Anyone Into Martial Arts?

Irena

according to a communist friend of mine, the top 2 most useless martial arts are:

1. arnis - you can't bring 2 sticks everywhere

2. taekwondo - try doing that when you're assaulted :lol:

I pity your friend ... People who think that arnisadors are helpless without their sticks; this only shows his ignorance and lack of knowledge regarding our indiginous art. Napakakitid ng utak nya... :hypocritesmiley:

Weapons training in arnis is just the tip of the iceberg...

Tell your commie friend to do more research before making any dumbfounded and pointless comments regarding any art especially Arnis...

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There'll be a martial arts festival sa Star City from JUly 25-27 (that's this weekend). During this GAB sponsored event there'll be demos from the many different martial arts namely: taekwondo, aikido, ju-do, muay-thai, brazilian and japanese jiu-jitsu and many others. They will also be holding a Yaw Yan Fighting Challenge to highlight the said event.

JUDO and WUSHU... Lethal combination ito... Kahit sa URCC, WUSHU guys dominates their division...

Tinalo pa nga ng isang first timer sa MMA na WUSHU guy si Allan Co eh... Grabe kasi ang conditioning nila, parang hindi napapagod...

Well iba talaga ang conditioning ng mga taga Baguio first of all (where Team Lakay is based). The high altitude gives them the advantage of developiong superior lung power when compared to their counterparts here in manila. Also, not to defend Allan Co but the guy hasn't fought in a couple of years and has spent most of his time recently with his office job unlike Folayang who is a full time fighter.

But yah I have to agree with you. Lakay is the most dominant team in the local MMA Scene at the moment.

• 1 year later...

Lahat ng Martial Arts MAGANDA nasa sayo na lang yun kung papaano mo gagamitin, halimbawa away kalye ang approach sayo ng opponent mo kung ikaw ay matalinong TAEKWONDO Practitioner dapat alam mo na hindi ka kailangang maging fancy sa kalaban mo kc buhay mo ang nakataya, kalimitang ginagamit ng isang jin's sa kalye ay FRONT KICK sa BALLS o eye job sa mata bago mo sya tapusin, kung ikaw naman ay ARNIS naman ang art mo syempre hindi mo naman kailangang laging may dalang STICK sa kalye kc yung stick ay extension lang ng kamay natin ang mga nag ARNISADOR ay marunong ring SUMIPA at SUMUNTOK at kung magaling kang martial ARTIST alam mo ang mga VITAL POINTS ng iyong opponent, dapat dun mo sya atakihin, KUNG PAREHO NAMAN kayong may alam sa MARTIAL ARTS ang mangyayari dun ay unahan na lang kayo ng gamit ng ART nyo at pag away kalye ang usapan lahat dyan ay allowed at walang rules kaya ingat na lang kalimitang nanalo dyan ay yung makakaunang tumama sa mga delikadong parts ng katawan natin.

I pity your friend ... People who think that arnisadors are helpless without their sticks; this only shows his ignorance and lack of knowledge regarding our indiginous art. Napakakitid ng utak nya... :hypocritesmiley:

Weapons training in arnis is just the tip of the iceberg...

Tell your commie friend to do more research before making any dumbfounded and pointless comments regarding any art especially Arnis...

I fully agree with you sir. The sticks are just an extension of the hand. Lessons start out with the sticks, progress to knives and then empty hands. I study the Kali de Leon system here.

For those not familiar with arnis/escrima/kali some examples of close quarter combat employed can be seen in movies such as The Bourne series, resident evil, 300, The Hunted, Blade Trilogy, Chronicles of Riddick just to name a few. These were part of our demo presentation at the recent gun show held at Megamall last Nov. 14.

Might interest him to know that the Russian Spetsnaz are being trained by Filipino Arnisadors in hand to hand combat. Two of these guys are friends of mine.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/174325/rp-mart...thold-in-russia

Let us not belittle our own indigenous martial art.

• 1 month later...

It's very disappointing to hear other people belittle some forms of martial arts just coz they think they know better. They say that Kali or Arnis is ineffective if u don't have a stick w/ u or they say Taekwondo is useless coz it only uses kicks to strike. It's not the fighting style that matters but the way u handle a situation that counts. Like the old saying, "Sa nagdadala yan eh." Whether u r a MMA practitioner, a boxer, a Judoka, a Kickboxer, or a Karateka, all of ur training will be useless if u don't have the courage & wit to use ur style properly in a real life situation.

Just to share my experience, I was in some situations w/c would have ended up w/ me losing my life if not for my Taekwondo training. The first time was when I was held up by 3 thugs who had knives w/ them. The second time was when I was attacked by some guys whom I believe to be drunk. In both instances, I came out alive & is proud to say that my training paid off. I didn't use any high-flying, spinning or fancy kicks. Simple 45 & punch kicks were enough to send those thugs to the ground.

In real life situations, u don't aim for points or submission. When faced w/ someone who won't think twice in killing u, u go for those techniques w/c are most effective, no matter how simple they are. Quick & simple but strike hard! However, if ur mind doesn't know how to react in situations like that & fear gets the best of u, ur in deep trouble no matter what ur fighting style is.

Edited by Turninglong
  • 7 months later...

Guys what do you think of this martial arts combo?

Kickboxing for offense + Aikido for defense

Kickboxing - Good variation of attacks

- has speed and power.

Aikido - Removes the strength gap between you and your opponent. It uses your enemy's attack strength against them.

- Executes powerful counter attacks.

- (difficult to master ;p)

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Guys what do you think of this martial arts combo?

Kickboxing for offense + Aikido for defense

Kickboxing - Good variation of attacks

- has speed and power.

Aikido - Removes the strength gap between you and your opponent. It uses your enemy's attack strength against them.

- Executes powerful counter attacks.

- (difficult to master ;p)

Your combo is good...

But if you ask me do MMA but focus on the art that you really love =)

As for me i know MMA But i focused on arnis and Karate (and kama sutra LOL)

Every discipline is great, theres no perfect one but if you use your chosen discipline properly it will help improve most of your life's aspect starting from the physical =P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i want to learn aikido

Aikido is a good self-defense martial art. Aside from the techniques you learn, you can apply the philosophy in everyday life. You should really try it out. There are lots of dojos out there and the members are always willing to help you learn.

• 5 weeks later...

In instances where an unarmed assailant holds you down by grabbing your clothes, a judo throw or trip can be useful to get away / create distance.

In cases where you're cornered in a tight space (locker room bully confrontatons), a good boxing background can more or less help you land the right types of punches with accuracy and also defend properly.

In cases where you're forcibly taken down by a single but bigger unarmed attacker, jiu jitsu can effectively put leverage to your advantage.

As simple as a belt (buckle end) can be used effectively for defense if you have arnis/cali escrima background...What more if you get access to sharp, pointed objects.

Believe me, taekwondo practitioners have some of the best footwork out there. May not be heavy hitters but the smart ones use their superb agility to evade WHILE throwing momentum-disrupting snaps to make attackers think twice.

There are benefits from each art. Just have to know what they are and use what's only necessary in a given situation.