442 replies to this topic

#41 hitman531ph

hitman531ph

Retired Clubman

• Ambassador
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

MARIAH CAREY

The best-selling female performer of the 1990s, Mariah Carey rose to superstardom on the strength of her stunning five-octave voice; an elastic talent who moved easily from glossy ballads to hip-hop-inspired dance-pop, she earned frequent comparison to rivals Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, but did them both one better by composing all of her own material. Born in Long Island, NY, on March 27, 1970, Carey moved to New York City at the age of 17 -- just one day after graduating high school -- to pursue a music career; there she befriended keyboardist Ben Margulies, with whom she began writing songs. Her big break came as a backing vocalist on a studio session with dance-pop singer Brenda K. Starr, who handed Carey's demo tape to Columbia Records head Tommy Mottola at a party. According to legend, Mottola listened to the tape in his limo while driving home that same evening, and was so immediately struck by Carey's talent that he doubled back to the party to track her down.
After signing to Columbia, Carey entered the studio to begin work on her 1990 self-titled debut LP; the heavily promoted album was a chart-topping smash, launching no less than four number one singles: "Vision of Love," "Love Takes Time," "Someday," and "I Don't Wanna Cry." Her overnight success earned Grammy awards as Best New Artist and Best Female Vocalist, and expectations were high for Carey's follow-up, 1991's Emotions. The album did not disappoint, as the title track reached number one -- a record fifth consecutive chart-topper -- while both "Can't Let Go" and "Make It Happen" landed in the Top Five. Carey's next release was 1992's MTV Unplugged EP, which generated a number-one cover of the Jackson 5's "I'll Be There"; featured on the track was backup singer Trey Lorenz, whose appearance immediately helped him land a recording contract of his own.

In June 1993, Carey wed Mottola -- some two decades her senior -- in a headline-grabbing ceremony; months later she released her third full-length effort, Music Box, her best-selling record to date. Two more singles, "Dreamlover" and "Hero," reached the top spot on the charts. Carey's first tour followed and was widely panned by critics; undaunted, she resurfaced in 1994 with a holiday release titled Merry Christmas, scoring a seasonal smash with "All I Want for Christmas Is You." 1995's Daydream reflected a new artistic maturity; the first single, "Fantasy," debuted at number one, making Carey the first female artist and just the second performer ever to accomplish the feat. The follow-up, "One Sweet Day" -- a collaboration with Boyz II Men -- repeated the trick, and remained lodged at the top of the charts for a record 16 weeks.

After separating from Mottola, Carey returned in 1997 with Butterfly, another staggering success and her most hip-hop-flavored recording to date. #1's -- a collection featuring her 13 previous chart-topping singles as well as "The Prince of Egypt (When You Believe)," a duet with Whitney Houston effectively pairing the two most successful female recording artists in pop history -- followed late the next year. With "Heartbreaker," the first single from her 1999 album Rainbow, Carey became the first artist to top the charts in each year of the 1990s; the record also pushed her ahead of the Beatles as the artist with the most cumulative weeks spent atop the Hot 100 singles chart.

However, the 2000s weren't as kind to Carey. After signing an 80 million dollar deal with Virgin -- the biggest record contract ever -- in 2001 she experienced a very public personal and professional meltdown that included rambling, suicidal messages on her website; an appearance on TRL where, clad only in a T-shirt, she handed out Popsicles to the audience; and last but not least, the stupendously awful movie Glitter and its attendant soundtrack (which was also her Virgin Records debut). Both the film and the album did poorly critically as well as commercially, with Glitter making just under 4 million dollars in its total U.S. gross and the soundtrack struggling to make gold sales. Following these failures, Virgin and Carey parted ways early in 2002, with the label paying her 28 million dollars. That spring, she found a new home with Island/Def Jam, where she set up her own label, MonarC Music. In December, she released her ninth album, Charmbracelet. The album did not have the success of past albums. The album was a disappointment in commercial success.

2005 marked another milestone for Carey. Her album, The Emancipation of Mimi, chalked up four hits that went to the top of the charts or near the top of the charts. The album garnered her several nominations in the Grammy Awards in 2006.

Attached Files

• Attached File  mc.jpg   24.18KB   0 downloads

#42 mr_goblin

mr_goblin

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

ENIGMA

Enigma is the duo of Michael Cretu and Sandra Lauer.  German singer Sandra Lauer did the female vocals in the songs of Enigma.  Romanian-born Michael Cretu did the production work.  Eventually, Michael Cretu married Sandra Lauer.

