• Please log in to reply
3466 replies to this topic

#3461 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12326 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

It could be that this wanker did not have a normal childhood, or at least a normal teenhood. If he indulged in that harmless pastime of pagtambay in his youth, he would never rail against tambays now. Maybe he was a sheltered doofus, a mama's boy, always in the house, never venturing out. Of course, who would hang out with a teen who is demented? And of course, dudes would sometimes go shirtless. We live in a tropical country, you dumbass. Stop foisting your twisted worldview on us, you loon.

#3462 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:39 AM

It was right before that second semis between England and Croatia for the right to meet France in the Finals. There was this cruel joke - A Frenchman commented to an Englishman in a bar -"So you're meeting Croatia on Thursday? Funny. We're also meeting them on Sunday."

And just like that - the English were "gutted" and missed that chance for a second championship. 

At least one of my favorites, France, is still there!

cheers!

#3463 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:00 AM

Heard some netizens carping about how France is engaging in "slavery", what with all those players of African descent in their winning team. These illiterates should know that these players were born and raised in France - yes, born in France and grew up in France, which is a far cry from all those Fil-shams plying their trade in the PBA, born and nurtured in the States and just coming over here to earn money. Ditto with the Azkals, but the footballers have no choice. 

Diversity is here to stay, whether misplaced or not.

#3464 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 12:23 AM

The start of the Tour de France ran right smack in the middle of the World Cup, so wasn't able really get into it till now.

As per my themed readings haha, after the 2 football books during the World Cup, I am now into a Tour de France book quite belatedly. First time to read something about the Tour and its history. 

It's quite depressing. Doping pala existed even during the 60's - amphetamines, sugars, although in primitive form then, and no dope testing until 1968, this after the British rider Tom Simpson died during a Mont Ventoux climb in 1967. Amphetamines were found in his stomach, but not in his bloodstream.

The other cyclists protested that it was not drugs that killed Simpson. The book put it eloquently when it argued that it was like somebody saying he did not commit  bank robbery as he was only driving the getaway car.

The great French rider Jacques Anquetil vehemently protested the advent of dope testing, asking why they should be tested. He said that bikers are just plain entertainers. Nobody tests the French singer Jonny Halliday for drugs after giving a rousing performance. haha. May point.

Now before totally leaving soccer behind, English football fans are always adamant that a club manager should have been a former player himself to be effective in his post. To which a renowned manager, who was not a player himself, replied, "I didn't know you had to be a horse first to become a jockey."

Touche. But I know nothing about fencing. Yet.

#3465 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

Can somebody please tell Tom Cruise not to do his own stunts. 

We need him for more MI films, and if Fallout is any indication, the franchise is getting better and better. lol! Love it!

Never imagined you can do a long and brutal fight scene in a men's room, and three grown guys slugging it out INSIDE  a cubicle. haha. Great!

And I think this is the first time I've seen a helicopter chase, right down to their inevitable crash and sliding into each other on a rocky plateau. whew! absolutely no time to take a breath watching that scene.

And of course, seeing Rebecca Ferguson again really took my breath away again........

Love those freckles......hmmmm

#3466 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

Learning is truly endless.

Word origins delight me, if for no other reason that they give me half-tingles and half-tickles. Of course there's a word for a half-tingle and a half-tickle, which is shchekotiki.

Okay let's leave that oddity. Words that get adopted in English from other languages always surprise me. There are the obvious ones of course. Sashimi and shiatsu from Japanese, smorgasbord from Swedish, sauna from Finnish. The surprising ones are plunder, from the Vikings, or even penguin, from Wales. Elixir is Arabic, but marmalade is not French, but Portuguese. Kiosk is Turkish, berserk and geyser are Icelandic. From Hawaii of course are ukulele and lei and aloha but we should thank our lucky stars that humuhumunukunukuapuaa, which is a fish with a snout like a pig, did not prosper in English.

But I still dream of the day when I would finally get a US visa and set foot in Oahu and find myself in a flowery Hawaiian eatery, wearing of course a Hawaiian shirt and swaying with the wind, and plainly ordering from a local:

"Okay I'll have a plate of steamed humuhumunukunukuapuaa, please!"

lol!

#3467 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12326 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:12 AM

“Nobody embodies more fully the connection between the African-American spiritual, the blues, R. & B., rock and roll—the way that hardship and sorrow were transformed into something full of beauty and vitality and hope.” 

Barack Obama said this, after Aretha Franklin performed in the White House. 

The Queen of Soul is gone. Many may not know her, in these days of easy music and undeserving celebrity, but she lives on.

She has gone immortal on me ever since Becker and Fagen sang:

Hey Nineteen,

That's 'Retha Franklin.

She don't remember 

The Queen of Soul

It's hard times befallen

The Soul Survivors

She thinks I'm crazy

But I'm just growing old.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users