63 replies to this topic

#1 lexraven

lexraven

Curious

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1280 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:06 PM

Most of us are employed in companies. Whether in top management or in the bottom rungs of the corporate ladder we all have the same basic needs.

1. We want to succeed

e.g. Get a higher salary, better position, more experience, more benefits ...
etc.

2. We also want to be able to survive

There are always problems that we have to deal with. There are events that we can't control but have to live with (e.g. government policies, new company policies, price increases) and people that stand in our way or try to pull us down.

I hope this thread would be a place for people to ask questions or put in and discuss specific tips and techniques they know or have used to help them succeed and / or survive certain situations.

#2 lexraven

lexraven

Curious

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1280 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:33 PM

Umpisahan ko na ...

QUESTION:

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO GET A PROMOTION / SALARY INCREASE ?

#3 chipmaker

chipmaker

Magnificent Bastard

• (14) Tera Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20141 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:01 AM

Umpisahan ko na ...

QUESTION:

WHAT CAN YOU DO TO GET A PROMOTION / SALARY INCREASE ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

working hard is only one part of the solution. you also need to trumpet your accomplishments. :D

#4 fortune_cookie

fortune_cookie

Wanton

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:24 PM

Politics is inevitable in any power struggle, so one should also know how to play the political game.

#5 l3v3l

l3v3l

LAST na TALAGA!! .. :)

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

Politics is inevitable in any power struggle, so one should also know how to play the political game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

F@ck d Political Game.. like how I play in RPGs... rush na..
ehhehehehehe...

joke lang..

well before you compete or join the power struggle.. do your homework first..

'nuff said..

:hypocritesmiley: :hypocritesmiley:

#6 ford610

ford610

Experienced

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:sports,music,computer,camera,tavel

Posted 15 November 2004 - 08:02 PM

>since m an manager for 22 yrs,never be loyal 2 your superior ,2 d company,protect your department,stand up & fight 4 it,d high up will certain know wat ur make of!r u an cat or an mouse?ha,ha

#7 xcalibr

xcalibr

Player

• (05) Regular
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:http://world2.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&amp;vid=31027875

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:33 AM

when is the best time to ask for a salary increase? taking into consideration that there is an annual increase. what are the best ways on how to ask for the increase

#8 MTBCommuter

MTBCommuter

Lover

• (07) Avid Member
  • 1552 posts
  • Interests:Mountain bikes, PC, Electronics

Posted 25 November 2004 - 11:40 AM

Loyalty to a Company doesnt exist anymore

#9 sakuragi2050

sakuragi2050

Experienced

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Good Time

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

I have been working for 6 years now but never got promoted. I know I am a good employee but my superiors do not appreciate my efforts. I managed to climb the ladder by moving to other companies. This year, I do not expect a promotion because a co-worker which is much senior than me is next in-line to be promoted. Is this normal?

#10 kanos

kanos

Har.. har.. har..

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1059 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:19 PM

I have been working for 6 years now but never got promoted. I know I am a good employee but my superiors do not appreciate my efforts. I managed to climb the ladder by moving to other companies. This year, I do not expect a promotion because a co-worker which is much senior than me is next in-line to be promoted. Is this normal?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

promotion should not be based on years of service but on performance.. but hey.. thats just me.. i had the same dilemma a year ago bummer ..

all i can say is .. swertihan lang yan... you'll get your chance (hopefully) :D

peace

#11 littlefox

littlefox

Mountaineer #5

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Basketball, Baseball, American Football, long talks with my wife

Posted 05 December 2004 - 01:42 PM

Don't be too much in a hurry. It's a lonely place at the top. Remember the butterflies.

#12 orionpax

orionpax

Autobot Leader

• (11) Wyld
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6460 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:02 PM

getting upstairs has its trade offs....less friends in R&F, more politics,more scrutiny, more criticism, rumors...etc... :D....

to get promoted? work..work..but back it up with accomplishments that are aligned to the mission and vision of the company as well as the unit are in or handling... :D

#13 Guest_event_horizon_*

Guest_event_horizon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:37 PM

working hard is only one part of the solution. you also need to trumpet your accomplishments.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with these.. more on the trumpetting part..

#14 Guest_event_horizon_*

Guest_event_horizon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:43 PM

when is the best time to ask for a salary increase? taking into consideration that there is an annual increase. what are the best ways on how to ask for the increase

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just to share some insights.. this depends on teh the company principles on rewarding employees... you can work your butt off and not get rewarded if the company does not recognize that it is an important part of the business.

generally, companies have good rewards/recognition practices.. which it almost always based on performance rather than years of service..

the best way to ask for an increase is agree with your manager on the direction (this should be set from way above you but a manager discssion is necessary to foucs on your specific business area). then set stretched targets and agree with your manager that if you achieve them, it is enough to merit you an increase. then make sure you deliver the results and exceed the expectations if you can. also, don't forget about the trumpetting part esp to higher management.

now, just want to make it clear that this will not guarrantee you an increase.. i said it is one of the best ways to ask for it.. not to get it..

#15 Guest_event_horizon_*

Guest_event_horizon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:45 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

based on experience, this is dictated by the culture of the company.. there are companies who promote based on performance.. some on seniority... but of course, it all depends on the politics involved..

i prefer not to get promoted to be honest just as long as i get yearly increases.. once you get promoted, the amount of s**t you deal with increases tremendously..

#16 kissing_bandit2

kissing_bandit2

Chaser

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:32 PM

based on experience, this is dictated by the culture of the company.. there are companies who promote based on performance.. some on seniority... but of course, it all depends on the politics involved..

i prefer not to get promoted to be honest just as long as i get yearly increases.. once you get promoted, the amount of s**t you deal with increases tremendously..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree! It really depends on the culture and structure of the company. Kung lahat kayo magagaling e di naman pwede kayo lahat maging manager. Siguro you'll be better rewarded but not promoted. Btw, seniority also connotes to business knowledge, pwedeng yun ang maging basis.

Just my thoughts...

#17 xcalibr

xcalibr

Player

• (05) Regular
  • 977 posts
  • Interests:http://world2.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&amp;vid=31027875

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:37 PM

thanks a lot ramon123

#18 nautica

nautica

Virgin

• (02) Sinless
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:About me:<br /><br />Quite, shy, lonely, and Mysterious. thats the real me I could still remember my early years. In real life I was cheerful, sweet, down to earth Guy, and romantic But When my Girl left me, I began to build a wall around my heart. Every year that wall grew taller and more fortified until eventually it became impenetrable. I want to tear the wall down, I really do. I just dont have the slightest clue how to do it. <br /><br /><br />Hobbies:<br />1. Surfing the Net.<br />2. Watching DvD <br />3. Bar Hopping Libis-Mkti-Qc....<br />4. Enjoy watching Airlplanes taking off in My office.... <br />5. Blind Date.<br />6. Making Love to a woman. (but now I'm free and Single....)<br /><br />

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:19 PM

For me its how you could Blind into the Company....always make sure that you have nice relationtionship with the people in and around the company. :) never rush things...... *strikers

:cool: :hypocritesmiley: :P

Attached Files

#19 lite_blue

lite_blue

Devirginized

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 12:07 AM

one thing ive learned is that never burn your bridges.. life is unpredictable..

you might meet again the person you really hate who knows where!

#20 scr3wdriv3r

scr3wdriv3r

Cutie

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 10:14 AM

to be promoted into management,
it is OF PRIME IMPORTANCE, to SUCK UP to MANAGEMENT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users