Clothes Make The Man? Or Man Makes The Clothes?

dragonei

Mark Twain once said that its the clothes that make the man, men wth too little clothes or naked can make no influence to the people sorrounding them.

As much as I have respect for mark twain, I also do not believe that crap. I mean if that were true, then how come oblation runners make the headlines every feruary, or how come naked women in FHM tend to become more popular than award winning actresses.

Personally, I beleive that there is absolutely no person in this planet who can wear all kinds of clothing. I beleive more what the french people say that it is not the habbit that makes the monk.

You see this is why I hate watching fashion shows, or reading fashinon magazines, for me its really an utter waste of my precious time. First of all the clothes that models wear look good on them precisely because they are alreay good looking. Most of the time fashion photos do not necessarily focus on the quality of clothing itself, but the models themselves.

At the end of the day, you are left thinking that if you buy thier product, you will get to look like Richard Guttierez, or Jerry Yan. And when you find out that you don't regardless of what clothes you wear, what you are left with is massive insecurity about yourself.

Take a look at the likes of Annabelle Rama for instance. Kahit anong gara n suot nya, kahit gaano kamahal alahas nya, kahit pa sumaky siya sa pinakamagarang sasakyan, at kahit pa mag-asawa anak nya ng prinsipe ng kung saang lupalop. Hinding hindi na niya maiaalis ang pagiging taga-squatters area nya, mukha parin siyang mamasang. Why? because it is in the very way she projects herself, lets face it guys, nobody can learn how to be elegant overnight.

On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who knows how to dress up, who can carry yourself with elegance, and most of all if you know how to pick the right clothing, then at the end of the day Calvin Klien is nothing more but a name. Kahit pa segunda mano damit mo, you can still shine like a new penny.

I watch a lot of pinoy shows on TFC that feature make over, and the final product? Ok maganda mga suot nila pero hindi naman talaga kaya dalhin. Yan ang hindi ko maintindihan sa Pinoy, bakit ba kasi lahat atyo gusto nating maging fashion victim.

For me its kinda both ways...but clothes make the man.

I agree watching fashion shows is a waste of time but i dont have a problem looking at fashion mags and really when i look at those models wearing those clothes they dont really stand out to me but the clothes itself. But maybe thats just me coz im a shopping addict and love fashion...

Its true though some people do try to wear something they arent comfortable in , i believe people should wear what they most feel comfortable and yet stylish in their own way. Just because you can wear a slim fit Mooks shirt does not mean you can pull it off and then in the end these people will feel insecure about themselves once they realise its not for them...

My friend for one is like that he trys to wear trendy new rip cut jeans but when he wears it he aint comfortable in it and is always worried about what people think (i can tell coz his always nagging me when we go out asking how he looks...)

They shouldnt really be trying to pull off the Beckham/Pharrell look but style your own way that suits your personality...if your a shy guy dont wear something that screams fashion...

personally, i'd say the one who carries the clothes and

how he carries his clothes is still 'it'. of course, branded

clothes which we invest will always add points to the

over-all look and perhaps, impact.

a person who knows how to carry himself and is confident

of himself will look and will ooze with appeal even if he

is in simple, unbranded clothing.

One's stature in life, be it, corporate, economic, social, or political determines how one should dress.

Over the years, I've encountered unique situations when it came to how one dressed.

In the U.S., when you deal in New York, suits are required. However, such "dress code" may not necessarily apply when dealing in "Silicon Valley". I remember meeting some Silicon Valley based venture capital firm; I was wearing a suit and to my surprise, those guys wear a polo shirt and jeans. I have a friend who worked for a telecom firm in San Diego, who said that wearing long denim pants as "formal" wear during the summer. Bill Gates' typical day would be in button down oxford shirt and chinos and may wear a jacket from time to time. A president of an electronics company based in Austin, Texas apologized to me for not being properly attired when I met him because I was in a suit and he was in ala Bill Gates look!

However, such "dress down" attire will not fit-in when dealing with Japanese executives where the classic cut blue suit is a national business uniform. A black suit, which a typical American would wear is a suit for used for visiting the dead.

In Europe, you would stand out in a crowd if you wear a dark blue suit during the day, as they have a "day" blue suit. Expect to be meeting a guy wearing a red or gold colored jacket, as well.

Asia has it's own unique way of dressing. My Barong Tagalog would fit well in any Asean country just like the batik shirt of the Indonesian.

Nothing beats being proper in any occasion not just in the clothes you wear but in how you act and behave, as well.

Edited by masi

well, when one buys the clothes because of the name attached to it, then one becomes a fashion victim.

its better that one buys clothes because they suit one's sense of style. knowing how to carry oneself in one's clothes -whatever style they are - is of primary importance, as is also dressing for the occassion.

one would find it hard party at a luau wearing an armani suit :D :D :D

However, such "dress down" attire will not fit-in when dealing with Japanese executives where the classic cut blue suit is a national business uniform.  A black suit, which a typical American would wear is a suit for used for visiting the dead.

it is same with japanese, korean, taiwanese, chinese and honkie people. generally, work or office attire would be short sleeved button down shirt and a tie. coats are added when the occassion arises. yes, black suits with matching black tie are for funerals.

clothes....depends where you are coming from....if you really don't like dressing up....you will have a hard time understanding why some people wear what they wear. it's like trying to figure out a guy who is techi....why he loves those stuff and why he spends so much time and money on them????

i for one....i love clothes and shoes for that matter....as in i spend most of my money shopping....minsan di ko pa din masakyan yung suot ng ibang tao.

wearing good clothes, ie. right mix and match, brand, quality,cut....for me helps a person project a better image. tho as the thread starter said....once a palenkera, always a palenkera no matter what you put on her.

fashion will always be a personal taste....what may be fashionable for me may not sit well with another or vise versa. also, what you wear greatly depends were you are....as some guys said above, what may be applicable in the states, once you wear it here in the philippines, you may look stupid....haaay how i wish i could wear layered clothes here....wear also my trench coat....init kasi dito satin.

if i may suggest to the guys....buy the book of carson kressly, fashion guy in queer eye....it's very informative, and i just love his side comments on fashion faux pas, plus the fact he will teach you the basic things to wear, when to wear it and when not too plus the must haves and the leave it to the experts to wear....tho as i said, there still are some items which are not applicable to philippine setting, ie. cowboy boots, winter clothes, etc.

Edited by mild seven
clothes....depends where you are coming from....if you really don't like dressing up....you will have a hard time understanding why some people wear what they wear. it's like trying to figure out a guy who is techi....why he loves those stuff and why he spends so much time and money on them????

i for one....i love clothes and shoes for that matter....as in i spend most of my money shopping....minsan di ko pa din masakyan yung suot ng ibang tao.

wearing good clothes, ie. right mix and match, brand, quality,cut....for me helps a person project a better image. tho as the thread starter said....once a palenkera, always a palenkera no matter what you put on her.

fashion will always be a personal tastes....what may be fashionable for me may not sit well with another or vise versa. also, what you wear greatly depends were you are....as some guys said above, what may be applicable in the states, once you wear it here in the philippines, you may look stupid....haaay how i wish i could wear layered clothes here....wear also my trench coat....init kasi dito satin.

if i may suggest to the guys....buy the book of carson kressly, fashion guy in queer eye....it's very informative, and i just love his side comments on fashion faux pas, plus the fact he will teach you the basic things to wear, when to wear it and when not too plus the must haves and the leave it to the experts to wear....tho as i said, there still are some items which are not applicable to philippine setting, ie. cowboy boots, winter clothes, etc.

thats correct statement esp for guys, what could be highly fashion in Australia isnt in the Philippines...vice versa...

last time i was in the Philippines i notice brands like Lee were so different to the ones in Australia. I dont mean to sound rude but Lee jeans in the Philippines were like a cheap quality jeans you could buy at K-Mart...Lee here in Australia is a huge label brand that compares to jeans made from 7 For All Man Kind, Von Dutch, FireTrap, Diesel, G-Star etc etc...

I also notice Jag is different too maybe you have different designers etc than Austalia...

thats correct statement esp for guys, what could be highly fashion in Australia isnt in the Philippines...vice versa...

last time i was in the Philippines i notice brands like Lee were so different to the ones in Australia. I dont mean to sound rude but Lee jeans in the Philippines were like a cheap quality jeans you could buy at K-Mart...Lee here in Australia is a huge label brand that compares to jeans made from 7 For All Man Kind, Von Dutch, FireTrap, Diesel, G-Star etc etc...

I also notice Jag is different too maybe you have different designers etc than Austalia...

by the way, the book i was mentioning above is entitled "off the cuff".

fashion also greatly depends on the time we are in....i can remember in the 80's it was the preppy look that was in....loafers, topsiders, lacoste and ralph lauren shirts, chinos, etc... then in the 90's, it was the oversized shirts and cargo pants....now it's the slim shirts, baby tee's, cigarette cut pants....damn, the tighter your clothes are, the better.

i can remember when i went out during my highschool days in the 80's (discos and club house parties) dapat medyo bihis ka, long or short sleeves na polo and chinos with loafers or driving shoes....now people are super dressed down, the kids when i see them out, jeans, t-shirt and rubber shoes, dalas naka havianas lang nga now a days.

plus the fact that mas marami na options now in terms of clothes and shoes....kahit di na branded suot mo ok lang....unlike during my time....pag wala tatak suot mo panis ka.

Edited by mild seven
by the way, the book i was mentioning above is entitled "off the cuff".

fashion also greatly depends on the time we are in....i can remember in the 80's it was the preppy look that was in....loafers, topsiders, bloochers, lacoste and ralph lauren shirts, chinos, etc... then in the 90's, it was the oversized shirts and cargo pants....now it's the slim shirts, baby tee's, cigarette cut pants....damn, the tighter your clothes are, the better.

i can remember when i went out during my highschool days in the 80's (discos and club house parties) dapat medyo bihis ka, long or short sleeves na polo and chinos with loafers or driving shoes....now people are super dressed down, the kids when i see them out, jeans, t-shirt and rubber shoes, dalas naka havianas lang nga now a days.

plus the fact that mas marami na options now in terms of clothes and shoes....kahit di na branded suot mo ok lang....unlike during my time....pag wala tatak suot mo panis ka.

oh man dont remind me of the 90's when i was in high school wearing those baggy jeans and loose fitting shirts that was one size up from me...yea cargos, stone colour jeans, turtle necks, long v neck sleeves, usa jumpers, adidas track suits, puffy jackets wear major popular in the mid 90's to late (australia that is)

some of the fashion today has a major influence from the 80s preppy look like loafers, polos etc but more updated and funky now. all the must have shoes now are canvas and retro style looking shoes, a few years ago it was all cutting edge bowling shoes like diesel.

but yea slim tees and fitted clothes does look much better and highly fashion...

i got this from Askmen.com from the fashion section...

...Just remember that, while it's the clothes that make the man, it's the attitude that makes the clothes; so whatever you decide to step out in, keep your head up high and your confidence on your sleeve. You, after all, define your image.
  • 3 months later...

subukan niyo basahin libro ni alan flusser, style and the man, para masagot ang tanong na iyan.

99% ng mga males dito sa pinas, either baduy o di marunong magbihis. akala lang nila guwapo sila proke't naka lacoste/nike/cole-haan/ralph lauren/ax/kenneth cole/prada/ etc... sila. dapat siguro matuto muna ang tao ng STYLE, hindi fashion.

"Clothes make the man or the man makes the clothes work.." I will answer that question by simply saying that it goes both ways..

A man may look good but if he does not wear the proper clothing for a certain occasion then he will look stupid even though how good looking he is.. Gwapo o maganda ka nga tanga ka naman magbihis.. and vise versa.. In this regard clothes make the man..

But there are also instances that even though how expensive, trendy, etc. your clothes are.. People still think that you stink because of your attitude, the way you move and gryate in the outside world.. Dragonei said it perfectly with his example of Annabelle Rama.. May punto siya kung magsalita so ang tingin sa kaniya ng mga tao ay mas mababa sa kanyang projection.. + its her attitude.. balahura..

I do think in this world, dressing up properly is important so that people will respect you and not make fun of you.. But projection will also be dependent on attitude.. That's why good attitude coupled with good projection will always win..

With regards to trend.. There are people who don't follow the latest trends coz it does not fit for them.. Tight clothes are in nowadays but fat people still wear baggy stuff coz they would look thinner with baggy clothes.. My point is may binabagayan din ang trend.. You are lucky if you can get away with everything.. uso man o hindi..

One does not have to buy the latest trend to look good.. One should just buy normal stuff.. not too trendy not too out dated.. Then you would be safe.. But you can not go out and look you came from the 60's.. people would make fun of you.. known "60's look person".. like Imelda Marcos.. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I think it has to work both ways really...

Clothes can make the man; if the man can make the clothes...

Its all a matter to self-confidence, of knowing what works with you, and what you're comfortable with.

A huge percentage of what I have in my closet don't have any visible "brand id's", but I make it a point to gather clothes that are very well made.

Its how you wear them really.