Current Events Tidbits Et Al

Dr_PepPeR, pls delete my post na po! We already done last Nov, 17-21 with 3 separate grp. Grp 1 went to Leyte Area Palo, Sta Fe, Alang-ALang, Tanauan, Dulag, and Javier! grp 2, Eastern Samar, Borongan, Basey, Hernani and Guiuan, grp 3 Coron Palawan. Hope we can go back Leyte Area on Dec.thnx Admin!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In case you're not aware, Metro Manila will be waterless for 3 or 4 days starting on April 16 I believe. Everyone should fill their pails/water barrels before this happens to avoid this horrible inconvenience.

Imagine an entire metropolis without water for 4 whole days. Only in da Pilipins.....

In case you're not aware, Metro Manila will be waterless for 3 or 4 days starting on April 16 I believe. Everyone should fill their pails/water barrels before this happens to avoid this horrible inconvenience.

Imagine an entire metropolis without water for 4 whole days. Only in da Pilipins.....

Imagine something like this happening in New York City or Los Angeles. The mayors/congressmen/governor of these cities and states will be under tremendous criticism. This would be world news if this ever happened in the US, Europe, Canada, Japan, and Australia.

It's better to lose power than it is to lose water.

Better start buying a lot of bottled water because the shelves may run out on or before these dates.

• 3 months later...

Typhoon Glenda (international code name Rammasun)is expected to directly hit Metro Manila on around early afternoon on Wednesday. Though it's rated as a mere category 1 typhoon, the prospect of a direct hit on Metro Manila could cause wide spread damage and flooding.

The effects on Metro Manila will probably be the equivalent of a more powerful typhoon (200 kph or more) at a distance of 150 km from the NCR.

We should all prepare for this coming storm. For once, expect wide-spread brown-outs. Fully charge your mobile phones tomorrow, Buy flashlight batteries, fill your pails with clean drinking water. Fishermen should avoid going out to sea starting tomorrow. Residents in low-lying areas should be re-located by LGUs.

For more updates, visit www.maybagyo.com. You may click on the different propose tracts the storm s expected to take, the strength of the winds, how much rain will be dumped, as well as the speed of the typhoon itsef.

post-89680-0-71308100-1405360938.jpg

post-89680-0-27230000-1405360966.jpg

post-89680-0-56825600-1405361035.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/philippines-braces-floods-tropical-storm-102221046.html

Philippines braces for floods from tropical storm

Associated Press

4 hours ago

MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The Philippines braced for possible floods and landslides as a tropical storm continued to strengthen on Monday as it approached the country's eastern seaboard.

Tropical Storm Rammasun was expected to intensify into a typhoon before making landfall Tuesday morning in Albay province, the government's weather bureau said.

Albay, about 340 kilometers (212 miles) southeast of Manila, is a disaster-prone province where mudslides from Mayon, the country's most active volcano, buried entire villages in 2006 and left about 1,600 people dead and missing.

Rammasun, locally named Glenda, was about 500 kilometers (310 miles) east of eastern Legazpi city as of Monday afternoon, packing sustained winds of 110 kilometers (68 miles) per hour and gusts of up to 140 kph (87 mph), government weather forecaster Rene Paciente said. It entered Philippine territory on Sunday while still over the Pacific Ocean.

Alexander Pama, executive director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, said the council's field offices in at least seven regions, including Metropolitan Manila, had been put on alert for landslides and flash floods.

"Our initial assessment is that there is not much on the wind. What we are wary about are landslides, flooding," Pama said.

Schools suspended classes Monday afternoon in some areas, including Manila, the capital. Local officials urged sea vessels not to sail in the storm's path, readied relief goods and prepared for the possible evacuation of residents, especially in flood- and landslide-prone areas.

Rammasun's impact is expected to be felt in metropolitan Manila starting Tuesday and will be over the capital by early Wednesday before moving into the South China Sea through either Bataan or Zambales province in the northwest, forecasters said. It is expected to be out of Philippine territory by Thursday, possibly moving toward southern China.

Central Philippine provinces have not yet fully recovered from the massive devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan last November. Haiyan's strong winds and tsunami-like storm surges flattened towns, leaving at least 6,300 people dead and more than 1,000 missing.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

next time naman, they will vote for the bail petition of Revilla and Estrada for the same plunder case which is a non bailable case.

Enrile was granted temporary release from jail for humanitarian reasons. His advanced age, deteriorating health and, to some extent, his vast network of connections in the judiciary (he's a lawyer after all) became the basis for his release from prison.

Revilla and Estrada cannot claim the same reasons. They're young and healthy. Unless they can use their acting skills to pretend they're in poor health, I don't think there's a chance for these two to be released temporarily for humanitarian reasons.

GMA may be in a much better position to petition the courts for temporary liberty for humanitarian reasons. She does look very frail and sick. There's now a legal precedent for her release.

http://media.philstar.com/images/the-philippine-star/headlines/20150901/iglesia-rally-separation-church-state.jpg

My suggestion lang ako. Na closed na kasi ung INC thread. Maganda cguro if we have a healthy discussion regarding the issue

"Separation of Church and State". Ang claim ng INC from what I know is that government should not intervene thus "Separation of Church and State". Pero ang pagkakaintindi ko naman government should intervene kasi may acts of criminal case involve. Ano ba talaga ibig sabihin ng "Separation of Church and State"? I hope that MTC members could share their views regarding this without attacking other religion. Just a healthy discussion please. :)

I'll check the topic then create a thread if Ok.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rest in peace Sen. Joker Arroyo.

Arroyo became famous as a human rights lawyer and freedom fighter during the Martial Law years. He challenged the constitutionality of the proclamation imposing martial law, helped political detainees like Ninoy Aquino, and handled many human rights cases.

Education: AB Law, UP; Associate in Arts Pre-Law, Ateneo

Professional background: Human rights lawyer, Executive Secretary from 1986-1987

Current term: 2007 to 2013

Eligible for reelection? No. It's Arroyo's second term at the Senate. He was elected to the Senate for the first time in 2001, following the botched impeachment trial of then President Joseph Estrada, where he served as one of the House prosecutors.

Political Party: Lakas-Kampi-CMD

source

Been reading the news about the candidates filing their CoCs and...I don't know which is worse. Na 'yung mga dating pangalan na mga pulitiko ang nagfi-file ng CoC. O 'yung mga kung sino-sino lang ang nagfi-file kasi trip lang nila. Sabi nga sa isang comment na nakita ko sa FB, "itong si [wannabe candidate], parang napadaan lang ng Ministop tapos naisip kumandidato" :(

Been reading the news about the candidates filing their CoCs and...I don't know which is worse. Na 'yung mga dating pangalan na mga pulitiko ang nagfi-file ng CoC. O 'yung mga kung sino-sino lang ang nagfi-file kasi trip lang nila. Sabi nga sa isang comment na nakita ko sa FB, "itong si [wannabe candidate], parang napadaan lang ng Ministop tapos naisip kumandidato" :(

I'm sure some of them mean well, but I can't help thinking they simultaneously woke up this morning and all had that classic Barney moment,

"Challenge accepted!"

• Like (+1) 1