Damsel in distress alert!

Anyone here been to Brazil? I need some help in building my IT. I'm going with a couple of friends later this year. We're taking Delta Airlines with one stop in Amsterdam. It's US$ 2,800+ but I can get a huge discount since I have a friend who owns a travel agency. Travel time is about 34 hours one way. If you know of a better route or an airline which offers cheaper airfare, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll book my flight with Delta next week.

We're landing in Sao Paulo and we have already arranged for hotel accommodation. I have no idea what we're gonna do in this city. I still need to research on that. Heard its a bit dangerous over there though. Anyway, we're flying to Rio de Janeiro via TAM on our third day in Brazil. Fare is at US$ 268 roundtrip. I still don't know where to stay once we get there (although I won't mind sleeping on shore, hahaha). Hit the beach, party, take a city tour, and of course, check out Corcovado for a glimpse of Christ the Redeemer.

I won't bother going to Brasilia. We'll fly back to Sao Paulo after a few days in Rio. Then, we're Manila bound.

So there. You see I still have a lot of planning to do. Please, please suggest some places to see and activities to try out (HOT Brazilian men tops my TO DO list :P).

...Wait for me, Brazil...

Edited by ForeverSummer

^ Fortunately, we are taking a plane from Sao Paulo to Rio. :)

I have decided to spend only a couple of days in Rio to see Ipanema, Copacobana, Leblon, Mount Corcovado, and Sugarloaf. Read that the beaches in Buzios are more gorgeous and less crowded. I want that authentic chill Brazilian beach feel. Then, I need to squeeze in Iguassu Falls and the Amazon.

Man, am I excited or what?

i too am planning brazil.. not too keen going this year though..

i think not everyone there speaks english..

can you tell me what month you planning to go?

what i could do is ask a friend who is a local there..

she lives in SP and guarulhos.. gimikera pa.

im not saying i can be of 100% help but i can show her your post and maybe she can give you an advise or two :D

cheers FS

huli man at magaling.. huli pa rin :P

the friend and i managed to do a rather interesting conversation, so i asked her if i will be going there in Br, where will she bring me -- given that i have no idea of the place. please pardon me if my post will confuse you.. i guess, tanong ka nalang after reading :)

in SP, you can go to

- ibirapuera park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibirapuera_Park), takes 345 acres of land and showcases a couple of landmarks..

- pacaembu avenue - a football museum

- paulista avenue - bars, malls, park, library

- iguatemi mall - from how she described it, it's like greenbelt 5.. expensive stores are in it

- oscar freire

- disco houses - pink elephant, the box, and taboo -- i read you like to dance :P

- mercado municipal - big burger especially made in brazil

- 25 de março - place to buy cheap girl stuff located in são bento station

- a couple of historical places in downtown

- meron silang "little japan" -- jap shops and japanese mcdonalds

- either take cab, train, bus, or walk -- though she mentioned that the subways tend to get LRT crowded at times

in Rio, you have mentioned the nice places - Ipanema, Copacobana, Leblon, Mount Corcovado, and Sugarloaf

- in copacobana, you can find those hot men (if you can see, i have ask specific questions for you.. LOL)

- grumari beach - brazilian surfers galore

- buzios beach is better than grumari

- iguassu fall is closer to the south BR and amazon is in the north - both far from SP and RJ

- always raining in the amazon

- october is spring here though SP is colder than other places, so a jacket or two will be handy. on the other hand, RJ is warm

- she mentioned brasilia but you're not going there right? :P

tips:

caipirinha is a special drink in brazil. please help yourself chugging brazil's drink :P

i have managed to get a bottle of Cachaça (40% alcohol) and fabricate my own version. masarap siya, in fairness

not all brazilians speak english, so it pays to bring for the hotel's business card so it would be easy for you go back

i hope i did not miss anything :)

she is offering to give you her email address if you have other queries :)

Edited by Pipe
  • 2 months later...

It breaks my heart to postpone my trip to early next year. Is it safe for tourists to go to Rio during Carnaval?

i have been to brazil for a few weeks (but long time ago). if you're flying from sao paolo to rio then please check if it's the same same airport in sao paolo... the 2 airports in sao paolo are almost 1 hour apart (by taxi).

do not stroll around with a laptop bag. better use knapsack bag to carry your laptop. not a very safe place. i think you're not allowed in the streets during the carnival. but there is a 'street stadium' where there is a regular show (weekly?).

i took manila - hk - london - sao paolo route (then i learned that i have to go to rio instead and someone handed me the plane ticket to rio when i arrived in sao paolo). any route (japan/north america, europe or even south africa) will be almost the travel same time. only thing to check is the waiting time between airports. i hope this helps.

^ I want to take the bus from Sao Paulo to Rio. It's gonna take hours, but that's fine since I want to see as much of Brazil as possible.

Thanks for the reminders. Scared me a little, but I guess I just need to be extra careful. I intend to stay longer in Buzios than in Rio. I'm hoping there will be less people in that area.

Were you there during the Carnaval?

unfortunately, i too have confirmed that carnaval is not too safe for tourists.. i think it is just like any other country with a not-to-safe place for its visitors, we have quiapo and divisoria area. though some have been warned, but it doesn't really stop foreigners going to quiapo church or buy cheap stuffs in divisoria.

maybe, just be really careful and bring what you just need. probably don't bring your wallet but bring money and put it in a "secure" pocket. asking the hotel concierge on what to expect, where to go and what to see would be really handy, at least for me for these are things i normally do.

from what i am seeing, carnaval is a must see. ingat nalang siguro..

i am currently reading articles of buzios beaches..

your excitement is contagious :wacko:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't forget to wear the skimpiest bikini that'd fit your frame.

Take advantage of that fierce Brazilian sun....

Nakakainggit...don't forget to take pics. Lots of 'em.

Also stay away from the favelas - especially when there are funk balls. These are frequented by knife-happy borrachos.

Yeah, don't forget to watch Rio (now showing at local cinemas in 3D)

• 7 months later...

I was in Rio 3 years ago during Carnival week (I actually left the 2nd day of Carnival)

From my experience:

- If you stick to proper guidelines (don't wear fancy jewelry, travel in groups, avoid the favelas) you will not find yourself in any harmful situations

- Carnival is a once in a lifetime experience, not one would ever forget. I recommend everyone to at least see this once.

- Stick to Ipanema beach and avoid Copacabana. A lot of 'talents' litter Copacabana looking for clients. Unless that's what you are after as well.

- Post 9 in Ipanema is the best location to hang out at the beach

- NOT everyone speaks English. Definitely brush up on some Portuguese before arriving, just the basic stuff.

Cariocas (what locals call themselves in Brazil) are very hospitable people and they love mingling with tourists. They love to party and have no reservations on showing affections in public. If you end up meeting a nice local, be prepared for some public kiss-fest sessions :lol:

I plan on going back in the next 2 years. Pretty soon the world will know about this place, what with the World Cup and Olympics coming to Brazil.

Plaza Maua in Rio de Janiero where all the seamans having fun,girls can speak tagalog better than english,I've been to Rio de Janiero,Santos,Paranagua and Vitoria.

LOL :) it seems the filipino seamen get around :) Haven't been to brazil but the same is true dun sa red light district ng Argentina. chances are the girls would know more tagalog than english.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

23 hours give or take 2 hours total travel time if you're going to go via MLA-AMSTERDAM-SAO PAULO.

I took KLM before and they provided me with a voucher to stay at the airport hotel in Amsterdam Schipol Airport because I had a 16 hour wait between flights.

This is still the fastest and best compared to going via the US as they require you to have a visa even if you're only passing through and not even going out of immigration. It is also a longer route.

Transit via France (if you take Air France) is also similar to transitting in Amsterdam.

I've been to Rio 5 times in 7 months, staying around 4-5 days at a time. I love it there! I walk around and move around and I feel relatively safe having my DSLR dangling beside me. Maybe because I'm tall and I look fit hence they didn't bother me - but the kids thought I was Japanese and started talking to me in (the little) Japanese that they know.

It does help to know Portuguese as most people and taxi drivers do not speak English. My Sao Paulo portuguese was immediately noticed by the Cariocas (Rio-born people) when I strike up a conversation with them (yeah, I try!) Sadly, I haven't used portuguese for a long time so I am very rusty with it.

• 3 weeks later...

23 hours give or take 2 hours total travel time if you're going to go via MLA-AMSTERDAM-SAO PAULO.

I took KLM before and they provided me with a voucher to stay at the airport hotel in Amsterdam Schipol Airport because I had a 16 hour wait between flights.

This is still the fastest and best compared to going via the US as they require you to have a visa even if you're only passing through and not even going out of immigration. It is also a longer route.

Transit via France (if you take Air France) is also similar to transitting in Amsterdam.

I've been to Rio 5 times in 7 months, staying around 4-5 days at a time. I love it there! I walk around and move around and I feel relatively safe having my DSLR dangling beside me. Maybe because I'm tall and I look fit hence they didn't bother me - but the kids thought I was Japanese and started talking to me in (the little) Japanese that they know.

It does help to know Portuguese as most people and taxi drivers do not speak English. My Sao Paulo portuguese was immediately noticed by the Cariocas (Rio-born people) when I strike up a conversation with them (yeah, I try!) Sadly, I haven't used portuguese for a long time so I am very rusty with it.

Have you ever eaten at a Por Cao restaurant? They serve the best beef there. The last time we visited Rio, we went up Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. The view at Sugar Loaf is simply magnificent.

• 2 months later...

Was in Corcovado Brazil in the late 90's. felt like I was on top of the World or up in heaven when I was at the foot of the Great Redeemer. Rode the cable car to Sugar Loaf Mountain or Pao de Azucar and the view was spectacular. Strolled on Ipanema beach and watched scantilly clad girls and real hot men in skimpy trunks. These gorgeous men were better than the beach and view.

• 4 months later...

Have you ever eaten at a Por Cao restaurant? They serve the best beef there. The last time we visited Rio, we went up Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. The view at Sugar Loaf is simply magnificent.

I don't think I've tried it unless it's the one in (or near) Niteroi.

And yes! The view from Corcovado and Sugar Loaf are to die for. If I have enough moolah, I will be retiring in Rio.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...