The Best Spanish Foods/Restaurant

by the truckload?

you mean like a truckload of illegal Mexican immigrants :P

well, Mexican is not that bad - I enjoy it myself, especially with the Taqueria Chilanga here.

If you remember that book I told you about last year - the one whose author is a Houston resident and food writer of your daily there - he writes about cool Mexican restaurants there. If you promise to send me a cabrito here, I shall give you the list - complete with descriptions and their locations :P

pareng masi - sorry for this real outrageous OT post pero wala talaga akong alam pa sa Spanish eh :P

no prob, bods...i, too, enjoy eating mexican dishes. it's of the list of things to do when i visit the u.s...

I would have to take you up on your offer that we try the jamon jabugo as described by the owner... (just before my annual medical exams! :P )

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Spanish restaurant I've tried is Dulcinea - is this authentic? The callos and tuhod y batoc are good. I'm curious how much better the more expensive Spanish restos are.

Strictly speaking, I am not sure if Dulcinea qualifies as a Spanish restaurant (I'd leave it to other more knowledgeable people here to judge) although they serve Spanish colonial cuisine using traditional recipes . For example, their tuhod y batoc is just like the way my grandma used to make em. Their spaghetti ala lasagna is a new creation though. . .

The pastries are also very traditional. Moritos is something I've tried even during one of my visits to Madrid although the ones I've tried in Spain obviously have more brandy. Eating churros is probably more of Mexican (thanks to the galleon trade) rather than Spanish influence?

I've bought chorizos at Dulcinea quite a number of times too. They're better than the canned variety. . .

The pastries are also very traditional.  Moritos is something I've tried even during one of my visits to Madrid although the ones I've tried in Spain obviously have more brandy.  Eating churros is probably more of Mexican (thanks to the galleon trade) rather than Spanish influence?

I've bought chorizos at Dulcinea quite a number of times too.  They're better than the canned variety. . .

this is something new! never thought that churros was a mexican influence. well i would like to think, rather guess, that the cocoa was drank by the spandiards after they established trade with central and south america.. put it together chocolate con churros is likely a central/south american snack...

thanks for the inputs....

I am a true-blue amateur!

I think pareng masi will agree that this is no reason to worry. We are all just student here. Learning from each other's experiences . . .

sure! from the way our host described the jabugo makes me want to savor it..

I find that the jamon serrano is the more popular Spanish ham. But even in Spain, the jabugo is acknowledged to be the better ham which explains why it is also at least 20% more expensive. For my tastes, it is also less "ma-anta" (don't know what that word is in English).

by the truckload?

you mean like a truckload of illegal Mexican immigrants :P

well, Mexican is not that bad - I enjoy it myself, especially with the Taqueria Chilanga here.

If you remember that book I told you about last year - the one whose author is a Houston resident and food writer of your daily there - he writes about cool Mexican restaurants there. If you promise to send me a cabrito here, I shall give you the list - complete with descriptions and their locations :P

pareng masi - sorry for this real outrageous OT post pero wala talaga akong alam pa sa Spanish eh :P

hahahaha exactly bods... like a truckload of illegals ... ;) bad tayo ...

hmm i might NOT need to send a cabrito... i MIGHT get to collect on evrything you owe me pretty soon ;)

nga pala i had cuban food last nyt - in a place called cafe piquet. granted, it was in the scary, seedy part of town but the food was just great...

i had the tenderest of tender bisteccas... with fluffy white rice and black beans, the best cubano sandwich -- sort of a lechon with ham sandwich and swiss cheese and the softest, eggiest, yummiest bread pudding i have had since .... i dont remember when. tapos they made the best plantain chips - thinly sliced, deep fried and with this yummy garlic sauce...

im goin back this wkend to try their arroz ala cubana ...

their food is quite similar to spanish food... but not quite the same. i hope it is ok to post this experience here.

I think pareng masi will agree that this is no reason to worry.  We are all just student here.  Learning from each other's experiences . . .

I find that the jamon serrano is the more popular Spanish ham.  But even in Spain, the jabugo is acknowledged to be the better ham which explains why it is also at least 20% more expensive.  For my tastes, it is also less "ma-anta" (don't know what that word is in English).

i have tried both, courtesy of a filipino cousin who teaches english in madrid... and yes, the jabugo is so good. just the right amount of salt, very tender yet ... with this feisty bite to it.

and btw... ma anta in english is rancid :D this is the inverse of the other thread we post in...

Edited by Wyld

hmm i might NOT need to send a cabrito... i MIGHT get to collect on evrything you owe me pretty soon ;)

nga pala i had cuban food last nyt - in a place called cafe piquet. granted, it was in the scary, seedy part of town but the food was just great...

i had the tenderest of tender bisteccas... with fluffy white rice and black beans, the best cubano sandwich -- sort of a lechon with ham sandwich and swiss cheese and  the softest, eggiest, yummiest bread pudding i have had since .... i dont remember when.

their food is quite similar to spanish food... but not quite the same.

i have tried both, courtesy of a filipino cousin who teaches english in madrid... and yes, the jabugo is so good. just the right amount of salt, very tender yet ... with this feisty bite to it.

and btw... ma anta in english is rancid :D

thanks wyld for your inputs...

bods, it seems like the jabugo will test the levels of cholesterol in our bloodstream....oh what the heck, i am due for my annual medical next month.

no prob, bods...i, too, enjoy eating mexican dishes.  it's of the list of things to do when i visit the u.s...

I would have to take you up on your offer that we try the jamon jabugo as described by the owner...  (just before my annual medical exams! :P )

well according to my latest blood chem, my LDL is high - but what the heck! We'll neutralize it by jugfuls of reds hehehe....

it's a wonder that Mexico, despite being colonized for several hundred years by Spain, was able to retain its cuisine identity.

I think pareng masi will agree that this is no reason to worry.  We are all just student here.  Learning from each other's experiences . . .

I find that the jamon serrano is the more popular Spanish ham.  But even in Spain, the jabugo is acknowledged to be the better ham which explains why it is also at least 20% more expensive.  For my tastes, it is also less "ma-anta" (don't know what that word is in English).

thanks, pare!

hey, visit the wine thread as we are cooking up something for next week - we'd like to have you there.

I read somewhere that jamon serrano does not really originate from Serrano (or is there such a place in Spain?).

i had the tenderest of tender bisteccas... with fluffy white rice and black beans, the best cubano sandwich -- sort of a lechon with ham sandwich and swiss cheese and  the softest, eggiest, yummiest bread pudding i have had since .... i dont remember when. tapos they made the best plantain chips - thinly sliced, deep fried and with this yummy garlic sauce...

im goin back this wkend to try their arroz ala cubana ...

their food is quite similar to spanish food... but not quite the same. i hope it is ok to post this experience here.

and btw... ma anta in english is rancid :D this is the inverse of the other thread we post in...

everything I owe you? pano ko nagkautang sa iyo :blink: :lol:

what's pretty soon? As in what hehehe........

that Cuban place - is that in Houston?

thanks wyld for your inputs...

bods,  it seems like the jabugo will test the levels of cholesterol in our bloodstream....oh what the heck, i am due for my annual medical next month.

para tuloy nakakatakot kumain nung jabugo na yun ah hehehe....

my blood chem is also due for a re-exam in about 4 weeks :blink:

pare what we do, we try to stick to a cholesterol-free diet startin tomorrow to give ourselves a fighting chance on Thursday :lol:

everything I owe you? pano ko nagkautang sa iyo :blink:  :lol:

what's pretty soon? As in what hehehe........

that Cuban place - is that in Houston?

ilista ko? un lahat ng pramis mo sa kin from wayyyy back? :lol:

hehehe. pretty soon as in ... pretty soon nga :D

the cuban place is IN houston. there are two actually, cafe miami is the other one... but the location of cafe miami is a bit scarier than that of cafe piquet...

:lol:

ilista ko? un lahat ng pramis mo sa kin from wayyyy back? :lol:

hehehe. pretty soon as in ... pretty soon nga :D

the cuban place is IN houston. there are two actually, cafe miami is the other one... but the location of cafe miami is a bit scarier than that of cafe piquet...

:lol:

parang I have an idea na - pero ilista mo na din....

alam mo naman makalilimutin na ang uncle mo eh :P

ok I'll see if Rob Walsh mentions that Cafe Piquet...

parang I have an idea na - pero ilista mo na din....

alam mo naman makalilimutin na ang uncle mo eh :P

ok I'll see if Rob Walsh mentions that Cafe Piquet...

heheh.... malilimutin ka nga. kaya pwede ko i PAD ang listahan natin! :lol:

try to check namnan w/ Rob Walsh if he mentions a spanish or even a paella place here?

sa food network kahapon tyler cooked paella eh... parang nag crave ako bigla but i dont want to cook :D

heheh.... malilimutin ka nga. kaya pwede ko i PAD ang listahan natin! :lol:

try to check namnan w/ Rob Walsh if he mentions a spanish or even a paella place here?

sa food network kahapon tyler cooked paella eh... parang nag crave ako bigla but i dont want to cook :D

no way!

the only thing you will PAD is some part of the anatomy :P

kaya nga, I'm checking na - but the book is not with me. He mentions a lot of chicken places there, also BBQ digs, etc...teka OT na ah :P

speaking of paella, I think we'll be splurging on paella again, right masi?

no way!

the only thing you will PAD is some part of the anatomy :P

kaya nga, I'm checking na - but the book is not with me. He mentions a lot of chicken places there, also BBQ digs, etc...teka OT na ah :P

speaking of paella, I think we'll be splurging on paella again, right masi?

paella is good anytime with me bods... as long as we wash it down with a pinot or a chiraz or a taste of the old world.

