Favorite Core Exercises

well...will try it anyways...looks like its good...ill see what happens in my first month...i took before pics...ill post the after pics and we'll see...

P90x seems challenging...and im kinda up to it...

don't hold your breath. it's nothing more than a video showing various crunch-like exercises, which will do next to nothing to "rip your abs." if you are looking however to reveal that six-pack, do some backreading here: http://manilatonight.com/index.php?showtopic=10434.

• 3 months later...
Instead of a barbell, I use DB's with unequal weights in lifting/pressing. . . i.e. the core muscles gets strengthened to keep balance . . . B)

Kettlebells also challenge the core tremendously due to it's continuously shifting of weight while doing balistic hips flexors, and hamstrings are also highly active in demand when swinging that weight around!

Kettlebells also challenge the core tremendously due to it's continuously shifting of weight while doing balistic hips flexors, and hamstrings are also highly active in demand when swinging that weight around!

While doing balistic lifts i meant in the above. Sorry for that.

• 7 months later...
Guest fhoryou

I agree but there is more to it.

When you do kettlebell is not the same as weight lifting. In weight lifting you isolate your development to a particular muscle not to a movement.

In kettlebell you develop your whole body strenght from the core. With that it give you strenght without making your muscles bulkier.

The kettlebell exercises is a functional movement system workout.

Example the Snatch its a combination of one hand swing and then switch where you change the kettlebell position to your backhand area giving it a punch up.

In this way it strenghtens the forearm, shoulders, waist and back muscles in one action.

One of the difficult moves is the so called Dragon twist. Its where from a lying position you lift with one kettlebell up like a snatch with e your opposite arm support it then you go up trying to stand maintaining the kettlebell position up.

In just a week I develope a triceps and util now I still not used to having a triceps since my arms before are small.

I am doing kettlebell exercise at the Philippine Kettlebell Training Center which is in San Juan. They were the first to introduce it here in the Philippines.

However, this is the training center or gym there is another one but its a club or group. Its Philippine Kettlebell Club but they only do group gatherings to perform kettlebell.

I prefer it in the gym since there is supervision involve and its fun specially with sexy ladies around. The ladies here have bodies almost like Jessica Biel. :D

If you like to check them out you can find them in facebook search for Philippine Kettlebell Training Center or go to their facebook page

Philippine Kettlebell Training Center (Facebook)

When shocking the core muscles (abdominals: rectus abs and the obliques, lower back muscles: erector spinae):

Do variety of core exercises movement: STATIC & DYNAMIC

DYNAMIC Ex: like the regular abdominal crunches for beginners that you can progress to jacknife and other abs exercises, back extension etc

STATIC Ex: that involves the forward plank, side plank, V-knee, the star etc. hold for 30 sec to 1 minute each exercise done for 1 to 5 sets each.

For me Plank is my favorite core exercise, it's very simple but it really gives a great shock to both of your abdominals and lower back muscle simultaneously. Got to try it for yourself where you position yourself in prone on elbow (face down and your body and knees should not touch the ground) and hold that position to up to you tolerance... :goatee:

• 3 weeks later...
I like using those big balls to support my back, I forgot what they are called, and I do get good crunches out of them too, better than those usual machines where you have to lie on your back and raise your legs.

That BALL has many names....Stability Ball, Thera Ball or Swiss Ball are the BIG BALLS you're mentioning madam..they are used mainly in rehabilitation before particularly in treating Cerebral Palsy patients specially pediatrics but now it is one of the favorite exercise tool among fitness buffs because it greatly improves core strength. :zorro:

That BALL has many names....Stability Ball, Thera Ball or Swiss Ball are the BIG BALLS you're mentioning madam..they are used mainly in rehabilitation before particularly in treating Cerebral Palsy patients specially pediatrics but now it is one of the favorite exercise tool among fitness buffs because it greatly improves core strength. :zorro:

Thank you. Yes, I think it does. I have tried the crunch machines, but I find the Stability ball more effective. I can actually feel my stomach after doing 3 sets of 40 crunches. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree but there is more to it.

