Hard Core Gyms

Seldome will you see people training with such high intensities on mainstream gyms that has become more of a socializing place. Although I wouldn't deny that these so called "hard core" gyms distributes a lot of "gear" underground. Nevertheless, these are places where many bodybuilding/powerlifting champions were born.

slim & shape, edsa monumento.. locally fabricated weights, all muscled instructors and owners, non-aircon but well ventilated, large space, framed photos of their body building winners displayed all around the gym..

Most of the hardcore gyms I know doesn't have airconditioning. More over, If I remember correctly, old school hard core gyms never really had the olympic bar. Anyone who can relate to this>? Back then the bar was not as thick and the plate's hole in the middle is only roughly an inch and half in diameter. Talk about old school.

The olympic weightlifting gym is rizal memoial is still open

That I think is the other one, which is inside the compound. The one I'm talking about is a small one, around 25x25 ft. I think it's an office or something now. Its location was at the stadium next to the badminton thingy now. It's at the left side of the entrance of that stadium if you're coming from Taft. Too bad it's gone now.

Another hardcore gym is the one near Letran--those who are familiar with the area should know what I'm talking about. I never worked out there though; my bestfriend did. I didn't like the color of their plates (they painted it red), plus I never brought any gym stuff at school.

Mr. Suave gym inside st. lukes hospital compound. kumpleto din gamit dito and ayos din mga tao madalas mga doctor and professionals. :)

Yung Mr. Suave gym, I also heard a lot of bodybuilding champions train there. And if I'm not mistaken, maraming active PBBA (Phil. Bodybuilding Association) members ang naggym dito.

hardcore gym's are too hardcore, even their treadmills are non-motorized..hehehe.. :D

these are gym's where equipments do not need electric power.. the only electrical gadget you see is the ceiling fan..

Well, I don't really see these guys using the treadmills anyway. It's about old school heavy lifting. Plates, dumbells, bars and etc. Even if they've rusted they still serve their purpose.

Aside from mentioning "hard core gyms," it would be great if you guys could actually share workout experiences that were brutal and insane. :boo:

Severl of my GVT workouts were brutal.. So was my last EDT squat workout.. and of course, the 20 rep squat or the 20 rep deadlift workout

[qoute]Care to give the details of your last EDT squat workout?

doing 215 for 3 reps with only 30 seconds of rest in between sets for 20 sets total in a time frame of 15 minutes

Now that's intensity. :cool: I just hope you have great knees there. My knees have been starting to pay its toll after years of heavy squating.

I remember before doing this leg routine with an insane training partner. We would warm up doing leg extensions to pre-exhaust the quad muscles. Moderate weight for 3-4 sets of 30-40 reps. Then hell begins. We'd do Leg presses for an insane amount of weight for 10 reps, immediately after we proceeded to the squat rack and to do front squats for 12 to 15 reps then finally do walking lounges for 50 yards with dumbells on hand. We'd rest for a min. and repeat the cycle 3 more times (4 sets all in all) We'd be finished in 20 mins. Those were the insane days.