Digital Cameras

by the way my brother has an olympus maganda sya although i heard olympus bagsak presyo kasi sobra competitive ang digital camera marketplace,

his is 6 megapixels and uses both SD and Sony Stick!

galing, so bale dalawa ang storage device nya within one camera...

More Than Just Megapixels

By Daniel Grotta and Sally Wiener

Pushing the old adage that more is better, most manufacturers market their newest digital cameras by touting how many more megapixels they have than previous or competing models. By this logic, a 4MP digital camera can't possibly be as good as one with 5MP, and an 8MP unit has to be better than a 6MP model. Right?

Wrong. Megapixels are a measure of quantity (the amount of data captured), not quality. A digital camera's image quality is based not on a single component, but on an entire system. True, the heart of the system is the image sensor, with however many megapixels, but that's only part of the equation of how image quality is achieved. Here, we explore some of the other factors that go into producing high-quality digital photos.

Pixels

More pixels do not necessarily make a camera better, but their size is another matter. Pixels on an image sensor are like shallow buckets that catch photons of light, which the sensor then converts into an electrical charge (electrons). The bigger and deeper the pixels, the more photons they can capture, and the greater the pixel's ability to record detail in the shadows and highlights (dynamic range).

Most digital cameras use either CCD (charge-coupled device) or CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) image sensors. Larger sensors generally produce greater dynamic range, higher sensitivity, and better signal-to-noise ratio, primarily because they have room for bigger, more light-sensitive pixels. For example, among 5-megapixel models, the Olympus E-1's CCD is approximately 4.2 times as large as the Leica Digilux 2's CCD, and 6.3 times as big as the HP Photosmart 945's. This allows for correspondingly sized pixels: the Olympus's pixels are 6.8 microns wide, while the Leica's are 3.4 microns and the HP's are 2.8 microns. (For information on an unusually designed image sensor, see

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1421879,00.asp.

Lens

A camera's lens is just as important to image quality as its image sensor. Depending on their design, lenses may have different resolving power and varied contrast and color characteristics. Generally, high-speed lenses (maximum apertures of f2 or larger) are better for available-light photography, but tend to lose more data near the picture's edge than slower lenses (f2.8 or below) when shot wide open.

Modern zoom lenses are every bit as good as fixed-focal-length lenses, but pictures shot at wide angles (28mm or 24mm equivalencies) have slightly more barrel distortion (where straight lines bow outward from the image center), while telephoto pictures (135mm-280mm) tend to produce the opposite, pincushion distortion. Extreme zooms (6X or greater) are heavier and harder to hold steady, which is why some better models come equipped with antishake technology.

The first digital-camera lens designs were taken from camcorders or film cameras. Some inexpensive models had plastic lenses, which frequently distorted colors and reduced the clarity and quality of light. Even the better models, which used optical glass, often produced vignetting (underexposure of image edges and corners), because light passed through the lens at oblique angles at the edges of the image sensor. (Light must strike image-sensor pixels head-on for the photons to be collected properly.)

Eventually, optical-glass manufacturers began building lenses specially designed for digital cameras. They made use of aspherical elements, low-dispersion glass, exotic color coatings, and other innovations. Some companies formed strategic alliances with distinguished lens manufacturers—Kodak with Schneider, Panasonic with Leica, and Sony with Zeiss—to add prestige and enhance lens quality. Cameras with brand-name lenses (or from camera companies with a history of superior lenses) almost always rate higher in our image quality tests.

With lenses, cleanliness is almost as critical as quality. Dust, fingerprints, or other surface impurities can significantly reduce image definition and integrity. Stray light can cause flare, chromatic aberrations, and other problems, so a proper lens shade is important.

