Greatest Single Performance From An Athlete

post your personal candidates here:

1) Michael Jordan's "sick" game - down with stomach flu and looking grayer than a tombstone, MJ battled it all and dumped 38 pts. in a crucial NBA Finals game against Utah.

2) Buster Douglas floors Iron Mike - it was a moment many didn't think would happen ever, but Buster Douglas did just that (although he eventually faded away in his latter years) people will remember this moment forever.

3) Manny Pacquiao beating Barrera down to a bloody pulp - many people didn't think Manny had it in him. In a boxing forum I posted on, I was the only who bet on Manny. Manny showed the world that he really belongs to the all time P4P best fighter list with this performance.

4) Alexander "The Experiment" Karelin - perhaps the greatest modern greco-roman wrestler the world has ever known. He was undefeated for Thirteen Years and went Ten Years without giving up a single point. That's like a pitcher having 10 years of all perfect games in baseball. I am convinved that Karelin really is an experiment borne out of the Soviet's secret super athlete program.

dude does 81 points of kobe and 65 ni 3 qtrs count

i'm not a fan (I think he's a bitch)

but it definitely does count, 81 points is still 81

sama mo na din yung 4 consecutive games scoring 50 and more

now this is just more proof that that bastard is a ball hog

If you're talking greatest single performance (as opposed to a great career):

Bob Beamon's long jump in Mexico City during the 1968 Olympics, when he broke the world record by almost two feet. That record stood for more than two decades.

Diego Maradona's Goal of the Century vs. England, 1986, just minutes after he scored the infamous "Hand of God" goal.

Wilt Chamberlain's 100 point game in 1962 while with the Philadelphia Warriors.

Obviously si Larry Bird. Sabihin sa opponents how many points ang score nya.

Where and When he will shoot the last shot. Before the game pupunta sa opposing teams bench para sabihin kung ano gagawin. Tigas noh.

Give me a player who can talk trash like Bird and tutuparin.

Meron mga players na nag-guguarantee na manalo ng game pero sasabihin kung ano ang gagawin at sasabihin san mismo titira.......Mas mahirap ata yun.

Not just in one game.

Lalo na yung ginawa ni Bird sa Pistons na 15 footer left handed bank shot......Grabe yun. Playoffs tapos having fun. Ibang klase.

how bout tiger woods??? winning the tiger cup... (winning all 4 major trophies in successsion??

wat about nolan ryans 7 career no hitters or his 5k++ career strikeouts??

how bout Moses (forgot his last name) winning 100+ races in succession??

post your personal candidates here:

*snip*

2) Buster Douglas floors Iron Mike - it was a moment many didn't think would happen ever, but Buster Douglas did just that (although he eventually faded away in his latter years) people will remember this moment forever.

*snip*

i'd file this under "lucky punch" before i classify this as "greatest single performance"

how about steffi graf's golden slam?

or lance armstrong's 7 tour de france victories?

tiger .. 97 masters ....

ted williams .400 season

cal ripken's streak

elway's drive .. with the helicopter spin

wilt's 100 point game

kobe's 81 isnt that impressive wilts 100 point game with no 3 point line is more impressive.....

dude have you seen the 100 points?

and come to think of it how many shots taken just to get the 100 points :D

and yeah he is one of the tallest player who play that time who can easily put the ball in the ring :P

wilts 100 point game with no 3 point line is more impressive.....

not really, considering that there was no shot clock then, and he was the biggest player around

you just had to stand around the hoop and drill it.

some more to add:

The Miracle Game - a US team composed of college hockey stars beats the unbeatable russians, in what has to be the most amazing display of heart from a team ever.

Mark Spitz in the '72 olympics - 7 gold medals in one olympics. A record that still holds true today.

Lance Armstrong in all of his Tour De France outings. That man is all sorts of bad ass.

Jim Thorpe 1912 olympics - won gold medals in the decathlon AND the Pentathlon. Hailed by King Gustav of Sweden as the greatest athlete in the world (Jim Thorpe would go on to have careers in baseball, football, and basketball, no other athlete has done the same since).

Jessie Owens punking Hitler's Aryan Might with 4 golds in the 1936 olympics.

Ditto with the Tiger Woods owning people in the 97 Masters

Kerri Strug winning the gold in 1996 after tearing two ligaments in her ankle, she still manages to pull off the maneouver and lands it on one foot.

Nadia Comaneci - first and youngest woman to score a perfect 10 in an Olympic gymnastic event.

nolan ryan's perfect game against the toronto blue jays, may 1, 1991...his 7th perfect game and no-hitter of his illustrious career...no other Major League pitcher, or player for that matter, has come close...

the oldest person to ever set a record in the Ironman Triathlon-Kona was 75-year-old Jim Ward...his 5:51:46 record for the 75-79 age group set in 1992 still stands

Obviously si Larry Bird. Sabihin sa opponents how many points ang score nya.

Where and When he will shoot the last shot. Before the game pupunta sa opposing teams bench para sabihin kung ano gagawin. Tigas noh.

Give me a player who can talk trash like Bird and tutuparin.

Meron mga players na nag-guguarantee na manalo ng game pero sasabihin kung ano ang gagawin at sasabihin san mismo titira.......Mas mahirap ata yun.

Not just in one game.

Lalo na yung ginawa ni Bird sa Pistons na 15 footer left handed bank shot......Grabe yun. Playoffs tapos having fun. Ibang klase.

The Basketball Jesus -- Game 7 NBA Finals 1984 versus El-Ay

Edited by Guernica