Hepatitis B

dj25

angel by day--

anong criteria ang titignan ko para -- mag tratment ako.?

gaya ng sabi mo,sabi ng doctor ko>>>no treatment needed for me now...d

though i have to check my liver function--and abdomen ultrasound every six months?

can u please furher explain--which blood tests parameters do i have to monitor for me to have treatment?

salamat

US of the liver once a year will do. You have to repeat HBeAg, anti HBe and SGPT levels after 6 months. or 3 months, earliest.

• 4 weeks later...
Effective ba yong BAraclude Entecavir... Puede bang i taka kasama ang mga herbal supplement?

Hi. Regarding Baraclude, effective namn in contolling yung replication or pagdami ng virus although probably not 100%. As mentioned in this thread, dapat u should've fufilled a criteria before undergoing treatment otherwise walang bisa yang gamot na yan. Isa pa you have to take it for months or years on end

Ok lang namn sya i-take with herbal supplements pero honestly kung yng herbal supplimnets na tukoy mo ay yong para sa liver, walang silang silbi against the Hepa B virus.

Pls don't misinterpret. I've nothing against herbal supplements for the liver.I mean I don't think they're of no benifit. Parang vitamins din sila or like most supplements. Their labels would say "no approved therapeutic claim". They are not cures for specific conditions. What they do is try to improve the overall condition of the body or a particular organ. So if anyone is taking them to cure Hepa B or just because they tested positive or reactive for HBsAg I suggest discuss it first with your doctor or better yet a Gastro. Baka umaasa ka sa wala o nagsasayang ng pera. Just a friendly advice

Although there are those who get complete eradication of the virus, for most part treatment can only suppress the activity of the virus to the point that they are not causing harm to the body. Withdrawing of treatment after treatment goals are achieved may lead to recurrence or re-increase of the virus. Treatment make likewise give rise to "mutant" strains of the virus which may be more resistant to the original medication given.

In short, masalimuot po mag-treat ng hepatitis B. But studies are currently being undertaken to improve the chance of cure or at least, control of the virus to prevent the long term complications - cirrrhosis and liver cancer

Although there are those who get complete eradication of the virus, for most part treatment can only suppress the activity of the virus to the point that they are not causing harm to the body. Withdrawing of treatment after treatment goals are achieved may lead to recurrence or re-increase of the virus. Treatment make likewise give rise to "mutant" strains of the virus which may be more resistant to the original medication given.

In short, masalimuot po mag-treat ng hepatitis B. But studies are currently being undertaken to improve the chance of cure or at least, control of the virus to prevent the long term complications - cirrrhosis and liver cancer

yes, kaya pa-vaccine na lang pag wala pa hep b.....preventive medicine..... :thumbsupsmiley:

I've encountered this scenario over and over for the past how many years:

Here's a guy who went to apply for work in an agency. He has never been sick before and has living an active and healthy life. He qualifies and was told that he might be sent abroad shortly. He was asked to undergo the usual "physical" requred by the company and passed everything except the screening for hepatitis B - HBsAg for which he was tested "positive" or "reactive". He is then told that he can not be sent abroad because of this.

He was then advised to take some pills for a month or so then come back for repeat testing.

Guys, this is NOT the way to treat Hepatitis B!

Here are some facts re treatment:

* You do not treat hepa B based on HBsAg results alone. There is a criteria needed to be fulfilled before starting treatment. Several tests have to be done

* Treatment with supplements or special diets DO NOT WORK. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've nothing against supplements. They may be of help in improving the body's /organ's overall health but they do not treat hepatitis B

* You do not treat for one or two weeks only. Treatment for hepatitis B (considering you have fulfilled the criteria for treatment) is anywhere from 6 months to several years.

* Most of the time, treatment for hepatitis B result not in complete elimination of the virus but suppression. This means most of the time you still have the virus in your body but their activity is kept to a minimum that they do not cause harm or lead to complications like cirrhosis or liver cancer.

* Even after months or years of treatment, HBsAg may remain reactive. HBsAg indicates the presence of the virus in the body but does not tell us of the activity of the virus - if they are causing harm.

Hope this sheds some light on the treatment of Hepa B. This is not to bring down the hopes of those who reactive to HBsAg but to enlighten them on the facts of the disesease so that they wont waste money on something that has no clear benefit.