Michael Cretu came out in the 80s with one minor hit in Europe and the Philippines called "Love Me", but largely ignored elsewhere.

Michael Cretu, who had classical music training in his youth, decided to adapt a different concept and came up with a unique project that became Enigma.  Virgin Records signed them up and the first Enigma album surfaced in late 1990 called "MCMXC aD"

With their 1991 hit "Sadeness," Enigma brought the new age fascination with Gregorian chants and old-world culture to the clubs; the resulting single was both unique and irresistible. The rest of the album followed that pattern successfully, although without quite matching the stunning success of the hit single. On their second album, 1993's Cross of Changes, some of the old-world elements remained, but the new age angle came to the forefront in a set of slick, radio-friendly dance-pop. The album churned out a second international hit "Return to Innocence" with a music video featuring everything backwards.  Enigma 3: Le Roi Est Mort, Vive le Roi followed in 1996. A side project, Trance Atlantic Airwaves, issued The Energy of Sound in 1998. The fourth Enigma record, The Screen Behind the Mirror, followed in early 2000.

Enigma's music is very much in use in nightclubs.  Aside from "Sadeness" and "Return to Innocence", songs like "Principles of Lust", "Mea Culpa" and "Moment of Peace" are familiar tunes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

moment of peace is not by enigma.thats gregorian masters of chant

#43 orionpax

orionpax

Autobot Leader

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,463 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:26 AM

The movie "Singles" depicts the 90's sound :D

#44 novocaine

novocaine

you are not a slave

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:vinylforever

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

sit back have a beer. the music is on us. slack is good

Attached Files

• Attached File  4.jpg   16.41KB   0 downloads

#45 KayaK

KayaK

Poctoy Cowboy

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:57 AM

90s music for me would be:

Gin Blossoms
Wilson Philips
Jon Secada
Indecent Obssession

#46 Karma Policeman

Karma Policeman

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Books, TV, Music, Internet at PC Games.<br /><br />I'm a freelance writer so PM me if you have a writing job available.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:43 PM

Ok Computer by Radiohead is the best Album of this Era in my opinion. Pero paborito ko pa rin sa mga album nila is yung The Bends.

#47 hitman531ph

hitman531ph

Retired Clubman

• Ambassador
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES

Pioneers of the London acid jazz scene, the Brand New Heavies translated their love for the funk grooves of the 1970s into a sophisticated sound which carried the torch for classic soul in an era dominated by hip-hop. Formed in 1985 by drummer/keyboardist Jan Kincaid, guitarist Simon Bartholomew, and bassist/keyboardist Andrew Levy -- longtime school friends from the London suburb of Ealing -- the Brand New Heavies were originally an instrumental unit inspired by the James Brown and Meters records its members heard while clubbing the rare groove scene in vogue at the moment. The trio soon began recording their own music, gaining enormous exposure when their demo tracks were spun at the influential Cat in the Hat Club.

Eventually adding a brass section, the Brand New Heavies built a cult following throughout the London club circuit, surviving the shift which saw the rare groove scene fade in the wake of acid house. After an earlier recording deal with Cooltempo yielded the single "Got to Give," the Heavies -- now including vocalist Jay Ella Ruth -- signed with the fledgling indie label Acid Jazz; recorded on a budget of just 8,000 pounds, the group's self-titled LP appeared in 1990 to strong critical acclaim, resulting in a licensing deal with the American company Delicious Vinyl. With Ruth now out of the band, Delicious Vinyl hand-picked N'dea Davenport as her successor, insisting the Heavies re-record tracks from their debut for their first U.S. effort, also an eponymous release which appeared in 1992.

After scoring at home with "Dream Come True" and "Stay This Way," the single "Never Stop" soon landed on the American R&B and pop charts, with the Heavies the first British group to accomplish such a feat with a debut single since Soul II Soul several years earlier; a subsequent New York performance augmented by rappers Q-Tip (A Tribe Called Quest) and MC Serch (3rd Bass) inspired the group to begin absorbing hip-hop, and that summer they cut Heavy Rhyme Experience, Vol. 1, an album including guest appearances by rappers including Main Source, Gang Starr, Grand Puba, and the Pharcyde. 1994's Brother Sister, which went platinum in Britain, was Davenport's last recording with the Heavies before beginning a solo career; she was replaced by singer Siedah Garrett in time for 1997's Shelter. Two years later, the group reappeared with a British best-of album entitled Trunk Funk: The Best of the Brand New Heavies; the title was recycled the following year for an American compilation, Trunk Funk Classics 1991-2000, which featured a new song recorded with Davenport.

Stay This Way

Attached Files

#48 chopst1ck

chopst1ck

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:51 PM

bands that made their mark during the 90's -- alice in chians, nirvana, oasis, radiohead, sonic youth, soundgarden, rage against the machine, pearl jam, silver chair, bush, green day, metallica, blind melon, spin doctors, counting crows, collective soul, days of the new, dave matthews band, isip pa ko!

opm bands during the 90's -- eraserheads, yano, worlfgang, razorback, datu's tribe, the weed, the youth, grin department, color it red, orient pearl, alamid, sky church, agaw agimat, rivermaya, parokya ni edgar, pot, tropical depression, sugar hiccup, backdraft, advent call, tame the tikbalang, true faith, death by stereo, mariyas mistress, put3ska, rizal underground, i axe, isip pa ulit ako!

Edited by chopst1ck, 06 July 2006 - 08:53 PM.

#49 Kurtsky Keigee

Kurtsky Keigee

Kid at Heart

• (01) Lurker
  • 10,407 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

E heads padin best of 90's

#50 hitman531ph

hitman531ph

Retired Clubman

• Ambassador
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

The Number 1 hits of the 1990s based on Billboard Magazine's charts:

December 23, 1989 - January 13, 1990: Another Day In Paradise - Phil Collins
January 20 - February 9: How Am I Supposed To Live Without You - Michael Bolton
February 10 - March 2: Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
March 3 - March 23: Escapade - Janet Jackson
March 24 - April 6: Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
April 7 - April 13: Love Will Lead You Back - Taylor Dayne
April 14 - April 20: I'll Be Your Everything - Tommy Page
April 21 - May 18: Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
May 19 - June 8: Vogue - Madonna
June 9 - June 15: Hold On - Wilson Phillips
June 16 - June 29: It Must Have Been Love - Roxette
June 30 - July 21: Step by Step - New Kids on the Block
July 21 - August 3: She Ain't Worth It - Glenn Medeiros featuring Bobby Brown
August 4 - August 31: Vision of Love - Mariah Carey
September 1 - September 7: If Wishes Came True - Sweet Sensation
September 8 - September 14: Blaze of Glory Jon - Bon Jovi
September 15 - September 29: Release Me - Wilson Phillips
September 29 - October 5: (I Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection - Nelson
October 6 - October 12 - Close to You - Maxi Priest
October 13 - October 19: Praying for Time - George Michael
October 20 - October 26: I Don't Have the Heart - James Ingram
October 27 - November 2: Black Cat - Janet Jackson
November 3 - November 9: Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
November 10 - November 30: Love Takes Time - Mariah Carey
December 1 - December 7: I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston
December 8, 1990 - January 4, 1991: Because I Love You (The Postman Song) - Stevie B

December 8, 1990 - January 4, 1991: Because I Love You (The Postman Song) - Stevie B
January 5 - January 18: Justify My Love - Madonna
January 19 January 25: Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson
January 26 - February 8: The First Time - Surface
February 9 - February 22: Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory featuring Freedom Williams
February 23 - March 8: All the Man That I Need - Whitney Houston
March 9 - March 23: Someday - Mariah Carey
March 23 - March 29: One More Try - Timmy T.
March 30 - April 12: Coming out of the Dark - Gloria Estefan
April 13 - April 19: I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat
April 20 - April 26: You're in Love - Wilson Phillips
April 27 - May 10: Baby Baby - Amy Grant
May 11 - May 17: Joyride - Roxette
May 18 - May 24: I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) - Hi-Five
May 25 - June 7: I Don't Wanna Cry - Mariah Carey
June 8 - June 14: More Than Words - Extreme
June 15 - July 19: Rush, Rush - Paula Abdul
July 20 - July 26: Unbelievable - EMF
July 27 - September 23: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You - Bryan Adams
September 14 - September 20: The Promise of a New Day - Paula Abdul
September 21 - October 4: I Adore Mi Amor - Color Me Badd
October 5 - October 11: Good Vibrations - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway
October 12 - November 1: Emotions - Mariah Carey
November 2 - November 8: Romantic - Karyn White
November 9 - November 22: Cream - Prince & the New Power Generation
November 23 - November 29: When a Man Loves a Woman - Michael Bolton
November 30 - December 6: Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
December 7, 1991- January 24, 1992: Black Or White - Michael Jackson

January 25 - January 31: All 4 Love - Color Me Badd
February 1 - February 7: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael/Elton John
February 8 - February 28: I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
February 29 - March 20: To Be With You - Mr. Big
March 21 - April 24: Save the Best For Last - Vanessa Williams
April 25 - June 19: Jump - Kris Kross
June 20 -July 3: I'll Be There - Mariah Carey
July 4 - August 7: Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot
August 8 - August 14: This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna
August 15 - November 13: End of the Road - Boyz II Men
November 14 - November 28: How Do You Talk To An Angel - The Heights
November 29, 1992 - March 5, 1993: I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston

March 6 - March 12: A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) - Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle
March 13 - April 30: Informer - Snow
May 1 - May 14: Freak Me - Silk
May 15 - July 9: That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson
July 10 - July 23: Weak - SWV (Sisters With Voices)
July 24 - September 11: I Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40
September 11 - November 5: Dreamlover - Mariah Carey
November 6 - December 10: I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf
December 11 - December 24: Again - Janet Jackson
December 25 - January 21: Hero - Mariah Carey

January 22 - February 11: All For Love - Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart/Sting
February 12 - March 11: Power of Love - CÚline Dion
March 12 - April 15: The Sign - Ace of Base
April 16 - May 20: Bump N' Grind - R. Kelly
May 21 - August 5: I Swear - All-4-One
August 6 - August 26: Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
August 27 - December 2: I'll Make Love To You - Boyz II Men
December 3, 1994 - January 13, 1995: On Bended Knee - Boyz II Men

January 14 - January 27: Here Comes the Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
January 28 - February 24: Creep - TLC
February 25 - April 14: Take A Bow - Madonna
April 15 - June 2: This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
June 3 - July 7: Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - Bryan Adams
July 8 - August 25: Waterfalls - TLC
August 26 - September 1: Kiss From A Rose - Seal
September 2 - September 8: You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
September 9 - September 29: Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
September 30 - November 24: Fantasy - Mariah Carey
November 25 - December 1: Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - Whitney Houston
December 2, 1995 - March 22, 1996: One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men

March 23 - May 3: Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
May 4 - May 17: Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey
May 18 - July 12: Tha Crossroads - Bone Thugs N Harmony
July 13 - July 26: How Do U Want It - 2Pac featuring K-Ci and JoJo
July 27 - August 2: You're Makin' Me High - Toni Braxton
August 3 - November 9: Macarena (bayside boys remix) -Los Del Rio
November 9 - December 6: No Diggity - Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre
December 7, 1996 - February 21, 1997: Un-Break My Heart - Toni Braxton

February 22 - May 21: Wannabe - Spice Girls
March 22 - May 2: Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - Puff Daddy and Mase
May 3 - May 23: Hypnotize The Notorious B.I.G.
May 24 - June 13: MMMBop - Hanson
June 14 - August 30: I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy/Faith Evans/112
August 30 - September 12: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Puff Daddy and Mase
September 13 - October 3: Honey - Mariah Carey
October 4 - October 10: 4 Seasons of Loneliness - Boyz II Men
October 11 - January 16, 1998: Candle In The Wind 1997 - Elton John

January 17 - January 30: Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden
January 31 - February 13: Together Again - Janet Jackson
February 14 - February 27: Nice & Slow - Usher
February 28 - March 13: My Heart Will Go On - CÚline Dion
March 14 - April 3: Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It - Will Smith
April 4 - April 24: All My Life - K-ci and JoJo
April 25 - May 29: Too Close - Next
May 30 - June 5: My All - Mariah Carey
June 6 - September 4: The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica
September 5 - October 2: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
October 3 - November 6: The First Night - Monica
November 7 - November 13: One Week - Barenaked Ladies
November 14 - November 27: Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
November 28- December 4: Lately - Divine
December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel R. Kelly & CÚline Dion

December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel - R. Kelly & CÚline Dion
January 16 - January 29: Have You Ever - Brandy
January 30 - February 7: ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
February 13 - March 12: Angel Of Mine - Monica
March 13 - April 9: Believe - Cher
April 10 - May 7: No Scrubs - TLC
May 8 - June 4: Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
June 5 - July 16: If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
July 17 - July 23: Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
July 24 - July 30: Wild Wild West - Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee
July 31 - September 3: Genie In A Bottle - Christina Aguilera
September 4 - September 17: Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias
September 18 - October 8: Unpretty - TLC
October 9 - October 22: Heartbreaker - Mariah Carey featuring Jay-Z
October 23, 1999- January 14, 2000: Smooth - Santana featuring Rob Thomas

Edited by hitman531ph, 14 March 2007 - 07:15 PM.

#51 Karma Policeman

Karma Policeman

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Books, TV, Music, Internet at PC Games.<br /><br />I'm a freelance writer so PM me if you have a writing job available.

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

Dishwalla rin pala isa pang panalong banda galing ng 90's.

#52 hitman531ph

hitman531ph

Retired Clubman

• Ambassador
  • 17,321 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Dance Hits of the 90s:

Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite
Everybody Dance Now (Gonna Make You Sweat) - C & C Music Factory
Wiggle It - 2 In A Room
Everybody, Everybody - Black Box
I Don't Know Anybody Else - Black Box
Strike It Up - Black Box
Touch Me (All Night Long) - Cathy Dennis
Finally - CeCe Peniston
We Got A Love Thang - CeCe Peniston
I've Been Thinking About You - Culture Beat
I Wanna Give You Devotion - Nomad
People Are Still Having Sex - LaTour
Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) - Crystal Waters
Makin' Happy - Crystal Waters
In De Ghetto - Crystal Waters
Relax - Crystal Waters
100% Pure Love - Crystal Waters
Say If You Feel Alright - Crystal Waters
3 AM Eternal - KLF
Gonna Catch You - Lonnie Gordon
Just A Touch Of Love - C & C Music Factory
A Deeper Love - Clivilles & Cole featuring Aretha Franklin
Rhythm Is A Dancer - Snap!
Everybody's Free (To Feel Good) - Rozalla
It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day - The S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. Featuring Michelle Visage
Show Me Love - Robin S.
Love For Love - Robin S.
I'm Gonna Get You - Bizarre Inc, featuring Angie Brown
Love U More - Sunscreem
Fever - Madonna
I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston
Happenin' All Over Again - Lonnie Gordon
I Love Music - Rozalla
Turn The Beat Around - Gloria Estefan
The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind) - The Bucketheads
Be My Lover - La Bouche
Beautiful Life - Ace Of Base
Children - Robert Miles
Wrong - Everything But The Girl
Missing - Everything But The Girl
You Don't Know Me - Armand Van Helden
The Funk Phenomenon - Armand Van Helden
Professional Widow - Tori Amos
That Sound - Pump Friction
Music Sounds Better With You - Stardust
Plastic Dreams - Jaydee
Insomnia - Faithless
God Is A DJ - Faithless
Push The Feeling On - Nightcrawlers
Can't Get High Without You - Joey Negro featuring Taka Boom
Free - Ultra Nate
Encore Une Fois - Sash!
Believe - Cher
Needin' U - David Morales featuring The Face
Alarma - 666
Amokk - 666
Around The World - Daft Punk
Excited - M People
Movin' On Up - M People
One Night In Heaven - M People
Testify - M People
Sing It Back - Moloko
He's All I Want - Angelmoon [Lead Vocals by Moony]
Big Love - Pete Heller
Red alert - Basement Jaxx
Five Fathoms (Love More) - Everything But The Girl
Waiting For Tonight - Jennifer Lopez
Get Get Down - Paul Johnson
Stomp To The Beat - JS16

#53 dencio

dencio

Solo Flyer

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

:cool:

Thanks, Hitman!

#54 bikerider

bikerider

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

great list there. mr. hitman.

thanks.

#55 gary_gnu

gary_gnu

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:57 PM

Dance Hits of the 90s:

God Is A DJ - Faithless
Stomp To The Beat - JS16

hitman,

Londonbeat released a hit song with the same title in the early 90's...are they the same band?

thanks.

#56 Larry

Larry

oderint dum metuant

• (11) Wyld
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

the 90s IMO was the best decade for music, in terms of the influence it has had on the sound that we hear now. It brought on a new sound and attitude that the 80s didn't have.

Rap - NWA, Eazy E, Ice Cube et al paved the way for gangsta rap, and the sound of 50 cent et al. Not to mention the other great hip hop acts of that time. Naughty by Nature, Wu Tang Clan, Snoop Dogg, Beastie Boys,

Rock - ushered in the era of flannel and more importantly the grunge r seattle sound. Metal also had it's heyday during the 90s with bands like Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Testament moving to the forefront. It saw the birth of industrial music ala NIN. Also the start of the great bands of today like Tool, Rage Against The Machine, Incubus, were in the 90s. Even Emo started in the 90s with Jimmy Eat World.

Electronic - the 90s saw the start of a new revolution in dance and electronic music, house started gaining prominence, then there was trance, Goldie, BT and the other great DJs, house music artists, all got their start in the 90s. Films like trainspotting, The Beach and the jackal, all contributed to the electronic music surge of the 90s. A now familiar genre, chill out, was born in the 90s with the cafe del mar series.

Pop - don't really care much for pop

#57 bikerider

bikerider

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • 558 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:35 PM

here's a list of great 90's driving music

runaway - janet jackson
what's up - 4 non blondes
smells like teen spirit - nirvana
gonna make you sweat - C&C music factory
hey - fatima rainey
all around the world - lisa stansfield (not sure if 80s or 90s)
too close - next
show me love - robyn
damn i wish i was your lover - sophie b hawkins
as i lay me down - sophie b hawkins
frozen - madonna
believe - cher
so young - the corrs
ordinary world - duran duran
cats in the cradle - ugly kid joe
kiss from a rose - seal
ironic - alanis morisette
missing - everything but the girl
two princes - spin doctors
waterfalls - tlc

#58 dj_flip03

dj_flip03

cAndYfLipPed!!!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,356 posts
  • Interests:anything intersting

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:35 PM

Lemme add two more dance hit:

Come And Get Your Love - The Real McCoy

Love You More - Sunscream

#59 dj_flip03

dj_flip03

cAndYfLipPed!!!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:37 PM

The Number 1 hits of the 1990s based on Billboard Magazine's charts:

December 23, 1989 - January 13, 1990: Another Day In Paradise - Phil Collins
January 20 - February 9: How Am I Supposed To Live Without You - Michael Bolton
February 10 - March 2: Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul with The Wild Pair
March 3 - March 23: Escapade - Janet Jackson
March 24 - April 6: Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
April 7 - April 13: Love Will Lead You Back - Taylor Dayne
April 14 - April 20: I'll Be Your Everything - Tommy Page
April 21 - May 18: Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
May 19 - June 8: Vogue - Madonna
June 9 - June 15: Hold On - Wilson Phillips
June 16 - June 29: It Must Have Been Love - Roxette
June 30 - July 21: Step by Step - New Kids on the Block
July 21 - August 3: She Ain't Worth It - Glenn Medeiros featuring Bobby Brown
August 4 - August 31: Vision of Love - Mariah Carey
September 1 - September 7: If Wishes Came True - Sweet Sensation
September 8 - September 14: Blaze of Glory Jon - Bon Jovi
September 15 - September 29: Release Me - Wilson Phillips
September 29 - October 5: (I Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection - Nelson
October 6 - October 12 - Close to You - Maxi Priest
October 13 - October 19: Praying for Time - George Michael
October 20 - October 26: I Don't Have the Heart - James Ingram
October 27 - November 2: Black Cat - Janet Jackson
November 3 - November 9: Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
November 10 - November 30: Love Takes Time - Mariah Carey
December 1 - December 7: I'm Your Baby Tonight - Whitney Houston

January 5 - January 18: Justify My Love - Madonna
January 19 January 25: Love Will Never Do (Without You) - Janet Jackson
January 26 - February 8: The First Time - Surface
February 9 - February 22: Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) - C&C Music Factory featuring Freedom Williams
February 23 - March 8: All the Man That I Need - Whitney Houston
March 9 - March 23: Someday - Mariah Carey
March 23 - March 29: One More Try - Timmy T.
March 30 - April 12: Coming out of the Dark - Gloria Estefan
April 13 - April 19: I've Been Thinking About You - Londonbeat
April 20 - April 26: You're in Love - Wilson Phillips
April 27 - May 10: Baby Baby - Amy Grant
May 11 - May 17: Joyride - Roxette
May 18 - May 24: I Like the Way (The Kissing Game) - Hi-Five
May 25 - June 7: I Don't Wanna Cry - Mariah Carey
June 8 - June 14: More Than Words - Extreme
June 15 - July 19: Rush, Rush - Paula Abdul
July 20 - July 26: Unbelievable - EMF
July 27 - September 23: (Everything I Do) I Do It for You - Bryan Adams
September 14 - September 20: The Promise of a New Day - Paula Abdul
September 21 - October 4: I Adore Mi Amor - Color Me Badd
October 5 - October 11: Good Vibrations - Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch featuring Loleatta Holloway
October 12 - November 1: Emotions - Mariah Carey
November 2 - November 8: Romantic - Karyn White
November 9 - November 22: Cream - Prince & the New Power Generation
November 23 - November 29: When a Man Loves a Woman - Michael Bolton
November 30 - December 6: Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn

January 25 - January 31: All 4 Love - Color Me Badd
February 1 - February 7: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me - George Michael/Elton John
February 8 - February 28: I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
February 29 - March 20: To Be With You - Mr. Big
March 21 - April 24: Save the Best For Last - Vanessa Williams
April 25 - June 19: Jump - Kris Kross
June 20 -July 3: I'll Be There - Mariah Carey
July 4 - August 7: Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot
August 8 - August 14: This Used To Be My Playground - Madonna
August 15 - November 13: End of the Road - Boyz II Men
November 14 - November 28: How Do You Talk To An Angel - The Heights

March 6 - March 12: A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) - Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle
March 13 - April 30: Informer - Snow
May 1 - May 14: Freak Me - Silk
May 15 - July 9: That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson
July 10 - July 23: Weak - SWV (Sisters With Voices)
July 24 - September 11: I Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40
September 11 - November 5: Dreamlover - Mariah Carey
November 6 - December 10: I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf
December 11 - December 24: Again - Janet Jackson

January 22 - February 11: All For Love - Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart/Sting
February 12 - March 11: Power of Love - CÚline Dion
March 12 - April 15: The Sign - Ace of Base
April 16 - May 20: Bump N' Grind - R. Kelly
May 21 - August 5: I Swear - All-4-One
August 6 - August 26: Stay (I Missed You) - Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
August 27 - December 2: I'll Make Love To You - Boyz II Men

January 14 - January 27: Here Comes the Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
January 28 - February 24: Creep - TLC
February 25 - April 14: Take A Bow - Madonna
April 15 - June 2: This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
June 3 - July 7: Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman - Bryan Adams
July 8 - August 25: Waterfalls - TLC
August 26 - September 1: Kiss From A Rose - Seal
September 2 - September 8: You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
September 9 - September 29: Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio
September 30 - November 24: Fantasy - Mariah Carey
November 25 - December 1: Exhale (Shoop Shoop) - Whitney Houston

March 23 - May 3: Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
May 4 - May 17: Always Be My Baby - Mariah Carey
May 18 - July 12: Tha Crossroads - Bone Thugs N Harmony
July 13 - July 26: How Do U Want It - 2Pac featuring K-Ci and JoJo
July 27 - August 2: You're Makin' Me High - Toni Braxton
August 3 - November 9: Macarena (bayside boys remix) -Los Del Rio
November 9 - December 6: No Diggity - Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre

February 22 - May 21: Wannabe - Spice Girls
March 22 - May 2: Can't Nobody Hold Me Down - Puff Daddy and Mase
May 3 - May 23: Hypnotize The Notorious B.I.G.
May 24 - June 13: MMMBop - Hanson
June 14 - August 30: I'll Be Missing You - Puff Daddy/Faith Evans/112
August 30 - September 12: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems - The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Puff Daddy and Mase
September 13 - October 3: Honey - Mariah Carey
October 4 - October 10: 4 Seasons of Loneliness - Boyz II Men

January 17 - January 30: Truly Madly Deeply - Savage Garden
January 31 - February 13: Together Again - Janet Jackson
February 14 - February 27: Nice & Slow - Usher
February 28 - March 13: My Heart Will Go On - CÚline Dion
March 14 - April 3: Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It - Will Smith
April 4 - April 24: All My Life - K-ci and JoJo
April 25 - May 29: Too Close - Next
May 30 - June 5: My All - Mariah Carey
June 6 - September 4: The Boy Is Mine - Brandy & Monica
September 5 - October 2: I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
October 3 - November 6: The First Night - Monica
November 7 - November 13: One Week - Barenaked Ladies
November 14 - November 27: Doo Wop (That Thing) - Lauryn Hill
November 28- December 4: Lately - Divine
December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel R. Kelly & CÚline Dion

December 5 - January 15: I'm Your Angel - R. Kelly & CÚline Dion
January 16 - January 29: Have You Ever - Brandy
January 30 - February 7: ...Baby One More Time - Britney Spears
February 13 - March 12: Angel Of Mine - Monica
March 13 - April 9: Believe - Cher
April 10 - May 7: No Scrubs - TLC
May 8 - June 4: Livin' La Vida Loca - Ricky Martin
June 5 - July 16: If You Had My Love - Jennifer Lopez
July 17 - July 23: Bills, Bills, Bills - Destiny's Child
July 24 - July 30: Wild Wild West - Will Smith featuring Dru Hill and Kool Moe Dee
July 31 - September 3: Genie In A Bottle - Christina Aguilera
September 4 - September 17: Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias
September 18 - October 8: Unpretty - TLC
October 9 - October 22: Heartbreaker - Mariah Carey featuring Jay-Z
October 23, 1999- January 14, 2000: Smooth - Santana featuring Rob Thomas

Dance Hits of the 90s:

Everybody Dance Now (Gonna Make You Sweat) - C & C Music Factory
Wiggle It - 2 In A Room
Everybody, Everybody - Black Box
I Don't Know Anybody Else - Black Box
Strike It Up - Black Box
Touch Me (All Night Long) - Cathy Dennis
Finally - CeCe Peniston
We Got A Love Thang - CeCe Peniston
I Wanna Give You Devotion - Nomad
People Are Still Having Sex - LaTour
Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) - Crystal Waters
Makin' Happy - Crystal Waters
In De Ghetto - Crystal Waters
Relax - Crystal Waters
100% Pure Love - Crystal Waters
Say If You Feel Alright - Crystal Waters
3 AM Eternal - KLF
Gonna Catch You - Lonnie Gordon
Just A Touch Of Love - C & C Music Factory
A Deeper Love - Clivilles & Cole featuring Aretha Franklin
Rhythm Is A Dancer - Snap!
Everybody's Free (To Feel Good) - Rozalla
It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day - The S.O.U.L. S.Y.S.T.E.M. Featuring Michelle Visage
Show Me Love - Robin S.
Love For Love - Robin S.
I'm Gonna Get You - Bizarre Inc, featuring Angie Brown
Love U More - Sunscreem
Fever - Madonna
I'm Every Woman - Whitney Houston
Happenin' All Over Again - Lonnie Gordon
I Love Music - Rozalla
Turn The Beat Around - Gloria Estefan
The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall Into My Mind) - The Bucketheads
Be My Lover - La Bouche
Beautiful Life - Ace Of Base
Children - Robert Miles
Wrong - Everything But The Girl
Missing - Everything But The Girl
You Don't Know Me - Armand Van Helden
The Funk Phenomenon - Armand Van Helden
Professional Widow - Tori Amos
That Sound - Pump Friction
Music Sounds Better With You - Stardust
Plastic Dreams - Jaydee
Insomnia - Faithless
God Is A DJ - Faithless
Push The Feeling On - Nightcrawlers
Can't Get High Without You - Joey Negro featuring Taka Boom
Free - Ultra Nate
Encore Une Fois - Sash!
Believe - Cher
Needin' U - David Morales featuring The Face
Alarma - 666
Amokk - 666
Around The World - Daft Punk
Excited - M People
Movin' On Up - M People
One Night In Heaven - M People
Testify - M People
Sing It Back - Moloko
He's All I Want - Angelmoon [Lead Vocals by Moony]
Big Love - Pete Heller
Red alert - Basement Jaxx
Five Fathoms (Love More) - Everything But The Girl
Waiting For Tonight - Jennifer Lopez
Get Get Down - Paul Johnson
Stomp To The Beat - JS16

HOLY $#iT!!!! Just exactly what I need. A list of 90's hits for my IPOD (cant remember the rest kasi eh). Thanks, bro!!!

#60 dj_flip03

dj_flip03

cAndYfLipPed!!!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Reading from the posts here reminds me of the ff:

1. Jaloux / Equinox

2. Brannigan's / Reasons / Silhouette Tower

3. Red Rocks / Club Dredd / Atrium