External Hard Drives

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info sir..i believe the new wd passport has 2 disk partition. one partition has the drive software.

the problem with this hdis that my mac cannot detect the drive because of the partition and the formatting of the drive. when checked, the drive software is in .exe file; therefore this cannot be read by the mac. you have to reformat this again so that you can remove the partition and use the whole storage space available...

The filesystem isn't using 23gb. Some guy in marketing caused this problem a long time ago.

Most numbers in a computers go back to a 2 to the power x number.

1 Kb is 1024 (2^10) bytes

1 Gb is 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1.073.741.824 bytes

Now what they use in marketing harddisks & usb drives actually anything that has storage is

1 Kb = 1000 bytes

1 Gb = 1.000.000.000 bytes

That where your difference comes from. So you think you buy 1.073.741.824 bytes per Gb but in fact you buy 1.000.000.000 bytes oer Gb.

• 2 weeks later...
Question po, pede bang gumawa ng partition sa external HDD gaya ng sa Internal? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Di ko pa natry...pero mukhang puwede naman as the computer will not distinguish between external/internal drives...

I bought a 500GB Transcend, yung shock proof for around 4,500PHP....ok naman siya...di ko napuno!...ang laki na pala ng 500GB. Gusto ko yung shock proof/drop proof ng transcend at least may additional insurance kung malaglag ;)

Question po, pede bang gumawa ng partition sa external HDD gaya ng sa Internal? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Di ko pa natry...pero mukhang puwede naman as the computer will not distinguish between external/internal drives...

I bought a 500GB Transcend, yung shock proof for around 4,500PHP....ok naman siya...di ko napuno!...ang laki na pala ng 500GB. Gusto ko yung shock proof/drop proof ng transcend at least may additional insurance kung malaglag ;)

Great news peeps! Expect more SSD HD coming in the market..

Intel ships solid-state drive for fast app start-up

(http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10468342-64.html)

Intel has starting shipping a solid-state drive that can speed Windows 7 and app load times.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20100315/intel-40gb-ssd-retail-small.jpg

Intel Serial-ATA 40GB SSD retails for $125

(Credit: Intel)

Intel says the drive is aimed at "dual-drive/boot drive desktop set-ups" as well as Netbooks. Solid-state drives typically offer better performance--in some cases, dramatically better performance--than hard disk drives. But SSDs cost more per gigabyte than hard drives, which, to date, has limited SSDs to performance-sensitive applications such as high-end laptops, gaming PCs, and servers.

The Intel X25-V is a relatively low-capacity SSD at 40GB, but claims performance that is four times faster than a 7200RPM hard disk drive. And at $125, it qualifies as an inexpensive SSD, but on a dollar-per-gigabyte basis of about $3 per gigabyte, it's comparable with, if not a little more than, competing products.

Intel says consumers can use the SSD as an add-on to a hard-drive-equipped desktop PC by configuring a dual-drive or "boot drive" set up. "In a dual-drive configuration...the SSD is loaded with the operating system and favorite applications to take advantage of the speedy performance," Intel said in a statement.

For example, with 40GB of boot drive capacity, a user could load the SSD with the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system, Microsoft Office applications, and a favorite gaming application. Users keep their existing HDD for higher capacity data storage, according to Intel.

Though SSDs are still an esoteric technology for some users, Intel-branded SSDs are popular at retail sites. "The Intel solid-state drive is our top-selling SSD," said Stephen Yang, product manager for solid-state drives at e-tailer Newegg.com, in a statement provided by Intel. And brand is important because some lesser-known SSD manufacturers do not meet quality and reliability standards, according to a report from DRAMeXchange Technology, a firm that does market intelligence on major electronics components. Intel was rated as one of the top brands for quality and reliability, DRAMeXchange said

Edited by cool_as_ice
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're using a DLSR, and your pics are 4MB each, then 100GB will fit about 2,500 pics. If you take 100 pics a week, 6 months lang puno na drive mo.

not really a techie guy... just want to ask what particular external hardrive is good for storing pictures...will the 100 GB be enough...? TIA

Great news peeps! Expect more SSD HD coming in the market..

