Construction - Residential,commercial, Atbp.

sir, familiar ka ba sa sonoshield na waterproofing material? baka may alam ka pang ibang distributor nito. sinasakal kse ako nung isa kong subcon on this product.

IN RELATION TO TIMS21'S QUERIES

1.sir, familiar ka ba sa sonoshield na waterproofing material? baka may alam ka pang ibang distributor nito. sinasakal kse ako nung isa kong subcon on this product

<WELL LOOKS LIKE YOUR SUBCON HAS YOU BY THE BALLS :thumbsupsmiley: IT IS NOT MY PRACTICE TO GIVE OUT CONTACT NUMBERS FROM MY SUPPLIERS..BUT TO MAKE IOT MORE OBJECTIVE, THIS IS A NUMBER FROM BASF - CHEMICAL COMPANY...+63-2-6329995 THEN ASK THEM IF THEY HAVE OTHER DISTRIBUTORS HERE IN SOUTHEAST ASIA. >

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the reply sir, here I am again, hehe, hmm, medyo mahal pala aabutin ng slab, kahit i 2 storey lang sya, tatanong ko lang po sana kase ang plan ko ngun is lagyan lang ng 2nd floor na kahoy, di po ba 6 by 4 sya, yung 2nd floor is 3 by 4 meaning kwarto lang talaga yung itaas, napag isip isip ko kase na i invest na lang sa ibang bagay yung money kung sakali, ang tanung po is ok lang po ba na walang biga yung 1st floor, wala rin syang poste sa gitna kase bungalow type lang yung pag kakagawa, isisingit lang yung 2nd floor na 3m ang haba and 4m wide, ok lang po ba na wag ng lagyan na biga, thanks po..

IN RELATION TO SIMPLE ARASHI'S QUERIES

1.ang tanung po is ok lang po ba na walang biga yung 1st floor, wala rin syang poste sa gitna kase bungalow type lang yung pag kakagawa, isisingit lang yung 2nd floor na 3m ang haba and 4m wide, ok lang po ba na wag ng lagyan na biga, thanks po..

<DISCLAIMER: MY RESPONSE TO THIS IS SPECIFIC QUESTION IS NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION EVALUATION OR APPLICATION..I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM ANY INCRIMINATION AT THE EVENT THAT IT IS APPLIED WITHOUT PROPER CONSULATATION WITH SITE PROFESSIONALS & PLANS >

<IF YOUR PLANNING TO PUT UP A ROOM AS SOME SORT OF ATTIC AS LONG AS IT FULFILLS ALL LOAD ( LIVE LOAD , DEADLOAD AND LATERAL FORCES ) REQUIREMNTS AND THAT OF SOUND CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, IT WOULD APPEAR THAT IF YOU DONT WANT IT TO HAVE POSTS FOR SUPPORT IT HAS TO BE A CANTILEVER TYPE OF BEAM...OH ANOTHJER THING..IT IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU WONT HAVE A BEAM ( BIGA ) IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT WHERE WILL YOUR FLOOR BE SUPPORTED IF YOU DONT HAVE A BEAM IN THE FIRST PLACE. >

< I SUGGEST YOU ASK YOUR HIRED PERSONNEL FOR PRACTICAL ADVISE ON THIS >

IN RELATION TO SIMPLE ARASHI'S QUERIES

1.ang tanung po is ok lang po ba na walang biga yung 1st floor, wala rin syang poste sa gitna kase bungalow type lang yung pag kakagawa, isisingit lang yung 2nd floor na 3m ang haba and 4m wide, ok lang po ba na wag ng lagyan na biga, thanks po..

<DISCLAIMER: MY RESPONSE TO THIS IS SPECIFIC QUESTION IS NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTUAL CONSTRUCTION EVALUATION OR APPLICATION..I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM ANY INCRIMINATION AT THE EVENT THAT IT IS APPLIED WITHOUT PROPER CONSULATATION WITH SITE PROFESSIONALS & PLANS >

<IF YOUR PLANNING TO PUT UP A ROOM AS SOME SORT OF ATTIC AS LONG AS IT FULFILLS ALL LOAD ( LIVE LOAD , DEADLOAD AND LATERAL FORCES ) REQUIREMNTS AND THAT OF SOUND CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS, IT WOULD APPEAR THAT IF YOU DONT WANT IT TO HAVE POSTS FOR SUPPORT IT HAS TO BE A CANTILEVER TYPE OF BEAM...OH ANOTHJER THING..IT IS IMPOSSIBLE IF YOU WONT HAVE A BEAM ( BIGA ) IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT WHERE WILL YOUR FLOOR BE SUPPORTED IF YOU DONT HAVE A BEAM IN THE FIRST PLACE. >

< I SUGGEST YOU ASK YOUR HIRED PERSONNEL FOR PRACTICAL ADVISE ON THIS >

thanks a lot... good day sir....

• 2 weeks later...

OFF TOPIC

HELLO EVERYONE..AS MOST OF YOU KNOW PARIS HILTON WAS RELEASED FROM DETENTION 20MINS AGO, BUT THATS NOT WHAT I WANTED TO TLAK ABOUT :thumbsupsmiley:

I WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT ON THE RECENT BROUHAHA THATS BEEN ALLOWED AT TAAL VOLCANO AT TALISAY BATANGAS, AS MOST OF YOU KNOW IT HAS BENN REPORTED THAT CONSTRUCTION IS BEING MADE NEAR THE CRATER AND WITHIN THE VICINITY OF THE VOLCANO.

THE FUNNY THING ABOUT IT IS THAT THE CONSTRUCTION WAS ALLOWED SO AS IT WOULD "GENERATE" NEEDED FUNDS FOR THE SUPPORT OF THE MUNICIPALITY, ANOTHER IS THAT THE FOREIGN FIRM ACTUALLY "BOUGHT" THE TITLE ON THE "LANDS" THAT THE STRUCTURE WOULD BE, AND THAT IT WAS "AWARDED" WITH AN ENVIRONMENTAL CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE BY THE RELEVANT AGENCY INVOLVED.

WELL MY TAKE ON THAT IS THIS...

IT ONLY HAPPENS HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES :lol:

AND THE MOST FUNNIEST THING IS THAT THOSE WHO ACTUALLY WENT ALONG WITH THIS KIND OF "GOOD WORK" ACTUALLY THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA...AND YEP THEY SHOWED THEIR FACE AND APPLAUDED IT ON THE NEWS :lol:

YOU KNOW THE REASON WOULD HAVE BEEN OK..BUT SHOWING YOUR FACE ON TV AND "CALMLY" DEFENDING IT....KAHIT SINONG LOKOLOKO PAGTATAWANAN KA...TALO KA PA NUNG MAY T*E SA ULO :lol:

ALL I CAN SAY IS...I THINK THEY ARE LAUGHING THEMSELVES LITERALLY TO THE BANK... B)

AND I HOPE READERS AND VOTERS HERE NOW KNOW WHO NOT TO VOTE FOR COME ELECTIONS :lol:

EVEN IF THEIR WHAT YOU CALL PROFESSIONALS THEIR...FROM LAWYERS TO STAFFMEMBERS...DOWN TO THE LOWLY ENGINEER WHO ARE AT SITE AREA WORKING...ALL I CAN SAY IS ...WELL < ANG T*T*NGA NYO!!! >

AND TO THERE IS THIS I READ IN THE PDI THAT THE PHILIPPINES "WILL" BE A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY IN 20 YRS. :lol:

< HAAAY NAKU WITH ALL OF THESE SO CALLED "PRO'S" DOING THE WORK...I GUESS ITS NOT BAD TO JUST DREAM ON >

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A REJOINDER ON THE POST ABOVE

I ACTUALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THE VOLCANO ACTUALLY HAS "TITLES" THAT CAN BE SOLD :lol:

I ACTUALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THERE ARE STILL "PROFESSIONALS" HERE WHO CAN DO IT THERE :lol:

ANOTHER OFF TOPIC...I HOPE THE MODERATORS WOULD UNDERSTAND OF MY URGENT NEED FOR MONEY..

