Feeling Rich, Looking Rich And Claiming To Be Rich

ego boost

During one JG Summit stockholders' meeting, I saw John Gokongwei take out a plastic Pepsi watch (the freebie kind) from his pocket. This guy is a billionaire and yet, he was content with having a plastic watch to tell the time. Amazing guy.

There is also this senior guy in our office - a very accomplished and wealthy man, founded his own firm over 30 years ago and made it one of the country's top professional service firms. He goes around in a Kia Besta (a gift from a client-friend), wears barongs which have torn collars, and sports a cheap looking watch.

I'm impressed with this type of people, just like my aunt she owns 12 apartment unit in LA, she makes $12,000 a month from the apartment and her job pays her 70$ roughly around $11,000 a month yet she only drives a civic and dodge caravan and shops at walmart and ross...

ego boost

During one JG Summit stockholders' meeting, I saw John Gokongwei take out a plastic Pepsi watch (the freebie kind) from his pocket. This guy is a billionaire and yet, he was content with having a plastic watch to tell the time. Amazing guy.

There is also this senior guy in our office - a very accomplished and wealthy man, founded his own firm over 30 years ago and made it one of the country's top professional service firms. He goes around in a Kia Besta (a gift from a client-friend), wears barongs which have torn collars, and sports a cheap looking watch.

The Gokongweis are thrifty, they would even ask the waiters to wrapped up leftovers so that they could bring it home.

They deserved to be rich.

Edited by johnlove

That's his way of life or... maybe his way to create an impression.

I want to quote Ecclesiastes 6

1 I have seen another evil under the sun, and it weighs heavily on men: 2 God gives a man wealth, possessions and honor, so that he lacks nothing his heart desires, but God does not enable him to enjoy them, and a stranger enjoys them instead. This is meaningless, a grievous evil.

3 A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. 4 It comes without meaning, it departs in darkness, and in darkness its name is shrouded. 5 Though it never saw the sun or knew anything, it has more rest than does that man- 6 even if he lives a thousand years twice over but fails to enjoy his prosperity. Do not all go to the same place?

This is where I can relate and best describe my own way of life, also in Ecclesiastes 5:

18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him—for this is his lot. 19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work—this is a gift of God. 20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart.

My apologies if I sound spiritual this time.

I'd rather go with the feeling rich than the feeling poor. Mas masaya silang kasama. :D

iba iba rin kasi ang iniisip ng tao at mga priorities iba iba din ..baka si gokong ang iniisip niya ay yung mga multi million deals kaya yung oras ang importante sa kanya di ang orasan... mas matindi si henry sy sa akin pa nagtanong ng oras ?

hehehe

Nothing wrong in trying to play someone's game ..... as long as one has the means, tools and the passion of winning it ..... meaning if we want to play then let's play it right ....

Just a thought

If I want to be rich, feel rich or look rich .... i will ensure that I am on the path towards getting rich ... work hard, save money, invest/spend well

Kung puro feeling and looking lang ..... it will bring me nowhere but back

Oh but the hongkonese and the koreans try to look like the japs as well...

In fact I have complimented a good number of ladies in HKG about looking

japanese and it had been a thrill for many of them.

Colonial Mentality

Maybe some jobs or professions require that you look rich. They say, "You fake it until you make it." As far as I am concern, just don't hurt anyone through deceits and lies.

As for me, how I look is not important, but more so, who I am inside. In the very end, the truth will always prevail.

Edited by kenshin11
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Maybe because others equate money with power.

They want to look/appear affluent so people can perceive them as powerful.. so they can have the upperhand on just about anything and everything..

Basta ako pag walang pera, charms nalang ang pinapagana :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...

I think this type of behavior has more to do with one's humility rather than one's perception of their wealth. I often see poor people flaunt their brand new cell phones. I also know many wealthy Filipinos who don't even say a word that they've bought something noteworthy or accomplished something great. I'm a firm believer in acting your wage and living within our means. I don't think it's particularly mayabang if I happen to see a celebrity drive by in their top of the line BMW. On the other hand, I'm dumbfounded and almost offended when I see people buy a brand new iPhone when just a week ago, they were begging me for money to buy food for their family. That I think is mayabang.

Edited by PapaFresh
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So they can flex their muscles and be able to say " hindi mo ba ako kilala?"

Parang sa shop na pinagpapagawaan ko sa Banawe. "Yung isang lalaki, kung umasta para talagang sa kanya 'yung kotse na pinapagawa nya. Kung tingnan 'yung mga ibang kotse, talagang minamaliit. Tapos sinasabi na "eto nung nakuha ko... ('yung car)." Pero tanungin mo kung anong model 'yung dina-drive nya, hindi masabi. Tapos nagkita kami ulit, 'yung malaking car ko ang dala ko, sabi, bago "DIN" 'yan ah, habang punas sa talsik sa gilid ng kotse nya. Tapos kwento kung gaano daw kalaki na ang nagagastos nya sa kapapagawa ng suspension ng luxury car nya kasi ang mahal daw at rare ang parts. Tapos may naka-taxi na dumating at tiningnan 'yung car. Pumasok sa loob at may kinuha.

Anak pala ng amo nya.

Driver pala ang ungas.

Hindi na kami kinausap.

He. he. he.

Naku I have this officemate before that is such a braggart. He said that his father is an architect and his mom is a vetrinarian. he has all the latest gadgets like when the Quad Core processors just came out he said that his computer sported those specs and that he has the latest palm computer with wi-fi, he drives an Altis, Fortuner and a tricked out Corolla '91 blacktop with 4AGE mods. Then came the time he had to borrow money from one of our officemates. He borrowed 15,000 php then after a few days, he resigned. Up to this day my officemate whom he borrowed the money from is still paying his credit card bills(he lent money through cash advance), kawawa naman and to think mabait naman yung taong ito. so please be advised that if you know someone named Antonio Carlos Vargas mag ingat kayo dahil manunuba or swindler ito.

Palipat lipat daw ito ng call center ngayon, last time seen or heard he was at IBM Daksh

Edited by MidnightSon