How Do Filipinos View Balikbayans?

yung iba po mayabang...the dollar rate does some strange things to people sometimes. i wonder what will happen if 1 peso=50 dollars :D

being nice shouldn't change when one changes nationalities

but if you're not that kind of balikbayan, then consider yourself special hehe :thumbsupsmiley:

masyado sila minsan pa obvious na galing sila sa tate, japan, uae, etc... like i care? ...i've met some customers na kala mo e kung sino. ..kakatawa lang talaga sila. napapa taas na lang kilay ko. kausapin ba naman ng english ang kargador namin..hello?? e sympre pa smile smile lang tong kargador namin at magtatagalog minsan...tapos marunong naman pala mag tagalog, ay sus! buti pa minsan ibang foreigners e nagtatagalog.

my cousins lived in canada for like 10 years na pero pag nagkikita kami or usap sa phone e tagalog din, wala syang accent. even my siblings mag 2 yrs palang...walang arte sa pagsalita. altho' d mo ma blame yung iba kc don na pinaganak at lumaki e, so talagang slang na.

Meron nga 6 months lang hindi na raw marunong mag Tagalog.

true yon, OA nga eh pagnakakarinig ako ng ganon, ito pa classic, ung mga pinay na nakaasawa ng foreigner hahhahahha, im sorry, pero hell, u know what i mean.. super hangin, dinaig pa ang asawa sa pagkaslang, and kala mo kung sino ang yabaaaaaaaaaang, tapos u'll find out na katulong pla sya before nung nameet nya ung asawa nya, haaay. hindi naman sa nangmamata ako pero i think they deserve to be treated with contempt hahhahahah... :blush:

Yung iba, bumabalik dito para lang magyabang. Madali naman makita kasi wala naman talaga silang kailangan gawin dito. O kaya laging nagrereklamo sa traffic, sa usok, atbp. They did everything and everything to immigrate (I'm not talking about OFWs). They clawed, lied, groveled, borrowed and/or whored just to live in North America or Europe. Then they come back after two or three years, just to let everyone know how great their life abroad has been (totoo kaya?). Ewan. Ginawa na nga ang lahat para umalis, e bumalik pa.

Then there are those who really miss our lovely PI, but can't come back so easily because of personal, financial, or professional considerations. But when they somehow manage to return for a visit, they act and speak just like us. Just like old times, as they say. These are the ones you appreciate.

• 1 month later...

may mga balikbayan na bumabalik lang para ipamukha sa iba na mataas na ang antas ng pamumuhay nila sa ibang bansa...ang tingin naman ng iba sa atin..totoo nga iyon. kay apag may balik bayan iniispi agad ng iba "bigtime" at mapera yung taong yun..tapos pa slang slang pa at accent accent e gago pala sila e parang hindi sila dito nanggaling diba..i just cant believe na after just spending a couple of years sa ibang bansa makakalimutan mu na ang magtagalog...that's crap. :thumbsdownsmiley:

pero meron din naman akong mga kaibigan na balikbayan na sobrang ok..uuwi dito, tatambay, amats dito amats dun..buhay pinoy talaga..pati salita hindi nagbago tapos mga 10yrs or more na sila sa ibang bansa at may sarili na silang properties dun..tapos ang communication namin sa kanila e parang local lang, email, chat, txt tsaka tawag..talagang tropa talaga...updated kaming lahat. pag may happenings dito sa pinas like isa sa tropa namin may binyag o kaya ikakasal..uuwi yun..not to brag or sumthing but because gusto niya pag may mga major events ng barkada e nandun siya..

well probably ganun lang ka solid ang barkadahan namin :thumbsupsmiley:

just my 2 cents

When you live in a foreign country you tend to compare the lifestyle you had back in the Philippines and were you are currently living. Different strokes for different folks. I in the other hand like it here in the U.S. You get to be more independent, you get to be more agressive(since you are the "different person"), and more hard working. No doubt i love the Philippines, but with the way things are goin' on right now you gotta wake up. Corruption? Poverty? s**t the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.. Whats gonna happen to the Philippines in 10 years? How are your kids gonna survive? I took the chance here in the U.S. and thank god I'm doin' ok. You see here it doesnt matter what you do for a living, as long as its a decent job and it feeds you. so what if you work as a waiter or janitor or whatever kinda job you diss back in P.I. its still gives you a home to live at and food on the table. You work minimum in the Philippines how could you survive? 3 kids? milk, rent, food, kulang pa sweldo mo.. Sayang ang Pilipinas sa mga KURAKOT nating gobyerno. You get what im saying? well to each is own.. this is just my opinion.

So, what are you saying? The corruption, poverty, inequitable distribution of wealth are major porblems that you could not hack? So you bail out and accept any kind of work in another country? You think that the only people who get rich in the Philippines are ones who steal from government? Or ones who exploit the poor? You bewail the problems ofthe system but bail out and refuse to make an effort to change the situation.

It may take time to change the way things work here. But it does not take much. Just do what you do to the best of your abilities, refuse to compromise on irregular procedures, and never back down on issues of integrity.

You know, people who steal be it from government or someone else do so because they are too impatient to wait to improve their lot. In my opinion, guys who bail out of their country are not much better in the sense that they also could not wait to see a better life. They want it NOW, NOW NOW.

Well, you didn't get it NOW, NOW, NOW in the land of Homeland Security did you? Sure, you drive that car that you know you would never get to own in the Philippines, but that is because you have to drive zillions of miles to get to work that job you think we in the Philippines like to diss.

That is fine, but now that you have chosen, bear in mind that you no longer have any right to grouse about how bad you think it may be in the Philippines. Just watch us do what you thought could not be done if you stayed.

Your US of A? In a few years, that's going to be eaten alive by the combined asian economies of China, Japan, Taiwan, and the other countries including this country whose system you have such a low opinion of. You may say 'sayang.' I say good riddance.

take it easy, boomouse. i can see the veins popping out the sides of your forehead. no need to get so angry. kinda makes me wonder if you are indeed as happy there in the RP as you say you are (o, hindi ko sinabing PI, ha).

you know what, we also have pinoy tourists who come here to the u.s. and some of them can get quite irritating as well. they also dole out their share of "naku hindi namin ginagawa iyan sa pilipinas". they make fun of me for helping my wife with the housework and care of our children, they say i have no life because i cannot make weekly trips to massage parlors or ktv's, they feel sorry for me because i am faithful to my wife, why daw do i have to be friendly with the 'hired help' like waiters, grocery cashiers, bakit daw namin kailangan 'kaladkarin' ang mga anak namin sa lahat ng lakad, etc.

but hey, they will only be here for a while so puede namang pagpasensyahan. and hindi naman lahat, eh, some lang. siguro ganyan din kaming mga balikbayan sa pilipinas, some good, some bad. maybe you can also make pasensya. don't worry, uuwi din naman kami. our dollars are bound to run out in 4 to 5 weeks and then we will head back to our 'kawawa' lives in california, new york, canada or kung saan man.

we may all be filipinos but like it or not, we lead different lives in different societies and cultures, being from different parts of the world. we have to accept this reality and respect each others differences. konting pasensya sana.

i agree with what boomouse said. leaving the country is kinda like taking the easy way out. but so what? i dont see why we're all obligated to stay in the country when there is better living to be earned elsewhere.

there are some people who simply cant afford to stay in the country.

you may also be right about the USA eventually going down in the dumps. but then again, so what? ill just move to another country. i dont have any loyalty for the USA whatsoever. ill just move out of the country, just like how i moved out of the philippines. . im like those evil aliens from Independence Day, i stay in one planet and hop on to another planet when its resources are depleted. :lol: i am not loyal to any country, no muss.. no fuss!

because bottom line is, your loyalty should be towards your wife and kids who depend on you for a good living. im not saying nationalism is dead, not at all. all im saying is; put your family first, and everything else, second.

this is how i view balikbayans..

1. feeling nila importante sila.. kasi sila yung may pera..

2. they tend to compare everything here... "walang ganyan sa states"

3. suddenly they forgot how to ride a jeepney... For all i know before jeep lang palagi sinasakyan kasi can't afford sa taxi

4. large photoalbums in the sala.. para makita sa lahat na mga ignoramus na relatives... that they have been to disneyland,las vegas, los angeles ,newyork, slide slide sa snow... ganun....

5. big 24k necklaces... to show again to us ignoramus that they are already mighty monetarily... For all i know before na andito pa sila sa pinas, fancy jewelry lang ang kaya..

6. ayaw na mag ride nang tricycle...

7. slang slang

8. and many others too many to mention

* Remember balikbayans that you are born here..... No matter how much money, or success you have, you are still pinoys and still a stranger in that foreign land..

to the great & witty boomouse: you sir are biased towards balikbayans because 1, you hate the americans, and 2, i think a lot of it is just plain jealousy towards those who made the trek out and have better lives than you do. 3, you feel threatened because the PI (yeah that's right...PI) is going backwards while the rest of your neighbors from the east are running away trying to "eat the US alive". i'd rather hear u say your country is out to get the yanks rather than using china, japan, taiwan as punchlines and as a shield for your insecurity. so, instead of blaming your brothers (who did what they had to do for their family) for the shortcomings of your country, i suggest you pick up a sign and stand guard by the immigration counter @ NAIA and tell us why we shouldn't leave the country. or, you can shut your pie-hole and watch the mass exodus in an embassy near you. either way, i don't give a f*ck about what you think of the US and the balikbayans because we're out here doing what's good for our family. and when you say we're not welcome back there and that we're not filipinos, that's cool dude cuz i'm not going there to kiss your sorry ass, i'm there to see my lolo & lola where they treat me like a king. and i know for sure most filipinos do not share your point of view. so, if you gonna come out swinging against us...bring it on BIATCH! yeah, it's like that!

i view them as heroes of the country..

they left the country and now having their share of sacrifices (like home sickness, leaving their friends or loved ones) for the sake of gaining greener pastures. their achievement or blessings are usually shared with their families and loved ones. another is, their remittances helps the country's economy.

i view them as heroes of the country..

they left the country and now having their share of sacrifices (like home sickness, leaving their friends or loved ones) for the sake of gaining greener pastures. their achievement or blessings are usually shared with their families and loved ones. another is, their remittances helps the country's economy.

Are you referring to balikbayans or OFWs? You'd be 100% correct and I would agreed completely if you were talking about OFWs. Balikbayans? Those guys who left because they could not hack survival in their own country nor take the sacrifice of being an OFW? What's so heroic about that? Unnationalistic more like.

to the great & witty boomouse:    you sir are biased towards balikbayans because 1, you hate the americans, and 2, i think a lot of it is just plain jealousy towards those who made the trek out and have better lives than you do.  3, you feel threatened because the PI (yeah that's right...PI) is going backwards while the rest of your neighbors from the east are running away trying to "eat the US alive".  i'd rather hear u say your country is out to get the yanks rather than using china, japan, taiwan as punchlines and as a shield for your insecurity.  so, instead of blaming your brothers (who did what they had to do for their family) for the shortcomings of your country, i suggest you pick up a sign and stand guard by the immigration counter @ NAIA and tell us why we shouldn't leave the country.  or, you can shut your pie-hole and watch the mass exodus in an embassy near you.  either way, i don't give a f*ck about what you think of the US and the balikbayans because we're out here doing what's good for our family.  and when you say we're not welcome back there and that we're not filipinos, that's cool dude cuz i'm not going there to kiss your sorry ass, i'm there to see my lolo & lola where they treat me like a king.  and i know for sure most filipinos do not share your point of view.  so, if you gonna come out swinging against us...bring it on BIATCH!  yeah, it's like that!

Just because my vocal loathing for you balikbayans stings you jump to conclusions that:

1. I hate Americans. I do not. But neither do I have any fondness for them or their culture or their way of life.

2. I am jealous of your lot. I have been there. I worked at Apple Computer in Sta Clara in the mid-80s. I asked to be moved back to Asia. I was responsible for introducing and installing Macintosh computers then considered rich men's toys as poor publisher's typesetting and page layout systems. I dare say I was a success in your country of exile ahead of you. You think you live a better life than I do in the Philippines? I retired at 42. I'm 48. You still working? My son just left for graduate school in Sophia University in Tokyo. Where does your son go? I hope not some second rate community college in the seedy part of leatherneck suburbia. My daughter attends Assumption College which is a small school that has produced two presidents from opposing political fences. Do you kids go to any schools that have produced a president? No? How many dog catchers then?

3. The Philippines, going backwards? That's what you like to think to justify your self-imposed exile. And living with a glass ceiling over your career path, infifnitely more pollution and cancer causing stuff around you not to mention the discrimination that is not supposed to be there is proof positive that the only reason you could not take more steps backward is that wall you have pressing against your arse. You've got nowhere to go now bub.

4. You don't like to hear any talk about the US getting snowed by another country? Start reading the papers. Invest a little in your education and buy the Financial Times of London. Its that wide newspaper with the pink pages. They talk about the European Community almost everyday and how the Euro is slaughtering the US dollar in the world market. So why can't that happen in Asia?

5. The Philippines may not be big enough to take on the US but we're getting at you guys and we're getting you where it hurts. Ever heard of outsourcing? That's an industry that been growin at the rate 60% for the past five years in the Philippines. You know where the growth is coming from? You guessed it! Your good old US of A! Your American companies are pink-slipping your workers and giving their jobs to Filipinos who can do it better for cheaper and yet earn enough to match a bank manager's salary and standard of living. Oh, don't worry, we're only getting your service and customer-oriented jobs. The technical jobs like computer programming and design, that's all running away from the US and going to India. That's in Asia too you know. And then there are the American hospitals constantly begging your INS to allow increased hiring quotas for nurses and hospital staff. Don't worry, in a few months you'll hear of more US healthcare accredited and certified hospitals in Manila so American patients can just go to the Philippines for medical treatment? If you think that's far fetched then you deserve being where you are because it is already happening.

6. Sure the Philippines has shortcomings especially when you measure it by the yardsticks of American life and culture. America would have shortcomings too if measured by Philippine standards. Why you guys are still in the dark ages when it comes to measurement standards! I guess you have to buy petrol by the gallon because US made cars are so badly made and inefficient. Why, brand new Expeditions and Explorers in Manila are sold at bargain basement prices compared to smaller models from Japan.

7. I am not asking you to give a f*ck about what I think. This is a discussion board. and when you do react to what I write in whatever way, I've got news for you--you gave a f*ck.

8. Neither am I asking you to kiss my sorry ass because if you do it would be really sorry and seriously insulted. And that's not even mentioning the affront made on the stuff that likes to pass through it on a regular basis. I am glad you brought up the subject of not willing to kiss it. Thank you. I owe you.

9. If ever I do pick up a placard (a sign would say something like "no parking") and picket airport immigration counters, it would not stop you from leaving, it would say "good riddance" or "thank you for removing your carcass from my country."

10. You can come back here anytime as Americans or ex-Filipinos after all we even sometimes make the mistake of letting terrorists in but not with such dire results as the Americans when they goof on this point. And if it makes your lola happy, why, I'd be happy for her. That means she is hale, and healthy and continues to be blessed with intestinal fortitude.

11. As for being treated like a king, that's the first reason you left remember?

12. I'm am sorry this took so long. I was trying to pull my punches. But go right ahead and show me how long your arms are. I bet they reach all the way to your knees huh? It does, doesn't it? C'mon, you can tell us all, that way, you can make any mistake and even make a fool of yourself and we'll just ascribe it to an aberration of Darwinin theory.

I've been reading the posts on this thread and I still cannot understand where all the animosity toward balikbayans is coming from.

I for one am just a regular person who happens to live in the U.S. When people ask what my nationality is, I proudly state that I am Filipino. I can speak English with an American accent when I want to, but I can switch it on and off depending on whom I am speaking with. After being in California for more than 20 years, I still fluently speak, read, and write Tagalog.

I try to visit the Philippines at least once a year and derive great pleasure from such visits. I no longer have family over there but still have quite a few friends who seem to be happy to see me and spend time with me.

I was a minor when my father passed away. My mother, who is American, decided to bring her family to the U.S. She wanted to be close to her relatives. I grew up here, got married, had children, got widowed, and am now single-handedly raising my family here in California. I do have a gardener that visits every Wednesday and a cleaning lady who comes in on Fridays. I don't do much cooking, except on weekends when the kids are home. Then the 3 of us get in the kitchen and have a field day preparing meals we enjoy. It really is fun.

My daughter goes to Claremont Mckenna College and my son goes to Loyola Marymount, not exactly what you would call "second rate community colleges". Although my kids and I live comfortable lives, I am not a rich dad (but my home is not "in the seedy part of leatherneck suburbia" either). My daughter and my son had to earn grants and scholarships to be able to enter those schools.

If I were walking down the street in Makati, nobody would not even give me a second look. My fashion choices would not make anybody cringe. In other words, there is nothing about me that screams, what seems to be what is referenced here as the Balikbayan Stereotype. Would I still not be greeted with a smile and made to feel welcome? I guess not, by virtue of my being balikbayan, right?

I am always very conscious of the fact I am a visitor and behave accordingly. At hindi lang naman siguro ako ang ganito. Meron ding libu-libong balikbayan na pumupunta diyan na hindi naman mayayabang, pintasero, reklamador, o mapag-mataas. Alam din nila ang kanilang lugar.

You all have your own balikbayan perceptions, hopefully based on first-hand interaction or even second-hand knowledge man lang. All I ask is huwag niyo naman i-la-lahat. As with anything or anyone, there will always be exceptions. Don't forget that the noisy and obnoxious ones are the ones that attract the most attention. Try not to base your views on those types. The majority of balikbayans that I know are just simple people who work hard, scrimp and save to be able to visit their friends and relatives in the Philippines as often as possible. Sana naman hindi kung anu-anong mga pangit na conclusion ang isipin tungkol sa kanila.

Folks, just so we actually know what we're talking about, here's what a "balikbayan" is, as defined in Republic Act no. 6768:

"Sec. 2. Definition of Terms. — For purposes of this Act:

"(a) The term "balikbayan" shall mean a Filipino citizen who has been continuously out of the Philippines for a period of at least one (1) year, a Filipino overseas worker, or a former Filipino citizen and his family, as this term is defined hereunder, who had been naturalized in a foreign country and comes or returns to the Philippines; and

"(B) The term "family" shall mean the spouse and the children of the balikbayan who are not balikbayan in their own right traveling with the latter to the Philippines."

Note: Sorry for the smiley. I just can't get it out. It should read "b."

Edited by jt2003
So, what are you saying? The corruption, poverty, inequitable distribution of wealth are major porblems that you could not hack? So you bail out and accept any kind of work in another country? You think that the only people who get rich in the Philippines are ones who steal from government? Or ones who exploit the poor? You bewail the problems ofthe system but bail out and refuse to make an effort to change the situation.

It may take time to change the way things work here. But it does not take much. Just do what you do to the best of your abilities, refuse to compromise on irregular procedures, and never back down on issues of integrity.

You know, people who steal be it from government or someone else do so because they are too impatient to wait to improve their lot. In my opinion, guys who bail out of their country are not much better in the sense that they also could not wait to see a better life. They want it NOW, NOW NOW.

Well, you didn't get it NOW, NOW, NOW in the land of Homeland Security did you? Sure, you drive that car that you know you would never get to own in the Philippines, but that is because you have to drive zillions of miles to get to work that job you think we in the Philippines like to diss.

That is fine, but now that you have chosen, bear in mind that you no longer have any right to grouse about how bad you think it may be in the Philippines. Just watch us do what you thought could not be done if you stayed.

Your US of A? In a few years, that's going to be eaten alive by the combined asian economies of China, Japan, Taiwan, and the other countries including this country whose system you have such a low opinion of. You may say 'sayang.' I say good riddance.

FYI i am from a very prominent family in the Philippines. I was handling our family business back then, before China had been importing goods that were so cheap to sell in the bangketa of divisoria. We manufatured jeans to be sold localy. I dont think know how hard i worked for the company just to make our business boom. But how do you compete with these goods. the goods are so cheap wala pa nga sa puhunan namin. And how do they get to sell them so cheap? because labor in china is cheap? hell no!! because some government peeps are using these china goods as front to import drugs in the Philippines. Could us hard working businessmen do anything about it? WALA! kahit palitan nyo yung presidente, CORUPTION will always be there, same ways. the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer. the system has to be changed and i dont think anybodys doing anything about it.

yes i want NOW, NOW, NOW! because i have a family to feed. I want my kids to have a secure future. i have plans for my family. here in the U.S. we dont have maids to cook for us or do our chores. we do everything ourselves. It is really a matter of preference kung san ka mas aasenso. why would i stick it out there when i get more opportunities over here.

I love the Philippines and I never did turn my back. But things were just not going my way when i was there. I am here to work and feed my family hinde magyabang na naka punta ako ng amerika. so if you are hateing on balikbayans why not look at yourself first and think masaya ka sa bayan mo na nilamon ng sistema.

Edited by budhaman
take it easy, boomouse.  i can see the veins popping out the sides of your forehead.  no need to get so angry. kinda makes me wonder if you are indeed as happy there in the RP as you say you are (o, hindi ko sinabing PI, ha). 

you know what, we also have pinoy tourists who come here to the u.s.  and some of them can get quite irritating as well.  they also dole out their share of "naku hindi namin ginagawa iyan sa pilipinas".  they make fun of me for helping my wife with the housework and care of our children, they say i have no life because i cannot make weekly trips to massage parlors or ktv's,  they feel sorry for me because i am faithful to my wife, why daw do i have to be friendly with the 'hired help' like waiters, grocery cashiers, bakit daw namin kailangan 'kaladkarin' ang mga anak namin sa lahat ng lakad, etc.     

but hey, they will only be here for a while so puede namang pagpasensyahan.  and hindi naman lahat, eh, some lang.  siguro ganyan din kaming mga balikbayan sa pilipinas, some good, some bad.  maybe you can also make pasensya.  don't worry, uuwi din naman kami.  our  dollars are bound to run out in 4 to 5 weeks and then we will head back to our 'kawawa' lives in california, new york, canada or kung saan man. 

we may all be filipinos but like it or not, we lead different lives in different societies and cultures, being from different parts of the world.  we have to accept this reality and respect each others differences.  konting pasensya sana.

AMEN! ang hirap kase sa ibang pinoy masydong makitid ang utak! be resourceful, kung san mapapaganda pamilya mo dun ka!

Just because my vocal loathing for you balikbayans stings you jump to conclusions that:

1. I hate Americans. I do not. But neither do I have any fondness for them or their culture or their way of life.

2. I am jealous of your lot. I have been there. I worked at Apple Computer in Sta Clara in the mid-80s. I asked to be moved back to Asia. I was responsible for introducing and installing Macintosh computers then considered rich men's toys as poor publisher's typesetting and page layout systems. I dare say I was a success in your country of exile ahead of you. You think you live a better life than I do in the Philippines? I retired at 42. I'm 48. You still working? My son just left for graduate school in Sophia University in Tokyo. Where does your son go? I hope not some second rate community college in the seedy part of leatherneck suburbia. My daughter attends Assumption College which is a small school that has produced two presidents from opposing political fences. Do you kids go to any schools that have produced a president? No? How many dog catchers then?

3. The Philippines, going backwards? That's what you like to think to justify your self-imposed exile. And living with a glass ceiling over your career path, infifnitely more pollution and cancer causing stuff around you not to mention the discrimination that is not supposed to be there is proof positive that the only reason you could not take more steps backward is that wall you have pressing against your arse. You've got nowhere to go now bub.

4. You don't like to hear any talk about the US getting snowed by another country? Start reading the papers. Invest a little in your education and buy the Financial Times of London. Its that wide newspaper with the pink pages. They talk about the European Community almost everyday and how the Euro is slaughtering the US dollar in the world market. So why can't that happen in Asia?

5. The Philippines may not be big enough to take on the US but we're getting at you guys and we're getting you where it hurts. Ever heard of outsourcing? That's an industry that been growin at the rate 60% for the past five years in the Philippines. You know where the growth is coming from? You guessed it! Your good old US of A! Your American companies are pink-slipping your workers and giving their jobs to Filipinos who can do it better for cheaper and yet earn enough to match a bank manager's salary and standard of living. Oh, don't worry, we're only getting your service and customer-oriented jobs. The technical jobs like computer programming and design, that's all running away from the US and going to India. That's in Asia too you know. And then there are the American hospitals constantly begging your INS to allow increased hiring quotas for nurses and hospital staff. Don't worry, in a few months you'll hear of more US healthcare accredited and certified hospitals in Manila so American patients can just go to the Philippines for medical treatment? If you think that's far fetched then you deserve being where you are because it is already happening.

6. Sure the Philippines has shortcomings especially when you measure it by the yardsticks of American life and culture. America would have shortcomings too if measured by Philippine standards. Why you guys are still in the dark ages when it comes to measurement standards! I guess you have to buy petrol by the gallon because US made cars are so badly made and inefficient. Why, brand new Expeditions and Explorers in Manila are sold at bargain basement prices compared to smaller models from Japan.

7. I am not asking you to give a f*ck about what I think. This is a discussion board. and when you do react to what I write in whatever way, I've got news for you--you gave a f*ck.

8. Neither am I asking you to kiss my sorry ass because if you do it would be really sorry and seriously insulted. And that's not even mentioning the affront made on the stuff that likes to pass through it on a regular basis. I am glad you brought up the subject of not willing to kiss it. Thank you. I owe you.

9. If ever I do pick up a placard (a sign would say something like "no parking") and picket airport immigration counters, it would not stop you from leaving, it would say "good riddance" or "thank you for removing your carcass from my country."

10. You can come back here anytime as Americans or ex-Filipinos after all we even sometimes make the mistake of letting terrorists in but not with such dire results as the Americans when they goof on this point. And if it makes your lola happy, why, I'd be happy for her. That means she is hale, and healthy and continues to be blessed with intestinal fortitude.

11. As for being treated like a king, that's the first reason you left remember?

12. I'm am sorry this took so long. I was trying to pull my punches. But go right ahead and show me how long your arms are. I bet they reach all the way to your knees huh? It does, doesn't it? C'mon, you can tell us all,  that way, you can make any mistake and even make a fool of yourself and we'll just ascribe it to an aberration of Darwinin theory.

u r one bad motha! dang i luv this board. so, u used to be one of us? that explains it. congratulations on the retirement by the way. i wonder if it was really the trasfer thing that brought u home. maybe u gots fired by apple for being such a jackass. or ur animosity towards americans cuz they r better than u. couldn't get the promotion, eh? whatever dude, maybe u just suck at what u do. yah, thanx in return for getting ur carcass out of my country. and now u wanna know where my kids go to school? WTF! i could care less where urs go to school. huh? what? assumption what? i went to school that produced snoop dog biatch! first of all i'm 26 and have no kids. happily married to a nurse practitioner who didn't have to go through the INS. and yes i work and absolutely luv it. i'm livin my dream of flying for FEDEX. retire @ 42? hell no even if i wanted to. i'll keep flyin till they force me @ 60. this is what i luv to do and i ma keep doin it. not like u who sit all day long thumbing ur ass. so, what else u wanna know bout me? my favorite color? u wanna bash on the US? u're wasting ur time cuz i know all bout it in this board. i just go to the china thread. it's manilatonight dawg! people talk trash bout the US...that's why i'm here cuz i like the discussion. it's boring out in the pro-american forums. i've read it all... the dollar decline, outsourcing, terrorism, and what have yous. all dat stuff u said? it's old news buddy. don't ask me to read up cuz dat's all i do @ 35000 ft. and i don't cry over it cuz at the end of the day, it boils down to what's best for me and my family. i know dat goes the same for u. all that stuff u wrote is just for publicity, u don't really care bout all dat trash. or do u? then consider urself a low life cuz dat's what u r. u wanna compare lifestyles? come look @ my last paycheck if dat's what u want.

point being, irregardless of whether i'm a balikbayan, kano, traitor, hero or what...i'm goin back there to see my grandparents and relatives and nobody is gonna stop me. u got a problem with dat? we can settle it outside foo. and yah... i'm 5'11" with loooong arms and legs. i also have something that goes past my knees and u can cum suck it anytime. IT'S LIKE DAT!

• 2 weeks later...

SOME balikbayans are:

humble and down to earth

helpful and supportive to less fortunate friends and relatives; donates to philippine charities and other civic endeavors

didn't migrate to other countries to "escape" poverty"

didn't migrate because of inability to compete in the work environment

unpretentiously speaks speaks tagalog or native dialect even after having lived in another country for many, many years

gainfully employed professionals, respected in his/her field by co-workers

can afford to vacation anywhere else in the world (and do)

pays applicable philippine taxes

Edited by eagleyes
SOME balikbayans are:

humble and down to earth

helpful and supportive to less fortunate friends and relatives; donates to philippine charities and other civic endeavors

didn't migrate to other countries to "escape" poverty"

didn't migrate because of inability to compete in the work environment

unpretentiously speaks speaks tagalog or native dialect even after having lived in another country for many, many years

gainfully employed professionals, respected in his/her field by co-workers

can afford to vacation anywhere else in the world (and do)

pays applicable philippine taxes

thanks for your comments, eagleyes! count me as one of the above.

this is how i view balikbayans..

1. feeling nila importante sila.. kasi sila yung may pera..

2. they tend to compare everything here...  "walang ganyan sa states"

3. suddenly they forgot how to ride a jeepney... For all i know before jeep lang palagi sinasakyan kasi can't afford sa taxi

4. large photoalbums in the sala.. para makita sa lahat na mga ignoramus na relatives... that they have been to disneyland,las vegas, los angeles ,newyork, slide slide sa snow... ganun....

5. big 24k necklaces... to show again to us ignoramus that they are already mighty monetarily...  For all i know before na andito pa sila sa pinas, fancy jewelry lang ang kaya..

6. ayaw na mag ride nang tricycle...

7. slang slang

8. and many others too many to mention

* Remember  balikbayans that you are born here..... No matter how much money, or success you have, you are still pinoys and still a stranger in that foreign land..

naku di naman lahat ganyan ha!

1.) feeling ko importante sa akin ang mga relatives ko kaya marami akong pasalubong sa kanila.

2.)oo walang ganyan dito pero YUN ang na mi miss ng mga andito.

3.)di ko pede kalimutan ang pagsakay sa jeepney kasi yung mga relatives ko nasa province. kahit i can afford mag taxi nong andyan pa ako.

4.)ay mali... mga albums namin nasa bed room at ipapakita lang pag may gusto makakita. slide sa snow di big deal kasi pang karaniwan na lang po..:)

5.)ay ala akong 24k .. hanggang 10k lang me na sterling silver. :) nong andyan pa ako sa pinas di me nagsusuot ng fancy kasi allergy ako.

6.) yan ang pinaka gusto ko..actually marunong ako mag motor.. since may mga motor bikes ang mga pinsan ko.

7.) di nga ako slang eh..:) meron ako kilala andyan sya sa pinas...natuto mag ingles ala naman ginawa kundi mag ingles pero ANG BABAW naman. ;) as in! feeling tagala nya e ang galing nya pero mga ingles nya e wack! ;)

8.)many to mention din po... maraming filipino na pinoy pa rin. my parents nga e sinanay kami magtagalog kaya hanggang ngaun marunong pa kami. nag re renta kami ng tagalog movies kahit paminsan minsan. bumibili kami ng tilapia,galunggong,at mga gulay sa filipino store. abah! gustong gusto ko nga yung kornik na "BOY BAWANG" ang sarap kasi.:)

* yup lagi ko po nitatandaan na ako ay filipino at isinilang sa pinas.*

later,

lc

u r one bad motha!  dang i luv this board.  so, u used to be one of us?  that explains it.  congratulations on the retirement by the way.  i wonder if it was really the trasfer thing that brought u home.  maybe u gots fired by apple for being such a jackass.  or ur animosity towards americans cuz they r better than u.  couldn't get the promotion, eh?  whatever dude, maybe u just suck at what u do.  yah, thanx in return for getting ur carcass out of my country.  and now u wanna know where my kids go to school?  WTF!  i could care less where urs go to school.  huh?  what?  assumption what?  i went to school that produced snoop dog biatch!  first of all i'm 26 and have no kids.  happily married to a nurse practitioner who didn't have to go through the INS.    and yes i work and absolutely luv it.  i'm livin my dream of flying for FEDEX.  retire @ 42?  hell no even if i wanted to.  i'll keep flyin till they force me @ 60.  this is what i luv to do and i ma keep doin it.  not like u who sit all day long thumbing ur ass.    so, what else u wanna know bout me?  my favorite color?  u wanna bash on the US?  u're wasting ur time cuz i know all bout it in this board.  i just go to the china thread.  it's manilatonight dawg!  people talk trash bout the US...that's why i'm here cuz i like the discussion.  it's boring out in the pro-american forums.  i've read it all... the dollar decline, outsourcing, terrorism, and what have yous.  all dat stuff u said?  it's old news buddy.  don't ask me to read up cuz dat's all i do @ 35000 ft.  and i don't cry over it cuz at the end of the day, it boils down to what's best for me and my family.  i know dat goes the same for u.  all that stuff u wrote is just for publicity, u don't really care bout all dat trash.  or do u?  then consider urself a low life cuz dat's what u r.    u wanna compare lifestyles?  come look @ my last paycheck if dat's what u want.   

point being, irregardless of whether i'm a balikbayan, kano, traitor, hero or what...i'm goin back there to see my grandparents and relatives and nobody is gonna stop me.  u got a problem with dat?    we can settle it outside foo.  and yah... i'm 5'11" with loooong arms and legs.  i also have something that goes past my knees and u can cum suck it anytime.  IT'S LIKE DAT!

awww, the fob flip just flipped.

go ask your girlfriend to suck that long turd that drops below your knees. i'm not touching that s**t.

check out your paycheck? why should i bother with such a pedestrian thing? I haven't seen a paycheck in years. I like dividends. You think you earn enough to buy an island like mine? Because that is where i am as i write this. and yes, our broadband is wireless. even in northern palawan.

so you're a pilot? great profession. sort of like a truck driver with wings right? breaker, breaker pinoy leatherneck crash and burns!