IM LOOKING FOR INVESTORS FOR A SPA, ITS MUCH BETTER BECAUSE OF THE SCENERY...AND YES THE LANDSCAPE IS QUITE EASY TO MANAGE CONSIDERING THAT ITS "FRESH", AND IT HAS EXISTING "MONUMENTS" AND "RUINS" THAT ARE CURRENT TOURIST ATTRACTIONS.

I'D BE WILLING TO LEASE IT FOR A CHEAP PRICE OF 2T PER SQM.

A HELICOPTER TOUR WILL BE GIVEN TO THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED...JUST PM ME :lol:

that's a nice one bro. somehow i feel safe with my money if i invest in this.

back on topic, thanks for answering my past questions.

i'd now like to ask a question that is relevent to the season. though it is best to start construction during the dry season, what are the dangers of starting it in the wet season (if at all there are) for some people who can't wait after the rainy days are gone? how does one avoid these.

lastly, is there truth in the common belief that construction materials are cheaper during this season?

that's a nice one bro. somehow i feel safe with my money if i invest in this.

back on topic, thanks for answering my past questions.

i'd now like to ask a question that is relevent to the season. though it is best to start construction during the dry season, what are the dangers of starting it in the wet season (if at all there are) for some people who can't wait after the rainy days are gone? how does one avoid these.

lastly, is there truth in the common belief that construction materials are cheaper during this season?

IN RESPONSE TO WEEKDAYWARRIOR69'S QUERIES

1.i'd now like to ask a question that is relevent to the season. though it is best to start construction during the dry season, what are the dangers of starting it in the wet season (if at all there are) for some people who can't wait after the rainy days are gone? how does one avoid these.

< ACTUALLY THERES NOT MUCH OF A DANGER HERE..ITS JUST THAT THE WEATHER HAS A WAY OF INTERFERING WITH A PERCIEVED SCHEDULE ( AND CONSTRUCTION MEANS IF YOUR ON-SCHEDULE MEAN LESS ADDITIONAL COST ) JUST CONSIDER YOUR TYPICAL HEAVY RAIN SCENARIO...IF A SPECIFIC LINE ITEM LIKE CONCRETING IS SUPPOSE TO TAKE ONLY 7 WORKING DAYS ( THAT IS 8.0 HOURS ON ONE DAY ) THEN IT RAINS HEAVILY...AND YOUR SITE IS WELL..A BIT FLOODED ( YOU'LL KNOW THE WONDERS OF A 15.0 MINUTE 7.0 INCHES OF RAIN CAN DO ) AND OF COURSE YOUR AREA IS DAMP ( OK..WET ) SO YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT VIABLE FOR IT TO PROCEED...THEN YOUR WORKERS DON'T SHOW UP ( HEY ITS FLOODED...YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM WALK ALL THE WAY TO THE WORK SITE...IF THEIR THE TYPE THAT STAYS IN THE SITE..WORKERS TEND TO BE SLUGGISH ( I SUPPOSE YOU WORK TOO..I GUESS YOU GET THE IDEA IF ITS RAINING HARD...AND YES THE S*X IS HARD AND CONDUSIVE )...BUT HEY YOU WERE ABLE TO MAKE THE SITE SUITABLE AND YOUR EMPLOYEES ALL PREP UP TO WORK EVEN THOUGH ITS RAINING...SO IT MEANS THE CLOCK IS TICKING ( YOU'RE STILL PAYING YOUR WORKERS REMEMBER ) AND WHILE WAITING FOR THAT READY MIX CONCRETE DELIVERY FOR MORE THAN 5.0 HRS. YOU GET A CALL FROM THE BATCHING PLANT THAT THEIR NOT COMING SINCE THE STREETS ARE ALL FLOODED...THEN YOU'LL REALIZE YOU SPENT SOMETHING FOR DOING NOTHING...I HOPE YOU GET THE PICTURE ON THIS. >

<WELL THERES NOTHING MUCH TO AVOID SINCE YOU LIKE IT OR NOT RAIN IS A PART OF THE DAILY WEATHER..THE MOST THAT WE CAN DO IS CONTROL, MITIGATE & MINIMIZE WHATEVER GOINGS ON IF IT HAPPENS...A GOOD PLANNING AND SITE OPERATOR CAN DO WONDERS YOU KNOW >

< JUST REMEMBER MURPHY'S LAW...IF THINGS ARE GOING SMOOTHLY...SOMETHING UNRULY DOES HAPPEN >

2. is there truth in the common belief that construction materials are cheaper during this season?

< WELL IM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT...ALL I KNOW IS THAT DURING THE SEASON THEIR IS AN INFLUX OF SUPPLIES..SINCE CONSTRUCTION IS NOT THAT ALL BOOM TILL SEPTEMBER..I SUPPOSE LAWS OF ECONOMICS APPLY AT TIMES...BIG SUPPLY WOULD MEAN LESS PRICE..LOW SUPPLY WOULD MEAN HIGH PRICE >

< BUT THEN IF YOUR CONTRACT STATES THAT THERE IS NO ESCALATION CLAUSE ON THE COST OF THE MATERIALS...YOU NEED NOT WORRY BECUASE ITS SUPPOSE TO STAY AS IT IS...YOU'LL ONLY HAVE TO SEE IF WHAT YOU PAID FOR IS WHAT THEY ACTUALLY BOUGHT AND ARE USING >

< WELL IF YOU SAY SO THAT YOUR MONEY IS SURE ON IT..TRY GOING TO THE SITE...CHECK IT ON THE GROUND AND YOU'LL SEE >

ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED :flowers:

Ano po ang sukat ng pinaka maliit na apartment (1 bedroom, 1 T&B, sala & dining room)? pwede na po ba dito ang 25 sq m?

magkano po ang magagastos dito per sq m?

Ilang apartment ang magkakasya sa 400 sq m na lupa?

Mga magkano po ito kung papaupahan?

Salamat po

You're saying that you couldn't develop properties into a subdivision without a developer in a joint venture, but then these developers also raise funds for the development cost by preselling. Could not the property owner presell the lots himself to raise the funds for development? What percentage of the development cost should the property owner be prepared to shoulder himself? How long will it normally take from the start of construction to delivery of lots for a 12 hectare development? Thanks.

Ano po ang sukat ng pinaka maliit na apartment (1 bedroom, 1 T&B, sala & dining room)? pwede na po ba dito ang 25 sq m?

magkano po ang magagastos dito per sq m?

Ilang apartment ang magkakasya sa 400 sq m na lupa?

Mga magkano po ito kung papaupahan?

Salamat po

IN RELATION TO JERZZ' QUERIES

1.Ano po ang sukat ng pinaka maliit na apartment (1 bedroom, 1 T&B, sala & dining room)? pwede na po ba dito ang 25 sq m?

< ACTUALLY THERE IS NO ACTUAL STATISTIC ON WHAT IS THE SMALLEST AVAILABLE APARTMENT HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES..BUT BE REST ASSURED IT CAN BE LESS THAN 25.0SQM ( PUNTA KA SA MGA "INFORMAL SETTLING AREAS" KUNG SAAN NAGPAPAUPA DIN SILA NG MGA "UNITS" ) BUT IF I HAVE MY FACTS CORRECT, THE BUILDING CODE STATES THAT THE MINIMUM FOR A HOUSING UNIT THE LOT MUST NOT BE LESS THAN 40.0SQM...PLS DO NOTE THE EMPHASIS NO THE LOT. >

2. magkano po ang magagastos dito per sq m?

< WELL IT DEPENDS IF ITS GOING TO BE JUST A BUNGALOW OR A MULIT-STOREY STRUCTURE DEPENDING IF THE LOT CAN ACTUALLY HANDLE A MULIT-STOREY STRUCTURE >

3. Ilang apartment ang magkakasya sa 400 sq m na lupa?

< WELL IT DEPENDS BUT IF WE WILL FOLLOW MANDATED GUIDELINES THE MOST THAT YOU CAN PUT THERE IS 4 UNITS IF ITS A BUNGALOW TYPE..AND IF ITS A MULTI STOREY STRUCTURE IT COULD BE 4 MULITPLIED BY THE STOREYS THE STRUCTURE WOULD BE..AND IT AGAIN DEPENDS IF THE LOT IS ABLE TO HANDLE A MULTI STOREY STRUCTURE. >

4. Mga magkano po ito kung papaupahan?

< DEPENDS ON WHERE THE PLACE WILL BE BUILT AND CURRENT MARKET ON THE TYPE OF STRUCTURE YOUR PLANNING TO MAKE...AS THEY SAY IN REAL ESTATE...IT WILL ALWAYS BE BASED ON LOCATION, LOCATION & LOCATION >

< I KNOW MOST OF THE ANSWERES THAT I HAVE GIVEN ARE MOSTLY GENERAL ANSWERES...I SUPPOSE IF YOU CAN BE SPECIFIC ON YOUR QUERIES I COULD HAVE GIVEN YOU SPECIFICS LIKE THOSE WHO HAVE POSTED THEIR QUERIES...>

< IT WOULD BE APRECIATED IF A FEEDBACK IS GIVIN ON THIS > :goatee:

You're saying that you couldn't develop properties into a subdivision without a developer in a joint venture, but then these developers also raise funds for the development cost by preselling. Could not the property owner presell the lots himself to raise the funds for development? What percentage of the development cost should the property owner be prepared to shoulder himself? How long will it normally take from the start of construction to delivery of lots for a 12 hectare development? Thanks.

IN RELATION TO REDAX' QUERIES

1.You're saying that you couldn't develop properties into a subdivision without a developer in a joint venture, but then these developers also raise funds for the development cost by preselling.

< I DIDNT SAY YOU COULDNT...I SAID IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT...(SEE MY REPLY ON THE QUERY REGARDING SUBDIVISION DEVELOPMENT BY A LOT OWNER ) IT WOULD BE DIFFICULT BASICALLY BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS THAT HAS TO BE DONE TO MAKE IT A REALITY...AND YES I MENTIONED IT IS POSSIBLE IF YOU DO HAVE MONEY TO BURN ( LITERALLY & FIGURATIVELY ) SINCE YOU AND YOUR ENTITY WOULD WANT TO DO IT ( HIRING PROFESSIONALS AINT CHEAP YOU KNOW...BUT IT DEPENDS...READ MY PAST POST ON "BEER LANG ANG KATAPAT" TRANSACTIONS ) AND NO DEVELOPERS DONT USE PRE-SELLING AS A TOOL TO DEVELOP THE PROPERTY...ITS A MARKETING TOOL TO ENTICE BUYERS TO BUY, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT WOULD SUSTAIN THE PROJECT...MIND YOU PRE-SELLING IS QUITE RISKY TO THE BUYER SO IT'S NOT REALLY THAT RELIABLE..YOU NEED TO HAVE FUNDS FOR THE PROJECT FIRST HAND >

2.Could not the property owner presell the lots himself to raise the funds for development?

< YES IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO THAT..BUT BOTTOM LINE IS THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE THE SETUP ALREADY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT. ( SINO NMAN ANG MANINIWALA SA YO KUNG WALA KANG PROJECT DEVELOPEMNT AND PAPERS TO SHOW THAT YOUR DOING PRE-SELLING ) PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT IS DIFFERENT FROM ANIMAL SCIENCE AND HUSBANDRY, ITS NOT LIKE BEFORE THE COW/BREED DOG GIVES BIRTH THE OFFSPRINGS CAN BE GIVEN TO THE "BUYER" IF HE PAYS EARLY, IN PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT EVEN IF YOU GIVE MONEY TO AN OWNER FOR A "PERCIEVED" DEVELOPMENT AND IT DOES NOT PUSH THRU..THE BUYER WOULD BE AT THE LOOSING END OF THE DEAL...AND PEOPLE ARE CONSCIOUS OF THESE THINGS. LIKE I SAID YOU NEED PEOPLE AND MONEY TO BURN FOR YOU TO DO THIS YOURSELF. >

< I HAVE THE NOTION THAT YOUR TRYING TO EMULATE WHAT DONALD TRUMP DID, WELL WHAT HE DID WAS APPLICABLE BACK THEN AND POSSIBLE, BUT NOWADAYS...I DONT THNIK IT CAN BE DONE EASILY >

3.What percentage of the development cost should the property owner be prepared to shoulder himself? How long will it normally take from the start of construction to delivery of lots for a 12 hectare development?

< AT LEAST 75% OF THE DEVELOPMENT COST...YOU CAN'T EXPECT YOUR BUYERS TO BUY IT IN CASH...IN SOME RARE INSTANCES THEY DO BUT THE MOST THEY DONT SO BE PREPARED, AND MOST LIKELY A THIRD PARTY WOULD BE PAYING THE MORTGAGE LIKE PAG-IBIG, GSIS ETC. AND BELIEVE ME IT WILL TAKE TIME. >

<HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE? WELL IT DEPENDS ON HOW FAST YOU DEAL WITH THE AGANCY THAT DEALS THOSE PAPERS ( READ MY EARLIER POSTS ) CONSTRUCTION DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF DEVELOPMENT THAT YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH AND OF COURSE THE STRUCTURES...PROBABLY MORE THAN 3 YRS THE LEAST BUT IT DEPENDS ON A LOT OF FACTORS >

< BOTTOMLINE IS THAT YOU HAVE TO BE COMMITTED TO IT ONCE YOU START IT...ITS GOING TO BE SERIOUS MONEY AND EFFORT...BUT ONCE ITS DONE PROPERLY THE PROPERTY COULD BECOME A LANDMARK ON THE AREA. >

ei.. nice thread i'm a civil engineer also. from your posts i can tell you're really knowledgeable and already have a vast experience regarding many aspects of being a civil engineer. i just want to ask some personal questions... 1) do you have plans to work abroad? 2) what field of civil engineering do you think is the most in demand today? thanks.. :)

Thanks for the reply Nastymerlin. In our case we're fortunate that we've already had a developer present us with a proposal for a joint venture so we probably could just talk to the person who did the development plan and hopefully he wouldn't charge us that much anymore since its data he already has anyway. Another plus for us is across the street is already a subdivision which had been sold out so we could pretty much do a comparative study with it. The subdivision is sold out, yet their road lots aren't even 50% completed yet. What we have going for us is that we are debt free, we have a 200 meter frontage and the residential subdivision market in our city is booming. Would you happen to know a good estimate of road construction cost per square meter as well as what per cent of subdivision development usually goes to road construction. Area is southern Mindanao. Thanks.

