165 replies to this topic

#41 tamisuplada

tamisuplada

Devirginized

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 07:11 AM

sheesh! everyone calm down, i guess this was a hot one for some of us, hence the misery this world is going through. i, for one, think this is an excellent topic. over the centuries science and religion has been seen as two warring camps, but this has been promulgated by people who are intolerant of ideas other than theirs. our belief system has to evolve (don't mean to offend creationist, but i cant think of a more appropriate word) just as society has. i do believe that the bible has a lot to teach us but i dont believe it should be taken in the most literal sense. i believe science has made great advances but i dont believe it is the alpha and the omega of life. i believe in a being, an entity, a maker if you will, who is greater than me and at the same time synomous with the .... how do i describe it.... proponderant of myself. i truly believe that i am not my body emotions and thought... those are not me but they are mine to protect, to nourish and to control. and both science and religion has made invaluable contributions to help me do that. ;)

#42 chancepassenger30

chancepassenger30

Cutie

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

nice arguments from both sides.

I for one believe that there is a God. I believe in the Bible and the lessons it teaches. But guys, its true that your shouldnt believe everything you read in the Bible. Of course, some of the facts may be exagerrated or inaccurate. Example, it says there that Abraham live to be around a few hundred years old (im not sure, basta impossible age), but that's not the point. It doesnt matter how old he lived to be, it could be that 1 year then is just 3 months (instead of 12 months), what's important is the lesson that the Bible was trying to impart to us.

If you look at other religions, marami rin naman inaccuracies and exaggerations diba?

#43 axlrose

axlrose

"The Game Tactician"

• (07) Avid Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts
  • Interests:It's all about computers...

Posted 05 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

hmmm...

The Bible is not a science book, yet it is scientifically accurate. We are not aware of any scientific evidence that contradicts the Bible. We have listed statements on this thread that are consistent with known scientific facts. Many of them were listed in the Bible hundreds or even thousands of years before being recorded elsewhere.

so bible and science are different...

#44 dyakhardy

dyakhardy

~~~tig-as-in~~~

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1677 posts
  • Interests:MTC gurls...woohoooo!!!

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:36 PM

even scientists are now considering the existence of a higher being

#45 jacuzzi

jacuzzi

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:20 PM

The apocalyptic ANC ad on TV depicts the situation of biblical authors-prophets describing the events of the future. Of course ancient personalities have no way of knowing the future in terms of modern words and expressions. They may have been given a window to what would happen but can they really relate to those who live today what they have seen? Their vocabulary is limited and their technology/culture is a lot primitive.

Biblical study is good. But one must devote time and effort and not just browse through literature as if it is a straightforward story. It is not a story but a collection of books with much more than stories. They are experiences that readers stand to learn from.

Many bible stories are seeds of blockbuster movies and classic novels. But before judging the Bible for its real worth, take time out to follow the instructions it provides because these stories would mean nothing if we keep repeating the problems they present.

#46 B-boy

B-boy

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

Science actually doesn't contradict God. Science is actually used for understanding God.

agree agree agree finally....

#47 B-boy

B-boy

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

There is a saying I heard Some time ago "Science without faith is lame... Faith without Science is blind"
The bible and Science merely compliment each other, they never contradict. Sciencetists do their best to justify what the bible has stated, it merely tries to confirm the fact from fiction.
Also, My theo prof told me that we should not rely heavily about the fact that everything in the bible is true. We must also take into account that these were written by ordinary people, those who do not have the knowledge we do. They wrote it so that men and women of their time may understand, get my point?

amen!

#48 X

X

The X Machine...

• (13) Giga Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11614 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:02 AM

hmmm...

The Bible is not a science book, yet it is scientifically accurate. We are not aware of any scientific evidence that contradicts the Bible. We have listed statements on this thread that are consistent with known scientific facts. Many of them were listed in the Bible hundreds or even thousands of years before being recorded elsewhere.

so bible and science are different...

Uh, EXCUSE ME!

#49 redshirt

redshirt

Theres no "us" in me

• (10) Super Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4912 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

I believe in Science

#50 Afablefelix

Afablefelix

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Technology

Posted 06 March 2007 - 10:41 PM

Hmmm... Just a thought... What if Adam and Eve were really primates or monkeys or whatever animal the Darwin Theory proposes man evolved from. :P

#51 happy rider

happy rider

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

This is only my answer to this:

I have faith in God almighty, savior of the world

I have high respect for science n it's value to human kind

never compare science to religion, bad gagalit si lord!!!!

#52 buwayahman

buwayahman

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

The apocalyptic ANC ad on TV depicts the situation of biblical authors-prophets describing the events of the future. Of course ancient personalities have no way of knowing the future in terms of modern words and expressions. They may have been given a window to what would happen but can they really relate to those who live today what they have seen? Their vocabulary is limited and their technology/culture is a lot primitive.

Personally I don't buy that explanation. If the writers were divinely inspired and had copied their god's instructions word for word, then why can't god say something like: "In the future, there will be something called the internet. Don't bother understanding it now. Just write it down exactly as I say: I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T." God was pretty explicit and detailed in the first few books--why couldn't be just as explicit?

Biblical study is good. But one must devote time and effort and not just browse through literature as if it is a straightforward story. It is not a story but a collection of books with much more than stories. They are experiences that readers stand to learn from.

Many bible stories are seeds of blockbuster movies and classic novels. But before judging the Bible for its real worth, take time out to follow the instructions it provides because these stories would mean nothing if we keep repeating the problems they present.

I agree that it is good to study the bible. It can be considered as an art form---similar to Homer's Iliad or Virgil's Aeneid. True, there are some things that we can learn about human nature and their mythology from these books.

But what experiences can the readers stand to learn from the bible? That we should commit genocide? k*ll people who work on the Sabbath? Practice slavery? Rape and pillage?

#53 buwayahman

buwayahman

Charmer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Actually, there should NOT be any conflict betweem religion and science.

Because if science goes against the teachings of a religion, THEN IT IS RELIGION THAT HAS TO CHANGE.

#54 gary_gnu

gary_gnu

Wooer

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

Bible

#55 ko5he4

ko5he4

ang putik balutin man ng ginto putik pa rin!!

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • Interests:bioengineering and genetic manipulation<br /><br />cloning and the likes..

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

religion and science
these two fields still has mysteries shrouded on them
science still has not answers to all our queries
and religion still needs more proof than just scriptures.
all that is certain when man perfects science and contains all the answer to his
questions, man will become supreme as God

#56 jbond

jbond

Lover

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1064 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:33 PM

science is based on explainable facts...
religion is on established beliefs...

science attempts to provide answers...
religion attempts to control society...

the Bible is a written compilation supposedly of historical content by man,edited throughout the centuries...it contains veiled facts and by opinion,fiction as well...

#57 wakanga0929

wakanga0929

Cutie

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

karamihan ng nababasa ko dito is hindi contradicting ang bible sa science...uhmmm okay let me cite a sample

bible say's "we came from adam and eve (human)"

science say's " we came from monkey's then evolve"

which is which?

#58 pogispotting

pogispotting

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:32 PM

basta alam ko there is a GOD talaga.... mahirap na..

#59 sensorium

sensorium

Virgin

• (02) Sinless
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

I am more of a scientific minded person reason being - science is based entirely on proven facts while the bible is more of historical data and stories that we have yet to be proven as true or correct.

I don't mean to offend the more religious people out there.

This is entirely my own opinion, no harm intended.

Peace. :rolleyes:

#60 fatsnake

fatsnake

Cutie

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 11:26 PM

para po skin realistic ang bible kaysa science.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users