• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#41 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12406 posts
  • Interests:music, travel lit, anything cerebral but i also get down and dirty.

Posted 27 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

pareng 16track check out the AA Thread. There's a poster there who says she's in a band that plays classic rock and blues. She posted where their gigs are...

:thumbsupsmiley:

#42 orionpax

orionpax

Autobot Leader

• (11) Wyld
  • 6463 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:23 PM

blues....wish SRV is still alive :D

#43 orionpax

orionpax

Autobot Leader

• (11) Wyld
  • 6463 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

#44 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1183 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 08:06 AM

Sigh,,,

SRV is one of a kind. Before he burst into the scene, Blues was kind of hibernating with no new artists making the grade and glam rock was lord of the charts. When he did come out into the open, the world first did not know what to think of this new hotshot who dressed in ponchos and hats and played while holding the guitar behind his head -ala Hendrix.

However, when the first notes of "Could'nt Stand the Weather" blasted out, people forgot all about the appaearnce and headed on to anyplace SRV played. The Blues was alive and well and this Texan carried the torch!

The list of hits followed one after the other... "COuld'nt Stand the Weather, CrossFire, Tightrope, Pride and Joy, The Sky is Crying, Open Arms, Life by the Drop, Texas Flood, Mary had alittel Lamb, Little Wing, Riviera Paradise and more.

SRV exploded into the scene and blues lovers had a new hero! The stinging tone, the heaviness of .13 gauge strings bending 1 1/2 steps, the rawness of the Marshall amps and Fender Amps Combined with an old battered Stratocaster and the skills and talents of a young blues guitarist who a had a story to tell... Well.. SRV had certainly arrived.

Let us pause to remember Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was born in Dallas and came out of obscurity to become one of the best blues guitarists ever. His unique playing style - which sometimes combines lead and rhythm - and his use of fat-gauge strings gave him one of the most distinctive voice in live and recorded blues history.

He first came to prominence when he was invited to play in the prestigious Montreaux Jazz Festival in 1982. What happened there brought much speculation but only served to enlarge his legend when viewed in retrospect. In his performance there, Stevie Ray was wildly booed and he left the stage after his set utterly bewildered and confused.

There are several versions on why Stevie Ray was booed. One is that the audience resented the presence and obvious skill of this heretofore unknown but brash blues guitarist from Texas. Another asserts that the blues purists in the audience were booing THAT part of the audience which were actually applauding Stevie Ray's performance. But I considered this firsthand account of someone who was actually in the audience. He says that Stevie RAy was being booed because Stevie Ray was playing too LOUD for the size of the venue! It appeared to this observer that Stevie Ray was quite "absorbed" in his playing that he was totally oblivious that he was playing way too loud. Of course, this was a nice way of saying that he was under the influence of those very same demons that would nearly ruin his career.

Despite several bestselling albums, Stevie RAy fell prey to alcoholism and drugs and at one time collapsed while on tour in Europe. He eventually went into rehab right after this and came out clean and produced several more good albums. But fate has a way of playing dirty tricks.

Today, fifteen years ago, Stevie Ray VAughan perished in a helicopter crash in Wisconsin right after doing a concert with Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, and Buddy Guy. He was 35 years of age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by 16track, 29 August 2005 - 08:07 AM.

#45 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1183 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

Bods!

If we can't get a venue to rent for Sept.9, let's just meet then at any of the sidewalk bars in ShangriLa Mall. Will that do for you guys?

:)

#46 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1183 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 10:47 AM

Just saw your post on this one bro.
Tried to check her out but it seems the AA thread get posts on a heavy basis as there's already too many pages to back read.

Sayang.

Closest I got to a blues session this week was a Blues Jam last weekend. Got some friends who brought in their friends to a private studio. What else could we do? Well we jammed for hours on Blues and Classic rock of course!

Regards!

pareng 16track check out the AA Thread. There's a poster there who says she's in a band that plays classic rock and blues. She posted where their gigs are...