When you do kettlebell is not the same as weight lifting. In weight lifting you isolate your development to a particular muscle not to a movement.

In kettlebell you develop your whole body strenght from the core. With that it give you strenght without making your muscles bulkier.

The kettlebell exercises is a functional movement system workout.

Example the Snatch its a combination of one hand swing and then switch where you change the kettlebell position to your backhand area giving it a punch up.

In this way it strenghtens the forearm, shoulders, waist and back muscles in one action.

One of the difficult moves is the so called Dragon twist. Its where from a lying position you lift with one kettlebell up like a snatch with e your opposite arm support it then you go up trying to stand maintaining the kettlebell position up.

In just a week I develope a triceps and util now I still not used to having a triceps since my arms before are small.

I am doing kettlebell exercise at the Philippine Kettlebell Training Center which is in San Juan. They were the first to introduce it here in the Philippines.

However, this is the training center or gym there is another one but its a club or group. Its Philippine Kettlebell Club but they only do group gatherings to perform kettlebell.

I prefer it in the gym since there is supervision involve and its fun specially with sexy ladies around. The ladies here have bodies almost like Jessica Biel. :D

If you like to check them out you can find them in facebook search for Philippine Kettlebell Training Center or go to their facebook page

Philippine Kettlebell Training Center (Facebook)

the philippine kettlebell training center you're referring to is also the krav maga gym, right? is tommy blom their mainstay kettlebell instructor or he just visits there sometimes?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fhoryou

the philippine kettlebell training center you're referring to is also the krav maga gym, right? is tommy blom their mainstay kettlebell instructor or he just visits there sometimes?

Sorry for the late reply.

To tell you the truth Kettlebell has been introduced back in 80s or much earlier. Gym instructors and strength trainers already new this but don't know where to purchase or get information about the exercise. There is this instructor in Krav Maga Philippines that is a gym and strength instructor expert, yes instructor and expert, who already knew this Kettlebell and a consultant by other gym instructors. He may have worked out in gyms like Slimmer's World. It was only Tommy Blom got here in the Philippines to conduct a seminar for Krav Maga Philippines and had discussion with people from this group. After that discussion that is when they able to decide to find sources of these equipment and start it here. So that is what came about Philippine Kettlebell Training Center, just to share of what I heard. Anyway, Tommy Blom is not a mainstain instructor but a visiting instructor mostly for Krav Maga. However, the instructor in Philippine Kettlebell Training Center is gym instructor and consultant that have knowledge of Kettlebell Functional Movement System workout used in Russia. He has a program that is great to follow and works like hell. Make your strenght increase. Anyway, Russians never had real certification for kettlebell workout since its a common thing in Russia. It was never thought it be used by others outside the country. Originally kettlebells are used for weighting for weighting scales and still used in rural areas of Russia.

Guest fhoryou

^ But nowadays there are already certifications for kettlebells

Yeah, its actually certification as to which group you train. If you go to Russia people there will just be surprise "Huh, certificate for kettlebell?"

Its like in the gym there is no actual standard certification for a gym instructor the only basis is if you have done this for a long time and working out or gain recognition due to word of mouth.

Since its gaining popularity certification is just like a show show. There is a saying of the wise "Do birds need a diploma to sing such a beautiful natural song ..."

What I am saying is that anyone can get a certification and even you as long you have enough money. What I am after is a real workout without spending a lot of hours in the gym that brings results.

What I do advice is go to a trainor or gym that have free trials and try it out for yourself. See if each movement is natural and if it works for you then go for it. As the legendary Bruce Lee said "Use what works for you ... and hack away the unessential"

As my Russia friend said girya is so common here that its no big deal people outside the country is making it a big deal. That reminds I need to call her again I miss her lovely smile hehehe

Yeah, its actually certification as to which group you train. If you go to Russia people there will just be surprise "Huh, certificate for kettlebell?"

Its like in the gym there is no actual standard certification for a gym instructor the only basis is if you have done this for a long time and working out or gain recognition due to word of mouth.

Since its gaining popularity certification is just like a show show. There is a saying of the wise "Do birds need a diploma to sing such a beautiful natural song ..."

What I am saying is that anyone can get a certification and even you as long you have enough money. What I am after is a real workout without spending a lot of hours in the gym that brings results.

What I do advice is go to a trainor or gym that have free trials and try it out for yourself. See if each movement is natural and if it works for you then go for it. As the legendary Bruce Lee said "Use what works for you ... and hack away the unessential"

As my Russia friend said girya is so common here that its no big deal people outside the country is making it a big deal. That reminds I need to call her again I miss her lovely smile hehehe

Well said "fhoryou". Certifications at the end of the day are papers...you should look for instructors who not only talk the talk but walk the walk as well. The Philippine Kettlebell Club has Nico as the head. Just see him train with Kettlebells and you'll know that he is in every sense of the word...LEGIT.

For the sake of contributing to this thread, great core exercises are Kettlebell Turkish Getups, Kettlebell Side Presses, Double Kettlebell Situp - Getups, windmills and quite frankly each and every Kettlebell Movement around.

It is one thing to have those "beach 6-pack muscles" and another to have actually a strong core. Kettlebell Training gives that to you. We at the Philippine Kettlebell Club make sure of that since the Core is a huge part of foundation in your overall fitness.

To not sound too biased, great non Kettlebell Core Movements are Superman Planks (hands to support the plank instead of the elbows), standing wheel rollouts or standing barbell rollouts, Hang Leg Raise Static Holds, Gymnastic Bridges, Med Ball Slams to the Stomach, Punches to the stomach...and ofcourse the deadlift. Everthing has its own place...its a matter of how you will use these movements to improve your core's weak parts.

If you're curious about kettlebell training, The Philippine Kettlebell Club Provides Class A Kettlebell Training.

You can add us at our facebook page to learn more:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Philippine-Kettlebell-Club/144216216313?ref=ts

Have a nie day everbody!

Tim

Well said "fhoryou". Certifications at the end of the day are papers...you should look for instructors who not only talk the talk but walk the walk as well. The Philippine Kettlebell Club has Nico as the head. Just see him train with Kettlebells and you'll know that he is in every sense of the word...LEGIT.

For the sake of contributing to this thread, great core exercises are Kettlebell Turkish Getups, Kettlebell Side Presses, Double Kettlebell Situp - Getups, windmills and quite frankly each and every Kettlebell Movement around.

It is one thing to have those "beach 6-pack muscles" and another to have actually a strong core. Kettlebell Training gives that to you. We at the Philippine Kettlebell Club make sure of that since the Core is a huge part of foundation in your overall fitness.

To not sound too biased, great non Kettlebell Core Movements are Superman Planks (hands to support the plank instead of the elbows), standing wheel rollouts or standing barbell rollouts, Hang Leg Raise Static Holds, Gymnastic Bridges, Med Ball Slams to the Stomach, Punches to the stomach...and ofcourse the deadlift. Everthing has its own place...its a matter of how you will use these movements to improve your core's weak parts.

If you're curious about kettlebell training, The Philippine Kettlebell Club Provides Class A Kettlebell Training.

You can add us at our facebook page to learn more:

http://www.facebook....16216313?ref=ts

Have a nie day everbody!

Tim

"To not sound too biased, great non Kettlebell Core Movements are Superman Planks (hands to support the plank instead of the elbows), standing wheel rollouts or standing barbell rollouts, Hang Leg Raise Static Holds, Gymnastic Bridges, Med Ball Slams to the Stomach, Punches to the stomach...and ofcourse the deadlift. Everthing has its own place...its a matter of how you will use these movements to improve your core's weak parts."

to be clear ...superman planks and med ball slams/punches to the stomach are for the advanced athletes... proper foundation first before using them:)

Actually, that's what I like about the Eastern system, they put more emphasis of your time in the trenches than just some piece of paper...

and yes, I agree with you, trying out or getting a feel of the trainer is the best thing one can do...