^

i remember being taught the rudiments of sex ed in grade school. if memory serves me right, this took place in 5th grade and consisted mainly of the 'sperm and egg' talk. it was scientific in approach.

it was later (2nd year high) that sex ed started to take the form of an open discussion- bastusan na ang usapan. our instructor would liberally use words like fellatio and cunnilingus, knowing that we his students knew what he was talking about.

without knowing with certainty, i think that the curriculum that the dep ed has prepared for sex ed will somehow reflect what i have experienced in the late 70's to early 80's. teach the scientific aspect in the formative years, and progress to the more worldly stuff that more accurately reflects today's youngster's everyday life.

@darien: you don't know what transpires in a private all-boys school. i wouldn't say that we were lamang in sex ed, but we're pretty close to the most any kid could experience.

I'm all for Sex Ed being taught in school. The more kids know about it, the more responsible they become. Hindi naman mapipigilan maging curious ang mga kids, particularly teens, about sex. Kaya lumalaki population natin e...madami mga di marunong umiwas sa unwanted pregnancy. Kailangan maituro ito sa mga public schools sa provinces, lalo na sa mga liblib na areas. Dun kasi uso yung padamihan nang anak since minimal o zero ang knowledge nila about family planning.

Eka nga sa G.I. Joe..."knowing is half the battle"

At sinong parent ang magtuturo? Yung parent na hindi rin sex-educated? Akala ko ba ayaw nila sa blind leading the blind? Ay sus. Eto ang isang rason kaya hindi ako makabalik balik sa Catholic Church kahit matagal ko nang gusto. Yun mga ganitong KABOBOHAN ng liderato ng simbahan talagang hindi ko matangap.

nong nasa elementarya pa ako, nagkwento ang top student ng klase. sabi nya: "sabi ng mama ko huwag daw ako magpahawak sa boobs kase mabubuntis daw ako." yung bestfriend nya, ayaw magpatalo: "ang sabi naman ng mommy ko huwag din daw magpapahalik kahit saan kase nakakabuntis din daw yun."

kaya hayun, yung valedictorian nabuntis bago matapos ng college sa LB.

well, that's parental guidance (PG) sex education for you. :P

Eto nga daw pala yung SE modules:

Grade School: Basic Sex Educ (BSE)

High School: Advanced Sex Educ (ASE)

College: OJT

:D

Edited by KristinLavransdatr

I just heard in the news this morning that the new DepEd secretary that Noynoy wants to appoint is a priest from La Salle. If this goes through, patay na ang sex ed sa mga achools. See it here from inquirer.net

@darien: you don't know what transpires in a private all-boys school. i wouldn't say that we were lamang in sex ed, but we're pretty close to the most any kid could experience.

You're right, I don't know what it's like in an all-boys school. All I know is that when I attended a private Catholic school, they just glossed over, or even avoided, the subject matter. Whereas when I attended the said public highscool, there was plenty of discussions about sex ed. From formal classroom lectures in Biology and P.E.H.M, to informal discussion during home rooom, and even those municipal government sponsored symposia. I knew plenty about STD's by the time I was 14 cause of all that.

Edited by Darien Faust
  • 3 weeks later...

where's the thrill of learning sex stuff if they are going to teach it in school?? :rolleyes: for me, some things are better left that way and let their instincts direct them...they just need a good foundation though... and i believe parents should be taught first before their children... anyway its just my views...I'm just glad i had the best mentor for all these stuff.. :P :P

Edited by dokitty

and who should give kids a good 'sex education' foundation? their friends?

sex education isn't meant to be thrilling. it precisely aims to give a good foundation on the topic matter to youngsters growing up. i think later on, with the advent of puberty, even if sex education could be instructional and rigid, it will evolve into a more thrilling, more risque subject.

however, the real thrill should come with actual experience. hopefully when the time comes for a youngster to finally explore sex, he or she will be armed with sufficient knowledge so that the thrill won't be lost on a stupid mistake that may follow sex. a disease or an unwanted pregnancy should put a damper on the best sexual experience anybody could ever have.

• 2 months later...

"The State shall defend:

The right of families or family associations to participate in the planning and implementation of policies and programs that affect them." (Art. XV, Sec. 3) "

This is the hook that allows the Church to prevent sexual eduaction from being taught properly in public schools and in many parochial ones. They contend that it is better to have the family teach this than the school. The sex ed curriculum was scrapped recently because there were so many objections to the people who developed it...the Church wanted it to be less physical and focus more on abstinence, choice and sin. They wanted any mention of contraception to be omitted and to stress the rhythm method. Finally, they wanted the final version to be approved by their team of 'sexperts' first. That is unbelievable.

Oh abstinence-only education. Two words: Total. Failure.

http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/article/abstinence_only_failure_latest_research_shows

To the previous poster who says that Americans have comprehensive sex ed, only the lucky states do. For conservative states (Hey, you could include the good ol' Philippines too), abstinence-only sex ed results in more unplanned pregnancies and STD rates.

GOOD JOB, CHURCH. We're truly grateful for the misery you're forcing down our throats.

Sex Education should be teach at home first at the point they can really determine what is right from wrong, and Parents should really teach, guide and show them in a way they would grasp the biblical meaning, purpose, limitations and consequences of it... ^_^

There was a saying "Teach your Children in the way they should go, as they grow old they will not depart from it"...

Edited by kira21
  • Like (+1) 1

Dahil sa status ng corruption sa Pilipinas, kung magdadagdag ka ng panibagong subject such as Sex Education, panibagong gastusin na naman ng gobyerno. Ano na ang mangyayari sa sistema ng edukasyon? Pano mo lalabanan ang kahirapan kung gawa ng gawa ng programa na pwede namang ituro sa tahanan. Sa totoo lang marami ng aware na kelangan safety first muna sa sex.

Ang problema ng simbahan, tingin nila sa SEX ay madumi. Samantala ito ay normal biological function of the human animal. Yung malice na nakikita nila sa sex ay ang MALICE NA NASA UTAK NILA MISMO.

dude, ndi tingin ng simbahan sa SEX ay MARUMI! 'to ay SACRED! ginagawa lng dapat ng MAG-ASAWA!

so from the word "mag-asawa", hindi na dapat i-explain sa mga kabataan kung ano ibig sabihin nito!

kaya dapat ndi na ituro! COMMON SENSE NA LANG! -_-

saka ano itututro, "SAFE SEX"??? bakit kailan ba naging "UNSAFE" 'to in the first place??! :huh:

Sa mga kabataan, the more they know, the more they get curious about it, the more na gagawin nila yun, lalo na kung alam nilang CD lang naman pala ang katapat nyan, gawin na agad. I'll redict na mas lalong bibilis pagdami ng tao sa Pilipinas within 5 years maumpisahan yan, at dadami pa lalo ang mga teenage parents.

Sa mga kabataan, the more they know, the more they get curious about it, the more na gagawin nila yun, lalo na kung alam nilang CD lang naman pala ang katapat nyan, gawin na agad. I'll redict na mas lalong bibilis pagdami ng tao sa Pilipinas within 5 years maumpisahan yan, at dadami pa lalo ang mga teenage parents.

kaya nga! sabi nila, "mas masarap ang bawal!" :lol:

dude, ndi tingin ng simbahan sa SEX ay MARUMI! 'to ay SACRED! ginagawa lng dapat ng MAG-ASAWA!

so from the word "mag-asawa", hindi na dapat i-explain sa mga kabataan kung ano ibig sabihin nito!

kaya dapat ndi na ituro! COMMON SENSE NA LANG! -_-

saka ano itututro, "SAFE SEX"??? bakit kailan ba naging "UNSAFE" 'to in the first place??! :huh:

Umaalma ba ang simbahan pag may pinatay? Pero bakit pag may rape, nandyan na kaagad sila?

Bakit ang native tribes ok lang mag-topless? Pero ang mga civilized na tao, hindi? Why is nudity bad?

Same with sex?

It is unsafe when you don't know the sexual history of your partner. It is unsafe on those days where the girl could get pregnant.

Unsafe when there could be a video of it coming out on the internet.

Ano pa gusto mo?

the more they don't know, the more they can't prevent it. What is the difference about knowing about guns and knowing safe handling of guns? May age requirement ba? Common sense ba yan?

Saan mo nakuha nag prediction na yan? Mas marami bang teenage parents dun sa countries with sex education.

Promiscuity ang kinatatakutan nyo and STDs. You want to keep the status quo. I think you all know that it's changing. Dati konti lang ang same sex, ngayon madami na.

Also yung mindset na pag nakatikim ng sarap, baka hanap-hanapin na.

Itago ng itago para di malaman just like so many things in the phils.

Edited by complicated8
  • Downvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Dahil sa status ng corruption sa Pilipinas, kung magdadagdag ka ng panibagong subject such as Sex Education, panibagong gastusin na naman ng gobyerno. Ano na ang mangyayari sa sistema ng edukasyon? Pano mo lalabanan ang kahirapan kung gawa ng gawa ng programa na pwede namang ituro sa tahanan. Sa totoo lang marami ng aware na kelangan safety first muna sa sex.

You don't need a new subject. It can be added to the curriculum of the existing subjects, like Biology and PE, Heatlh and Music (meron pa ba nun?). Oour teahcers in high school did that.

• 2 months later...

It should definitely be part of the curriculum considering that the age of consent in the Philippines is 12 - http://www.sexlaws.org/changing_age_of_consent_consent_from_12_to_16_in_philipines_meets_with_some_resistance

And apparently there is resistance to the move to try and raise the age to 16 - without education what 12 year old understands sex including all of the consequence including pregnancy, STD's, the emotional issues? Prime situation for the exploitation of children.

• 1 year later...

I learned all about the birds and the bees when I was in Grade 7. Sex education class was conducted by a Lebanese FSC brother (La Salle).

I'm surprised sex education isn't being taught today to kids. They are the ones who will most benefit from this course. Perhaps teenage pregnancies would diminish if kids knew more about the human procreation process.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned all about the birds and the bees when I was in Grade 7. Sex education class was conducted by a Lebanese FSC brother (La Salle).

I'm surprised sex education isn't being taught today to kids. They are the ones who will most benefit from this course. Perhaps teenage pregnancies would diminish if kids knew more about the human procreation process.

Sex education is one of the objectives of the RH Law. A law the Catholic Church condemned as evil. Considering La Salle is a Catholic institution, it's surprising that sex education was offered back when you were in Grade 7. I guess the Catholic Church has gotten more closed minded since those days.

• Downvote 1

Sex education is one of the objectives of the RH Law. A law the Catholic Church condemned as evil. Considering La Salle is a Catholic institution, it's surprising that sex education was offered back when you were in Grade 7. I guess the Catholic Church has gotten more closed minded since those days.

Well yeah that's true I suppose. We also had counsellors at La Salle who wanted to know if we had any idea about female anatomy, sex, the whole nine yards. Guess they were concerned about our moral behavior.