IN RELATION TO JERZZ' QUERIES

1.Ano po ang sukat ng pinaka maliit na apartment (1 bedroom, 1 T&B, sala & dining room)? pwede na po ba dito ang 25 sq m?

< ACTUALLY THERE IS NO ACTUAL STATISTIC ON WHAT IS THE SMALLEST AVAILABLE APARTMENT HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES..BUT BE REST ASSURED IT CAN BE LESS THAN 25.0SQM ( PUNTA KA SA MGA "INFORMAL SETTLING AREAS" KUNG SAAN NAGPAPAUPA DIN SILA NG MGA "UNITS" ) BUT IF I HAVE MY FACTS CORRECT, THE BUILDING CODE STATES THAT THE MINIMUM FOR A HOUSING UNIT THE LOT MUST NOT BE LESS THAN 40.0SQM...PLS DO NOTE THE EMPHASIS NO THE LOT. >

The size of the Lot is 400sq m. Actually gusto ko medyo maliit lang para mura at mura din upa target ko kasi mga employee ng bagong tinatayong SM Taytay.

2. magkano po ang magagastos dito per sq m?

< WELL IT DEPENDS IF ITS GOING TO BE JUST A BUNGALOW OR A MULIT-STOREY STRUCTURE DEPENDING IF THE LOT CAN ACTUALLY HANDLE A MULIT-STOREY STRUCTURE >

If its just a Bungalow? Or pwede ding condominium style. (3 Storey) Kasya na ba ang P7k per sq m each on a very basic structure

3. Ilang apartment ang magkakasya sa 400 sq m na lupa?

< WELL IT DEPENDS BUT IF WE WILL FOLLOW MANDATED GUIDELINES THE MOST THAT YOU CAN PUT THERE IS 4 UNITS IF ITS A BUNGALOW TYPE..AND IF ITS A MULTI STOREY STRUCTURE IT COULD BE 4 MULITPLIED BY THE STOREYS THE STRUCTURE WOULD BE..AND IT AGAIN DEPENDS IF THE LOT IS ABLE TO HANDLE A MULTI STOREY STRUCTURE. > Only 4 on a bungalow kung ang size is mga 40 sq m as you stated?

4. Mga magkano po ito kung papaupahan?

< DEPENDS ON WHERE THE PLACE WILL BE BUILT AND CURRENT MARKET ON THE TYPE OF STRUCTURE YOUR PLANNING TO MAKE...AS THEY SAY IN REAL ESTATE...IT WILL ALWAYS BE BASED ON LOCATION, LOCATION & LOCATION >

< I KNOW MOST OF THE ANSWERES THAT I HAVE GIVEN ARE MOSTLY GENERAL ANSWERES...I SUPPOSE IF YOU CAN BE SPECIFIC ON YOUR QUERIES I COULD HAVE GIVEN YOU SPECIFICS LIKE THOSE WHO HAVE POSTED THEIR QUERIES...>

taytay rizal

< IT WOULD BE APRECIATED IF A FEEDBACK IS GIVIN ON THIS > :goatee:

Thanks for the feedback Mr Merlin

ei.. nice thread i'm a civil engineer also. from your posts i can tell you're really knowledgeable and already have a vast experience regarding many aspects of being a civil engineer. i just want to ask some personal questions... 1) do you have plans to work abroad? 2) what field of civil engineering do you think is the most in demand today? thanks.. :)

IN RELATION TO THE QUERIES OF BRIX"

1.do you have plans to work abroad?

< YES I DO..WHO WOULDNT...WITH THE TYPE OF PAYBACK FOR THOSE WORKING THERE EITHER YOUR REGISTERED OR NOT IS QUITE SIMILAR...ITS JUST THAT I HAVE CONCERNS HERE AS OF THE MOMENT , THE REASON IM VIRTUALLY STUCK HERE...UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROJECT IN MIND..I WOULDNT MIND JOINING IN... :thumbsupsmiley: >

2. what field of civil engineering do you think is the most in demand today?

< WELL...ALMOST ALL OF CIVIL ENGINEER'S ARE IN DEMAND, ITS JUST THAT THE CHANCE TO WORK LOCALLY IS NOT THAT VERY " ENTHUSIASTIC" LOCALLY.. ( I GUESS YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN RIGHT )

IF YOU WOULD WANT IT EASY YOU CAN APPLY FOR "SUPPORT STAFF" ON ANY CONSTRUCTION PROJECT...FROM SAFETY TO PLANNING DOWN TO DOCUMENT CONTROL IT IS AVAILABLE...BUT SOME OF THIS "SUPPORT" SERVICE NEEDS CREDENTIALS ( LIKE ME...IN SAFETY, PLANNING & QUANTITY SURVEYING ) BUT IF YOU WANT IT THE HARD WAY YOU CAN GO BY ACTUAL DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION & IMPLEMENTATION..>

< BUT BUTTOM LINE HERE IS THAT LOCALLY YOU ACTUALLY GET PAID THE SAME ON EITHER FRONTS ( AND THATS THE REASON SOME OF MY PEERS HAVE OPTED TO TRY THE CC INDUSTRY...AND YEP I DID IT TOO AND IM NOT REPENTANT ABOUT IT...SINCE IT PRACTICALLY BOOST MY OTHER POSSIBLE MANAGEMENT AVENUES ) SO ITS UP TO YOU WHAT YOU'D WANT TO PURSUE...SOME SAY "SPECIALIZATION" IS A GOOD THING BUT I BEG TO DISAGREE..LOCALLY MOST OF US ARE JACK OF ALL TRADES HERE...NO ONE WOULD ADMIT TO THAT BUT THAT IS WHAT IS HAPPENING ON THE GROUND...( YOU APPLIED FOR A SITE ENGINEERING POSITION, INSTEAD OF BEING JUST A SITE ENGINEER /IMPLEMENTOR - YOU END UP DOING PAPER WORKS - WHICH IS FOR DOCU ENGRS, YOU ALSO DO SITE ESTIMATES - WHICH IS SUPPOSE TO BE FOR THOSE UNDER THE STAFF OF A QS, THEN IF THEIR ARE PROBLEMS ON THE WORKSITE LIKE SAFETY, MANPOWER RELATIONS YOU END UP DOING IT TOO - WHICH IS FOR THE SAFETY & PROJECT ADMIN'S WORK REPSECTIVELY ) I DISGREE BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT SPECIALIZED PROFESSIONALS ARE NOT PROTECTED ( IN THE US THEY CALL THIS "UNIONS" ) SO WHEN YOUR AREA IS MADE REDUNDANT...YOU END UP UNEMPLOYED AND HOLDING THE BAG RIGHT.... >

< ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED > :headsetsmiley:

< AND PLEASE REFRAIN FROM USING THE WORDS "knowledgeable" AND THE THE PHRASE "have a vast experience" IM NOT THAT OLD YOU KNOW :goatee: >

Thanks for the reply Nastymerlin. In our case we're fortunate that we've already had a developer present us with a proposal for a joint venture so we probably could just talk to the person who did the development plan and hopefully he wouldn't charge us that much anymore since its data he already has anyway. Another plus for us is across the street is already a subdivision which had been sold out so we could pretty much do a comparative study with it. The subdivision is sold out, yet their road lots aren't even 50% completed yet. What we have going for us is that we are debt free, we have a 200 meter frontage and the residential subdivision market in our city is booming. Would you happen to know a good estimate of road construction cost per square meter as well as what per cent of subdivision development usually goes to road construction. Area is southern Mindanao. Thanks.

IN RELATION TO REDAX' REMARKS

1.In our case we're fortunate that we've already had a developer present us with a proposal for a joint venture so we probably could just talk to the person who did the development plan and hopefully he wouldn't charge us that much anymore since its data he already has anyway.

< WELL WE CAN ALWAYS BE CAREFUL FOR ALL THE TRANSACTIONS AND PAPERS THAT WE HAVE ON THIS...ALWAYS DO CHECK ALL OF THEM...YOU WOULDNT WANT TO BE LEFT ALONE WITH AN EMPTY BAG YOU KNOW...AND WELL KEEP ON HOPING THAT HE WONT CHARGE YOU AS MUCH AS WHAT YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD >

2.Another plus for us is across the street is already a subdivision which had been sold out so we could pretty much do a comparative study with it. The subdivision is sold out, yet their road lots aren't even 50% completed yet.

< AT LEAST THERE ARE VIABLE PROPERTY IN THE AREA ALREADY...BUT DO NOTE THAT IF YOU'RE TRYING TO FOLLOW THE SAME PROBLEMS THAT YOUR ADJOINING AREA DID, I SUGGEST YOU DO BETTER, HAVING INCOMPLETE FACILITIES IS NOT AN INDICATOR OF A SUCCESSFUL VENTURE...MIND YOU ITS LIKE BUYING A BIKE...YOU SUPPOSE TO GET THE COMPLETE PACKAGE..NOT BY INSTALLMENT..TIRE FIRST, THEN RIM, THEN THE SEATS..GO FIGURE, IMAGINE IF THAT HAPPENED TO YOU. >

3.What we have going for us is that we are debt free, we have a 200 meter frontage and the residential subdivision market in our city is booming. Would you happen to know a good estimate of road construction cost per square meter as well as what per cent of subdivision development usually goes to road construction. Area is southern Mindanao.

< IF YOUR TRYING TO TRY GOING DEBT FREE, WELL GOOD LUCK ON THAT ONE, IF REAL ESTATE IS BOOMING I SUPPOSE THERES NOTHING WRONG WITH GOING WITH THE FLOW..ITS JUST THAT DON'T SHORTCHANGE YOUR CLIENTS IN ANY WAY. ALSO THIS IS TO REMIND YOU THAT RECENTLY THE NATIONAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION HAS IN ITS SIGHTS THOSE ERRING DEVELOPERS THAT YOU USE "PRE-SELLING" TECHINIQUES ON THEIR PROPERTY AND LIKE I SAID THE CLIENTS ARE ALWAYS AT THE LOSING END IF THINGS DONT GO RIGHT, SO THE NBI IS BENT ON PURSUING ESTAFA CHARGES TO THIS DEVELOPERS, I SUGGEST YOU HEED THIS WARNING ON THE MATTER. >

< YOU MAY SEE THE RECENT ISSUE OF THE PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER LAST WEEK ON THE MATTER >

< ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED > :sleepysmiley03:

I don't mean their not being finished yet as a bad thing, its just that they sold out their lots because of strong demand. The development across the street is by Robinsons, so its no fly by night developer, and its just the first phase of their development. Its not like they're not fulfilling their obligation, they just completely presold their lots while they are still in the construction phase. In our case, if we do develop on our own, we will start with the back part. Just the front part of our property would be sufficient for those who purchase at preselling to get their money back if we don't comply with our obligation to them. Thanks for the input.

Edited by redax
I don't mean their not being finished yet as a bad thing, its just that they sold out their lots because of strong demand. The development across the street is by Robinsons, so its no fly by night developer, and its just the first phase of their development. Its not like they're not fulfilling their obligation, they just completely presold their lots while they are still in the construction phase. In our case, if we do develop on our own, we will start with the back part. Just the front part of our property would be sufficient for those who purchase at preselling to get their money back if we don't comply with our obligation to them. Thanks for the input.

IN RELATION TO REDAX' UPDATE

AS WHAT YOU HAVE MENTIONED, YOUR ADJACENT PROPERTY WAS ABLE TO SELL THEIR UNITS VIA PRE-SELLING AS WHAT YOU MAY HAVE HEARD, BUT AS FAR AS I KNOW, RLC (ROBINSON LAND CORP. A SUBSIDIARY OF J G SUMMIT HOLDINGS) DOES HAVE THE MONEY TO BURN AND FINANCE THEIR VENTURE, AS WHAT I HAVE MENTIONED EARLIER, THEIR STRONG CAPITAL, SOLID FINANCE MANAGEMENT & REPUTATION NOT TO MENTION A TOP NOTCH MANAGEMENT TEAM WOULD ALMOST ALWAYS ENTICE CLIENTS ( ACTUALLY MORE ON RETURNM CLIENTS ) WOULD DO THE TRICK, I DONT THINK PRE-SELLING IS THEIR MAIN COME-ON IN SELLING THE PROPERTY, AND I DONT THINK ITS MANAGERS WOULD DO SO. IF EVER THERE MAY BE INCOMPLETE FACILITIES, THEIR SOLID REPUTATION AS A FIRM AND DEVELOPER WILL HOLD WATER WHEN IT COMES TO QUESTIONS FROM THEIR CLIENTS

SO IF YOU THINK YOU CAN ACTUALLY MATCH THE RECORD OF WHAT RLC DID TO THE ADJACENT PROPERTY..BY ALL MEANS YOU MAY PROCEED WITH THE VENTURE, BUT IF YOU DON 'T...WELL AS I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO SIDE WITH CAUTION, SINCE YOUR BUYERS MIGHT PERCIEVE THAT YOUR ENTITY & THAT OF RLC IS THE SAME...AND YES THEIR ARE FIRMS WHO DO JUST THAT...ITS CALLED TECHNICAL EXPOSURE - WHERE IN A PROJECT IN A SAME AREA AND ASPECTS IS MADE TO LOOK THE SAME BUT FROM DIFFERENT DEVELOPERS, CLIENTS TEND TO GET THINGS MIXED UP SO WHEN THE ERRING DEVELOPER F*CKS UP THE CLIENTS END UP HOLDING THE BAG...PLEASE DO NOT BE ONE OF THESE SO-CALLED DEVELOPERS, DO NOT RISK A CLEAN SLATE JUST TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW UP ON THE PROFITS AT YOUR CLIENTS EXPENSE.

GIVING BACK THE MONEY...WELL IM NOT KEEN ON GAMBLING SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

THANK YOU...FEEDBACK IS DEEPLY APPRECIATED

Thank you for even entertaining my queries. I believe one of the advantages we have with regards to not having a joint venture is that we can offer our lots at a lower price. The joint venture proposal given us was 60-40 in favor of the developer. Thats a big chunk. I'm thinking if we could go the way some condominium developers in Manila do, where they presell with the proceeds going to the bank and the bank making sure the necessary funds for developing are intact, we might be able to make it fly. They're selling lots at Robinson's for 8k, we can definitely undercut them. We won't be going through this without expert advice and consultations for sure, that's why I'm just trying to find out certain matters as much as I can. Again, appreciate your input.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

GREETINGS TO ALL...

SORRY IF I HAVE BEEN BUSY LATELY, IM CURRENTLY HANDLING SOME BACKROOM SUPPORT FOR A MULTINATIONAL FIRM BASED IN MAKATI AND THE PROJECT IS IN LAGUNA.