Converter

Though it might come as a surprise, all cameras—film, video, and digital—capture analog, not digital images. The CCD converts each pixel's charge into an analog signal of varying voltage, and then an internal analog-to-digital converter (ADC) changes that signal into digital data (bytes). The better (and more expensive) the ADC, and the higher its bit rate (16-bit or 12-bit, as opposed to 8-bit or 10-bit), the smoother the transitions and the more details in highlight and shadow areas. While you can't (and shouldn't) select your camera based upon the type and bit depth of its ADC, cameras offering higher bit depths may produce richer images. (For more about the inner workings of image sensors, see

www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,1583,a=2036,00.asp

File Format

How images are saved can directly affect picture quality. Most users prefer the JPEG file format, which is often the only format offered on consumer digital cameras. A good compromise among speed, image quality, and space savings, JPEG is a compressed format that actually throws away image data to shrink the file to a smaller size. Most digital cameras offer two or three levels of compression. Some inexpensive models typically offer 8:1 to 25:1 compression levels, while better cameras' compression levels range from 2.7:1 to 8:1. Cameras with lower compression ratios tend to have cleaner images.

After testing a number of digital cameras with the ability to save RAW files, we now shoot almost everything in RAW format when image quality is the most important factor. RAW saves all related image data with no in-camera processing, allowing photographers great latitude in how they want their pictures to appear.

The Secret Sauce

Some digital cameras score very well on all our low-level tests, indicating that the lens, image sensor, ADC, and other components are quite good, yet their photos aren't up to our expectations. The key factor is how the manufacturer's color and imaging scientists program the camera to interpret the data that defines the photo. These proprietary algorithms help determine how—and how good—the picture will look. This explains why cameras with the same lens and image sensor (which are often sold as part of a kit) may produce images that look quite different.

If you like the pictures that a camera produces, it's probably because you like the choices the designers made, and those choices will likely be made in most cameras from that manufacturer. When you find a camera brand whose images you like, you will probably do well to stay with it.

Source :

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1585322,00.asp

• 1 month later...
Anybody has a Sony T7 digital camer? Any opinions on this camera? Saan kaya pwede bumili nito nsa mura? Thanks

i dont have the sony t7 but ive used it a few times....the first thing you might want this camera is for the thin design & the attractive appeal, imagine poping it out in a party and all your friends drooling on the size, the thinness of camera (4 credit cards stacked on top of each other) and the very big screen size which looks like its bursting out of its shell....BUT and a very bold BUT, thats about it where it ends.

The image in bright daylight is normal within other sub-compact cameras, in night or indoor shots its way below even the average of average cameras. The flash is weak, u'll read it in reviews but when you use it you'll say "sh*t there right", like all sony cyber shot the flash is weak about 6-8 feet (400 iso at 8-10 feet) but this is even weaker unlike canons ixus series they reach about 16ft but with help of 400 ISO at around 12-16feet). Alot of red-eyes, and again shooting under indoor it will be very average photos. Another is the battery very average, 75mins on full batt but your only going to get roughly 40mins or so of pure shoot-delete-review-flash on etc....The image tends to have alot of compression like ALL sony cameras even on FINE setting...

Again the image factor is all normal for a sub-compact camera BUT this just falls below some sub-compact cameras i'd go for Nikko, Canon SD series.....

This is only good if ur a bond type of gadget guy and wanna impress and show off to friends/chicks...trust me the appeal factor is 10/10!!! but the image factor is about 5.5/10....Only get this camera if you wanna bring this along with you to gimmicks or your local outing and dont want the fuss of bringing a big case etc as this T7 comes with a great case... to buy ofcourse!

BTW GUYS

Be carefully when buying new Sony cameras like the T7 or so with the badging of Carl Zeiss lens, while Carl Zeiss are very good optic lens...theres just a feeling that Sony is badging all of its cameras with Zeiss lens now to grab first time buyers or gimmick even the experience of buyers that they have Zeiss lens while they could just be normal Sony optics. IF you look before Sony only had about 2-3 models with Zeiss lens and those would be the very expensive ones, now Zeiss is bloody badged on every Sony camera...DO be careful and always check the camera out and read the reviews on them...

its like the THX certified logos you see on A/V recievers etc basically companies shift there components to George Lucas & his team and if they like it they badge it with THX Certified logo BUT many companies now are just paying the THX company to badge em without even letting em check it out...

BTW GUYS

Be carefully when buying new Sony cameras like the T7 or so with the badging of Carl Zeiss lens, while Carl Zeiss are very good optic lens...theres just a feeling that Sony is badging all of its cameras with Zeiss lens now to grab first time buyers or gimmick even the experience of buyers that they have Zeiss lens while they could just be normal Sony optics. IF you look before Sony only had about 2-3 models with Zeiss lens and those would be the very expensive ones, now Zeiss is bloody badged on every Sony camera...DO be careful and always check the camera out and read the reviews on them...

its like the THX certified logos you see on A/V recievers etc basically companies shift there components to George Lucas & his team and if they like it they badge it with THX Certified logo BUT many companies now are just paying the THX company to badge em without even letting em check it out...

i bought a sony videocam with carl zeiss lens, dcr-hc40. ang pangit ng stillshots. ang labo ng mga video. :(

here's my 2 cents worth....

I have tried using 2 sony Digital Cameras. A U-20 and a T1. Unfortunately, image quality was rather hazy. The T1 prices at about 30K but it's performance was not impressive at all. Not to mention that Sony's Memory Stick are far more pricey that other external storage devices.

with the Casio exilim series.. I started with the Ex-M2 and worked my way up to the Z-40 line through the years and i must say, IMHO, that the exilim series line from Z-3 going up produces better pictures than their sony counterparts.

I also had owned Canon SD400 and several other entry level digital cameras. Non of them satisfied me.

Currently, i own a Canon Powershot G5 and i'm having a great time with it. It produces high quality pictures. A great camera with DSLR features...

for a camera around 30 to 50K. i would recommend this camera or a G6.

here's my 2 cents worth....

I have tried using 2 sony Digital Cameras. A U-20 and a T1. Unfortunately, image quality was rather hazy. The T1 prices at about 30K but it's performance was not impressive at all. Not to mention that Sony's Memory Stick are far more pricey that other external storage devices.

with the Casio exilim series.. I started with the Ex-M2 and worked my way up to the Z-40 line through the years and i must say, IMHO, that the exilim series line from Z-3 going up produces better pictures than their sony counterparts.

I also had owned Canon SD400 and several other entry level digital cameras. Non of them satisfied me.

Currently, i own a Canon Powershot G5 and i'm having a great time with it. It produces high quality pictures. A great camera with DSLR features...

for a camera around 30 to 50K. i would recommend this camera or a G6.

thats the thing...a Powershot G5 etc will take better pictures than a sub compact camera because there bigger...dont expect or have high expectations from bigger cameras to subcompact camera to have the same level of quality.

However i dont agree with your statment that a canon sd400 was not good?? but a casio serious? a casio only the new Exilim EX-Z750 is the best from there exilim series to date, while the Z750 still has minor purple fringing, over saturation but one good points about casio is the features and options which seems endless & u can down town the saturation and level of sharpness...also by accessing the memory u can change the settings of the camera however warranty warning!!! I owned a Z-3 i hated it so much i couldnt return it so i tweaked the hell out of it with the memory menu...then i gave it free to my uncle...the images where so bad, the flash was the worst each shot was bluer than blue and very warm colours and also the Z3 never had a AF so how bad was that??

In all sub compact camera Canon still rules it, there images are sharp and retain more information than any other sub cameras that i have used...

i bought a sony videocam with carl zeiss lens, dcr-hc40. ang pangit ng stillshots. ang labo ng mga video. :(

yea bro its a big sham to sell more of their products but id advise video camera never ever do take good images even though it might go up to 7mega pixels soon dont count on it, just get a seperate camera...but yea even the video quality on a zeiss lens for video is sub par now...

yup, you heard me right sir. but that's just me. I used my exilim basically on outdoors and in places where bringing a G5 would be very inconvenient. I'm not saying that the Canon Sd400 produces awful pictures. For all i know, they are acceptable. I just had better experiences with my xilim when it comes to entry level cameras, that's all :blush:

hmmmm. well it seems that you know much about cameras also, sir. may i ask where i can buy a cheap marine pack for a cybershot P10 or an underwater case for an ex-Z40. just canvasing. Canon's underwater cases are too damn expensive.

yup, you heard me right sir. but that's just me. I used my exilim basically on outdoors and in places where bringing a G5 would be very inconvenient. I'm not saying that the Canon Sd400 produces awful pictures. For all i know, they are acceptable. I just had better experiences with my xilim when it comes to entry level cameras, that's all  :blush:

hmmmm. well it seems that you know much about cameras also, sir. may i ask where i can buy a cheap marine pack for a cybershot P10 or an underwater case for an ex-Z40. just canvasing. Canon's underwater cases are too damn expensive.

haha hey bro its alright, the xilim was packed with features but it lacked that extra quality i noticed with the others...they did get it spot on with the new xilim. But yea everyone has there own preference and anything that makes you happy and snapping pics all day long is good by me :thumbsupsmiley:

Newayz im not too sure where to buy it in philippines as im not from there but yea the underwater casing are expensive but their worth it. Dont ever buy a third party case too just because its cheaper, you dont want to take the risk of bringing your camera 50meters below and the case is leaking coz its cheap. So always get the original as they are fitted and made for your camera plus the extra materials they use for the casing i noticed are way sturdy than the third party ones ive seen.

its like u know the those nokia casings u can buy for cheap but the buttons out grow the case or the buttons are too stiff to press, well its like that with the third party one.

Guys how about the canon ixus lines? Any comments? What do you think would be the best subcompact camera to buy? Thanks

canon make very good cameras (features, battery, function), great optic lens and they produce superb pictures, how do i know haha i have 3 in total and my cousin got 1 of the new smaller SD series & about every store in australia is sold out on the new ixus series...

now it depends how much megapixel your looking for and what is your budget??

the list of Ixus series as follows & also other subcompact cameras i would choose;

Canon PowerShot SD500 (7megapixels)

(Digital IXUS 700)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_sd500.gif

This is the one i have, previous the IXUS 500 & IXUS 400...great pictures & very compact with a package of 7MP...if you have the cash get the top of the line IXUS its worth it....

Canon PowerShot SD400 (5megapixels)

(Digital IXUS 50)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_sd400.gif

Canon PowerShot SD20 (5megapixels)

(Digital IXUS i5)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_sd20.gif

Very good camera, no zoom but takes one of the best pictures for a very sub compact camera. You would be surprised when you see the photos of these cameras more like a medium - high end cameras...

Canon PowerShot SD200 (3.2 megapixels)

(Digital IXUS 30)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_sd200.gif

Canon PowerShot SD300 (4megapixels)

(Digital IXUS 40)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/canon_sd300.gif

others

Casio Exilim EX-Z750

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/casio_exz750.gif

7MP with tons and tons of features on manual mode and even for point & shoot users (30 best shot scene mode from food to dog to even soft flowing water)...Trust me the menu will even keep you busy i think 4tabs with 2/3pages per menu :wacko: ...

Sony DSC-P200

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/sony_dscp200.gif

Sony DSC-W7

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/sony_dscw7.gif

a little larger than the others but its still compact...

Sony DSC-T7

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/sony_dsct7.gif

i dont like this one but i only put it up here if you want a camera thats very good looking and will give u the chick power...good for day out or bright sun outdoors not good for indoor taking (weak flash range) however ok for those close ups for indoor....

Panasonic DMC-FX9

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/panasonic_dmcfx9.gif

not yet out but looks like a promise, the FX8 series was good mind you...

Nikon Coolpix S1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/images/nikon_cps1.gif

again theres a more sub compact cameras that are a little larger the very subcompact like the Sony DSC-W7 however these are the good subcompact cameras ive used and played around so far...but for others any opinions??