My Travel Photos

Or if you go 4 hours north on Interstate 395 (towards Lake Tahoe/Reno), you end up here - Mono Lake. This photo op doesn't exist anymore, at least not as shown. The lake level has been allowed to rise over the past 7 years and what you see here as a peninsula of tufas (calcified deposits from underwater hot mineral springs exposed when the lake level dropped over the past 40 years) is once again under water. Good for the lake but bad for photgraphers.

post-35-1086984273.jpg

agxo3,

Just a little tidbit about Bakers Beach. Just to the right of it is a nude beach hangout area. I guess you were concentrating on the scenery and not the nudists huh! :lol:

Nah....we got there about 5:30 pm so most of the nudists had lefrt by then. The nude section is around the point you see between where I was and the Gate. We went up there, saw the last one leaving - pero it was a guy. So no luck that day.

More nude beaches - or beaches where people go nude - down Highway 1 from around Davenport to Red, White, Blue beach just outside Santa Cruz. We were at Davenport one day and saw this guy hanging from a cliff shooting down. Kaya pala - may nude sunbather on the beach. We wen down to the beach and shot - she didn't mind.......

So - para 'di tayo ma OT -

here's one of the SF from down on the street. This is downtown at about 2nd St. and Mission......

post-35-1087438750.jpg

agxo3,

For the July 4th fireworks display, depending on the fog of course, you could try shooting the GG bridge as a background to the fireworks going up all over the place. The fireworks are in several places: Crissy, Fisherman's wharf, Pier 39 and the Ghirardelli.

For me, I might try to get on a boat off the Monterey Coast and shoot the fireworks shot off a barge overlooking Monterey bay. Depends on whether I can get friends to go.

agxo3,

For the July 4th fireworks display, depending on the fog of course, you could try shooting the GG bridge as a background to the fireworks going up all over the place. The fireworks are in several places: Crissy, Fisherman's wharf, Pier 39 and the Ghirardelli.

For me, I might try to get on a boat off the Monterey Coast and shoot the fireworks shot off a barge overlooking Monterey bay. Depends on whether I can get friends to go.

LexLuthor - sounds like you're in the area around here. Monterey area ka ba?

For 4th of July (and most holidays!), I tend to stay home. Maraming mga drunk drivers kasi - the roads are dangerous lalo na sa freeway at sa hills. So family gathering na lang.......at 'di naman kasi ako mahilig sa fireworks. I can see Great America, Shoreline, Moffet Field and San Jose fireworks from my back yard so okay na yun.

A few weeks ago, nasa Point Lobos ako with a group of Bay Area Pinoy photographers para mag-shooting. And then sa north coast (Eureka to Crescent City) for a photo workshop. Yung Roadside na pic doo galing sa north coast.

Eto na - isa pa........taken at Fort Point in SF, right under the GG Bridge.

post-35-1087491119.jpg

Not Monterey.

San Jose.

Don't want to do the Great America as I do not want to get caught in the traffic.

You're showing B/W.

Blackest black to the whitest white eh? You into that f64 thing ala Ansel A - zone wizard/gray controller/contrast master ka ba? Or should I say painting with light (exposure).

Not Monterey.

San Jose.

Don't want to do the Great America as I do not want to get caught in the traffic.

You're showing B/W.

Blackest black to the whitest white eh? You into that f64 thing ala Ansel A - zone wizard/gray controller/contrast master ka ba? Or should I say painting with light (exposure).

Hey! I work just outside Great America! No, I don't come around on the 4th either. I did many years ago - but now too many cars, too many teen gangster-wanna-be headbangers......besides, our parking areas are closed for the 4th. Not even open for employees. Bah!

I do mostly B/W. Range is whatever the image demands, but I usually want a shadow with just a hint of detail and a high that's not blown out. I'm more interested in tonal relationships and building an image using those tones. I do use a modified (simplified for my simple mind) zone system. Smallest practical aperture for sharpness and control over depth of focus. Gotta say - Saint Ansel was one of my heroes.

4x5 and medium format. And I have my own darkroom. You need it if you're going to play the zone/tone game.

Not much into digital at all - I find the tones too waxy and artificial. And when you convert to B/W the tonal relationships come out all wrong! Panchromatic film response and luminance are NOT the same!

Although - here's a digital image for you - in color, of course....

post-35-1087583591.jpg

agxo3,

Your last picture shows what film can do. Can see detail in the shadows. A digital would have lost detail in shadows.

Film has a lot more lattitude.

Used to do the darkroom thing too but they are all in the garage. I just threw out tons of mitsubishi paper developer and agfa, mitsubishi and ilford paper that I bought in Japan years ago. I used to print my color at SJ city college. They had color enlargers and processors that could print 11x14.

But alas, converted to digital last year and slowly learning to know the limitations of the ccd. It is easier traveling with a digital. No negatives to worry about being xrayed. And Costco will do 8x10 for $2.00 and will do a good job as long as you you know how they print. I have seen prof photogs get their large prints from them. I acknowledge that you will not have print control compared to having a darkroom.

Check out the comparisons of prof digital slrs (13mpix Kodak and 12Mpix interp Fuji):

http://www.onlocationportraiture.com/comp0.htm

And if you are interested in the dynamic range of these digitals, check out this thread:

http://digitalphotographers.infopop.cc/eve...65&m=4686053165

1984 - yup., CdC is a nice place. Bring a 4x4 and hire a guide to take you into the canyon. Here's one of the most famous sights in CdC - the White House Ruins.

Lex - this is a scan of a 4x5 transparency (Ektachrome 100GX) reduced to 300ppi and JPEG at low quality to make it fit.....no image manipulation AT ALL - take a look at the dynamic range. No digital sensor under $20,000 today can match this!

post-35-1087712767.jpg

agxo3,

If you're scanning 4x5 at high res, your files must be something over 3 mb each in jpg or over 16mb in tiff?

Must either must have lots of gig hd storage or you archive to DVD.

Must have the nikon super coolscan filmscanner to eat up the med format with firewire or scsi. interface to PC.

Yup the film has great dynamic range. Your picture proves it.

Mine kinda lost it at here Fountain Abbey. Highlight detail started to disappear. The quirkiness of digital is the white balance can be fooled and I have to postprocess if it there is a color cast.

post-35-1087757969.jpg

agxo3,

Fountain Abbey

I lost detail outside the window on this one.

One benefit with digital is that with a flip of a switch, I can go from asa 100 to asa 1600 and handhold the shot.

Just pointing out that film still rules. Not just film but med format.

You could take your work to poster size. What is the largest print you made?

Let's see more of your work. Do you have a website?

post-35-1087758722.jpg