Intel ships solid-state drive for fast app start-up

(http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10468342-64.html)

Intel has starting shipping a solid-state drive that can speed Windows 7 and app load times.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20100315/intel-40gb-ssd-retail-small.jpg

Intel Serial-ATA 40GB SSD retails for $125

(Credit: Intel)

Intel says the drive is aimed at "dual-drive/boot drive desktop set-ups" as well as Netbooks. Solid-state drives typically offer better performance--in some cases, dramatically better performance--than hard disk drives. But SSDs cost more per gigabyte than hard drives, which, to date, has limited SSDs to performance-sensitive applications such as high-end laptops, gaming PCs, and servers.

The Intel X25-V is a relatively low-capacity SSD at 40GB, but claims performance that is four times faster than a 7200RPM hard disk drive. And at $125, it qualifies as an inexpensive SSD, but on a dollar-per-gigabyte basis of about $3 per gigabyte, it's comparable with, if not a little more than, competing products.

Intel says consumers can use the SSD as an add-on to a hard-drive-equipped desktop PC by configuring a dual-drive or "boot drive" set up. "In a dual-drive configuration...the SSD is loaded with the operating system and favorite applications to take advantage of the speedy performance," Intel said in a statement.

For example, with 40GB of boot drive capacity, a user could load the SSD with the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system, Microsoft Office applications, and a favorite gaming application. Users keep their existing HDD for higher capacity data storage, according to Intel.

Though SSDs are still an esoteric technology for some users, Intel-branded SSDs are popular at retail sites. "The Intel solid-state drive is our top-selling SSD," said Stephen Yang, product manager for solid-state drives at e-tailer Newegg.com, in a statement provided by Intel. And brand is important because some lesser-known SSD manufacturers do not meet quality and reliability standards, according to a report from DRAMeXchange Technology, a firm that does market intelligence on major electronics components. Intel was rated as one of the top brands for quality and reliability, DRAMeXchange said

SSD technology is still not good today. major problem is that read-write frequency deteriorates the drive. SSD is only good if you don't write a lot to the disk - generally archiving purpose only. or, you can pair it with a non-SSD drive to handle the intensive write jobs. Wait for the technology to mature is my recommendation.

USB external hard drives are too f%cking slow. It will take you 4 hours just to copy another 500 GBytes hard drive. I always buy external hard drives with Firewire. IOMega sells external hard drives with triple interface (Firewire/Firewire 400/USB). Take note that USB is a serial interface that's why it is slow.

hehehe... pag nag cocopy ako ng mga files from my pc to my external HD ko. mga nasa 4.5mb per second lang transfer rate.

pero pag flash drive nasa 10mb pataas.

if you want a better transfer rate: go for firewire 400/800, eSATA, or USB 3.0. then again, avoid comparing the speeds with a different age of drives. The more you use it with copy and delete/format, the more it gets slower. Also, check your system, copying same files, amounts and etc from a windows XP is different from vista and win7, and again different on the RAM and processor and etc.

Me, I use firewire 400 for HD movie editing, so I can bring the 2.5" ext HDD when i'm travelling and continue to edit.

if you want a better transfer rate: go for firewire 400/800, eSATA, or USB 3.0. then again, avoid comparing the speeds with a different age of drives. The more you use it with copy and delete/format, the more it gets slower. Also, check your system, copying same files, amounts and etc from a windows XP is different from vista and win7, and again different on the RAM and processor and etc.

Me, I use firewire 400 for HD movie editing, so I can bring the 2.5" ext HDD when i'm travelling and continue to edit.

Mayroon bang cable na...

6 circuit na fire for the PC, tapos ang dulo eh usb for the portable hard disk?