Alternative Exercises

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

friend no.1

i got this friend who is gym rat. goes to the gym pump iron..rides the bike...ran the treadmills...stays at the gym 2-3 hours. goes to the gym almost 3 times a week. In between those he swims. He bikes on weekends and never drink beer or eat meat.

friend no.2

i got this friend who follows a very minimam exercise program like briskwalking to work. taking stairs instead of elevator, does not smoke, drinks socially...rides the bike on weekend...sleeps early..

when both of my friends went to see their docs...they were given almost same level of good health.

now, I am not a person who can afford to do what friend no. 1 can do...i got work. Can there be an alternative exercise regimen for office workers to keep a healthy body (no hypertension, controllable cholesterol level, good heart condition)....

If it's heart health you want, diet first. In fact, in all health, diet first.

Get a good distribution of macronutrients (high protein, okay carbs, low fat) and get a good variety of food for micronutrients. Usually having half your plate filled with veggies is a good start.

Minimum effort. 10,000 steps daily, as recommended by the WHO and other health organizations.

Minimum time investment. Tabata workouts or High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) around 3 times a week. That's just 30 minutes per session.

But again, a bad diet will neutralize or k*ll any exercise progress.

Cholesterol itself isn't bad, they type of cholesterol and the amount you consume is bad. Fat does not equal cholesterol.

Smoking normally is bad. Get a tobacco vaporizer if you really need your nicotine fix and you can't quit. Try just smoking the first three puffs, since they're the only good ones. Puff four onward is just mechanical.

Alcohol itself is fine, and is even good in moderation. He problem comes when you eat more while drunk. If the goal is to get drunk, stick to liquor since beer is less potent with more calories.

Just do a little research and tailor your exercise to your schedule.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Im a plus size woman. Two weeks ago, i decided to go on a diet. So far it is working out for me. I have a very sedentary lifestyle. My work is to crunch numbers and analyze them. So i spend my day in front of my laptop.

Now that my body has adjusted to the new diet (low cal, low carbs), i need to introduce some physical activity. 

Here's my problem. I tried walking around the village, but my village isnt exactly "safe". Lots of stray dogs and people walking around not wearing a mask. We dont have any nearby parks. 

I dont have space in my room to even do yoga and the living area has no space as my father's wheelchair occupies most of the space. The only real space is in the kitchen, where most of the "living" happens. So there's also no space there unless i exercise after midnight.

I dont want to join a gym yet(maybe later), as i dont want to shock my body. 

What can i do as a beginning exercise that will allow my body to adjust to my new diet and physical activity. Im hoping to join a gym around january next year.  Are there exercises i can do in a small space? Lets say a 2ft by 2ft space.. basically the space in front of my laptop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Completing 10000 steps using your phone tracker.

Take note that these are not literal steps. I use Google Fit and when I swing my arms back and forth while holding the phone, it counts. Hehehe. This is my mini exercise while working remotely (WFH) and your phone also serves as your dumbbells. I also have a foot cycle under my desk and Google Fit tracks it also when you put the phone in your pocket.

• Winner! (+1) 1