Photo

Philosphy: What Are Your Beliefs/ideology?

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#21 bluegreen717

bluegreen717

on Prozac

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:20 AM

what if u espouse the 3rd way? neither u maintain idealism nor would u accept realism...

u reject that "ought" of things in themselves...

but u won't accept the "is" of things in themselves either...

rather, u'd drop everything else and take the "me" perspective defining reality by full recognition of your own biases, tendencies, and self-worth.
;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And try to start my own brand of philosophy and gain followers along the way, only to be deserted in the end because they are only willing to define reality by their own "me" perspective? I have enough loyal fans as is.

But I would start with the "me" perspective and try to be phenomenological about it. Works most of the time.

And I'm more into Heidegger, Dasein sounds more technical than cogito. :D

#22 mig 22

mig 22

-

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Interests:-

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:14 PM

Transcendental idealism! Kant was never wrong!

But I tend to move between idealism and realism...I'd like to think I'm not as mature as some people see me as.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not into Kant yet. But I make my own framework. ^_^

#23 Jourdan

Jourdan

nzchick's orc

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:54 PM

And try to start my own brand of philosophy and gain followers along the way, only to be deserted in the end because they are only willing to define reality by their own "me" perspective? I have enough loyal fans as is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm...u can create a framework by which a "me" philosophy can be both limiting and liberating...

you don't have to constrict your followers with your own reality. but you also have to inhibit their adventurous souls from falling into senseless pluralism.

the beauty of it all is if you are able to create such a framework whereby your followers are both free to explore their own insights abt the "reality for them" yet feel the compulsion to stay within the bounds of how one develops such a relevant reality.

But I would start with the "me" perspective and try to be phenomenological about it. Works most of the time.

hmm....kindly elucidate. :)

And I'm more into Heidegger, Dasein sounds more technical than cogito.  :D

really? oh must u hate the circular argument of the Cartesian methodical doubt!

and i thought u'd rather wedged them reality and ideas? Heidegger attempted to bridge both hehe...well, he'd maintain the separation still. :)

got one problem with Dasein actually...Heidegger sees it as a given. is it? :D

#24 bluegreen717

bluegreen717

on Prozac

• (05) Regular
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

[quote name='Jourdan' date='Apr 19 2006, 01:54 PM']
hmm...u can create a framework by which a "me" philosophy can be both limiting and liberating...

you don't have to constrict your followers with your own reality. but you also have to inhibit their adventurous souls from falling into senseless pluralism.

the beauty of it all is if you are able to create such a framework whereby your followers are both free to explore their own insights abt the "reality for them" yet feel the compulsion to stay within the bounds of how one develops such a relevant reality.
hmm....kindly elucidate. :)

Phenomenology requires that you start with "me" (the first person) and by a series of steps, strip the experience down to its essence. My final paper in college was a phenomenology on courtship, in Filipino, and I exceeded the 20-page limit despite shrinking my font size to 9 and reducing margins to 0.5. It was that exhaustive.

Now I just do it all in my head. Ten minutes over coffee, tops.

#25 maldita_overload

maldita_overload

orangesky's fallen angel

• Ambassador
  • 9,302 posts
  • Interests:* people watching * random conversations over coffee * chuck taylor * observing the vicious cycle of falling in and out of love * daydreaming about being a Jedi *

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:19 AM

I've been sick for the last few days. While at home, I've saturated myself with Smallville, seasons 1-5. Pretty productive way of spending my days, considering the fact that I had a hard time trying to stand up. During the time spent embedding the young Clark's features into half of my brain, the quarter was busy discussing some fairly irrelevant stuff with the other quarter. I came to some realizations. I realized that Lex Luthor didn't have a choice. I realized that after years of continuous pounding from outside forces, free will can actually disappear. It's amazing what they say about free will. I was always under the impression that we create our own destiny, that we are responsible for the choices we make, and that we should not hold anyone to blame for the actions that we take. Funny, or even crazy, but what if there really is a set path for everybody? What if irregardless of what you do, you will end up in wherever it is meant for you to end up in?

Lex was more of a victim than the terribly despicable person he was portrayed to be in the early Superman movies and series. Well, they never offered much of an explanation as to how he came about being the villain that he was. From what I gathered, The most obvious cause of Lex turning out to be such a bad apple is the tree. So considering parental, environmental and social influence, where does free will come in? It seems like the choices we make are all set for us, leading us to a predestined end.

If it's true, then all the times people spend trying to carefully plan out their lives would turn out to be a complete waste of time. I mean, how many times have you made plans that never turned out the way they were supposed to? I bet it happened to you a lot. It sure as hell happened to me. A whole lot of times. If so, then what do we do? If we are living a Truman show, then why exert any effort at all? Jeez.

i'm just thinking out loud......

Edited by maldita_overload, 19 October 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#26 Mobius Stripper

Mobius Stripper

Madaku Mobutu

• (09) Manic Poster
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Breaking rules but not principles.<br />Having unmet dreams but not unfulfilled promises.<br />Striving to excel though not winning at all costs.<br />Shifting paradigms but keeping the truth.<br />Challenging faith but never losing it.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:58 AM

Like a good sport, be a good loser but a better winner.

#27 ephraim65

ephraim65

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:13 PM

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Ephraim65

#28 X

X

The X Machine...

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,614 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:24 PM

Living is nothing more than a journey towards death.

So, stop once in a while to smell the flowers on the road.

#29 chiquezee

chiquezee

Zomkinduvadifrentchique

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

Desire that your life count for something great!
Long for your life to have Eternal Significance.
Don't course through life without a passion.

In a nutshell, why live life if your only objective is to die?

And ultimately, DON'T WASTE YOUR LIFE.

#30 mason_rod

mason_rod

Hottie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

Life is short, and we don't know when we're gonna die...

So say what you want to say now, coz death can shut you up FOREVER...

#31 StoneRhino

StoneRhino

Posting Like Mad

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Dread Marit Lange Lies Dreaming

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

First Place or NO place!

#32 David Aames

David Aames

The Paladin

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:10 AM

I believe there will come a day when society will change for the upliftment of every inhabitant. Wherein, the acquisition of wealth is not the main driving force in man but the pursuit of improving one's self for the betterment of society. To better ourselves... to evolve fully into the human race.

#33 Alien1

Alien1

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

Do until others before they do you.

Be at ease with yourself and easier with others.

#34 arnoldtan

arnoldtan

The New Wave

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 06:54 PM

be happy
be grateful
contentment
be simple
be nice
spend ur time with ur family and friends....
pray hard everyday

#35 CodenameV

CodenameV

Knowing is not enough; we must apply

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Media Collector (Audio CD's, DVD's. Comic books, Manga, Management books/ Self Help books)<br /><br />Toy Colector (Action figures, SOC's, Happy Meal toys)<br /><br />Gadget Freak (Computers, Cellphones, PDA's)<br /><br />Jack of all trades and Master of none. Good enough but not great.

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:35 PM

Life is a long journey towards nowhere in particular. Where ever you end up, know how you got there and keep notes just in case you end up in a similar situation.

#36 TNT Hsia

TNT Hsia

I Own the Fight Club!

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • 4,613 posts
  • Interests:The good life

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Be true to oneself or you can't be true to anyone else.

#37 Guest_shameless_*

Guest_shameless_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:30 AM

fantasy is a self contained enactment of imagination.
Reality is the application of fantasy outside itself.
Imagination allows all things to be possible within the walls fantasy.

the observable universe is a self contained fantasy.

imagine.

#38 drslim

drslim

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:filipinas....art...world affairs....movies

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:15 AM

my sociology professor in college asked "what are people for"?.....for me, my philosophy is that the purpose of man is to be compassionate...what is compassion? think of compassion as a multi-vitamin consisting of patience, tolerance, understanding, forgiveness, mercy, honesty, love, hopefulness, gentleness, generosity and a few more that I cant remember right now...that is our purpose...to transmit compassion to every living thing on earth....it is a worthy task, a worthy purpose...and something we all will have difficulty achieving...it will be easier to climb mount everest and write my name in the snow than to be compassionate to those i dont like or treat me badly...but no one told me it would be easy...but its worth trying and practicing because it is the only thing that makes sense to me

#39 Defiant

Defiant

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:45 AM

To be human is to attempt perfection in what is it we are meant to do and in turn find God and express him in our work. Go beyond common grounds, move beyond common humanity and attempt to do good to the world. Evolve and be better than those who came before you.

#40 Guest_saintwitch_*

Guest_saintwitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

i believe that life is a matter of survival!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users