Edited by johardue

hello to the doctors in this thread. i want to ask something if it will be ok to have directly vaccinated with anti hepa B or undergo first a medical screening checkup. Do i have to take anti- hepa A vaccine also prior to anti hepa B vaccine? kindly advice what to do first and later. thanks in advance.

hello to the doctors in this thread. i want to ask something if it will be ok to have directly vaccinated with anti hepa B or undergo first a medical screening checkup. Do i have to take anti- hepa A vaccine also prior to anti hepa B vaccine? kindly advice what to do first and later. thanks in advance.

I suggest that you check the level of hep b antibodies first (your doctor can request for anti-Hbs). Kase baka meron ka naman adequate level of antibodies, then no need for Hep B vaccine. Either hep A or hep B vaccine can come first, in no specific order..It depends on your line of work, kung saan ka mas-prone..

may tanong lang ako, kc napansin ko ung urine ko madalas yellow, khit na umiinom ako ng madaming water everyday. posible kaya hepa eto?

i dont think so. The normal color is either light or bright yellow, depends on your hydration status. Usually in hepatitis, your skin and eyes and mucosa underneath the tongue becomes yellow. That's what we call jaundice. But depending on the degree of liver cell destruction, especially in cases where there is obstruction within the parenchyma itself, your urine can be tea-colored, so to speak. That's brownish na, in layman's term. Why not consult a doctor, specifically a gastroenterologist, para ma-correlate your other physical exam findings.

:blush:

Doctors, what are the symptoms? You've said that at times there really isnt any so we can not tell unless we take some tests? Is that it?

for hepatitis B, since it is usually a chronic (meaning long-standing) disease, symptoms can be as non specific such as vague right upper abdominal pain, weakness, easy fatigability (youd easily get tired), nausea, etc... Note that jaundice, or yellowing of the skin/eyes may or may not be present. It would have to depend on the severity/stage of infection. But as mentioned, most patients dont have the symptoms...most companies, though, request for at least the basic HbsAg screening.

Hepatitis B is a disease which is often taken for granted, as compared to heart disease, stroke, cancer, etc...What people dont realize is that if left untreated, the probability to progress to liver cancer is high. Not that im scaring you or what :rolleyes: Just stating a fact.

I suggest that you check the level of hep b antibodies first (your doctor can request for anti-Hbs). Kase baka meron ka naman adequate level of antibodies, then no need for Hep B vaccine. Either hep A or hep B vaccine can come first, in no specific order..It depends on your line of work, kung saan ka mas-prone..

As a screening for hepatitis B, we can request to HBsAg. Since Hepa B infection is very common here and it is oftentimes acquired during infancy, if the test turns out to be negative, chances are you have not been infected before. Hepa B vaccination would be advisable or at leat ideal.

As mentioned by Angel, either Hep A or Hep B may be given first. There was even a vaccine that combines the two in one shot(I'm just not sure if it's still available in the market).

Hepa A is usually a fairly mild illness which makes vaccination somewhat optional in normal, healthy individuals. However if you have Hepa B already, or any chronic liver disease like cirrhosis, it is advisable to have Hepa A shots to prevent further damage and deterioration of the liver.

Doctors, what are the symptoms? You've said that at times there really isnt any so we can not tell unless we take some tests? Is that it?

Unfortunately, this is the usual scenario.

In majority of cases, infection is acquired around the time of birth or infancy. During this period, the body will not recognize the virus because the immune system is still immature, thus will do nothing about it for years. Sometime, nagiging active sila at dumadami and yet very minimal and non-specific nga ang symptoms as Angel said. Kadalasan di nanatin pinapansin.

To the lucky ones, no serious complications arise inspite years of infection.

To some specialy kung bumagsak yng resistensya, nagiging very active yng virus to the point na nagkakaroon ng significant symptoms like jaundice o paninilaw, among others, that leads then to consult.

To the REAL unlucky ones, the virus becomes active enough to cause repeated bouts ng inflammation o pagmamaga ng liver pero with relatively mild, non-specific symptoms through the years na di napapansin. This leads to scarring of the liver - cirrhosis which may lead to liver cancer. Some patients also may develop liver cancer without developing cirrhosis.

And so It would be ideal to have yourself screened for HBsAg even though wala ka nararamdaman, specialy if someone in your immediate family tested positive.

tanong ko lang.. dba isa sa mga symptoms ng hepa ang yellowish na urine. anu un yellow parin ang urine mo khit na madami ka inom na water?

Actually it's deep, deep yellow even brownish, tea-colored, or parang coke. When this happens, usually may yellowish tinge na rin skin at mata mo.

• 2 months later...