Originals Or Revivals

Right now songs are revived here and there, and sometimes, they are even revived 2 or 3 times (like nakapagtataka)....

I'm more fond or the originals rather than the revivals... But is there any song do you think that the Original is Better than the Revival? Or conversely, is there any song that you think that the revived version is better than the original?

Post your thoughts here? :)

I also like originals more than remakes/revivals. However, there are some remakes, which, in my opinion, elevated or took the song one notch higher than the original.

One revival song I like is "Every Little Thing (s/he does is magic)". This was made by Police in the 80s (I believe). Fast and catchy. But I got blown away by Kevyn Lettau's rendition in 2000(?). It was just a teeny bit slower, but her delivery was superb. It's a 'guy' song, but she was able to pull it off nicely. It was sung again by MYMP (locally) but I'm sticking with Kevyn's version. :thumbsupsmiley:

PS - after I posted, I realized your signature carried the lyrics, hehehe.

Edited by archbishop
PS - after I posted, I realized your signature carried the lyrics, hehehe.

Hehehehe.... You noticed my signature...

I like Alanis Morrisette's version of the King of Pain although sometimes I like the police's version more :)

Since we are talking revivals, how about the tribute albums. what do you think of them?

i prefer the original over the revivals...original is still the best. :thumbsupsmiley:

there are revivals though that stand out like king of pain by alanis morissette, original by police; too late by workshy, original by carole king; nakapagtataka by rachel alejandro, original by jim paredes to name a few...

Hehehehe.... You noticed my signature...

I like Alanis Morrisette's version of the King of Pain although sometimes I like the police's version more :)

Since we are talking revivals, how about the tribute albums. what do you think of them?

About tribute albums, I personally have the same sentiments as revivals - I still generally like originals better. Imho, tribute albums were never meant to replace or supercede the originals. Songs in tribute albums have entirely different personalities than the original. Hence, the original intention of the composer may be distorted, lost, or given a whole new meaning.

However, tribute albums are laudable in the sense that they lend new vein to the song for a new generation of listeners. For me, tribue albums do not diminish the value of the original songs as they cater to different audiences. They're not like those "murdered songs" (disco remixes of songs belonging to other genres such as rock or adult contemporary) that were briefly done in the 90s.

Listening to the original side-by-side with the tribute gives a comparison of time and the romanticism involved with that. For example, the style of APO's songs are 70s and 80-ish as compared with the songs in their tribute album. "Mapapansin talaga yung pagka-classic" of the originals, bringing you back in time and making you appreciate the songs more. :lol:

case-to-case basis, e.g. -

blinded by the light > manfred mann earth band's version is far way better

than bruce springsteen's original

ditto 'all along the watchtower' - jimi hendrix's version is much better than dylan's original

big yellow taxi > joni mitchell's original is far and above counting crows' version,

which really sucks

opinyon ko lang..

I respect - and I use respect very loosely here - artists/bands who put their own little twist to the songs they revive. At least they give the effort to make the song their own. What pisses me off is the proliferation of revivals in the local scene nowadays that offer no real change from the originals.

My pet peeve now is the murdering of Nakapagtataka by some loser band whose name I don't care to remember. Parang naghulog lang sila ng limang-piso sa videoke sabay kanta. No rearrangement, no creativity, no nothing...

And don't get me started with the trend of turning any random song bossa. Recently I heard Prinsesa sung this way. Sakit sa ulo.

Talent is clearly missing in the so-called artists being spewed out by record labels nowadays and their incessant rehashing of songs is undeniable proof.

I respect - and I use respect very loosely here - artists/bands who put their own little twist to the songs they revive. At least they give the effort to make the song their own. What pisses me off is the proliferation of revivals in the local scene nowadays that offer no real change from the originals.

My pet peeve now is the murdering of Nakapagtataka by some loser band whose name I don't care to remember. Parang naghulog lang sila ng limang-piso sa videoke sabay kanta. No rearrangement, no creativity, no nothing...

And don't get me started with the trend of turning any random song bossa. Recently I heard Prinsesa sung this way. Sakit sa ulo.

Talent is clearly missing in the so-called artists being spewed out by record labels nowadays and their incessant rehashing of songs is undeniable proof.

so true ... at least foreign artists try to make more meaning of the original and put in more of their signature ... making us love the song more ... original or revival ...

but with local talents ... ouch ... i havent heard a revived song that was given enough justice ...

Originals are better, hands down.

It's a rare case where the revival is better that the original. One comes to mind is Joe Cocker's rendition of "With A Little Help From My Friends," w/c was originally performed by The Beatles. Even the Fab Four loved Cocker's version