Toughest, Most Physically Demanding Sport?

If you add up physical and mental stress, plus the duration of these demands during any competitive session, I believe very few sports can equal F1 racing. Drivers have been measured at sustaining heart rates of over 200 bpm, equal to cross country skiers at peak workload. They have to fight g-forces reaching up to 5Gs on tight corners. The demands on eyesight are tremendous, because they have to keep switching from long-views to short-views and vice versa in split secods. They lose up to 3.5 kgs of water in a race, perhaps more so in a hot and humid track (e.g., Sepang). And there is the demand on the brain to keep constantly alert through the duration of the race. All these in non-stop action for 90 minutes, where your only rest is a total 15 to 20 seconds from the required two pitstops, and any physical or mental lapse can be fatal.

If you add up physical and mental stress, plus the duration of these demands during any competitive session, I believe very few sports can equal F1 racing. Drivers have been measured at sustaining heart rates of over 200 bpm, equal to cross country skiers at peak workload. They have to fight g-forces reaching up to 5Gs on tight corners. The demands on eyesight are tremendous, because they have to keep switching from long-views to short-views and vice versa in split secods. They lose up to 3.5 kgs of water in a race, perhaps more so in a hot and humid track (e.g., Sepang). And there is the demand on the brain to keep constantly alert through the duration of the race. All these in non-stop action for 90 minutes, where your only rest is a total 15 to 20 seconds from the required two pitstops, and any physical or mental lapse can be fatal.

Yup. F1 has to be right there at or near the top. Michael Schumacher was considered the old man of F1, yet he was winning...because he was both physically and mentally fit for it. But at least he had those pitstop moments, which you don't have in Motocross.

Beer Drinking competition?

hehehe....

But seriously, I would have to go with basketball... others may laugh but if you are REALLY love and understand the sport, you would understand the physical and mental abuse the players take.

Aside from the everyday practice... the warm ups... the suicide runs and the mind blowing 201 ree throws ... others may think that this is a relatively "easy and safe" sport. Until you hear about the "Samboy Lims" and the "Allan Caidics" of the sport. Nothing can prepare you from what's going to happen after you go air born.... I don't care if you are as big as Shaq or as frail as the snotty kid in your high school. Fact is, once you are up there...only one rule will take over....gravity. Once gravity hits, there are no rings...no gloves... no helmets... no metal doors ...no body armor that will separate your face from the pavement.

And oh yeah...who was that PBA player that recently had an SCI?

Edited by FALLEN_KINDRED_SOUL
Beer Drinking competition?

hehehe....

But seriously, I would have to go with basketball... others may laugh but if you are REALLY love and understand the sport, you would understand the physical and mental abuse the players take.

Aside from the everyday practice... the warm ups... the suicide runs and the mind blowing 201 ree throws ... others may think that this is a relatively "easy and safe" sport. Until you hear about the "Samboy Lims" and the "Allan Caidics" of the sport. Nothing can prepare you from what's going to happen after you go air born.... I don't care if you are as big as Shaq or as frail as the snotty kid in your high school. Fact is, once you are up there...only one rule will take over....gravity. Once gravity hits, there are no rings...no gloves... no helmets... no metal doors ...no body armor that will separate your face from the pavement.

And oh yeah...who was that PBA player that recently had an SCI?

but NFL and Rugby is a little bit more dangerous.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
although it is physically demanding also, pro-wrestling is not a sport

same goes for bodybuilding.

I have to disagree with you here sir, bodybuilding is a sport, it requires discipline not only in training, but also in keeping to the strict diet, workout patterns, and you have yo have extreme endurance. I know a lot of people think that bodybuilders just inject 'roids and then they lift a little, and then that's it, they get big, but this is very far from the truth. It's a sport that requires dedication and sacrifice.

My choice for most physically demanding sport? Triathlon.

Edited by Tom-Tado

f1 - the driver is subjected to as much as 5g in some circuits....it's like riding a roller coaster for 1.5 hrs... and that's just the race itself....meron pang testing, free practice and qualifying...

ice hockey - ice skating alone is exhausting...dagdagan mo pa ng hockey skills ....if you notice halos every 3 minutes nagpapalit ng line sa hockey......may mga legal pang banggaan ng katawan yan at minsan may boxing pa....sabi nga nila pag may nag aaway na players, hindi na inaawat kasi hinihintay na lang magkapaguran...