Linux Anybody?

fedora core 2 rules!!!

redhat & fedora core is the easiest distro od linux to install.

just follow the gui based installation and your up and running in no time.

you can also check out the mandrake distro if u like...

better DE? as an experienced linux user, i'll go for kde.

gnome is better off with the newbies.

but still, it's a personal thingy. :P

don't forget to practice your command-line habits.

it's teh best tool ever. :P

Have you tried Debian? IMHO it's so much easier to administer and configure. RPM's are a headache to maintain, especially with the dependency problems you may (and probably would) encounter in the future.

me mabibiling pirated na linux.. hehe

yung Suse.. me nakita akong nagtitinda nyan na hindi eval..

pero teka.. matatawag mo bang pirated yun e open source ang linux db?

im using redhat right now, yun kasi ang server namin sa web forms namin.. :D

eto yung na-encounter kong problem:

di ko ma-install yung firefox..

sorry a, linux newbie lang ako e... :D

im using RH 7.1...

installed it using the default server setup..

ano keya cause ng prob...

me hinahanap syang "so" ehh.. :(

Edited by jonas101

im using redhat right now, yun kasi ang server namin sa web forms namin.. :D

eto yung na-encounter kong problem:

di ko ma-install yung firefox..

sorry a, linux newbie lang ako e... :D

im using RH 7.1...

installed it using the default server setup..

ano keya cause ng prob...

me hinahanap syang "so" ehh.. :(

files ending in so are the dynamic library files used by many binaries like firefox. What you can do is look for the exact filename of the so file you referring to from google. Try to figure out the RPM package it belongs to. Or maybe post the exact filename here and we'll help you find out the package you need to install to get firefox up and running.

Actually, it's true that Linux (the kernel) is released under the GPL -- pero that doesn't mean na hindi pwede na proprietary software yung nagrurun or kasama sa kanya. Usually yung installers are distributed with a fee, which directly benefits the producers of the distribution like RedHat and SuSE. However, once you make unauthorized copies of these intallers, you're effectively stealing from the producers earnings they'd be making if people bought the products directly from them (or through authorized distribution sources). This here, is piracy.

Now, if you happen to get a hold of an installer (through legitimate channels), it entitles you to avail of technical support from the company that produced the installer. Marami pang stipulations regarding the technical support offerings depending on the version you availed of, and the extent of your deployment. Of course, technical support is rarely free -- since this is where the companies make their living out of.

So matatawag mong pirated copy yung installer lalo na kung may license regarding the use and posession of the installer and explicit prohibition of making unauthorized copies to be sold or otherwise distributed without the expressed written consent of the manufacturers and producers of the installer. :D

Makes sense ba? :D

Fedora Core 2 will become obsolete in June when Core 4 comes out.

Using FC 3 and Ubuntu at home, CentOS 4 at work.

For commercialized linux, there are clones of them like RHEL = CentOS/WBEL. Mikh is right, it's the support you're paying for. Most of the software in the OS itself are open source anyway, or ports ot them, and can be found in other OSes. But is the difference more on the packaging and interoperability of all the software in it? Like configurations, tools, etc?

Actually, it's true that Linux (the kernel) is released under the GPL -- pero that doesn't mean na hindi pwede na proprietary software yung nagrurun or kasama sa kanya. Usually yung installers are distributed with a fee, which directly benefits the producers of the distribution like RedHat and SuSE. However, once you make unauthorized copies of these intallers, you're effectively stealing from the producers earnings they'd be making if people bought the products directly from them (or through authorized distribution sources). This here, is piracy.

Now, if you happen to get a hold of an installer (through legitimate channels), it entitles you to avail of technical support from the company that produced the installer. Marami pang stipulations regarding the technical support offerings depending on the version you availed of, and the extent of your deployment. Of course, technical support is rarely free -- since this is where the companies make their living out of.

So matatawag mong pirated copy yung installer lalo na kung may license regarding the use and posession of the installer and explicit prohibition of making unauthorized copies to be sold or otherwise distributed without the expressed written consent of the manufacturers and producers of the installer. :D

Makes sense ba? :D

I disagree distributing a copy of any of the Linux distro a form of piracy even if you charge a fee. Please remember GPLed software guarantees freedom of using the software including modification, distribution (with or without a fee) and redistribution of the modified GPLed software provided you acknowledge the original author's copyleft (term coined as copyright for GPLed software) over the software and include the source code of the modified version of the software.

Most if not all distros include packages that are GPLed including packages they developed (e.g. RPM by Redhat). Fedora, Redhat, Suse and others distributes only packages under GPL license. Everyone, is entitled to copy their installers and redistributes it for a fee. Unless of course you make a copy of let say Suse Installer and call it under another name without noting that it is based on Suse, only then you break the GPL license.

Of course there are plenty of proprietary software in Linux. Thus, their source code is not distributed and there not GPLed. Distributing this type of software is completely illegal.

Distros like RedHat and Suse doesn't make money by distributing their software in a CD. They make money on support and trainings which is what GPL and Free Software Foundation is trying to preach. Software must be free, one only pays if he need whatever services by using the software.

For more information about the GPL license please read http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Hope this clears things up. :cool:

Fedora Core 2 will become obsolete in June when Core 4 comes out.

Using FC 3 and Ubuntu at home, CentOS 4 at work.

For commercialized linux, there are clones of them like RHEL = CentOS/WBEL. Mikh is right, it's the support you're paying for. Most of the software in the OS itself are open source anyway, or ports ot them, and can be found in other OSes. But is the difference more on the packaging and interoperability of all the software in it? Like configurations, tools, etc?

Thanks for the heads up cha. :D

The difference is the actual notice which comes with the product. Some of the tools (like the installer, the images, the specialized tools) come in different licenses. Not all of these are under the GPL. It's best to read up on the licenses that accompany the software you buy/use.

I disagree distributing a copy of any of the Linux distro a form of piracy even if you charge a fee. Please remember GPLed software guarantees freedom of using the software including modification, distribution (with or without a fee) and redistribution of the modified GPLed software provided you acknowledge the original author's copyleft (term coined as copyright for GPLed software) over the software and include the source code of the modified version of the software.

Most if not all distros include packages that are GPLed including packages they developed (e.g. RPM by Redhat). Fedora, Redhat, Suse and others distributes only packages under GPL license. Everyone, is entitled to copy their installers and redistributes it for a fee. Unless of course you make a copy of let say Suse Installer and call it under another name without noting that it is based on Suse, only then you break the GPL license.

Of course there are plenty of proprietary software in Linux. Thus, their source code is not distributed and there not GPLed. Distributing this type of software is completely illegal.

Distros like RedHat and Suse doesn't make money by distributing their software in a CD. They make money on support and trainings which is what GPL and Free Software Foundation is trying to preach. Software must be free, one only pays if he need whatever services by using the software.

For more information about the GPL license please read http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Hope this clears things up.  :cool:

Well, since you put it that way, we must make a distinction between the software under the GPL and the installer which comes in a box. If you have a box which contains the RHEL installer, you would most probably want to read the written documentation which specifically says that making copies and distributing the copies without the expressed written consent of RedHat would be deemed "illegal". Either that, or I'm misinterpreting the point of why RHEL installers may not be copied or distributed by anauthorized dealers.

And Yes, RedHat and SuSE make money by selling their products (even in a minimal fashion) but they make more money off the technical support they offer. :D

And yes, I've read the license, and don't dispute the validity of the license. It's just that not all the software in these distributions are under the GPL. :D

IMHO.. using linux is easier if you the basic knowledge

of commands used using the command line like..

- ls

- cp

- ln

- mkdir

- rmdir

- rm

and the likes..

because these commands help get around the system

and manipulate some files.. also you should be familiar

with VIM editor as it is commonly found on almost all

distros.. but I do prefer joe...feels like im using wordstar

when using joe kasi.. hehehehe

a linux user here as well .. been using RedHat most of the time, until Fedora Linux came.. but I also had some play time with Debian and Slackware before .. :)

lately, I've been experimenting with UML (User Mode Linux).. which I think is used by some VPS (Virtual Private Server) providers .. it's kinda cool since you can install different distros in 1 host OS .. right now I have RedHat 9 host, wherein Debian and Slackware distros virtually resides .. moreover, they virtual networks can also be used so they can really run services independently.. i can help if you want to play with UML yourself .. i have some info you can check out at my site .. :)

Edited by hyperaxe
IMHO.. using linux is easier if you the basic knowledge

of commands used using the command line like..

- ls

- cp

- ln

- mkdir

- rmdir

- rm

and the likes..

because these commands help get around the system

and manipulate some files.. also you should be familiar

with VIM editor as it is commonly found on almost all

distros.. but I do prefer joe...feels like im using wordstar

when using joe kasi.. hehehehe

Hi level, You have valid points with regards to getting used to and being productive in Linux. However, there are distributions already out there which allows you to do almost all your work in a GUI -- like Mandrake (Mandriva, the new name), and Ubuntu. It wouldn't hurt to know these commands, and they are definite advantages. :D

As for VIM, some people I know prefer emacs instead for doing everything on Linux. I have friends that actually run X just to run emacs -- no desktop environment, nothing else, just emacs in X. :D

a linux user here as well .. been using RedHat most of the time, until Fedora Linux came..  but I also had some play time with Debian and Slackware before .. :)

lately, I've been experimenting with UML (User Mode Linux).. which I think is used by some VPS (Virtual Private Server) providers .. it's kinda cool since you can install different distros in 1 host OS .. right now I have  RedHat 9 host, wherein Debian and Slackware distros virtually resides .. moreover, they virtual networks can also be used so they can really run services independently..  i can help if you want to play with UML yourself .. i have some info you can check out at my site ..  :)

Hi hyperaxe. :D UML definitely rocks. It's a very good idea indeed. :D

question lng po, how stable is linux as compared to XP pro?

Depends on what you mean by stable. If you mean stable as in it won't just crash on you, then Linux is definitely a lot more stable than Windows -- mainly due to the design of the actual kernel. With regards to predictable performance, that's another point for Linux. Most linux distributions are very well tested and secured with hundreds if not thousands of volunteer developers and maintainers working to make the distributions perform as stable as they and the users need.

However when it comes to abundance of software, Windows still has close to 90% of the world desktop market, so it's not surprising that most of the software we know and use are developed for and under Windows.

Pero kung stability at stability lang, pareho silang stable -- IMHO, mas stable nga lang ang Linux given na default installations lang icocompare mo nung dalawa. :D

Pero mas marami pang issues aside from stability na icoconsider pag gagamit ka ng operating system, although stability is one crucial factor.

HTH! :D

Has anyone here tried running SUSE Enterprise 9 in VMware 5? I'm having problems getting it running. According to Vmware 5.0 spec it should be able run SUSE Enterprise 9.

naka-command line ka ba? kasi di gagana GUI (KDE/Gnome) if di

mo na-install yung Vmware daemon/client, after ma-install mo na

gagana yung GUI part ng linux.. ssh access lang ako to my linux box..

hehehehe.. command line rocks!!!! :D

Another thing to consider is vulnerability to viruses... Linux is immune to the gazillion viruses that plague windoze machines..

Korek ka dyan! :thumbsupsmiley:

While everyone here at the office were frantically installing and updating their anti-virus, spyware detector, firewall, reinstalling windows, etc. I'm unaffected in my linux box. B)

One time a lot of computers went down due to virus and the boss got really annoyed because everyone was unproductive!

naka-command line ka ba? kasi di gagana GUI (KDE/Gnome) if di

mo na-install yung Vmware daemon/client, after ma-install mo na

gagana yung GUI part ng linux.. ssh access lang ako to my linux box..

hehehehe.. command line rocks!!!! :D

Yup its useful to learn those unix commands. Keep up the good work bro!

Sorry Mikh, I've given up Ubuntu. Red Hat baby ako. Ehehe. Duwag ba?

Why giving up Ubuntu? It's not suitable for my style of devel work. Actually, no developer tools are installed. Not even GCC.

Besides, Fedora is still nice. So is CentOS.

What really annoys me are the radical devel changes being made in every release of linux kernel 2.6! Some driver code written in early 2.6.8 need major revisions to port to > 2.6.9!

If any of you guys have experience with this, please PM me. Need help badly.

I keep forgetting that not everyone installs linux from the Net... When i wanted development tools on an ubuntu box i just used synaptic.. or if i wanted to do it from the command line i just apt-get install tasksel and then run tasksel from the CLI.

I like your choices too... I'm more partial to CentOS than Fedora though... and Debian / APT remains my package manager of choice.. but what the heck, they're all GNU/ Linux so they must be good, right :) :)

What's your problem with the 2.6 kernels?

Red Hat / Yum is okay with me. If it's not there, download an RPM or compile from source.

There are method calls in 2.6.8 that got deprecated in > 2.6.9 it compiles but when you load it into the kernel as a module, dmesg complains with cannot resolve symbol. So either there are missing things in the kernel source/libs, or it got removed in > 2.6.9. During compile time, there were warnings with deprecated methods.

Ewan kakainis. First things first, make it run. Optimize later.

My conclusion: driver was written for early 2.6 kernel. Heck it won't even compile in kernel 2.4! Code is a bit unstable. There were instances when it cracked up the system. I can't run any new apps except for the ones that are already running. Happened in Fedora 3, CentOS 4, WBEL 3. So it's not an isolated incindent.

Hay... rants rants rants. Sorry couldn't help you guys with any of your Linux woes.

Red Hat / Yum is okay with me. If it's not there, download an RPM or compile from source.

There are method calls in 2.6.8 that got deprecated in > 2.6.9 it compiles but when you load it into the kernel as a module, dmesg complains with cannot resolve symbol. So either there are missing things in the kernel source/libs, or it got removed in > 2.6.9. During compile time, there were warnings with deprecated methods.

My conclusion: driver was written for early 2.6 kernel. Heck it won't even compile in kernel 2.4! Code is a bit unstable. There were instances when it cracked up the system. I can't run any new apps except for the ones that are already running. Happened in Fedora 3, CentOS 4, WBEL 3. So it's not an isolated incindent.

Hay... rants rants rants. Sorry couldn't help you guys with any of your Linux woes.

Maybe the module the methods you use in 2.6.8 has an updated version. If I'm correct, you can try to make a sym link of the old version to the new version.

If the method is deprecated, there must be a new method that sure replace the deprecated ones. Sana makatulong. :cool:

YUM is actually Yellow Dog Update Manager... synaptic can also manage yum repositories as well as Debian / Apt.. Have you tried Dag's Yum repositories for CentOS? Great for software that isn't on the CentOS update sites or on the CDs..

What device driver are you trying to compile?