Hey guys. Ive taken on a new hobby. Im road biking. Ive decided to do this as part of my lifestyle meaning, i bike to work. I live in Merville, I work in the Makati area. It takes me a good 40 minute relaxed trip to makati. This isnt so bad because on a given traffic day, this is still the amount of time id spend to get to work.

Downside, you need to find a good bathroom with showers and you have to bring your clothes to work. but on the upside, it relieves you from work stress... how?

After a bad day of work, no matter what your problems are, YOU STILL HAVE TO BIKE GOING HOME!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHa... eh biking to work or going home is always a life and death situation given the traffic situation and habits of the Philippines... so, it feels very liberating.

Anyways, my goal is 40 pounds in 4 months... im down 7 pounds since the start of march... Started off at 215 pounds. will finish at 180. Im about 5'9.

Included in my workout is going to the gym... I still believe that NOTHING makes you eat or consume more calories compared to Gym work... because with the correct fitness training, you even burn when yer resting... I still have my work out on bill star's 5x5 program that was introduced to me by Olympus, from here on the threads.

anyways, ill keep you guys posted on whatever progress i have on a weekly basis... most likely during my weigh ins... are there any other people out there like me? hope so... :D

• Like (+1) 1

Started 215 - 214... Im now down to 205... ten pounds in 3 weeks... not so bad... tings should really start picking up after the holy week... Plus im going out of town... i dont usually eat when im out of town, hassle pupu... hehehehehehehehe... sana naka take ako ng before pics...

Work out regimen still consists of the following:

Bike to and from work at least 4 times a week. one way is about 30 to 40 minutes with gradual climbs and deadly traffic...

Work out each body part at least once a week... sometimes twice. reason for this is that i dont want to start overtraining. besides, im training to get smaller now and not to get bigger or stronger...

Whenever i work out though, i still do 5x5...

Cut rice completely from my diet... all ulam and veggies... need to veggies at least once a day... replaced fruit as my sugar fix... except mango. I still eat canteen food coz no choice but i try to stay with the fishes... at night is a major battle... so used to eating junk at night... managed to keep my diet to peanuts, fit and right juice, and fruits at night... so far so good... Please take note that my protein intake is not very high... Dont see the need to yet because im not trying to gain size or strength yet... most of my workouts is for endurance and pacing... especially with the bike...

so again, 10 pounds down, 30 more to go...

Will get to the mountain biking in a bit... street muna, build strength. Got myself a cyclo computer for my bike.. gives me a better idea on my accomplishments... start to time my routes and finally put an odometer on my bike to record its use... i bike 11.68 km one-way, total of 23 kilometers per day... i take 1 way in 30 minutes or so... i should start to lose some weight when i try to shed off that time... in the meantime, i mix it up a bit... Will have a weigh in by friday. Was 206 lbs this past wednesday.. Im hoping to have broken the 200 pound mark in two weeks...

Good job! I wish I could do that... kaso I have some valuables that I need to bring along with me (laptop) and laging umuulan dito... I don't want my stuff to get soaked.

Anyway, I love biking too. Dati nga, I was in a biking club pa :D Kaso my bike broke... I'll try to get it fixed this spring... Mags-start ulit ako soon. Kahit na around the neighborhood lang. It is a good way to lose weight pero very cautious lang cuz if you get in an accident, almost sure na you're dead. I mean, I don't mean to be so glum but it's true. Wear a helmet! Kahit na medyo dorky looking, at least you're safe.

Edited by 1800donttry

hit the 20 minute mark... took me twenty minutes to get home tonight... rested last week, only biked twice... planning to do more this week... less intense but ill take my time and build my cardio... thinking of foregoing the workout for the meantime.. need to start swimming for a lifesaving seminar/camp in end of may... i dont want to tire myself and overtrain...going to the point of overtraining is VERY EASY TO DO so one has to be very careful... if all goes well, ill break the 200 pounds this week...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I recently re-acquainted myself with my old road bike when I taught the kumander how to ride a bike. Ayun, nahilig siya and nadamay na rin ako to ride regularly. I started her off slow and just plan to build little by little on what she can do on her bike. She has graduated from not being able to ride at all in December to now riding for almost two hours. Yung main route namin is in UP (around the oval pag walang tao and sa mga side roads pag marami na), pero naka fort boni at even clark na rin kami.

Apart from obvious fitness and weight loss benefits, cycling is a great excuse to travel (eventually maliliitan ka rin sa subdivision or neighborhood area at maghahanap ka na ng ibang lugar) o kahit pasyal lang. Apart from the initial investment of the bike, its not that expensive. Magkano ba lang ang singil na gumamit ng kalye? Sa mga nagbabalak, look for someone who knows about bikes at magpatulong kayo sa pagpili. Maraming manguuto sa inyo dyan na bumili ng kung ano-ano na mahal. Sa akin, choose one that will suit you (mountain, road, hybrid, cruiser..etc.) that's cheap enough na pwede niyong bitawan in case you don't like cycling but is still sturdy and useful enough to see you through your early stages. Pag nahiligan niyo, kayo rin ang maghahanap ng new bike or upgrade niyo.

Always remember though, SAFETY FIRST! Hindi optional ang helmet and other safety gear. Hindi rin advisable na sugurin ang EDSA o Commonwealth lalo na sa mga nagsisimula lang. Learn how to ride safely from experts and instructional videos (dami sa youtube) para di magsisi. Your bike's supposed to lead to a better and not deader you, so learn as much as you can before and while you're into cycling.

• 1 month later...

yeah, what happened to the thread starter?

know of someone who picked up road biking as a hobby. he was overweight but had regular excercise prior to biking via badminton. several months into biking, he would boast of both reaching as far as cavite and doing mountain routes, thus i was left to believe that he was accustomed to his new hobby. so imagine my disbelief when he suffered a minor heart attack while biking up going to antipolo which necessitated surgery. good thing he always rides with his buddies.

so the moral of the story is make sure you are medically cleared before doing sport biking. or mag kotse nalang. :D

Edited by kanski

sir, you can get a starter bike for about less than fifteen if you get in quiapo... but these will be bikes that i cant vouch for. meaning, if you wwant to get into a race eventually or if mejo malubak ka ng matindi or if you want to start into doing century rides, in which case, im sure aabot ka rin dun sa lahat ng mga sinabi ko, i cant vouch for non failure of the equipment.. but if you get something worth about 30 thou... oks na ito. both for regular workout.. semi race.. long distance.. etc... then kung na adict ka, you can go up to as far as half a million pesos for a bike.. :D and even if you have spent that much, the year after, meron pa rin mas maganda keysa sa mga pyesa mo... but its not a must to spend big. in fact the strongest cyclists in manila have bikes that don't cost more than 50 thou... yung mga iba dinadaan lang sa porma.. ksama nako dun! poser lang po.

Hey guys. Ive taken on a new hobby. Im road biking. Ive decided to do this as part of my lifestyle meaning, i bike to work. I live in Merville, I work in the Makati area. It takes me a good 40 minute relaxed trip to makati. This isnt so bad because on a given traffic day, this is still the amount of time id spend to get to work.

Downside, you need to find a good bathroom with showers and you have to bring your clothes to work. but on the upside, it relieves you from work stress... how?

After a bad day of work, no matter what your problems are, YOU STILL HAVE TO BIKE GOING HOME!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHa... eh biking to work or going home is always a life and death situation given the traffic situation and habits of the Philippines... so, it feels very liberating.

Anyways, my goal is 40 pounds in 4 months... im down 7 pounds since the start of march... Started off at 215 pounds. will finish at 180. Im about 5'9.

Included in my workout is going to the gym... I still believe that NOTHING makes you eat or consume more calories compared to Gym work... because with the correct fitness training, you even burn when yer resting... I still have my work out on bill star's 5x5 program that was introduced to me by Olympus, from here on the threads.

anyways, ill keep you guys posted on whatever progress i have on a weekly basis... most likely during my weigh ins... are there any other people out there like me? hope so... :D

Master, nakakuha ka na ng MTB? sama ka samin mag trail kahit sa filinvest alabang. I find mountain better than road chief. Hybrid ang gamit ko so nagagamit ko sa trail. Will invest on a full sus anytime soon para yung hybrid ko pang roroad ko na lang.

yeah, what happened to the thread starter?

know of someone who picked up road biking as a hobby. he was overweight but had regular excercise prior to biking via badminton. several months into biking, he would boast of both reaching as far as cavite and doing mountain routes, thus i was left to believe that he was accustomed to his new hobby. so imagine my disbelief when he suffered a minor heart attack while biking up going to antipolo which necessitated surgery. good thing he always rides with his buddies.

so the moral of the story is make sure you are medically cleared before doing sport biking. or mag kotse nalang. :D

agree ako. dapat stress test muna so you will know if safe ka mapagod and malaman mo your limit sa heartrate. And get a heart rate monitor. Kahit hindi na Polar. Yung Cat Eye dual wireless would set you back mga 5,500 lang sa cartimar.

people like that guy are usually non athletes who do not know their limits/tolerance... thats very scary... i have on occassion brought myself to a point na akala hihimatayin na ako... head was pounding.. vison dimming.. i wanted to crap in my pants.. couldn hear anything.. sharp pains at the back of my head.. etc etc etc... all i had to do was ease off... relax.. breathe.. relax.. pour water over my head.. etc..

my advice to people who take this up, go at your own pace.. do your own thing.. because only YOU will know how YOU feel.. pag naiwan na ako, wala ako pakealam kasi iwanan na nila ako as opposed to me ending up dead from heat stroke..

o, sir boss master, btw, ako i dont like using the heart rate monitor.. although maybe recommended siya for others.. kasi HRM's tend to be not so accurate meaning its better to use RPE (rate of perceived effort) to judge if youre still okay or not..

• 9 months later...