ANYWAY I'VE READ LATELY OF A VERY OFF TOPIC YET TIMELY ISSUE, IT WAS PUBLISHED IN THE PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER...

I WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS MY OPINION ON THE MATTER, AND I WILL BE QUOTING EXCERPTS OF THE ARTICLE VERBATIM.

"ARCHITECTONIC DEBATE" PDI - AUG 05, 07

MANILA, Philippines - What's in a title? Who has the right to call himself an architect or to offer his services as one for a fee?

According to the Professional Regulatory Board of Architecture (PRBoA), a person can only assume the title "architect" and use it in the pursuit of his or her livelihood if he or she has passed the state-sanctioned board exam for architects. < TRUE TO SOME EXTENT, BUT THE TITLE IS WHAT ITS SUPPOSE TO BE NOT THE "DESCRIPTION" PER SE >

Under chairman Armando Alli, PRBoA twice called Inquirer's attention for inadvertently identifying Ed Calma and Anton R. Mendoza as architects in two separate stories.

Ed Calma, a 2003 TOYM awardee, is listed as the Design Principal of his father's architectural firm Lor Calma Design & Associates. His CV states that he earned his undergraduate degree in Architecture at the Pratt Institute and his graduate degree in Advanced Architectural Design at Columbia University in New York.

< ED CALMA AS MOST OF US KNOW IS A NOTED DESIGNER, HAVING BEEN ABLE TO BE INVOLVED IN SOME OF THE POSH PROJECTS THAT HAS BEEN SPROUTING ABOUT LATELY >

Although most people, including a number of lifestyle journalists familiar with their works, assume that Calma and Mendoza are licensed and registered architects in the Philippines, it turns out they are not.

< I BEG TO DISAGREE, WE HAVE DESIGNERS HERE IN THE COUNTRY WHO ARE NOT ACTUALLY REGISTERED ARCHITECTS HERE, BUT WERE GIVEN HONORARY MEMBERSHIP BECAUSE OF THE ACHIEVEMENTS THEY HAVE GAINED AS OF LATE >

As such, says Alli, they have no right to be called architects. Nor can they pass themselves off as architects under such a benign job description as "designer."

"It's called solicitation-once you project yourself as an architect or offer yourself as capable of performing the work of an architect," Alli explains. "Such a practice is prohibited under the law."

Apart from giving media practitioners reason to pause and verify their sources' claims, the issue is bigger than it seems since it also concerns would-be Filipino architects studying abroad, as well as foreign architects hired by prominent families and multinational companies to do a number of projects here either as consultants or "architects-of-record."

< AS I HAVE MENTIONED IN MY PAST WRITE-UPS, CONSULTANTS ARE JUST AS THEY ARE..CONSULTANTS, ITS EITHER YOU TAKE THEIR ADVICE OR NOT, THE REAL SCORE WOULD ALWAYS BE IS THAT IF THE SETUP WOULD MEAN ACTUAL DESIGN, WHATS DONE IS THAT A FOREIGN DESIGNER DOES HIS THING, THEN A LOCAL COUNTERPART WOULD ASSES AND SIGN THE PLANS, BUT IT REMAINS AS SOLE PROPERTY OF THE DESIGNER BY VIRTUE OF CONCEPT DESIGN AND OWN CREATIVE SPACE - WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF IS YOUR AND YOURS ALONE..JUST LIKE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.>

How does the board deal with such individuals and situations without appearing biased against, say, Calma, who, apart from having the advantage of working for one of the country's best architectural firms, also studied architecture abroad?

What does it take to be able to legally practice architecture in the Philippines? Won't education in the best schools abroad as well as an impressive body of work suffice, or make up for a person's inability to take the board exam here?

<IN CASE OTHERS DON'T KNOW, THERE ARE EXCEMPTIONS TO THOSE WHO CAN DESIGN HERE EVEN IF THEY'RE NOT FROM AROUND HERE, IT HAS BEEN EVIDENT FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS NOW >

For that matter, what's the scope of a licensed and registered architect's responsibility? How liable is he every time he signs and gives his seal of approval on projects conceptualized or rendered by an unlicensed and unregistered individual?

< IF HE IS TO SIGN, HE HAS TO CHECK IF IT COMPLIES WITH LOCAL BUILDING / ZONING LAWS...THATS THE REASON YOUR PAYING HIM FOR...IT DOES NOT MATER IF WHOEVER THE DESIGNER IS, BUTTOM LINE IS THAT IT COMPLIES WITH CODE REQUIREMENTS ITS OK...A CLEAR EXAMPLE IS THOSE UPSCALE HOUSING, THEY HAVE A POOL OF CAD OPERATORS & "DESIGNERS" AND YET THERE NOT THE ONE WHO SIGNS..ITS THE PRINCIPAL ARCHITECT. MOST WOULD NOT ADMIT TO THIS BUT IT DOES HAPPEN MOST OF THE TIME >

Even if they hire an architect to go over and approve their plans, are homeowners guilty of malpractice and solicitation when they implement home-improvement projects based on their own designs?

< LIKE I SAID BY VIRTUE OF CREATIVE RIGHT...WHY WOULD A HOMEOWNER BE SUED IN THE FIRST PLACE IF HE WANTS SOMETHING THAT HE PRACTICALLY OWNS...ITS JUST IKE TELLING A PERSON WHAT TO EAT AND NOT TO EAT >

If Alli is to be believed, PRBoA isn't any stricter or less reasonable than its counterparts tasked to oversee other professions. Nor is it, he says, zeroing in on certain individuals because of pressure from members of the United Architects of the Philippines (UAP), a private organization composed of practicing architects.

< NOW THIS ONE IS WHAT I CALL A BUNCH OF HORSESH*T..OF COURSE THERE IS PRESSURE FROM THIS ORG. IF ITS SUPPOSE TO BE PRIVATE WHY IS IT PULLING GOVERNMENTS LEG ON THIS...AS THEY SAY " ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES" >

"We're not mandated to protect and promote the livelihood of architects," says Alli, who, like Marietta Segovia and Angeline Chua Chiaco, two of his colleagues on the board, is a practicing architect. "That's the job of the private sector. We're basically here to see and ensure that the law is followed.

Proper practice

PRBoA is one of 44 boards under the Professional Regulation Commission. On top of its administrative functions such as giving exams and issuing licenses, the board is tasked to regulate and oversee the proper practice of architecture among its licensed and registered members nationwide.

Calma, allegedly upon his lawyer's instructions, declined to comment on what he described as a "poorly conceived" law. He said, via a series of text messages, that he didn't want to give certain UAP members an opportunity to get "elected" at his expense.

< BY READING THRU THIS FEW LINES..YOU CAN SENSE PROFESSIONAL JEALOUSY HERE...MAYBE ITS ONE OF THE COMPETITION..LOOKS LIKE IT TO ME >

"I don't want to give them a media platform to rant about their malicious interpretation of the law," Calma wrote. "I would rather clear my case in court."

In a phone call he made several months ago to this reporter, Calma attributed the board's renewed zeal to stop creative individuals like himself from earning a living to sheer "crab mentality" among certain UAP members.

< THIS ONE HITS THE NAIL ON THE HEAD...IT IS TRUE AND IT HITS THE SPOT >

When projects are hard to come by, and when even civil engineers dabble in architecture (again one of many illegal acts PRBoA is currently addressing), can you blame legitimate architects from complaining?

