Magkano Fare Mo From Home To Work, Vice Versa

guys, hope you find this interesting... so we will know how much do we spend on transportation. pwera nlng yung merong car.

pwede din kayo dito, just add how much you spend on gas daily (average)

sa akin, 2 options:

if i go home sa parents place ko, 1 ride by bus, 20php vice versa

if from my pad, 1 jeepney ride, 14php vice versa

how bout you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I take public transit to work:

Bus fare to train network = $1.50

Train to the East Bay = $4.50

Tran back = $4.50

Bus back = $1.50

Subtotal = $12.00

Travel time total = ~3 hours

Travel time differential vs driving if billed as 'wasted time' = ~$115.00

Total cost when taking public transit = $127.00

If I drive to work:

~30 total miles to work @ 24mpg @ $3.00/gallon = $3.75

Daily parking = $4.00

~30 total miles back = $3.75

Bridge toll = $4.00

Amortized cost of car ownership (taxes, fees, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc) for that day = ~$35.00

Subtotal = $50.50

Travel time total = ~1.5 hours (yes, even with traffic)

"Savings" versus taking public transit = $76.50

Seem people may look askance at the above and balk at the fact that I would choose to include the differential in time used between public transit and driving. However, I think it's a valid assertion in that I end up having to "use" an additional 1.5 hours if I took public transit. This could be 1.5 hours I can bill to my employer in actually productive time. Conversely, it could be 1.5 hours of quality-of-life time (extra sleep, extra time with family/friends, hobby time, etc), which is effectively priceless. Sure driving costs more if you don't factor that in, but how many people can actually say they 'enjoy' having to use up an extra 1.5 hours of THEIR time waiting for the bus / train / jeepney (which in all cases except the train would require you to be in the same traffic anyway)? Wouldn't you rather get paid for it (which you would if you were working that time instead of twiddling your thumbs at the stop), or enjoy it?

And yes, it's the dirty little secret that never gets figured in to commuting equation. Don't get me wrong, the moment my public transit commute is equal to (or less!) my driving commute, I'd gladly switch to public transit. Sadly, that's not the case in most of the US outside of Manhattan.

That being said, I typically take the bus when taking a jaunt downtown since that does end up being more efficient cost-wise.

If I take public transit to work:

Bus fare to train network = $1.50

Train to the East Bay = $4.50

Tran back = $4.50

Bus back = $1.50

Subtotal = $12.00

Travel time total = ~3 hours

Travel time differential vs driving if billed as 'wasted time' = ~$115.00

Total cost when taking public transit = $127.00

If I drive to work:

~30 total miles to work @ 24mpg @ $3.00/gallon = $3.75

Daily parking = $4.00

~30 total miles back = $3.75

Bridge toll = $4.00

Amortized cost of car ownership (taxes, fees, insurance, maintenance, depreciation, etc) for that day = ~$35.00

Subtotal = $50.50

Travel time total = ~1.5 hours (yes, even with traffic)

"Savings" versus taking public transit = $76.50

Seem people may look askance at the above and balk at the fact that I would choose to include the differential in time used between public transit and driving. However, I think it's a valid assertion in that I end up having to "use" an additional 1.5 hours if I took public transit. This could be 1.5 hours I can bill to my employer in actually productive time. Conversely, it could be 1.5 hours of quality-of-life time (extra sleep, extra time with family/friends, hobby time, etc), which is effectively priceless. Sure driving costs more if you don't factor that in, but how many people can actually say they 'enjoy' having to use up an extra 1.5 hours of THEIR time waiting for the bus / train / jeepney (which in all cases except the train would require you to be in the same traffic anyway)? Wouldn't you rather get paid for it (which you would if you were working that time instead of twiddling your thumbs at the stop), or enjoy it?

And yes, it's the dirty little secret that never gets figured in to commuting equation. Don't get me wrong, the moment my public transit commute is equal to (or less!) my driving commute, I'd gladly switch to public transit. Sadly, that's not the case in most of the US outside of Manhattan.

That being said, I typically take the bus when taking a jaunt downtown since that does end up being more efficient cost-wise.

I agree with the economic benefits of having the chance to save on time for more work and personal convenience. We only have to factor in the environmental cost in aspiring for our own personal mode of transport. Thank God people are developing cars that can help reduce environmental degradation. Aside from cars though, I just wish the Government (here in the PI) on their end would further improve on public mode of transportation, so that we (the non-driving population) can afford to gain, even for just a little, of what our friend above enjoys.

As for me, I spend Php 7.00 one way home to work, then vice versa, so that Php14.00. I can't afford to ride a bike, the slopes of Diliman will k*ll my legs. :lol: