Compound Vs Isolation

Compound movements are definitely the way to go if you want to build overall strengths.

Small muscles not recruited during isolated movements - the rotator cuff for example on the bench - will not strengthen the same rate as the muscle group because they are not used as much resulting in an overall weakness.

Isolated exerecises are best to get "weaker" muscles in a group to catch up to the rest.

Just a thought guys. One good scientific explanation behind compound exercises being much better than isolated exercise is synergistic testosterone shooting. So the more muscles being stressed, the more testosterone is being released by the body--- leading to stimulation of you secondary sex traits including increased muscle growth. That testosterone shoot when doing a full squat is much more potent than doing isolated exercises of your quads, gluts, etc.

one thing i've noticed with isolation(ers), :D is, they more often than not, have disproportioned muscle development... esp. the tricep part. ;)

Maybe that would be due to the fact that there's a strength and coordination imbalance between the right and left arm if you're right/left handed and not necessarily due to "isolation" exercises.

that's why people should stop with all the concentration curls, all the while referring to their arms as "guns," pick up a barbell, and do some damn deadlifts.

and most people I know can never grow their arms beyond 14' natural even if they do all these curls. Once they start prioritizing the compound movements, they suddenly start growing like they never have before

but still, a guy who does curls is doing more than a guy who sits on his ass all day eating doughnuts and burgers, and has the guts to complain about his fat... well, gut.

of course at least he is doing something.

OT, are you still interested in working in the fitness industry? if so, shoot me a PM

Maybe that would be due to the fact that there's a strength and coordination imbalance between the right and left arm if you're right/left handed and not necessarily due to "isolation" exercises.

nah. left and right not same size... that's a given. :)

im talking about the triceps too big for the delts. :) and in some instances, arms are bigger than the body. if you cover the arms and just expose the body, it's as if he's not workin' out. :)

nah. left and right not same size... that's a given. :)

im talking about the triceps too big for the delts. :) and in some instances, arms are bigger than the body. if you cover the arms and just expose the body, it's as if he's not workin' out. :)

Had this problem before.

the solution, focus on standing military press

that's why people should stop with all the concentration curls, all the while referring to their arms as "guns," pick up a barbell, and do some damn deadlifts.

many people just train theri bicep and chest and they neglect ther back and legs!

dont forget to train your legs!

Compound exercises first and foremost. For sometime now I have been concentrating on my core and there is no way to effectively work the core without doing compound exercises/routines. I can also attest to the strength gain one experiences incorporating compound exercises in each workout session. :thumbsupsmiley:

I still do isolation exercises when I feel lacking on some routines I did for some body parts for example the arms. But I always start and incorporate more compound movements in my workout than isolations.

I can feel it working best for me through sports such as basketball, soccer, golf and boxing. Compound exercise is the way to go.

Compound exercises first and foremost. For sometime now I have been concentrating on my core and there is no way to effectively work the core without doing compound exercises/routines. I can also attest to the strength gain one experiences incorporating compound exercises in each workout session. :thumbsupsmiley:

I still do isolation exercises when I feel lacking on some routines I did for some body parts for example the arms. But I always start and incorporate more compound movements in my workout than isolations.

I can feel it working best for me through sports such as basketball, soccer, golf and boxing. Compound exercise is the way to go.

I totally agree. Compound exercises definitely helped me with my ball game. I'm involved in two different corporate leagues and my teammates have witnessed the changes in my game. I'm a lot quicker and my endurance has improved, to think I'm only on my second month of training. I was hoping to add a few inches to my vertical in a few months time. :rolleyes:

Compound exercises definitely rule but we need a mixture of both. For real development nothing beats Basic Compund exercises. I trained for at least 2 years, diligently I might add, doing the standard bench press, leg press, pull-downs, curls, etc. But it wasn't only two years ago when I really started using Basic Compund exercises as the foundation of my routine. Free weight Squats, Deadlifts, and of course the Bench Press (all powerlifting movements). I usually hit each body part with two heavy compund exercises then finish them off with Isolation exercises. You really develop functional power. :thumbsupsmiley: