Apple iPad

They're marketing it as a web device and yet it can't display some web pages correctly because it refuses to support Flash.

They're saying it's a media device where you can view videos, photos and play games yet the storage is so limited. C'mon, my music collection alone will use up more than half the storage space in iPad. Then there's my video collection...

Thing is: if you already own an iPhone or iPod touch, there's little motivation to buy this product...

The fact is, a lot of people were disappointed with the device (including a lot of Apple fans - not all, though-).

Will people actually buy it? We'll just have to see.

On the positive side, the screen looks gorgeous.

I can see this as a great email device, however.

Edited by artvader

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100129/tc_af...netapplefujitsu

Japan's Fujitsu says it made first 'iPad'

by Miwa Suzuki Miwa Suzuki – Fri Jan 29, 10:21 am ET

TOKYO (AFP) – Apple's new tablet PC is not the first product to be called the "iPad". Japan's Fujitsu says it launched one years ago, and the name has also been used for small engines and even bra inserts.

Amid the hype about Apple's latest offering, the device has been hailed as an "iPhone on steroids" and a "Kindle killer" that will upstage electronic book readers, but also mocked on chatrooms for evoking a feminine hygiene product.

Now it looks like Apple could have a trademark dispute on its hands.

Fujitsu Ltd. said its US subsidiary in 2002 launched the "iPad", a sleek handheld multimedia device with a 3.5-inch screen, used by retail store clerks to keep inventory data, scan barcodes and manage business operations.

Fujitsu's device has an Intel processor and a Microsoft operating system and supports both Wi-fi and Bluetooth connections.

In 2003, Fujitsu's US arm made a trademark application for the "iPad" name with the US Patent and Trademark Office, which is still pending and not yet registered, said Fujitsu spokesman Masao Sakamoto in Tokyo.

He said Fujitsu was yet to decide on how it may react to the launch of Apple's tablet computer, saying: "As we are now sorting out the facts, we have not decided on what action we may take."

A possible feud between Apple and Fujitsu has sparked debate on Japanese chatrooms, with one observer proposing: "Let's apply for as many 'i' such-and-such names as possible! We'll make money in the future!!"

Apple has been embroiled in trademark disputes with other companies before, including Cisco Systems, which launched its "iPhone" before Apple. The two companies settled the dispute in 2007, agreeing to share the name.

Professor Teruyuki Inoue, an IT sector expert at Daito Bunka University, said the "iPad" issue is unlikely to turn into a full-blown legal battle.

"They will probably have talks to settle this, given that the customers for their products do not overlap, and for the sake of their business ties in the future," Inoue told AFP by telephone.

He said he was not surprised the two companies had doubled up on the name, saying: "Everybody can think of an easy name like 'iPad.' It's not creative."

Indeed several other companies worldwide have had the same idea.

Germany's Siemens uses the trademark "iPad" for small engines and motors.

The Swiss-based microchip maker STMicroelectronics has reportedly also registered "IPAD", short for "Integrated Passive and Active Devices."

In Canada, the Ontario-based company Coconut Grove Pads Inc. has since 2007 made a line of bra inserts and shoulder pads called the "iPad", according to an online report by the Globe and Mail daily.

A Japanese company that makes a product of the same name -- pronounced "ai pad" when transcribed from the Japanese -- is Awaji-Tec, a manufacturer of adult nappies with a high-tech twist.

The company says its nappies feature an electronic device that can send a signal to a remote caregiver when it needs to be changed.

"We have been selling this elderly care product for the past five years, said Yasuaki Mori, who works at Awaji-Tec's special sensors division. "It would be regrettable if people thought we had copied the name."

Meanwhile in China, a company has used a different name -- the "P88" -- for an iPad look-alike, with a slightly larger screen, faster processor and larger memory but battery life of only 1.5 hours compared to the iPad's 10 hours.

It marks a new milestone by Chinese manufacturers -- cloning a product before it had even been announced -- mused Shanghaiist.com, a Shanghai city blog, and Shanzhai.com, a tech blog dedicated to Chinese copies.

But the makers of the P88, Shenzhen Great Loong Brother Industrial Co., said Apple appeared to be the copycats.

"We don't understand. Why did they make the same thing as us?" Huang Xiaofang, an executive at the company, told AFP. "We launched it earlier."

Ipad=fujitsu

Ibook interface = Delicious Library!

ohh my... copycat....

ahahaha.

Well, a netbook is nothing but any old laptop with an old OS, smaller screen (and therefore harder to see for old people), probably slow as molasses because the processor needs to consume less power, and be cheap and therefore use older technology to produce. Keyboards are small, cramped, hard to type in and the keys that matter are located in odd places. For experienced computer users, these are all minor inconveniences that would not stop them. But to the tech-challenged who don't even know how to send SMS, using a netbook would be like climbing Mt Everest.

netbook with OLD OS? how bout NETBOOK with MAC OS on it! or windows Seven on it? or dual boot it with Snow Leopard! WOW! whose faster now?

lets compare:

Netbooks nowadays are 10-12inches! LED SCREEn!

-250GB harddrive! or an SSD!

-1.6ghz aTom Dual Core or AMD+ATI Graphics! or an ION! = that plays VIDEO 1080p on your HD TV's!

-FLASH GAMES! FLASH PLAYERS!! Farmville anyone? hahahaha.

-Replaceable BATTERIES! WOW!

-Some netbooks are convertible to be a tablet PC! wow!

-Price will range around $300-$600

-12inch netbooks are easy to typed with! even the 10inch to 12inch! unless your shaq! wahahaha.

-1GB or more memory! some with DDR3!!!

-options to install Linux, Snow Leopard or Windows XP, Vista and Seven!

-you can play .MKV etc.! you can install codecs on it!

Ipad:

Display

* 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology

Capacity3

* 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive - Where's the USB connectors?

Processor

* 1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip - where's the multi-tasking?

* Support for 1024 by 768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite Cable -HDMI?? duh....

* H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file form.. -thats it?

--

now come on dont BASH the NETBOOKS it will beat the IPAD really bad interms of specs and with open options! ipad is not a competitor of netbooks...

hayyzz,,,

dont ask me that i am an apple basher... hey i have a macbook, mabook pro.... ipod touch.... even netbooks and windows system...

I think a lot of the fear (that, just like Yoda once said, leads to anger) also stems from the fact that geeks may have to unlearn what they have learned. They may not understand this device better than someone who’s a novice to computers.

What if all the things you learned about how computers work is becoming irrelevant. Just think of all the effort it took for you to learn how to tweak your AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, modem dial-up strings, running defragmentation tools, scheduling Ad-Aware and then cleaning up the Windows Registry. If you’re a Mac old-timer you may still remember how to rebuild the desktop or update pre-bindings. Maybe compiling from source code if you’re on Linux. These are all old-world skills that you could employ to swing in like a hero on a rope and fix your less savvy friend’s computer.

For some, having the playing field leveled means losing.

how bout this?

Itablet!

-support windows and Linux unless you will try to put MacOS on it... ^_^

-10.2 and 12.1-inch screens both sporting a retro 1024x768 resolution and optional multitouch.

-The 1.18kg unit will have up to three USB ports and even an optional HDMI output.

-1.6GHz unit along side 2GB of memory.

-In keeping with the full fat tablet theme X2 have shoved a 250GB hard drive inside the Itablet which sounds good if you're going to use that HDMI port to stream videos to a bigger screen. There's more options available with GSM and 3G radios but Bluetooth and 802.11b/g networking are thrown in as standard.

post-5108-1265378648.jpg

post-5108-1265378671.jpg

Edited by djrs

you might want to read on this article ...

source : http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things...amp;tag=nl.e101

10 reasons why I'll be passing on the iPad

1: There’s no physical keyboard

2: This one size doesn’t fit all

3: It runs a phone OS

4: There’s not enough storage

5: There’s No HDMI output or camera

6: There are no USB ports

7: There’s no flash memory slot

8: The price is not right

9: It’s locked in

10: It’s all about the network

you might want to read on this article ...

source : http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things...amp;tag=nl.e101

10 reasons why I'll be passing on the iPad

1: There’s no physical keyboard

2: This one size doesn’t fit all

3: It runs a phone OS

4: There’s not enough storage

5: There’s No HDMI output or camera

6: There are no USB ports

7: There’s no flash memory slot

8: The price is not right

9: It’s locked in

10: It’s all about the network

how about the 10 things you should hate about iPad?

It must be noted that they are targeting a different market for this. Ebook readers specifically. That's why the specs are very conservative. But at only starting at 16gb? With storage coming cheap these days they shouldn't be holding this back.

As I've said before, Amazon & Barnes and Noble is probably shitting in their pants right now. :lol:

It must be noted that they are targeting a different market for this. Ebook readers specifically. That's why the specs are very conservative. But at only starting at 16gb? With storage coming cheap these days they shouldn't be holding this back.

As I've said before, Amazon & Barnes and Noble is probably shitting in their pants right now. :lol:

At last! Someone who actually understands technology and not just a gadget freak! Well said.

i wonder if one can use it like a cintiq tablet para sulit talaga ang pagkamura

a friend from PAL showed me an iPad (maybe he figured i'd buy one) before he delivered it to his client. and as always in all orders (unless very tiny) from stewards/pilots/stewardresses, it's out of the box (para 'alang tax). got a firsthand tweaking with it, and sad to say to my friend, i'm not buying. it's far from being a cintiq 12wx (which is what i hope to acquire one of these days), iPad doesn't operate like a drawing tablet (sayang, it just might go well with ArtRage Studio Pro or Corel Painter)

Edited by remoteworld
a friend from PAL showed me an iPad (maybe he figured i'd buy one) before he delivered it to his client. and as always in all orders (unless very tiny) from stewards/pilots/stewardresses, it's out of the box (para 'alang tax). got a firsthand tweaking with it, and sad to say to my friend, i'm not buying. it's far from being a cintiq 12wx (which is what i hope to acquire one of these days), iPad doesn't operate like a drawing tablet (sayang, it just might go well with ArtRage Studio Pro or Corel Painter)

Sorry to burst your bubble but not only do you misinform, you also dish out a generous helping of bovine excrement because no one, not even the owner of PAL himself could have got his hands on an Apple iPad to buy and then re-sell. Because:

1. As telecommunications devices, the iPad has not yet been approved for sale by the US Federal Communications Commission. Both types have radios devices (wifi, bluetooth and 3G in the other model) and these require certification.
  2. The lack of certification is why Apple announced a March ship date for the wifi+bluetooth model and April for the 3G model. This is clear in the Apple web site (www.apple.com) and I attach a screen dump of the relevant page (underscoring is mine).post-188-1265900084.jpg
  3. The shipping schedules were also announced by Steve Jobs during the announcement keynote last January 27. If you wish you can also watch the video at the Apple site.
  4. Perhaps you saw the last Grammy Awards show and thought that because Steven Colbert pulled an iPad out of his jacket, it was already on sale and therefore you might be able to pull off a fabrication about geting some 'firsthand tweaking' time with it. It is not. Anyone with an iPad in his possession now can only get one if Apple gave him one because it is still illegal to sell them until approved by the US FCC.

So, unless your last name is something like Jobs, Wozniak, Schiller, or Ive it is impossible for you to have had a "first hand tweaking" of the darn thing. You could have been one of the journalists invited during the Apple keynote for a post presentation hands on for your "first hand tweaking" but then you would not have had required the intervention of a friend from Philippine Air Lines.

There are other more elegant ways to put down a product you don't understand to elevate one that you think you do. I suggest you look into the ones that don't make you look foolish. A good place to start would be one that espouses a bit more research, a lot less fiction.

I think there is a topic on fiction and fairy tales in the Literature thread. You might find some respectability there.

Edited by boomouse

People really are reading into this the wrong way.

IT'S NOT A NETBOOK.

This was specifically designed to compete with Amazon's Kindle and Barnes & Noble's Nook. This is why the screen is damn big. Who wants to read ebooks, digital comics, etc with a tiny or greyscale screen (yes, Kindle & Nook doesn't have a color screen). If you're an ebook reader then the iPad is the one for you. Compared to the Kindle and Nook, iPad does way better. The comicbook industry is very excited about this because finally they can release digital comics with the iPad. I think the only thing that sucks is still the no Flash support.

Disclaimer: I'm not an Apple fanboy. I'm just stating the facts. :lol: