Motoring For Dummies - All Your Car & Driving Questions Answered H

eow..tanong kow lang po about sa radiator..eh advisable ba na tubig lang ang ilagay sa radiator reserve tank or kailangan talaga ng coolant..kasi yung reserve tank ng radiator eh medyo mababa na...hmmm...can you all please help me naman what to do...what i mean is pwde ba tubig nalang or kailangan na may coolant na ilagay..what type of coolant ba...different models ba needs different coolant...what if di ko alam kung what brand yung nilagay nila before...pwede ko ba haluan ito ng ibang brand....saka tuwing kailan dapat ipalinis yung radiator nio...? sorry for my ignorance...pls do help...give me some advise and tips on maintaining my radiator...im using honda city model 2000..type z..lxi..thnks..

^am curious, why would you not want power locks?

you probably just misunderstood, i do want power locks for my car. that's the reason for my query.

if your car does not have this, you can buy a powerlock system for it and have it installed in lots of shops, including a car alarm.

didn't know this, that's why i was asking.

well, on the day that i was to take delivery for my new vehicle, my sales rep gave me a call and suggested that since i was overcharged 1.7k (for a tpl despite a comprehansive insurance), i could have power locks installed for an additional P800. naturally, i jumped on the offer. problem solved.

next questions:

1) could you recommend a shop that installs a car alarm system and does quality work? also, kindly

suggest a good brand for a car alarm.

2) if i were to change my wheels to one with a bigger size (say from 15" to 17") and the tires to a lower

profile to match the bigger rims, would that make my vehicle's bumpy ride even more bumpy?

again, any help would be appreciated. thanks.

next questions:

1) could you recommend a shop that installs a car alarm system and does quality work? also, kindly

suggest a good brand for a car alarm.

2) if i were to change my wheels to one with a bigger size (say from 15" to 17") and the tires to a lower

profile to match the bigger rims, would that make my vehicle's bumpy ride even more bumpy?

again, any help would be appreciated. thanks.

1. san location mo? daming shops dito sa malugay street makati. for the brand of alarm, per my experience, Code Alarm gives you value for money. Although madami na ring cheaper and good alarms there in the market today. I would suggest that you do window shopping.

2. not bumpy, but rougher... the bumpy ride is a product of stiff suspensions (shocks and springs). kung stock height, yung bumpy mo before will stay the same, but the ride will be rougher dahil mas maliit ang gap ng rubber/air clearance between your mags and the ground. if you will have them lowered pa, ayun ang magiging bumpy....

speaking of lowering, if you are to lower down your car, i suggest that you replace your springs to an aftermarket spring (like tanabe or H&R). hwag putol springs lang. and make sure you replace your shocks with gas shocks, para mas matibay.

for recommended shops you can look at the "Audio" thread here in the Motoring Section. usually the guys who do car audio also do car alarms.

if you change to high profile tires, the ride is going to be rougher but you car will handle better so its a trade-off of comfort vs performance. :)

first off, thanks for the reply hitomi. really appreciate it.

i am from q.c. and i used to go to the shops in banawe before. the trade-off with going to banawe is that while you get cheaper prices, the shops there just do their installations in the street, often hiring the tambays to do the work for them. while they do get the job done, it often is messy and sometimes unacceptible.

10 years ago was the last time i had an aftermarket product installed (audio set-up + car alarm- can't remember the brand though). audio tunes (along araneta ave) i think was the name of the store. manned by young college grads, they did did a good job. unfortunately, that shop is nowhere to be found today.

so i'll be shopping around for a new shop, and i'll probably give code alarm a try, if it's not too expensive.

first off, thanks for the reply hitomi. really appreciate it.

i am from q.c. and i used to go to the shops in banawe before. the trade-off with going to banawe is that while you get cheaper prices, the shops there just do their installations in the street, often hiring the tambays to do the work for them. while they do get the job done, it often is messy and sometimes unacceptible.

10 years ago was the last time i had an aftermarket product installed (audio set-up + car alarm- can't remember the brand though). audio tunes (along araneta ave) i think was the name of the store. manned by young college grads, they did did a good job. unfortunately, that shop is nowhere to be found today.

so i'll be shopping around for a new shop, and i'll probably give code alarm a try, if it's not too expensive.

i could recommend GOLDCARS in Banawe....its beside Dencio's ba yun or Gerry's...i forgot. I had my audio done there, ok naman dun, maybe meron silang alarm installation.

Edited by bathala
The sides of my windshield is al ittle bit rusty already and my windshield has a little leaks on it which repair should come first ?

the sides? you mean the windshield mouldings? repair can be done at the same time.

you go to an autoglass shop, like aguila auto glass etc. what they will do is take your mouldings and your windshield off, then put it back again, this time with new mouldings if yours are unusable already. after they do this the leaks will be gone and you'll get rid of the rusty sides. :)

eow..tanong kow lang po about sa radiator..eh advisable ba na tubig lang ang ilagay sa radiator reserve tank or kailangan talaga ng coolant..kasi yung reserve tank ng radiator eh medyo mababa na...hmmm...can you all please help me naman what to do...what i mean is pwde ba tubig nalang or kailangan na may coolant na ilagay..what type of coolant ba...different models ba needs different coolant...what if di ko alam kung what brand yung nilagay nila before...pwede ko ba haluan ito ng ibang brand....saka tuwing kailan dapat ipalinis yung radiator nio...? sorry for my ignorance...pls do help...give me some advise and tips on maintaining my radiator...im using honda city model 2000..type z..lxi..thnks..

Pwede tubig pero dapat "distilled" dahil may mineral content ang tap water. Yung mineral content ng tubig pwedeng bumara sa mga piping ng radiator at pwede ring umapekto sa thermostat. Kailangan mo pa din ng coolant dahil may anti-corrosion formula iyon na pipigil sa corrosion sa aluminum. 50/50 ang halo noon - 50% distilled water at 50% coolant. Okey lang ang halo-halo na coolant siguraduhin mo lang na pare-pareho ang main ingredients. Advisable ang radiator flush (chemical process ito) every 60,000 miles (translate mo na lang sa kilometers) pati depende na din sa manufacturers advise.

Did lots of stuff on my car.

- change oil

- change oil filter

- change air filter

- change battery

- change brake pads

- change water pump and air-conditioning belts

- replace belt tensioner

- replace head, tail and fog lights

- change high-pressure steering lines

- replace water pump

- change oil pump

- change oil pan

- change fuse

- change radiator lines and expansion tank

- check engine using OBD interface and computer

I am not pro but I try to learn from a lot of auto sites like bimmerboard.com and also auto repair publications.

Does anybody know about KIA's picanto hatchback. Do you guys think its a good buy considering its only around 390K brand new.

if you're looking for a cheap, frugal car, then the picanto is ok.

other options in this bracket are the Hyundai Getz (now with a diesel version) and the Suzuki Swift.

*but the Swift is the cutest in my book hehe. you should shop around and see which one you like :)

Guys & Gals,

Have some questions: 

1.  Would you consider repairing your own car?  or mas comfortable kayo dalhin sa talyer ang auto nyo?

2.  Hanggang saan ang kaya ninyo?

a.  Flat tire

b.  Kahit anong under the hood

c.  Maglagay lang ng tubig sa radiator

3.  naniniwala ba kayo dun sa mga nabibiling mga octane booster, whatever fix-it or pang improve sa auto?

no.. i won't consider it.. i will let the experts repair my car. however, if i bring my car to the autoshop for repair, i try my best to understand the cause of the breakdown and how it was repaired. so if ever my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, i may have the chance of trouble shooting it and bringing it to the auto shop.

1. hangang saan? flat tire lang... maglagay ng tubig? of course.... maglagay din ng langis, break fluid.. magangin ng gulong..

i could recommend GOLDCARS in Banawe....its beside Dencio's ba yun or Gerry's...i forgot. I had my audio done there, ok naman dun, maybe meron silang alarm installation.

Alam ko ito. It's actually off Banawe just before Orthopedic coming from Quezon Ave. And if I remember it right, meron silang sariling garage where they do their work. Thanks for jogging my memory.

if you're looking for a cheap, frugal car, then the picanto is ok.

other options in this bracket are the Hyundai Getz (now with a diesel version) and the Suzuki Swift.

*but the Swift is the cutest in my book hehe. you should shop around and see which one you like :)

the swift gets my vote. compared to the other two, the swift doesn't look like a budget compact nga eh. rather, it looks like a stylish pocket rocket.

howerver, just as i'm sure that the getz is more expensive than the picanto, the swift is markedly pricier than the getz.

and lastly, if the getz does come with a diesel, that would be a buy worth thinking over- diesel economy made even more economical by the car's light weight. kung konti lang difference ng presyo, mukhang good buy ito...

Kung Automatic yang auto mo, just control the gas pedal at aandar na yan.

Kung manual yan, kailangan mo pag aralan pagtimplahin ang clutch at gas pedal. Its not an easy thing to learn lalo na pag nagaaral ka pa lang magdrive. It takes lots of practice to properly blend the gas and the clutch pedals.

Ang important in driving is to concentrate fully. Learn to be attentive and use all the mirrors. Stay away from distractions like cellphones and sexy babes in the streets.

advice ko for beginners, as much as possible sa isang car ka lang magaral magdrive.. para di ka palagi naninibago sa pagtimpla ng clutch at gas.. as you go on, mejo madadalian ka na din.. :D

pagupo mo sa car, lagi mo ayusin ang mirrors at seat distance (wag masyado malapit or malayo).. yun lang muna.. :D

Kung Automatic yang auto mo, just control the gas pedal at aandar na yan.

Kung manual yan, kailangan mo pag aralan pagtimplahin ang clutch at gas pedal.  Its not an easy thing to learn lalo na pag nagaaral ka pa lang magdrive.  It takes lots of practice to properly blend the gas and the clutch pedals.

Ang important in driving is to concentrate fully.  Learn to be attentive and use all the mirrors.  Stay away from distractions like cellphones and sexy babes in the streets.

manual po ang gamit ko.. saktong sakto ang advice mo sa akin pre... just had a practice session with my dad kanina dito sa subdivision namin.. tuwing may naglalakad na girl in a short short (p3kp3k short) nawawala ako sa concentration :blush: .. hehehe.. other than that hirap pa rin ako mag multi-tasking e.g. taking sharp curves (pagpihit ng manibela while clutch/break and looking at the mirrors...) more practice pa rin.. thanks for your input. :)