How To Learn To Swim

there are steps to take before learning how to swim...

first is to take that fear of water out of your system... proper breathing exercises will do the trick until you feel comfortable enough in water.

inhale through the mouth and exhale through the nose... inhale above water exhale while submerged... do this ten times on the shallow part of the pool...

proper breathing technique will eliminate the feeling of breathlessness in water which causes panic and eventually drowning...

next steps are to learn the form (i.e. streamlining), movements (i.e. pulls and kicks), and synchronization of all movements (i.e. freestyle)

reading wont make you learn... practicing will! if you dont have someone to check what you're doing makes it harder to learn...

ladies ill teach you for free... sumabit na lang mga lalake :lol: :P

• 3 weeks later...

1.practicebubbling (inhale thru mouth above water sit untilhed below water level and exhale thru nose.Repeat 20 times with 3 secs interval.This will enable you to breath out the nose on water on relax manner which is important inlearning other swimmng styles.

2. Practice facedown floating in water at chest level. Stand straight, stretch arms upward like reaching up with both hands, place straight arm at the back of ear,lock it in place but keep it relaxed ,interlock your thums,fingers straight and curved upward,inhale using mouth then slowly glide your body forward on water ,exhale thru the nose slowly.Keep practicing this until you you body can float steadily on the water.

3. Next practice flatter kicks. Hold on the pool gutter face down on water but keep head above water.Lfift your body as if floating face down but holding on the gutter and face above water, your body will definitely sink at first, try to use your upper body to pull your body (hips down) up then slowly move your legs up and down alternatley, do it with your legs straight ( you can allow it to bend a little) keepdoing this for atleast 2minutes.

4. Practice step2 but this time combine it with the flatter kick. Better get the feel of it,hold a kickboard in front of you but tih your arms staright glide and do flatterkicks

The Marikina Sports Park has a very good 50-meter pool. The rate is 30 pesos per dip and the schedule is 8-11 am and 1-4 pm, Tue-Sun. But some nearby schools hold their swimming classes there so the pool can be quite crowded.

Swimming is really my first choice for a workout, but my skin tends to get very dark even if I use sunblock. Anyone know of an indoor 50-meter swimming pool in Metro Manila (and preferably open after office hours)?

• 2 months later...

Urgency makes you learn fast. The best thing to do jump into a body of water that is a least twice your height in deep and start using your hands/arms and legs. This is the fastest way to learn. Just make sure a lifeguard is very near you. I kidd you not, you will learn quickly on this method.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest lustfortravel

i used to dread going to pool parties since all i could do was stand up in the shallow side -ginawa ko lang bathtub ang pool. ^_^ one day, i finally decided enough was enough and hired a swimming instructor. not only did he get me to swim in less than 2 months but he got me to build my endurance for long distance swims in the sea ( 1.5-2 kms) which we were required to finish in less than 40 minutes.

i think the best thing in hiring a swimming instructor is that it builds up your confidence once you learn how to execute the strokes properly. it served me well in rough waters during dives. at least, i lost the fear of drowning. :)

1.practicebubbling (inhale thru mouth above water sit untilhed below water level and exhale thru nose.Repeat 20 times with 3 secs interval.This will enable you to breath out the nose on water on relax manner which is important inlearning other swimmng styles.

2. Practice facedown floating in water at chest level. Stand straight, stretch arms upward like reaching up with both hands, place straight arm at the back of ear,lock it in place but keep it relaxed ,interlock your thums,fingers straight and curved upward,inhale using mouth then slowly glide your body forward on water ,exhale thru the nose slowly.Keep practicing this until you you body can float steadily on the water.

3. Next practice flatter kicks. Hold on the pool gutter face down on water but keep head above water.Lfift your body as if floating face down but holding on the gutter and face above water, your body will definitely sink at first, try to use your upper body to pull your body (hips down) up then slowly move your legs up and down alternatley, do it with your legs straight ( you can allow it to bend a little) keepdoing this for atleast 2minutes.

4. Practice step2 but this time combine it with the flatter kick. Better get the feel of it,hold a kickboard in front of you but tih your arms staright glide and do flatterkicks

this is a nice start on how to swim but just to add, ussually you should learn the very basic of floating. the best technique to float is by relaxing your body in the water. do this on a water level which you stand higher. there are three basic floating exercises that are ussually taught:

back float - this is like lying down on the water. to do this just relax, do not be stif, breathe normally, again do it like lying down on the bed your face and body is facing the sky.

dead mans float - it is the revers of back float, face down, relax. do this for about 5 to 10 seconds.

prone float - put both of your arms around your knees and your face will automatically face down and you would float in an instance. you can do this for 5 to 10 seconds too.

if you master these, you on the way to learn treading in the water.

If you would like to learn on how to swim with the four major strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly) you may need an instructor since there are techniques like proper gliding and proper body movements to do this.

for best results you have to be someone who knows hot to do this stuff. just remember to do bubbles for about 15 to 20 counts whenever you are tired.

do not force anyone to swim in the deep because they may learn or just drown theirselves.

this is a nice start on how to swim but just to add, ussually you should learn the very basic of floating. the best technique to float is by relaxing your body in the water. do this on a water level which you stand higher. there are three basic floating exercises that are ussually taught:

back float - this is like lying down on the water. to do this just relax, do not be stif, breathe normally, again do it like lying down on the bed your face and body is facing the sky.

dead mans float - it is the revers of back float, face down, relax. do this for about 5 to 10 seconds.

prone float - put both of your arms around your knees and your face will automatically face down and you would float in an instance. you can do this for 5 to 10 seconds too.

if you master these, you on the way to learn treading in the water.

If you would like to learn on how to swim with the four major strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly) you may need an instructor since there are techniques like proper gliding and proper body movements to do this.

for best results you have to be someone who knows hot to do this stuff. just remember to do bubbles for about 15 to 20 counts whenever you are tired.

do not force anyone to swim in the deep because they may learn or just drown theirselves.

i used to dread going to pool parties since all i could do was stand up in the shallow side -ginawa ko lang bathtub ang pool. ^_^ one day, i finally decided enough was enough and hired a swimming instructor. not only did he get me to swim in less than 2 months but he got me to build my endurance for long distance swims in the sea ( 1.5-2 kms) which we were required to finish in less than 40 minutes.

i think the best thing in hiring a swimming instructor is that it builds up your confidence once you learn how to execute the strokes properly. it served me well in rough waters during dives. at least, i lost the fear of drowning. :)

Very good! Have you thought of getting a diver's license?

I can swim but only in the swimming pool. I'm still afraid to do it in an open water kasi kapag mapagod ako wala na ako mahahawakan eh :D.

Ang di ko matutunan hanggang sa ngayun eh yung tinatawag na langoy-aso whereas papadyak padyak ka lang pero nakalutang ka parin. Kasi ang swimming ko nakadapa ako dapat e then I have to stroke and flip para lumutang at umandar.