Dreaming To Be A Famous Photographer

buttakkal

start with me mga parecoys.....

i just bought a canon manual slr camera in my bid to become a professional photographer at maging contributing photog for sexy magazines like FHM, Uno etc. hehehehe (dreaming ba?)

I hope this thread will spur discussion on photography basics and techniques necessary to transform a totally point and shoot photographer into a Xander Angeles.

my camera is a respectable FM10 canon. I didnt buy the expensive digital SLR (not yet) as some old timer photographer mastering film cameras is the only way to understand real photography....

your comments, tips, contributions....please...

start with me mga parecoys.....

i just bought a canon manual slr camera in my bid to become a professional photographer at maging contributing photog for sexy magazines like FHM, Uno etc. hehehehe (dreaming ba?)

I hope this thread will spur discussion on photography basics and techniques necessary to transform a totally point and shoot photographer into a Xander Angeles.

my camera is a respectable FM10 canon.  I didnt buy the expensive digital SLR (not yet) as some old timer photographer mastering film cameras is the only way to understand real photography....

your comments, tips, contributions....please...

Magandang profession yan sir!

If you're just beginning, there are plenty of short courses offered on basic photography. Also, there are camera clubs that can help you learn techniques, go on photoshoots, and even expose your work to the publishers.

There used to ba a camera store in Makati that offered lessons and had a camera club. They used to go on photo shoots in exotic locations with subjects MTC can be happy with. :evil: hehehe. Too bad they just closed down last month.

If you're really interested to become a world class photographer, you can enroll in NYIP (New York Institute of Photography) The website is www.nyip.com and read up.

A friend of mine who is now an accomplished photographer in NY started this way:

(1) he invested a great deal of time reading books about photography (he bought from second hand stores) and also did a great research in the internet - reading forums etc.

(2) he bought an entry level slr camera (second hand) and started experimenting with what he learned. He did not have the time to go to a formal photography class as he had a full time job that time with a bank and was a dotting father. So he just started taking pics of his family...during family occassions and really had good photographs taken.

(3) in one forum (i dont know...he was so shy to share it), he was able to meet another photographer who took pity on him and got him as an assistant (libre talaga as in he gets to pay for his transpo, etc.) and did part-time works with this photog. Doon lang nagsimula...he learned the craft and eventually started making good money with it.

(4) he continued researching on line. His batchmates in college who was fond of his talent recommend small corporate products/fashion fotog works for him and his photographer friend. Talagang maliit lang budget and he did not care. This made him improve his connections and craft.

(5) 2 years into the hobby, he started getting paid fotog jobs and was doing solo.

(6) he left the boring day job and went full time in photography although his income was way too low compared to what he was receiving. His wife nearly left him but decided to help connect the husband to real paying fotog jobs abroad. Doon nag simula lahat.....

believe me this really happened. kaya idol ko itong friend ko e. who knows baka im able to leave my boring day job and earn comfortably like him while enjoying the hobby i like.

i'm not a famous photographer and i still consider myself a student but i've made images that have been printed in billboards, newspapers and magazines.

1. focus on what you're doing. a lot of people who are into photography are heavily focused on their gears, while it does take your photography a notch higher and your clients will be impressed but in the long run it's the final product that really matters. sabi nga nila "wala sa pana yan, nasa indian".

2. shoot, shoot and shoot some more. you are not a photographer when you do not take pictures. spend a lot of time learning from your shots. if you're using film, take notes of your settings.

3. figure out what you want to do. while a lot of us start out shooting landscapes, sooner or later you'll have to focus on a subject that you can focus all your energies on.

....that's it for now.

I'm also addicted to taking pictures using my camera... now that I'm here in UK I've been taking pictures like crazy :lol:

aside from MTC's thread on photography... I also visit TPC's photography forum... which I find very informative...

By the way I'm using my Sony DSC-H1 5MPx camera... with 1GB mem stick :thumbsupsmiley:

buttakal: while most photographers have shifted to digital, a lot of us still use film once in a while. in commercial photography, photographers still use medium format film.

my film camera:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/9037/rolleicord3model2thumbnail9kx.jpg

Rolleicord III

I have a friend who is selling his SLR. actually 2 of em. 5k each. Is this a bargain?

Btw i heard him told me as well na may photographers price/fee daw if ever you want to develop your photos. Cheaper daw yun, is that correct? I am actually trying to start learning the ropes for photography.

Any guys who can help me by answering my Q's ? ;)

UNDergroundX: it depends on what kind of film SLR it is. Brand, Model and film size.

As for your question, the answer is yes, photographers get a special price from the photo labs for developing and printing. This is because most commercial photographers have their work printed in bulk on a regular basis. How much? A 4R or 4x6 print usually costs around P7.50, photographers get them at P6.50. it may not sound much but imagine if you're having 100 prints made on a weekly basis.

wow! finally i found a photography thread here...

ako din gusto ko maging photographer...

i have SANYO XACTI DMX-C6®

MPEG-4 movie(vga) with stereo sound

6.0 megapixel digital movie camera

optical 5.0x zoom

tapos eto naka engrave dun sa may lens 6.3-31.7 1:3.5-4.7

i dunno mga meanings nun.

i think video cam talga to pero super ganda rin ng pictures pag-eto gamit ko.

meron din ako sony cybershot DSC-L1 (4.1 megapixel) 3.0x zoom

anyone pls. i need advice...

can these cameras can get me started?

hobby ko mag-take ng pictures. mostly landscape and different things.

and also sana marami pang mag-bigay ng basic infos and tips, para sa kagaya kong aspiring....

thanks

Here's what I know... the numbers in your lenses are the lens ratio... its especially useful if you're using film cameras... but as far as digital is concered... it really doesnt mean much...

As far as printing... digital prints costs almost the same as film prints... what I like about digital prints is that they're easy to store unlike films... which most of the time discolors as time goes by... dont get me wrong... a 4MPx shot is almost the same as a 35mm shot with very minimal difference...

deejay4: your sanyo is a video cam. i'd suggest that you use your Sony for photos instead. You can do basic shots with your P&S (point and shoot).

Sabi nga "wala sa pana yan, nasa indian".

the 1st set of numbers (6.3-31.7) on your lens indicates the focal length of the lens, the second set (1:3.5-4.7)indicates the aperture or opening of the lens also known as f-stops.

and they do matter, regardless if it's digital or film as these numbers will affect the type of shots you'll be able to create.

deejay4: your sanyo is a video cam.  i'd suggest that you use your Sony for photos instead. You can do basic shots with your P&S (point and shoot).

Sabi nga "wala sa pana yan, nasa indian".

the 1st set of numbers (6.3-31.7) on your lens indicates the focal length of the lens, the second set (1:3.5-4.7)indicates the aperture or opening of the lens also known as f-stops.

and they do matter, regardless if it's digital or film as these numbers will affect the type of shots you'll be able to create.

thanks pinoize2k4...

isa pang tanong sir,

ano po ba mga basic stuff na kailangan para makapag-start?

yung tipong mga basic stuff na kapag meron ka, pede masabi ng mga frends ko na medyo advance na ako kahit paano, or masasabi ko sa sarili ko na im getting there... kahit basic lang.

digital cam lang kasi meron ako... what else should i have?

thanks.

thanks pinoize2k4...

isa pang tanong sir,

yung tipong mga basic stuff na kapag meron ka, pede masabi ng mga frends ko na medyo advance na ako kahit paano, or masasabi ko sa sarili ko na im getting there... kahit basic lang.

thanks.

actually having a dSLR will definitely bring your photography to another level. you will also need a decent flash that has advanced features and a sturdy tripod for those long exposure shots.

thanks pinoize2k4...

isa pang tanong sir,

thanks.

Just want to add that you'll also need time to practice taking pictures, studying them, and thinking of how to take a better shot next time.

What's good about digital is you can compose and take the picture, then view and critique, then take a better shot all within a minute or so.