His Airness Michael Jordan

revo20012000

first of all, how should we define or measure GREATEST? im a MJ admirer since his rookie days (i just recently lost my very dear magazine featuring that rookie MJ), but im not a blind worshipper. To say MJ is the most famous sports figure this side of Muhammad Ali no brainer; but to say the he's THE GREATEST EVER to play the sport James Naismith invented is somehow giving injustice to Bill Russel's 11 rings, to Abdul Jabbar's total career points, to Stockton's career total assists, to Kobe's recent 81 points, to whoever whatever their career records and stats they possess.

Greatest Ever?, just my opinion, it's better to say most famous ever. It's the media, yes, that dollar-hungry media that made Jordan the greatest. they are the one who made MJ the ultimate immortal hero in that fairy land called NBA. Why not? No player in sports have brought much money to the league, to nbc, tnt, espn, nike, gatorade other than the great MJ. then pres. clinton even admitted that jordan had contributed more than him benefitting the economy of america. To say that it was Jordan who bring the NBA to a more higher level of popularity in international level is understatement. The name Michael Jordan is even more famous than NBA, Chicago Bulls, Nike, and other things related to him. There are even some issues about MJ's "divinity".

My point? the issue of being the greatest depends on how you see it. you cant say MJ is the greatest 3 pointer. Each of us has his own version of whose the greatest. For majority, it's MJ, For PBPopoy, it's Kobe, for edc, it's Bird, for airmax, it's Lamar Odom :D , for lithuanians, it's arvydas sabonis, for brazilians, its oscar schmidt, for Greg Ostertag's wife and children, it's him, for me, it's muhammad ali :rolleyes:

Edited by kanto-terrorist

Here is a quote from Kobe Bryant. "He's one of the greatest players of all time," Bryant said."It's not fair for us younger players to be compared to him. We can't measure up to him. He's Michael Jordan, and I'm Kobe Bryant."

everytime a flashy player comes in the league, he will be compared and measured against jordan. starting from penny hardaway, grant hill, stackhouse, kobe, tmac, carter, and now dwade and lebron; the media is really becoming unfair for those comparison bullzhits. why cant they accept the player as they are? pag hindi naka measure sa success ni jordan, he will be branded as failure? kaya yan minsan ang gusto ko Kobe, since the start he was being compared and insulted whenever he fails to measure up against MJ, pero eto, lumalaban at gumagawa ng sarili nyang pangalan, one thing vince carter, tmac, penny hardaway and grant hill failed to do.

Michael Jordan has ELEVATED the game of Basketball.

Greatest is a vague adjective when we are talking about players.

There are different era, Wilt, Robertson, Russel, West, Magic, Bird, Jabbar, etc. etc. It is very hard to compare. Basketball has evolved thru time. Once a game of height and skills, now a game of science. MJ will forever be a GREAT ball player no question about that. But GREATEST, it's too early to tell.

Nice posts kanto-terrorist..

You can add me, revi, on your list.. for me its Tim Duncan as the greatest player.. TD all the way.. Nuff said..

MJ is not the best or the greatest athlete or even the basketball player who ever lived.. you're very correct.. but he is sure to have revolutionized basketball.. and made it a global phenomenon.. And as you said.. that is a no-brainer.. But he is considered as "arguably the greatest basketball player who ever lived.." May arguably naman eh.. but because of his popularity people blindly think that he is indeed the greatest BB player.. And that is reality.. (Ito ang gusto kong sabihin sa Jordan bashers sa NBA thread..) Just like Kobe being a good player.. Let us give respect where respect is due..

Bill Russel won 11 championships.. Jordan only won 6.. Tim Duncan won 3 championships, two MVP's, ROY without scoring a bunch of points.. How's that for greatest.. But tama si KT, ano nga ba ang measuring stick ng pagiging greatest? It really is dependent on the eyes who see the player.. I am not also a blind fan of Duncan.. if he mistakes.. I ridicule him..

So.. MJ is not the greatest.. no one is.. but he is sure is the most popular.. He should not be called jograd by EDC and Gift of Game.. He is MJ the revolutionary.. the Jumpman.. one of the best known logos of all time.. MJ may not be the best.. but in the eyes of a lot of people he is.. Nuff said..

You can add me, revi, on your list.. for me its Tim Duncan as the greatest player.. TD all the way.. Nuff said..

MJ is not the best or the greatest athlete or even the basketball player who ever lived.. you're very correct.. but he is sure to have revolutionized basketball.. and made it a global phenomenon.. And as you said.. that is a no-brainer.. But he is considered as "arguably the greatest basketball player who ever lived.."  May arguably naman eh.. but because of his popularity people blindly think that he is indeed the greatest BB player.. And that is reality.. (Ito ang gusto kong sabihin sa Jordan bashers sa NBA thread..) Just like Kobe being a good player.. Let us give respect where respect is due..