ň in Rockwell! Love the "tutong" of their paellas plus of course their tapas. :)  Ambiance is lovely too.

you're right on the money here!!!! the "tutong" part and literally scrapping the bottom of paellera adds to the gusto of this dish!!!

the paella at la tienda and patio guernico are notorious for its tutong...

i just had breakfast and i'm craving for paella...

thanks, pare!

hey, visit the wine thread as we are cooking up something for next week - we'd like to have you there.

I read somewhere that jamon serrano does not really originate from Serrano (or is there such a place in Spain?).

I was just about to PM you my number in the hope that I can join one of the get-togethers of either the wine group of the 70s group.

FYI. Literally, jamon serrano simply means mountain ham ("serrano" being one of the Spanish words for mountain. Others include montaña, etc)

I was just about to PM you my number in the hope that I can join one of the get-togethers of either the wine group of the 70s group.

FYI.  Literally, jamon serrano simply means mountain ham ("serrano" being one of the Spanish words for mountain.  Others include montaña, etc)

please feel free to contact either bods or me... you are most welcome to join us. we have a tentative schedule on 7th July at 7pm at Barcino 2/f City Golf plaza. J.Vargas Avenue Pasig.

so far its bods and i. spurt has yet to confirm. if you can make it on the 7th, there will be at around 4 or 5 of us.

i will get back to you as soon as it gets confirmed. so far i dont see any reason it should not.

hope to see you.

you're right on the money here!!!! the "tutong" part and literally scrapping the bottom of paellera adds to the gusto of this dish!!!

the paella at la tienda and patio guernico are notorious for its tutong...

i just had breakfast and i'm craving for paella...

Haha then we can never a paella meal together Mr. Masi because we will be fighting over the tutong! :lol:

I've gone to La Tienda on their off days, haven't tried Patio Guernico yet. But of the places I have frequented it is ñ and Alba's that are consitent with the texture and flavor of their paella.

Hehe natatawa ako Mr. Masi, minsan I get confused which thread I am in.... Wine Savvy ba, 36&Up, MILF or this Vamos a Comer thread dahil nag nag cro-crossover ang mga diskusyones! :lol:

Edited by Lipstick
Haha then we can never a paella meal together Mr. Masi because we will be fighting over the tutong! :lol:

I've gone to La Tienda on their off days, haven't tried Patio Guernico yet.  But of the places I have frequented it is ñ and Alba's that are consitent with the texture and flavor of their paella.

Hehe natatawa ako Mr. Masi, minsan I get confused which thread I am in.... Wine Savvy ba, 36&Up, MILF or this Vamos a Comer thread dahil nag nag cro-crossover ang mga diskusyones! :lol:

that should have read Patio Guernica sorry for the typo...

me too! i get lost in all these exchanges... but in all boils down to one thing... common interest...

i used to get this at la tienda in the makati ave area (jupiter? polaris? i forget the street) somewhere...

:D

masarap sya w/ french bread or pandesal for me.

or eaten by itself ... ;)

well la tienda is still there. i too dont know the name of the street. it's the street that runs parallel to jupiter and burgos and is in between the 2.

the bread they serve is really good. crusty but moist and soft inside.

la tienda serves good spanish dishes.. the paella takes about 45mins to an hour to prepare so i suggest you preorder it when you make your reservation (yes, you need one just to make sure you get a seat. the place gets full). the vegetable soup and the onion soup, you ought to try as well.

funny name for a resto since it means a "store". It has a small deli on the left side upon enterring the place.

well la tienda is still there.  i too dont know the name of the street.  it's the street that runs parallel to jupiter and burgos and is in between the 2.

the bread they serve is really good.  crusty but moist and soft inside. 

la tienda  serves good spanish dishes.. the paella takes about 45mins to an hour to prepare so i suggest you preorder it when  you make your reservation (yes, you need one just to make sure you get a seat.  the place gets full).  the vegetable soup and the onion soup, you ought to try as well.

funny name for a resto since it means a "store".  It has a small deli on the left side upon enterring the place.

if im not mistaken alba's is in the same street? i could be wrong....

and yes i remember the bread. actually i dont think ive eatan anything in la tienda that wasnt good.

i discovered it through some catholic priests (from spain) whom i dined with a few years back. i have no idea what they ordered but i remember a stew like dish that i absolutely loved. there was also this dish that had what i thought was chickpeas in it... syempre i was too engrossed in the food to pay attention to the names.

its a pretty pricey place though.

on a related note, how do you guys feel about paella negra? i had it once and it gave me an upset tummy...