• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have already tried cooking adobo with kamatis. really good.

and the chinese style adobo. absolutely delish.

and of course, the dry adobo, thats my favorite. i cook it then keep it in a garapon with all the fat. let it cool and stand until its all coagulated lard already.. then when i eat it, i scoop a few spoonfuls into a skillet and fry it. HEAVEN.

**try using pinakurat instead of your usual vinegar when making adobo. the spice really picks it up a notch. kung walang pinakurat, try using sukang paombong, or sukang iloko or sinamak.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Maggisa ng bawang, tapos ilagay yung babaoy (i prefer the kasim part, at yung maraming taba)

2. Ilagay ang suka, kaunting tubig, paminta, laurel, HUWAG HAHALUIN!! hintaying mawala yung maasim na amoy ng suka

3. Habang naghihintay maghalo ng kaunting asukal sa toyo (mas maunti ng bahagya kaysa sa suka)

4. Kapag nawala na yung maasim na amoy ihalo ang toyo

5. Kapag nareduce na yung sabaw, salain ang karne saka iprito sa kaunting mantika, hanggang sa pumula

6. Ibalik ang sabaw sa i-reduce pa ng kaunti at lagyan ng sili

:thumbsupsmiley:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im not sure if it came from Mom or Dad but I somehow copied their chicken adobo style and made my own. My adobe does not use plain toyo nor vinegar nor oil (since I do not sautee). I use oyster sauce, knorr or maggi seasoning, salt, garlic, peppercorns, bayleaf, and a secret ingredient you add minutes before turning flame off. Damn my mouth is watering right now.

• 1 month later...

Recently, I saw this show sa cable about food sa Discovery. The name of the host is Bobby Chin and he's visiting Manila. Chef Gene Gonzalez was cooking our beloved Adobo while the host helps out. Ibang klase yung recipe niya, the ususal ingredients pero may patis and tanglad (lemongrass). Mukhang ok naman but I have not tried it though.

Just recently rin, sa show ng "Tara Let's Eat". Halos lahat ng Adobo recipe sa Pilipinas pinakita! Tulo laway ko nun.

Medyo off topic lang, while Chef Gene and Bobby Chin was cooking, they were being cheered by his students, one of them was the actress Janice De Belen! :)

adobo is a personal taste for us pinoys, mom as far as I can remember was not fond of adobo, It was my dad who cooked mean adobo, be it beef, chicken or pork or meats like carabeef, or a mixture. I do cook like my dad. Just the soy sauce, bay leaf, vinegar, garlic simple mix, but it was in the choice of meats that made the difference.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

My mom had two recipes for adobo. One recipe was saucy while the other one drier because of sauce reduction. The saucy recipe was always paired with kare-kare. The recipe was always a mixed of chicken and pork. It was always garlicky with whole black peppercorn with just a hint of bay leaf. The key to the recipe was the ratio of the vinegar to the soy sauce. She used coco vinegar and Lauriat soy sauce only. She would use salt instead of the soy sauce for the saltness flavor. I asked her why was this and she told me that her lola and Nana only used "asin at hindi toyo ang pampaalat and soy sauce was just added to the adobo recipe during the Japanese time". She also said that adobo was one way of preserving the meat longer even without refrigeration. I guess they had no refrigerator during their time. The soy sauce was primarily used for the coloring and flavor twist than for salty seasoning. The dry type recipe always had slivers of chicken liver and gizzards or pork liver was also sometimes used. By the way, she would always cook this in a very heavy cast iron casserole (Dutch Oven) she inhereted from her mom and nothing else. The adobo stayed in that casserole until it was all consumed. It would also be reheated in the same casserole and since we were a small family this would last for 3 or 4 days. For me the best part would be when I would deglazed the bottom of the casserole when the adobo had been totally consumed. I would put a little oil to deglaze the bottom and put my rice in it. It would be the best adobo rice you could get.

Edited by maninmotion
  • Like (+1) 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My mom had two recipes for adobo. One recipe was saucy while the other one drier because of sauce reduction. The saucy recipe was always paired with kare-kare. The recipe was always a mixed of chicken and pork. It was always garlicky with whole black peppercorn with just a hint of bay leaf. The key to the recipe was the ratio of the vinegar to the soy sauce. She used coco vinegar and Lauriat soy sauce only. She would use salt instead of the soy sauce for the saltness flavor. I asked her why was this and she told me that her lola and Nana only used "asin at hindi toyo ang pampaalat and soy sauce was just added to the adobo recipe during the Japanese time". She also said that adobo was one way of preserving the meat longer even without refrigeration. I guess they had no refrigerator during their time. The soy sauce was primarily used for the coloring and flavor twist than for salty seasoning. The dry type recipe always had slivers of chicken liver and gizzards or pork liver was also sometimes used. By the way, she would always cook this in a very heavy cast iron casserole (Dutch Oven) she inhereted from her mom and nothing else. The adobo stayed in that casserole until it was all consumed. It would also be reheated in the same casserole and since we were a small family this would last for 3 or 4 days. For me the best part would be when I would deglazed the bottom of the casserole when the adobo had been totally consumed. I would put a little oil to deglaze the bottom and put my rice in it. It would be the best adobo rice you could get.

Food historians agree that the original adobo did not use soy sauce as it was introduced only by the Chinese later through merchant trade. So tisoy malamang yung adobo ng ninuno natin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...