:thumbsupsmiley:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#47 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:25 AM

Sigh,,,
SRV is one of a kind. Before he burst into the scene, Blues was kind of hibernating with no new artists making the grade and glam rock was lord of the charts. When he did come out into the open, the world first did not know what to think of this new hotshot who dressed in ponchos and hats and played while holding the guitar behind his head -ala Hendrix.

However, when the first notes of "Could'nt Stand the Weather" blasted out, people forgot all about the appaearnce and headed on to anyplace SRV played. The Blues was alive and well and this Texan carried the torch!

The list of hits followed one after the other... "COuld'nt Stand the Weather, CrossFire, Tightrope, Pride and Joy, The Sky is Crying, Open Arms, Life by the Drop, Texas Flood, Mary had  alittel Lamb, Little Wing, Riviera Paradise and more.

SRV exploded into the scene and blues lovers had a new hero! The stinging tone, the heaviness of .13 gauge strings bending 1  1/2 steps, the rawness of the Marshall amps and Fender Amps Combined with an old battered Stratocaster and the skills and talents of a young blues guitarist who a had a story to tell... Well.. SRV had certainly arrived.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

right on pare!
his Strat, which he called "Number One", is rumored to be buried with him in Texas.

After the British wave of blues players like Clapton, Peter Green and others burst into the scene, it was blues players like SRV and Robert Cray who have drawn a new generation of listeners to the blues. But SRV had much more of an impact because he was really way too talented. It was Stevie Ray and his blues that made me aware again of the music way back in the 80's. When I saw a new and unsealed copy of his TEXAS FLOOD LP in Makati Square more than ten years ago (imported at that) I did not hesitate to shell out P500 for it - which was big money at the time :P In hindsight I now realize what a bargain I had for such a rare commodity as a Stevie Ray vinyl.

#48 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:38 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes, what a loss....

If Stevie Ray were alive today, he would only have been 50 years old. Still too young. Too think that Clapton is 60 and still touring and making records every year and now doing what he likes to do best - that is, return to his roots and play the blues.

Peter Green is 59 and has gone to hell and back. When he went off the deep end at the height of his musical prowess in the early 70's, gave away all his money, shucked off the trappings of a musician, and went on to become a gravedigger - of all things! - nobody ever imagined that he would come back
and record again.

Robben Ford - also a great favorite of mine - is already 54, and to think that it seemed he was only 18 years old yesterday when Miles Davis lamented Robben's last gig with their group. Miles Davis reportedly said, "I feel sad, man. I feel like I did when Coltrane left the group."

#49 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:44 AM

Bods!

If we can't get a venue to rent for Sept.9, let's just meet then at any of the sidewalk bars in ShangriLa Mall. Will that do for you guys?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fine with me, pare. No problem!
As long as it's a place where we can drink, it's ok with me :P
yun nga lang we can't get to listen to the blues while drinking, but at least I can finally get that burned copy you promised :lol:

pare if you still have a working cassette player, I can do copies for you of some of my LP's hehehe

cheers!

#50 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:49 AM

speaking of Peter Green, there's talk that the old Fleetwood Mac - that's pre-Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham, will regroup for a tour! Now that would be one hell of a comeback, I should say! If Cream re-formed for a one-night benefit gig earlier this year, I don't see why Fleetwood Mac won't do the same. With Mick Fleetwood on drums and John McVie on bass, and I do hope they also can have Jeremy Spencer on the other guitar, that would be a reunion for the ages...

I got hold of the Peter Green Splinter Group album (a 2003 CD), Reaching the Cold 100 . It's Peter Green's second outing with the group and while this is supposedly better than their first, I'd say it sounds so well-mannered and workmanlike. The blues songs are serviceable; Peter Green's voice has now reached that soaked-whiskey stage and the guitarwork never reaches what you would call impressive. There's talk that it is not Peter Green who does the guitar leads there - the way it sounds - but the other guitarist Nigel Watson - but nobody can really tell. What is curious is that not one song in the album is composed by Green - he continues a tradition which he has upheld since coming back.

What is remarkable about the album, and the only reason you should get it, is the bonus CD which contains reworked versions of his old classics - Black Magic Woman, The Green Manalishi, It Takes Time, and Albatross. These 4 cuts sounds so different and waaaaay too much better than the rest of the album that it jolts you to remember what greatness Peter Green was capable of. Great, great, great!

In this new version of Black Magic Woman, Peter Green surprisingly appropriates the Latin idiom that Carlos Santana has successfully woven into the song and for several bars into the first solo, you would think it was Santana playing. But Green somehow turns the lead around and really makes it his own. Green really cuts loose on Otis Rush' It Takes Time - his slow, tasteful, delightful solo where he hits all the right notes would make you believe that Eric Clapton copied his way of playing. The ethereal, spacious voids in The Green Manalishi reminds you what talent Peter Green laid to ground with his mysterious disappearance. All in all, these 4 songs save the album.

Was it BB King who saw a live perfomance of Peter Green back in the 60's when Green replaced Clapton as guitarist in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and was blown away by what he saw?

Edited by bods1000, 01 September 2005 - 02:13 AM.

#51 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 02:22 AM

Just saw your post on this one bro.
Tried to check her out but it seems the AA thread get posts on a heavy basis as there's already too many pages to back read.

Sayang.

Closest I got to a blues session this week was a Blues Jam last weekend. Got some friends who brought in their friends to a private studio. What else could we do? Well we jammed for hours on Blues and Classic rock of course!

Regards!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahaha sorry about that, pare. I think it was on page 66 or something - I read it last Saturday.
Her band is called Free Beer and they had I think a gig last August 30 and another one on Sept 1 at a place in Adriatico - I can't recall the name. Anyway I do hope they have more shows as it is impossible for me to catch them tonight. Her avatar is Janis Joplin - does she do Joplin? :unsure:

wow sayang I wish I could drop in on one of your jams - it would be the closest thing to watching blues/rock on the circuit - which is so devoid of that genre nowadays....

#52 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:36 AM

I noticed just now, but of all the days of the year, I opened this thread on August 16.

On August 16, 1938, the King of the Delta Blues Singers met his untimely demise. Like everything else in his short life, his death was shrouded in mystery.

Robert Johnson is acknowledged to be the most famous Delta blues singer and guitarist in history and his legend has grown bigger by the passing years. His influence on such luminaries as Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and others is widely-known. Although some argue that he has a great PR machinery today to the detriment of better musicians like Charley Patton, there's no denying the fact that if not for him, the blues would not have evolved the way it has.

Some ten years back, I got hold of a copy of his compiled songs and I must admit I was taken aback by what I heard - not because I liked it, but because of the way his music sounded. He has this eerie vocalizations and, coupled with very sparse arrangements, Robert Johnson sounds very different to what I have been accustomed to and what I expected. The first time listener would feel very uncomfortable listening to his songs like Terraplane Blues, Crossroads Blues, I Believe I'll Dust My Broom, Hellhound on my Trail, Come On In My Kitchen, and so forth. His voice is so high-pitched and the recording thin, but these very same songs influenced a whole generation of musicians and opened the floodgates to what would eventually be known as rock.

It is well-known that Robert Johnson's life is shrouded in mystique and maybe this same hoodoo compelled me to start the thread on August 16. It is a recurring legend that Robert Johnson, on a midnight of some moonless night at a Delta crossroads, sold his soul to the devil in exchange for his musical prowess and legendary guitar. It is said that during those times, an aspiring musician should wait out at 12 midnight on a road that crosses another road and there the Devil himself will appear and take your guitar. He will tune it, maybe sing a few bars, then hand back the guitar to you, after which your prowess will become legendary and fame and money will be assured.

On August 16, 1938, Robert Johnson drunk a strychine-laced whisky from an open bottle given to him by a jealous husband of a girl he was cavorting with. He was 27 years old.

#53 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:51 AM

Love In Vain
-Robert Johnson-

And I followed her to the station
with a suitcase in my hand.
And I followed her to the station
with a suitcase in my hand.
Well it's hard to tell, it's hard to tell,
when all your love's in vain.
All my love's in vain.

When the train rolled up to the station
I looked her in the eye
When the train rolled up to the station
and I looked her in the eye
Well, I was lonesome, I felt so lonesome
and I could not help but cry
All my love's in vain.

When the train, it left the station
with two lights on behind
When the train, it left the station
with two lights on behind
Well, the blue light was my blues
and the red light was my mind
All my love's in vain.

#54 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1183 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

Ok bro!

Lets do it at one of the open side bars along Shanggri-La Mall facing the carpark. Paki inform mo na lang yung iba. Let's be there at 7:30PM. I'll PM you my Cell so we can communicate better.

SOrry for delay as I just got back from a trip abroad.

I'll be there!

Fine with me, pare. No problem!
As long as it's a place where we can drink, it's ok with me :P
yun nga lang we can't get to listen to the blues while drinking, but at least I can finally get that burned copy you promised :lol:

pare if you still have a working cassette player, I can do copies for you of some of my LP's hehehe

cheers!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#55 rich beem

rich beem

Cutie

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

[quote name='16track' date='Aug 18 2005, 07:52 AM']
Finally a home for all of us who love the BLUES!

Thanks Bods for opening the thread. ! :boo:
Sometimes in the mid-60's, Santana first started out as the Santana Blues Band. As he expanded his horizon, Carlos evolved to being Devadip and then later on--just Santana.

..pare si santana parang hindi masyado gumagamit ng vibrato sa pag gigitara nya, feel ko lang ha? what do you think...

#56 rich beem

rich beem

Cutie

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:08 PM

Bods!

I bought my cDVD opies of all these blues artists at MetroWalk along Meralco Avenue. Dami don. Just be sure to check each store as they have different line ups. SRV, Gary Moore, Clapton, Hendrix, BB King, Ray CHarles and others are available there.

I feel guilty buying pirated copies but there are none available in any music or video shop.

The EB or get together you have is alright with me. We can share CDs and get them burned.

For your pleasure, I have a 4 CD Box set of artists from Lightning Hopkins, Billie Holiday, John Lee Hooker, BB King ( when he was younger ), T-Bone Walker, Willie Dixon. It's an original CD.

Let me know where we can do this.

I'll bring my guitar so we can alos jam a little. I also have a few bottles of red that I can bring along.

Cheers! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got an Albert King DVD pirated then at ang lupit....

#57 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1183 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:08 AM

Rich:

I seem to recall you from the golf thread. Hows your game these days? I suffer kasi from chronic back pains now so medyo I have not hit a golf ball in almost 8 months. Anyway... back to the blues...

Well, actually Santana does. Karamihan ng matagal ng tumutugtog employ their own type of vibrato. Jazz players also seem not to have Vibrato but that is by design and choice. They use it only when they feel it had to be employed. Think Wes Montgomery and George Benson for this one.

Relatively, that is why it's quite easy to spot a beginner as they really do not have a vibrato at all.

For many players, the vibrato is a personal thing as it adds a vital ingredient to their expression. Some do it almost wildly with much emphasis on the shaking of the wrist almost bringing the forearm with the action--while some do it effortlessly.

Many purists classify Clapton's and BB King's vibrato as being cultured and classy while Santana's as subtle. The subtleness of it all gives him the identifiable tone and sound that is his alone. SRV, on the other hand had a vibrato that was sort of in the middle. That forceful vibrato combined with .13 gauge strings often resulted in constant refretting of old Number One due to the worn out frets.

Jeff Beck does it differently as he employs vibrato in combination with the trem bar--many times using the vibrato not at the end of a phrase as many players do--but DURING a phrase--This gives him the semi-off note tone that is identifiable as Beck.

An excellent example of Santana's subtle vibrato work and tone are his guitar solos in "Stormy" and "She's Not There". In both solos, Santana emplyed two different sound settings --although it was very clear he was using Humbuckers. Stormy had that smooth overdriven tone that you get by using two humbuckers and with the Tone taken full off on one pickup--usualy the bridge. The other solo had a full blast bridge PAF switched on with delays. In both cases, while the tone was different, the same vibrato was always there.

Regards!

[quote name='rich beem' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:58 PM']

..pare si santana parang hindi masyado gumagamit ng vibrato sa pag gigitara nya, feel ko lang ha? what do you think...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

Edited by 16track, 06 September 2005 - 02:56 PM.

#58 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:51 PM

Rich:

I seem to recall you from the golf thread. Hows your game these days? I suffer kasi from chronic back pains now so medyo I have not hit a golf ball in almost 8 months. Anyway... back to the blues...

Well, actually Santana does. Karamihan ng matagal ng tumutugtog employ their own type of vibrato. Jazz players also seem not to have Vibrato but that is by design and choice. They use it only when they feel it had to be employed. Think Wes Montgomery and George Benson for this one.

Relatively, that is why it's quite easy to spot a beginner as they really do not have a vibrato at all.

For many players, the vibrato is a personal thing as it adds a vital ingredient  to their expression. Some do it almost wildly with much emphasis on the shaking of the wrist almost bringing the forearm with the action--while some do it effortlessly.

Many purists classify Clapton's and BB King's vibrato as being cultured and classy while Santana's as subtle. The subtleness of it all gives him  the identifiable tone and sound that is his alone. SRV, on the other hand had a vibrato that was sort of in the middle. That forceful vibrato combined with .13 gauge strings often resulted in constant refretting of old Number One due to the worn out frets.

Jeff Beck does it differently as he employs vibrato in combination with the trem bar--many times using the vibrato not at the end of a phrase as many players do--but DURING a phrase--This gives him the semi-off note tone that is identifiable as Beck.

An excellent example of Santana's subtle vibrato work and tone are his guitar solos in "Stormy" and "She's Not There". In both solos, Santana emplyed two different sound settings --although it was very clear he was using Humbuckers. Stormy had that smooth overdriven tone that you get by using two humbuckers and with the Tone taken full off on one pickup--usualy the bridge. The other solo had a full blast bridge PAF switched on with delays. In both cases, while the tone was different, the same vibrato was always there.

Regards!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whew!
another great technical post!
pare I appreciate these posts even if I don't understand it that well :lol:
ok for starters and for the edification of those not technically-savvy (and number one would be me :P), what is VIBRATO? I've been reading a lot about this and not being well-honed on the guitar, I don't have a clear idea of what it is hehehe......

Stormy is a clear favorite of mine - it's so smooth, easy and laid-back that I didn't know there were subtleties in his solo :P

cheers pare!
That Sept. 9 is a go!

#59 bods1000

bods1000

garagiste....

• (13) Giga Poster
  • 12406 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

[quote name='rich beem' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:58 PM']

Thanks Bods for opening the thread. ! :boo:
Sometimes in the mid-60's, Santana first started out as the Santana Blues Band. As he expanded his horizon, Carlos evolved to being Devadip and then later on--just Santana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

welcome to the Blues, pare!
care to share some of your favorite artists and albums?

I see you're also a guitar-player :P

#60 16track

16track

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1183 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:48 AM

Thanks bro!

VIBRATO is what you see guitar or ther string instrument players do when they start shaking their wrists / fingers trying to squeeze the life out of each and every note--usually the last one in a phrase but not the rule, though. This movement makes each note come alive and greatly enhances the expression of a phrase.

Vocalists also do this -- when they try to "vibrate" the last notes of a phrase or line that they sing. Think Gladys Knight instead of Mariah Carey.

There are different methods to Vibrato--others do it sideways with a left to right motion--while others do it while they bend the string just a bit up and down to create the vibrating effect.

Next time you watach BB King or Clapton, try to watch how they do their vibrato and you can compare.
You can hear this clearly when Santana and Gary Moore squeeze the life out of the long sustained note in Europa and Parisienne. Listen carefully and you can almost see both masters shaking their fingers up and down almost in a frenzy right before the note ends!

See you on Friday!

:D

whew!
another great technical post!
pare I appreciate these posts even if I don't understand it that well :lol:
ok for starters and for the edification of those not technically-savvy (and number one would be me :P), what is VIBRATO? I've been reading a lot about this and not being well-honed on the guitar, I don't have a clear idea of what it is hehehe......

Stormy is a clear favorite of mine - it's so smooth, easy and laid-back that I didn't know there were subtleties in his solo :P

cheers pare!
That Sept. 9 is a go!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Edited by 16track, 07 September 2005 - 07:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users