Bill Russel won 11 championships.. Jordan only won 6.. Tim Duncan won 3 championships, two MVP's, ROY without scoring a bunch of points.. How's that for greatest.. But tama si KT, ano nga ba ang measuring stick ng pagiging greatest?  It really is dependent on the eyes who see the player.. I am not also a blind fan of Duncan.. if he mistakes..  I  ridicule him..

So.. MJ is not the greatest.. no one is.. but he is sure is the most popular.. He should not be called jograd by EDC and Gift of Game.. --- GOG should not have been here.. sorry Gift..  He is MJ the revolutionary.. the Jumpman.. one of the best known logos of all time.. MJ may not be the best.. but in the eyes of a lot of people he is.. Nuff said..

If Gift is reading this.. I am sorry.. hindi ka kasama sa list sa tumatawag na Jograd kay Jordan..

I-co-correct ko lang so.. Again I am sorry.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

i think g_0_g was just riding edc to ground.. ;)

Pa-reply lang kahit OT..

Yup.. As I have said.. Mr. Mod.. Nagkamali ako na hindi ko binasa buong post ni Gift sa NBA thread.. My mistake.. Was so overwhelmed kasi on the first statements eh.. Sana naman patawarin ako ni Gift.. baka kasi gumanti at bugbugin ni Wallace si Duncan ulit sa depensa kapag nag-meet ulit ang Mo Town at ang Spurs.. :lol:

Yup.. As I have said.. Mr. Mod.. Nagkamali ako na hindi ko binasa buong post ni Gift sa NBA thread.. My mistake.. Was so overwhelmed kasi on the first statements eh.. Sana naman patawarin ako ni Gift.. baka kasi gumanti at bugbugin ni Wallace si Duncan ulit sa depensa kapag nag-meet ulit ang Mo Town at ang Spurs..  :lol:

no problem nabasa ko nga din sa kabila.. :lol:

as for MJ and the other greats, there is no one single player who can be called the greatest.. he is one of the greatest, "probably" maybe even the greatest but not the single greatest.. :)

Guest jason_kidd

nice thread here.. anyway, for me mj is the greatest.. some may react but to each his own i guess... the greatest ever, because winning a championship in the nba is very hard to achieve.. elusive nga diba.. jordan did it amazingly... won 6 championships without a dominant big man... i know isiah did it, rick barry but compared to mike.. hes above everyone else... jordan is a ballhog for seven years and won his first championship when he learned to pass the ball... the bulls relied on the triangle, sharp cuts, fluid offense and execution... what else can you ask from him???? and considering his teammates... he made them better.. but after his career, who had a brilliance in his game?? they have their moments, yes but compared to their former team, theyre lost....

who can make nike a household name and generate billions of profit for it other than his airness michael jordan,himself.naalala ko 'nun pag bball shoes adidas and converse lang ang kilala. if not the greatest mj is definitely up there among them.although,i was a bit disenchanted by him when he came back out of retirement for the second time to join the wizards, that didn't diminished my respect for what he has achieved during his playing days.

mejo o.t. pero hats off din ako dun sa other mj, magic johnson. tried styling my game with him as a role model pero ang hirap pala. hahaha!

first of all, how should we define or measure GREATEST? im a MJ admirer since his rookie days (i just recently lost my very dear magazine featuring that rookie MJ), but im not a blind worshipper.  To say MJ is the most famous sports figure this side of Muhammad Ali no brainer; but to say the he's THE GREATEST EVER to play the sport James Naismith invented is somehow giving injustice to Bill Russel's 11 rings, to Abdul Jabbar's total career points, to Stockton's career total assists, to Kobe's recent 81 points, to whoever whatever their career records and stats they possess.

Greatest Ever?, just my opinion, it's better to say most famous ever.  It's the media, yes, that dollar-hungry media that made Jordan the greatest.  they are the one who made MJ the ultimate immortal hero in that fairy land called NBA.  Why not? No player in sports have brought much money to the league, to nbc, tnt, espn, nike, gatorade other than the great MJ.  then pres. clinton even admitted that jordan had contributed more than him benefitting the economy of america.  To say that it was Jordan who bring the NBA to a more higher level of popularity in international level is understatement.  The name Michael Jordan is even more famous than NBA, Chicago Bulls, Nike, and other things related to him.  There are even some issues about MJ's "divinity". 

My point? the issue of being the greatest depends on how you see it.  you cant say MJ is the greatest 3 pointer.  Each of us has his own version of whose the greatest.  For majority, it's MJ, For PBPopoy, it's Kobe, for edc, it's Bird, for airmax, it's Lamar Odom :D , for lithuanians, it's arvydas sabonis, for brazilians, its oscar schmidt, for Greg Ostertag's wife and children, it's him, for me, it's muhammad ali :rolleyes:

Wow naman. Hindi ka talaga blind worshipper. yan ang tama kay jordan famous ever.

MJ is not the best or the greatest athlete or even the basketball player who ever lived.. you're very correct.. but he is sure to have revolutionized basketball.. and made it a global phenomenon.. And as you said.. that is a no-brainer.. But he is considered as "arguably the greatest basketball player who ever lived.."  May arguably naman eh.. but because of his popularity people blindly think that he is indeed the greatest BB player.. And that is reality.. (Ito ang gusto kong sabihin sa Jordan bashers sa NBA thread..) Just like Kobe being a good player.. Let us give respect where respect is due..

Bill Russel won 11 championships.. Jordan only won 6.. Tim Duncan won 3 championships, two MVP's, ROY without scoring a bunch of points.. How's that for greatest.. But tama si KT, ano nga ba ang measuring stick ng pagiging greatest?  It really is dependent on the eyes who see the player.. I am not also a blind fan of Duncan.. if he mistakes..  I  ridicule him..

So.. MJ is not the greatest.. no one is.. but he is sure is the most popular.. He should not be called jograd by EDC and Gift of Game.. He is MJ the revolutionary.. the Jumpman.. one of the best known logos of all time.. MJ may not be the best.. but in the eyes of a lot of people he is.. Nuff said..

Sori nasanay ksi ako jograd tawag ko kay jordan. kasi dati nung sumikat si jordan sA slam dunks tawag sa mga feeling jordan maglaro, JUMPING JOGRAD.

sige hindi ko sasabihin na ganun, jordan na.

It will always be very difficult to put a finger on who's really the greatest. Every era had it's great player/s and then there are also those who played and existed beyond the realm of just being great players. They were almost demi-God like. They carried the game on their shoulders and smiled through all of it without hardly breaking a sweat. These were players who didn't only played the game but help define and redefine it over its glorious history. Legends like Mikan, Cousy, Russel, Chamberlain. West, Erving, Magic, Larry the Legend and of course MJ came and rose timely to bring the game to the next level. Each passing the baton of greatness to the next and with each pass the game is both elevated and remains to be the game. My generation had Michael Jordan. And we are greatful for the previlage to watch him play the game, carry it and bring it to what it is today. The new generation of stars will always be in the shadows not only of MJ but the other past NBA greats as well until they take the baton passed on to them responsibly and take the game to where it should go next. Until the game reaches its next destination in its continuing evolution, the new generation of stars cannot be greater or even treated as equally great as their predecessors. Play the game, love the game, serve the game well and the game will reward its best with greatness. It always has and it always will.

you should always look beyond statistics to judge who the great players are.

i think MJ is the best player of all time because of:

1. He was competetive and will do everything to win. The best performance I've seen so far by any athlete was that game in, i think, game 5 of '97 finals against the Utah Jazz. MJ had a stomach flu and was physically weak. His teammates had to physically carry him to the bench during timeouts. Against all physical odds, he carried his team to victory and actually made that crucial 3 pointer that won them the game. It was just sheer determination to win.

2. He demands excellence. I've seen MJ in Rodman's face or whoever his teammates were that were not trying hard. As he said, he could not accept not trying.

3. He respected the game. He did not do anything that will harm the image of the nba.

4. He made his teammates look better. Remember the pass to Steve Kerr in game 6 of '97 finals. Steve Kerr's basket sealed them the title.

5. He made game winning shots not only in regular season but most importantly in playoffs and finals. He made shots that changed the tempo of the game. That beautiful lay-up in game 2 of '91 finals against the Lakers. That running jumper against Phoenix in '93 finals. That winning jumper on top of the key in game 1 of '97 finals against the Jazz.

6. He is a complete player. Most people forget that MJ is also a good defensive player. At one time he led the nba in scoring and steals (although AI did that also). MJ was named to nba all defensive team I think 7 or 8 times.

if i remember it right the jumping joe ward moniker which later on was corrupted to be jumping jograd refers to the then ginebra import,joe ward.

Baka sa lugar nyo ganyan sa lugar namin iba. kasi pag nag-aasaran kami ng friends ko naalala ko yung word na jograd.

Naalala ko si jograd de la torre.

Edited by edc

Mahirap sabihing Greatest si Jordan, unfair kala, Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Bob Cosy, Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, etc (to name quite a few)

Kanya-kanyang panahon lang yan eh. Iba ang panahon ng mga players mentioned above, iba rin ang technology.

Hindi ka wide-spread ang NBA tulad nung 1960's, so walang masyadong EXPOSURE. I believe you can blame media for not exposing the Great Players of the 60', 70's, 80's too much because of technology na rin on that period.

Those are the players who pioneered the game.

I believe nahaluan na rin ng much HYPE ang popularity ni Jordan.

^^^yea, got it right hype. hype+winning attitude+real/reel life hightlights made jordan a god. anyway, no other cager have made majority of fans got crazy more than what mj did. oh, i forgot, it's jordan who made these dollar-hungry media and league people filthy rich. If ever Lebron can surpass all the revenues and $$$s MJ gave to these people (from the league, media, endorsed commodities, etc.) they will also worship him like MJ. Oh yes, speaking of Lebron, these media are also the same culprit that crown Bronnie to be the King, the true heir to the throne, barely just out of high school. The league, the media, nike, etc desperately need another michael for them to tickle once again the crazy fan's fantasy for them to earn more money..... so all in all, it's really more about money....

If only Jabbar or Bill Russell can bring that much money to the NBA,(or american economy as well,) then they should be the Basketball God, not MJ. But what people buy is the drama, the thrill, the showtime only MJ can provide. Kahit mas konti ang ring nya kesa kay russell (6 against 11), kahit 3rd lang sya sa total career pts, kahit di sya ng 3 pt champion ala bird, kahit may mga pagkakamali pa rin sya as a person, (sugarol, babaero, malakas mang asar, etc.) the important thing is that, he makes people buy; that why for most, he's the greatest. Kahit ata a palaya i endorse nya, maraming bibili at kakain. he's the perfect and ultimate marketing tool. I should know, nung college ako inuubos ko baon ko maipambili ko lang ng basketball cards ni MJ. mas malupit barkada ko, roughly P10,000+ na nagagastos nya aside from MJ's face tattoo, for those MJ items collection, halos sambahin na nya.

When Jordan entered the league.. he came in as the 3rd pick overall.. Hindi masyadong hyped up.. So I don't think hype really made the man.. his contributions made people see that he is the greatest ever..

He made the Bulls contenders.. his never say die attitude.. his clutch baskets (ever since college).. his highlight reels.. his personality.. his looks.. his demeanor.. all good points made him the basketball god that he is considered to be by many.. (My BB God is Duncan kaya hindi ako kasama dun.. hehe!!).. For me, MJ made his own hype.. his own mark.. not marketing.. it helped but without his own actions.. marketing will never succeed..

Lebron came in as the #1 pick overall.. was offered lucrative contracts by Upper Deck and Nike.. and was monickered as "King Lebron.." That is what I call hype.. Lebron has not proved anything yet but he was being marketed as the "next heir to the throne.." kaya nga the "king" eh.. He was even wearing #23.. Talagang makikita mo kung sino idol nitong batang ito..

While Jordan, had to prove a lot of things.. after his rookie season he was injured and many turned their backs on him.. saying he won't be the same anymore.. the Bulls suffered while he sat down for several months.. and was ridiculed.. He had to prove that he is worthy of the #3 pick.. Is that hype?

There was one game where LBJ only scored 14 points but still his popularity did not wane.. Yun ang hype.. He has not really put the Cavs on the map.. (as they have not gone to the playoffs just yet).. but people are still believers.. Yan ang hype.. :thumbsdownsmiley:

players have there own era in yrs wen they steps in the nba..... all of the big names r there.... the only thing jordan has his big name in the heart of many is coz he earn it from the start...

bulls in his era was also not that good... w the piston blocking there path they only got in playoffs... then they come by step by step....

every one even me dont know who is jordan is... in the time w bird, magic, and thomas. but he earn that name and was respected by many.....

thats why MJ is known not in scoring. but in knocking last second shots.... :cool: always have reply in his collage days wen he knock the last shot in carolina... against the cavs he did it again..... and last one against the jazz.... :boo:

so he earn his respect from other people...... :wub:

Jordan was the best player for his generation. Basketball needed somebody like Jordan and he elevated the game to new heights. Maybe Bird, Magic, Shaq, Kobe or LBJ would have done the same for basketball but we will never know. What is clear is that Jordan stepped up to the plate and delivered. It was his game and it was his time. With tongue wagging, everybody wanted to be like Mike. MJ grew up with his own basketball heroes and had to prove himself to be able to step out of their shadows and claim his place as the next annointed one. The jury still out on the next generation of stars. The basketball Gods will crown its next greatest when the time comes.