< READ MY PAST WRITE UP ON THE RESTRAINING ORDER GIVEN BY THE COURT ON THIS...SINCE THE LAW IS CLEAR THAT IT COULD EITHER BE ARCHI OR CIVIL...THEY JUST WANT TO REALLY HAVE IT ALL >

But it's also easy to suspect jealousy because Calma does get the choicest projects, including of late the houses Josephine del Gallego Knox in Rockwell and in Punta Fuego and Wyn Wyn Ong in Makati. He also designed the recently inaugurated De La Salle-College of St. Benilde School of Design and Arts in Manila. These happen to be high-profile works that have generated tremendous media exposure.

< SEE I TOLD YOU ITS THE JEALOUSY THING...MGA PINOY TALAGA..HIRAP NA NGA ANG CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY NAGPAPATAASAN PA KAYO NG IHI >Calma's clients, with the exception of Knox, declined to give any official statement on the issue.

"Ed respected and understood my vision and improved on it," Knox said via e-mail. "He's a dream architect for a client with my strengths and weaknesses."

Having lived in another country for so long, Knox said she was unaware that there was a law requiring architects to be licensed and registered. To her credit, upon learning of it, Knox was quick to acknowledge that "no one is above the law."

"Ed was practicing within the guidelines of the law," she insisted. "If he wants to officially be the architect-of-record and sign all the documents, then he will have to take the exams and pass with flying colors."

< IF YOU READ CLEARLY...CALMA DID NOT SIGN AS ARCHITECT ON RECORD OR WHAT WE CALL "DID NOT AFFIX HIS SEAL" SINCE HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO BY LAW BUT HE HIRED SOMEONE FOR IT..WHICH IS.. WELL A PRACTICE HERE AND ITS NOT ILLEGAL MIND YOU >Again via text message, Calma pointed to foreign architects designing big projects here with local and established designers signing for them. "So, I'm no different from them since my dad is the one signing and I work under him and the company he [has] built for almost 45 years," he wrote.

< SEE...I TOLD YOU SO...IT HAPPENS...MOST OF THE TIME >

On the other hand, despite being regularly described by society columnist and good friend Maurice Arcache as a "super architect," Mendoza denied, also via a text message, having misrepresented himself.

Mendoza's clients include such A-listers as Sen. Loren Legarda, Manny V. Pangilinan, Irene Martel Francisco, Fred Uytengsu and Joey Concepcion

Legarda had this to say: "I hired ARM architects with Mike Soriquez as architect and Anton (Mendoza) as interior designer. Anton is a gifted artist and a very professional worker. We have been high-school friends."

The law

Alli denies having any particular bias against media-savvy individuals like Calma and Mendoza. "I've never even met Calma," he says. "What we're trying to ensure is that people uphold the law."

The law in question is Republic Act 9266 or the Architecture Act of 2004, which Alli and colleagues helped draft.

RA 9266, which passed through two Congresses, took effect three years ago, after it was signed by President Macapagal-Arroyo. It has been described by its authors as a "more responsive and comprehensive" act compared to RA 545, the law it replaced.

In essence, the act stipulates that only individuals who passed the architecture board exam given by the PRC, and have secured the necessary licenses and registrations, have the right to call themselves architects and engage in the practice of the profession.

The law doesn't recognize or is silent on the status of individuals who studied and took similar licensure exams abroad, Alli says. Nor does it endorse a designer's works, no matter how outstanding, as a way of compensating for him not to take the board.

< AS IT STATES, THE LAW IS SILENT ON IT, SO IT STILL REMAINS AS A GREY AREA ON THAT >

Alli adds that it's unlawful for non-architects to practice as architects under such titles as "designer" or "space planner."

< BUT IF YOUR GOING TO BE LEGALISTIC ABOUT IT, "ARCHITECT" IS THE ONLY THING THAT THEY CAN HOLD TOO, AND NOT ON THE OTHER TITLES, UNLESS YOU WANT TO AMEND THE LAW AND HAVE THOSE OTHER TITLES INCLUDED >

But a practicing architect, who requested not to be identified, thought differently: "I don't know of a law that prohibits people being described as designers especially if they are merely mentioned in publications."

< POINT TAKEN AND THIS ANONYMOUS ARCHITECT IS CORRECT...I MEAN I CAN CALL MYSELF A DESIGNER EVEN IF IM JUST MAKING THOSE MODEL DIORAMA HOUSES..AND YOUR GOING TO SUE ME BECAUSE OF THE WORD " DESIGNER " I MEAN C'MON ISNT THIS TOO MUCH TO THE POINT ITS EXAGERRATED>Calma may have a number of sympathizers even among his peers, but not a few of them want to see him face the music. After all, it was the UAP that brought the matter of his and Mendoza's alleged misrepresentation to the board's attention.

< SEE..AND WHY DOES THIS ENTITY ALWAYS HAVE THE GOVERNMENT ON ITS HEEL? >

The list, says Alli, also involves 20 or so other prominent designers "who are regularly featured in newspapers," including Joey Yupangco, Camilo Vasquez and hairdresser-turned-furniture designer Budji Layug.

Of course, one can claim to be the "architect" of an ingenious plan, system or device without breaking the law, but the problem begins once one does the actual work of a licensed and registered architect.

< CASE IN POINT IS THAT'S THE REASON YOU HIRE A REGISTERED ARCHITECT..SO THAT HE WILL AFFIX HIS SEAL AND APROVE YOUR PLAN..OF COURSE HE HAS TO REALLY CHECK IT..BUT THAT HOW ITS DONE ANYWHERE YOU KNOW >

Private individuals who design their own homes and have their plans executed and signed later by an architect have nothing to fear (apart from the soundness of their ideas), says Alli. But once these individuals start designing for others for a fee, then they better watch out since they're already in clear violation of the law.

< AGAIN...A DOUBLE STANDARD HAS BEEN MADE, IF WE WERE TO APPLY THE LAW WE MIGHT AS WELL APPLY IT ALL...THE LAW APPLIES TO ALL OR NONE AT ALL...WHATS GOOD FOR THE GOOSE IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER...ITS PRACTICALLY THE SAME. OF COURSE I'LL ACCEPT THE FEE, YOU USED MY ARTISTIC TALENT, ISNT IT UNFAIR THAT I DONT GET PAID FOR MY OWN TALENT...THERES NOT MUCH WE CAN DO IF THE LOCAL ARCHITECT IS BAD IN CONCEPT DESIGN, BUT IT DOESNT MEAN WE HAVE TO BE A PUSH OVER JUST BECAUSE HE IS THE "REGISTERED" I MEAN C'MON GIVE US A BREAK...ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE PROFESSIONAL JEALOUSY >

According to Alli, those who did not take the board exams like Calma and Mendoza are technically beyond the board's jurisdiction. But the board can apply the squeeze on architects who have signed and affixed their seals on their behalf.

Aiding and abetting

"These architects are guilty of violating the law by aiding and abetting a non-practitioner. By this mere act, they stand to lose their licenses," Alli warns.

< NOW THIS I GOT TO SEE...WHAT CHARGES ARE YOU GOING TO CHARGE THEM WITH? >

For their part, unlicensed and unregistered "architects" are also engaging in criminal acts, says Alli. The board's hands may be tied in acting directly against them, but it can endorse their prosecution to the Department of Justice.

< AGAIN POLITICS REARS ITS UGLY HEAD...A MERE INTRIGUE CAN DO THAT MIND YOU >

"The complainant need not be an architect," says Alli. "He or she can be anybody. If the evidence against the [illegal practitioners] is strong, we can take the case to the DOJ."

< SEE I TOLD YOU SO... >

It is also not a mere question of whether or not a building is structurally sound. Since it takes a team, including an army of civil and structural engineers, to build one, structures designed by an illegal practitioner have a fairly good chance of standing the test of time.

"The building may appear like it was designed by a professional since professionals actually assumed the liability and responsibility for him," says Alli. "But we go back to the issue of the person (illegal practitioner) projecting himself as the author of a certain work. Based on the law, he may not openly claim that it's his work."

< AGAIN...JEALOUSY AND "CRAB MENTALITY" IS AT IT AGAIN...THEY JUST DON'T WANT YOU TO EARN FORM YOUR OWN ARTISTIC TALENT...WHAT THEY WANT IS TO INSIST ON WHAT THEY WANT >

What about foreign architects-including former Filipino citizens-working either as consultants or principals behind certain projects here?

Foreigners will have to secure permits from the PRC, the Department of Labor and the Department of Foreign Affairs to practice in the Philippines for a limited period of time only. But before they're given such permits, there has to be some form of "reciprocity" between the Philippines and the countries they come from.

< RECIPROCITY? ARE YOU SERIOUS? I MEAN SERIOUSLY I DONT THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN...OF SOME OF THE PROJECTS I WAS LUCKY TO BE IN, MOST OF THE FIRMS HAVE THEIR DESIGN MADE ABROAD AND EXECUTED HERE BY THEIR LOCAL COUNTERPARTS SIGNED AND SEALED...IF THEY THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BE VERY COMPETATIVE. >

"Filipino architects should be accorded the same treatment if they go to these countries to lend their expertise there," said Alli. "An accreditation system is now in place among most countries that comprise the Asean and Apec."

< LIKE I SAID THAT WONT HAPPEN PERIOD >

Filipinos who passed the board here before becoming citizens of other countries can again practice in the Philippines upon their return after securing a special permit. Their licenses and registrations, says Alli, are still recognized despite the change in their citizenships.

Meanwhile, Filipinos may choose to study architecture abroad but if they plan to practice here, they should be aware of the differences in the way the discipline is taught here compared to, say, in the US.

While American architectural schools are more focused on concepts and practical ways to program spaces and erect buildings, says Alli, their counterparts in the Philippines lean more toward theories, mathematical computations and a fair share of structural engineering.

< NOW AS A CIVIL ENGR., I AGREE THAT AMERICANS ARE REALLY MASTERS PROGRAM SPACES AND AESTHETICS, BUT FOR THE LOCAL ARCHITECTS TO CLAIM THAT THEY HAVE MATHEMATICAL THEORIES, COMPUTATION & STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING...NOW I DONT THINK THATS TRUE, BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT ARCHITECTURE HERE IS ALMOST PATTERNED TO THE US, AND WE ALL KNOW THAT IN ARCHI HERE ...MATHEMATICS SUBJECTS ARE JUST A MINOR..MORE EMPHASIS ON CONCEPTS...SO I GUESS THEIR JUST TRYING TO STRETCH THE LIMIT..AND CLAIM WHAT THEY DONT REALLY KNOW >

At first blush, the American approach may seem the wiser, more practical one, but if US-educated Filipinos plan to practice architecture here, they should retool their training and do a thorough review if they are to successfully hurdle the rather difficult board exams.

Apart from the different sets of standards prevailing in the two countries, buildings in the tropics are designed and constructed differently from those built in temperate countries.

< ACTUALLY OUR STANDARDS HERE WERE COPIED FROM THEIRS..WE JUST DIDNT ADOPTED THEIR CLIMATE FACTORS AND ADJUSTED OURS >

The mortality rate for those taking the architectural board exams, notes Alli, is one of the highest, ranging from 49 to 68 percent over the last five years. "Over the past 57 years, only an average of 400 examinees have passed the board."

Alli refrains from speculating, but this reality may be giving Filipinos who studied architecture abroad second thoughts about taking the board here. In a society that still places a premium on reputation, it's no joke for a celebrated designer to lose face for failing to pass a standardized, government-issued test.

< ANY COMMENTS ARE DEEPLY APPRECIATED >

I bought a condo unit in Cubao... I thought ready to move in na once na approve loan mo. YUn pala, rough ang finishing... Where can I find murang architect/interior decorator para magawa na unit ko? Please help me.... thanks

Hi, Robert here here. You might want to avail our services. Thanks

Hi, Robert here. Just recently finished a two storey house last June. Problem is there are so many cracks on the plaster cement (palitada). How could we prevent them for my next project? Also, what is the best system for waterproofing the roof top (concrete slab)? I'm not an engineer nor an architect, it is just that I ventured in this project. So please be patient in explaining. Thank you very much!

<IN RELATION TO ROBERT888 QUERIES>

OFF TOPIC...

I FIND IT ODD YOUR ASKING ME A SPECIFIC METHODOLOGY ON A SPECIFIC PROCEDURE...AND YET YOUR OFFERING YOUR SERVICES ON THE BOARD? SO WHATS THE REAL DEAL ANYWAY?

1.Problem is there are so many cracks on the plaster cement (palitada). How could we prevent them for my next project?

< CRACKS COULD MEAN THE PLASTER ITSELF WAS BADLY MADE OR THE APPLICATOR IS NOT REALLY WHAT HE CLAIMS TO BE...HIRE A MASON ( A REAL ONE AT THAT) THAT IS ALSO A FINISHER. USUALY WHATS DONE IS THAT THE PLASTER IS ADDED WITH LIGHT CEMENT AFTER APPLICATION ( ACTUALLY THEY SPREAD IT OR AS THEY SAY "SINASABUYAN NG SEMENTO PAGKAPAHID"

2.what is the best system for waterproofing the roof top (concrete slab)?

< I THINK IVE ANSWERED THIS TYPE OF QUERY...READ MY EARLIER POSTS..BUT THEN YOU CAN APPLY WATERPROOFING ON THE PLASTER ( ACTUALLY YOU MIX IT THERE ) LOCALLY KNOWN BRAND IS "SAHARA" THEN AFTER THE STRUCTURE IS BUILT YOU CAN APPLY ELASTOMERIC PAINT ( SIMILAR TO THOSE "RUBBERIZED" FLOORINGS..BUT THIS ONE IS FOR WATERPROOFING ) TAKE NOTE THAT THE TYPE YOU HAVE TO USE IS FOR MASONRY APPLICATION LIKE WEATHERKOTE ETC. ..HENCE IT HAS ITS FINISH MADE...TAKE NOTE THAT IT HAS TO BE AT LEAST 2 COATS TO MAKE IT EFFECTIVE...DO NOT DILUTE IT >

SORRY IF MY POSTS HAVE BEEN ERRATIC, ITS JUST THAT I HEV BEEN QUITE BUSY LATELY BEING PART OF A MANAGEMENT TEAM THAT SPECIALIZE IN CLEANROOM DESIGN.

JUST KEEP EM POSTING... :thumbsupsmiley:

• 4 weeks later...

hey. nice answer im an ofw , and im wondering what is ur opinion regarding known real estate company> u see na eenganyo ako bumili ng house and lot na promote nila like this company na 2 million pesos for a house and lot for about 90 sq meter? is it worth buying? it seems di naman ako magaling sa mga ganito? maayus ba ang paggawa nyan? sorry pero im just starting a family and i hope u help me and advice me kung anu ba ang proper way? thank you.. :goatee: