236 replies to this topic

#21 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

I wonder from which country did this fusion bread product concept originate? Japan, taiwan, HK? When I was in hong kong ten years ago, they are already quite popular. Chains like Maxim's (the pastry shops, not the restaurant) are already all over the place (and in every MTR station I think) and are already selling such products. Other mom-and-pop bread and pastry stores are also selling them.

Sometimes I was wondering why it took a long time for the concept to be introduced here in manila...

#22 ATONG ANG

ATONG ANG

THE IRON CHEF

• (09) Manic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts
  • Interests:sex, sex, sex.... and sex

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:11 PM

I wonder from which country did this fusion bread product concept originate? Japan, taiwan, HK? When I was in hong kong ten years ago, they are already quite popular. Chains like Maxim's (the pastry shops, not the restaurant) are already all over the place (and in every MTR station I think) and are already selling such products. Other mom-and-pop bread and pastry stores are also selling them.

Sometimes I was wondering why it took a long time for the concept to be introduced here in manila...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the concept was already here in chinatown bakeries a few years ago but the market was still in infancy stage and at the same time could not accept the high price given the high costs of quality ingredients. why would one buy more than 20 pesos of a weird bread when a piece of pandesal was only 1 peso then. they had the asian 'it is still a bread' mentality.

#23 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:31 PM

the concept was already here in chinatown bakeries  a few years ago but the market was still in infancy stage and at the same time could not accept the high price given the high costs of quality ingredients. why would one buy more than 20 pesos of a weird bread when a piece of pandesal was only 1 peso then.  they had the asian  'it is still a bread' mentality.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if there is now wide acceptance of P20 bottled water and P70 coffee, I'm sure there will be no problem with P50 bread products.

#24 ATONG ANG

ATONG ANG

THE IRON CHEF

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 29 October 2004 - 12:18 PM

Well, if there is now wide acceptance of P20 bottled water and P70 coffee, I'm sure there will be no problem with P50 bread products.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have to disagree with the term wide acceptance. maybe with the higher income bracket but not with the majority. 20 peso bottled water is bought by the common man out of necessity to avoid diseases because there is no alternative. a canned soda is almost similarly priced. a 70 peso coffee and 50 peso bread has many alternatives. havent you noticed how stategically located the branches of breadtalk are? i doubt it if they would open in sm malls. :)

#25 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • 721 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 02:17 AM

i have to disagree with the term wide acceptance.  maybe with the higher income bracket but not with the majority.  20 peso bottled water is bought by the common man out of necessity to avoid diseases because there is no alternative. a canned soda is almost similarly priced.  a 70 peso coffee and 50 peso bread has many alternatives.  havent you noticed how stategically located the branches of breadtalk are? i doubt it if they would open in sm malls.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Usually when a new product concept or product category is introduced in the market, it starts with the higher-income segment and when successful, starts penetrating the lower segment as well. I'm confident this fusion bread concept will go the same way, too. But it won't necessarily be breadtalk who'd be successful in reaching the mass market. Breadtalk might stop at segment AB, and a new competitor might introduce chearper versions and would be more in a position to mass market the product concept.

On the other hand, since breadtalk and its counterparts in HK and other countries cater to the mass market, breadtalk itself might lead the way after a few years. When McDonalds started operations here in the early eighties, it also started with the higher-income segment. But it was just a metter of time that it would go mass market as that was part of its business concept.

#26 tancarlotaco

tancarlotaco

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 07:47 AM

i think breadtalk is just a fad, though it is selling bread - it's main selling point is the various fillings, not the bread. i used to buy it every week, ngayon wala na, sawa na. i talk to some of their people and they admitted that sales are tapering off. malakas daw nung una pero flat na raw ang sales minsan mababa pa. this franchise originated from singapore. the philippine owners also own Red Box, the ktv in G3, and the coffee bean and tea leaf. 2 businesses which are medyo tapering off in popularity. kasi puro promo - like in Red Box, u get a membership card pero open naman to the general public, ang mahal pa! sa coffee bean, may frequent buyer's card, wala naman madalas yung mga ingredients ng mga bestsellers (poor inventory control)

#27 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:adventure and travel,my motto in life is blessed are the curious for they shall live interesting lives.active in charitable works especially involving children make a wish foundation,bantay bata etc

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:43 PM

There are having an inaguration party to mark the occasion of opening their 2nd Branch at Rockwell Power plant Mall on Nov 9.Tim Yap is the host and I was invited to be one of the guests.I will take this oppurtunity to try all their breads and make an FR,since I plan to have their breads for dinner

#28 ATONG ANG

ATONG ANG

THE IRON CHEF

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 10:43 PM

There are having an inaguration party to mark the occasion of opening their 2nd Branch at Rockwell Power plant Mall on Nov 9.Tim Yap is the host and I was invited to be one of the guests.I will take this oppurtunity to try all their breads and make an FR,since I plan to have their breads for dinner

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you can finish all their bread varieties in one sitting without any rest period, i'm gonna name a son after you in the future :D

#29 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,371 posts
  • Interests:adventure and travel,my motto in life is blessed are the curious for they shall live interesting lives.active in charitable works especially involving children make a wish foundation,bantay bata etc

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:09 AM

if you can finish all their bread varieties in one sitting without any rest period, i'm  gonna name a son after you in the future :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will try :D

#30 chicboy143

chicboy143

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:39 AM

Wow! May Breadtalk na sa Rockwell. Sana same quality sa original.

#31 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:03 PM

As promised here is the FR on the BreadTalk inaguauration at Rockwell.I was there along with Dark Angel who writes for me part time.From Pre-cocktails,Guests were kept well entertained by a silver painted mime and as soon as they had settled in,the ribbon cutting ceremony took first order of the evening.
Tim Yap and Tricia Chiongbian were seated beside us,It turns out Tricia S favorite is Tiramisu while Tims is Floss.We had a long interesting chat with Winwarc Chu the managing director of BreadTalk.
As soon as the baloons were let loose,BreadTalk proceeded to serve us miniture versions of their signature breads including the current best seller Floss.We were treated to their newest offeringso double trouble,Chocolate Hill and the Chocolate smart Aleck,while vegetarians had their fill of vegetarian pizza,Green Tea An Pan and Popeye toast(spinach).Other favorites were Crouching Tiger,Hidden Bacon and Mr Beans
.They also launched signature breads named after Philippine personalities Twisted Tim after Tim Yap,Oh yes Its Johnny(Johnny Litton) and ChicChic Daphne Osena Paez,Who incidentally made baon 3 boxes of breads.Overall it was a wonderful evening flowing with champagne and Breads

#32 ATONG ANG

ATONG ANG

THE IRON CHEF

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:23 PM

so, how many varieties were you able to finish? :D should have amended the challenge to include sleeping that night with trays of eggs and a gallon of melted butter at bedside :D

#33 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • 721 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:46 PM

Great FR, cebucitylocal! I think this is the first non-MP-related FR I've read on this site. :D

Is Winwarc the younger brother of Walden who's often in the papers?

When the glorietta branch just openned, there's this quite tall singaporean-looking guy manning the store. Did he attend as well? Is he one of the owners too?

#34 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:15 AM

so, how many varieties were you able to finish? :D should have amended the challenge to include sleeping that night with trays of eggs and a gallon of melted butter at bedside :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were 28 varieties of Bread and 16 varieties of cake.I was only able to finish about 16 varieties of bread and 5 kinds of cake :sick: ,You are correct,It is impossibile to try eveything,Even Bread can become so filling :) I dont think I can eat Bread Talk for a month :D

#35 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 05:26 AM

Great FR, cebucitylocal! I think this is the first non-MP-related FR I've read on this site.  :D

Is Winwarc the younger brother of Walden who's often in the papers?

When the glorietta branch just openned, there's this quite tall singaporean-looking guy manning the store. Did he attend as well? Is he one of the owners too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and the tall Singaporean is not one of the owners but a Technical Consultant.The Singaporean attended I believe.I forgot to describe the signature breads Oh Yes,Its Johnny is Jonhnny Littons face on a sweet Bun filled with Ube Macapuno.Chic Chic,A clutch bag shaped bread filled with Floss.Twisted Tim,Indian Naan bread topped with Adobo flakes,kesong puti and fresh tomatoes,Bread creation,a bread with a japanese miso filling topped with smoked salmon,green onions and sprinkled with seaweed

#36 cebucitylocal

cebucitylocal

Panget Philantrophist

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:50 PM

Hi,Akyat ko lang :)

#37 DarkAngel

DarkAngel

Woman in Process

• Ambassador
  • 17,354 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 06:41 AM

As promised here is the FR on the BreadTalk inaguauration at Rockwell.I was there along with Dark Angel who writes for me part time.From Pre-cocktails,Guests were kept well entertained by a silver painted mime and as soon as they had settled in,the ribbon cutting ceremony took first order of the evening.
Tim Yap and Tricia Chiongbian were seated beside us,It turns out Tricia S favorite is Tiramisu while Tims is Floss.We had a long interesting chat with Winwarc Chu the managing director of BreadTalk.
As soon as the baloons were let loose,BreadTalk proceeded to serve us miniture versions of their signature breads including the current best seller Floss.We were treated to their newest offeringso double trouble,Chocolate Hill and the Chocolate smart Aleck,while vegetarians had their fill of vegetarian pizza,Green Tea An Pan and Popeye toast(spinach).Other favorites were Crouching Tiger,Hidden Bacon and Mr Beans
.They also launched signature breads named after Philippine personalities Twisted Tim after Tim Yap,Oh yes Its Johnny(Johnny Litton) and ChicChic Daphne Osena Paez,Who incidentally made baon 3 boxes of breads.Overall it was a wonderful evening flowing with champagne and Breads

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Galing ng FR, CCL!

I have to agree. BreadTalk made me forget my Atkins diet :cry:

My personal favorites are the Hot Chic Floss (sa mga breads) and the Tiramisu (sa mga cakes).

I like the vegetarian pizza too.

Bilib ako sa iyo, CCL. Nakaubos ka pala ng ganung kadaming breads and cakes. Ako I had to give up after the Floss, the Pork Sisig, the Pork BBQ, the Double Dutch, and the pizza. I was so full I had to drink coffee at Seattle's Best afterwards.

btw... I got to speak with the BreadTalk Accounts Officer kahapon. She said Tim Yap decided to rename his bread to TIMnapay, instead of Twistedly Tim. Sayang I didn't get to try it. Parang ang sarap nung adobo with kesong puti and tomatoes *laway*

Balik tayo uli dun! :cool:

#38 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:53 AM

So will Tim Yap be writing about this event in his Inquirer column soon? :cool:

#39 abcdabcdph

abcdabcdph

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:16 PM

Guess what? They are in the process of opening their third store sometime in December. The location? . . . . In SM Megamall. I think they would like to try their hand in the mass market. :)

By the way, the name of their Managing Director is Winward, FYI :) and yes, he's the brother of Walden.

#40 ^ED^GE^

^ED^GE^

RaZorS EdGE

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:art, music, life and sex... lahat kasi nag lagay eh might as well have SEX!

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:20 PM

mukhang wala na masyado kumakain ngayun... i think nag sawa na lahat... after all who can live on bread alone..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users