vb? :lol:

i never know what wine to drink w/ food ... maybe i should begin reading the wine thread as well :D

no naman. i just dont like mixing fruit w/ veggies and making it into sauce :D

hmm wooden something in vc? or vb? :lol:

i never know what wine to drink w/ food ... maybe i should begin reading the wine thread as well :D

dapat lang!

but as we say - drink what you like - saka na yung mga refinements, as they say.

...but tomato is also a fruit, not a veggie, di ba? how come it's lumped in with the bad guys onions and garlic? how about ginger - you've never mentioned ginger. Wala ba siyang cameo appearance man lang :lol:

uhmmm wooden wooden - as in as in as hard as wood and as hot as a wood fire....

vb in vc - very bad in vc!

I don't have any idea how this is related to the thread. Magagalit na sa atin si masi :unsure:

dapat lang!

but as we say - drink what you like - saka na yung mga refinements, as they say.

...but tomato is also a fruit, not a veggie, di ba? how come it's lumped in with the bad guys onions and garlic? how about ginger - you've never mentioned ginger. Wala ba siyang cameo appearance man lang :lol:

uhmmm wooden wooden - as in as in as hard as wood and as hot as a wood fire....

vb in vc - very bad in vc!

I don't have any idea how this is related to the thread. Magagalit na sa atin si masi :unsure:

lurker muna ako dun :P the only thing i know about wine is i seem to prefer the whites over the reds.

oo nga tomato is a fruit. and by itself i like it. i also like it mixed up w/ onion and garlic (as in to sautee or to make salsa) but if you add in the uber mushy texture of the avocado.... ewwww.. :P

ginger - another eewww for me. :P sorry im not into ginger either.

LOL ... uncle you better behave.

wala ka bang sagot sa tanong ko about spanish desserts????

lurker muna ako dun :P the only thing i know about wine is i seem to prefer the whites over the reds.

oo nga tomato is a fruit. and by itself i like it. i also like it mixed up w/ onion and garlic (as in to sautee or to make salsa) but if you add in the uber mushy texture of the avocado.... ewwww.. :P

ginger - another eewww for me. :P sorry im not into ginger either.

LOL ... uncle you better behave.

wala ka bang sagot sa tanong ko about spanish desserts????

as if you didn't know - wala nga akong alam sa Spanish eh - I thought that question was for masi :P

saka I don't go for desserts, not of any kind eewww...

I better stop eating all these onions and garlics and gingers to behave hehehe...

as if you didn't know - wala nga akong alam sa Spanish eh - I thought that question was for masi :P

saka I don't go for desserts, not of any kind eewww...

I better stop eating all these onions and garlics and gingers to behave hehehe...

may pa eewww ewww ka pa jan! :D

hehehe ... mashado ka nga ata hyper.

is that too much spanish food? :D