The SM Complaint Thread

I have heard that one of Mr. Sy's first venture is a drug store that was forced to close down because of competition from a more stable Mercury Drug

if such was the case ....... then it was wrong for the SYs to be holding a grudge against the drugstore chain as that is what free enterprise is all about.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually before any event e.g. Anniversary, Holiday Sale

SM will send memo's to all of its suppliers

If you do not reply to the memo, SM will deem it as a YES

Therefore they will deduct it to your invoice ... <-- May Reklamo ka?

direct intimidation and silence is the best weapon sm has.

Does anybody here experienced their foreign currency exchange? Grabe dito parang napaka laking utang na loob mo sa SM pagpalit ng foreign currency mo, u have to fill out this form na napaka raming questionaire, pati serial number ng pera kailangan mo pang lista. However ang pinaka annoying dito eh kelangan mo pang lista address mo at telephone number na pag di mo na fill up ay di papalitan pera mo. I onced had an argument with them as they wanted me to put my address and telephone number which i declined, my reason is im just here to exchange this currency why do i have to give these details to you? They said its a requirement, i told ok pero di ko ibibigay tunay na addy at tel number ko sa inyo, ayun di na kumibo. That was my last with them, mas ok pa sa mga money changer mas mataas ang rate at walang maraming kaletsehan. :thumbsdownsmiley:

so i wonder y u guys still go to sm?

do u know they r the #1 destoyer of our industries here! they command the price of ur products. if u dont follow, ur out of their stores. if u follow, u will be forced to cut production cost or just close ur factory and import from china - u guess who gets employment. and they slap a 40% patong on everygoods that is sold in sm, which automatically will go to sm and you still have to pay rent, salaries, taxes on ur own

y pay parking fees? its clearly a rule in building code if you build a structure there should be a commensurate space for parking to be provided to customers. u go there to patronize their stalls and u r still punished by paying parking. In SHOPWISE Cubao - mas reasonable. u get FREE parking if you buy at least P300 of groceries. D ba FAIR! so where do the parking fees go - to pay for the CONTRACTUAL employees.

Who pays for the advertisements of SM (ads SM mismo and not the products) - eh di un mga tenants. Tama ang story that sm send letters to ask for solicitations kuno. kya nga solicitation, pwede tanggihan. Subukan mo lang tanggihan, pati ikaw tanggihan ka for lease renewal ng stall mo.

worst..they r also ur direct competitor as many of their own products are imported directly from china. so hu gets unemployed again and hu gets rich! instead of every1 saying lets spend family time by being together at home or go on a picnic - ang sigaw eh..go to sm. CRAZY! go somewhere else and not sm.

and where do they get their money to pay their taxes - YOU!!!

and who gets to be advertised as the great charitable company (where all goods and money are solicited from other sources except their own)...ur right again man - YOU!!!

SM - SADDIST MASOCHIST!!!

SM - SPEND MORE!!!

SM - SURE MONEY!!!

SM - SaMantala

go to TRINOMA nalang kayo, mas may taste ang products and most specially mas may ART and SUPERB DESIGN ang structure. Kaya nag gaya ang sm north and other malls nya dba! para kunyari may taste of art din sya pero #1 sa pagputol ng TREES and generation of TRAFFIC ang sm!

In fairness ... This is a requirement by Central Bank ...

.. remember that we have a Money-Laundering Law in place....

SM/BDO has one of the higher buying rates in the market ... convenient pa puntahan ang mga malls...

Grabe dito parang napaka laking utang na loob mo sa SM pagpalit ng foreign currency mo, u have to fill out this form na napaka raming questionaire, pati serial number ng pera kailangan mo pang lista. However ang pinaka annoying dito eh kelangan mo pang lista address mo at telephone number na pag di mo na fill up ay di papalitan pera mo.....:thumbsdownsmiley:

In fairness also ..

The family has no means to buy yhe whole EPCI .... having substantial shares (not controlling)

.... the EPCI stockholders gave BDO the control .....

In Chinabank ... The Sy family has controlling shares na .. so we are not surprised to see both BDO and Chinabank on SM Malls ... Chinabank has loyal client/account base way way back its existence .... it is better left the way it is

kaya pala naduwag si sm nang ipinasak sa lalamunan nila ang pci bank, courtesy of winstong mongoloid. tubong lugaw si winstong at natakot si bdo na maging mahirap ang buhay nya kapag tumanggi sya sa offer ni winstong
Edited by lomex32

All of us have reasons on going to one place and for not going

the same way businesses have their own reasons why they do business with SM and why some dont

To each of us ... well we all look forward to what establishment that best serves us ....

or which whill help our business to profit

Also as a business entity perhaps SM is doing something right .... more people come to their establishments compared to others....

They are willing to take the risks in putting up more stores on places we may think is ridiculous for a mall to exist.....

Life is unfair .... and that is a fact ....

It just SM had thought of these ways first .... dont you think that if others could have done the same

Now Robinson's also charges 20K for product debuts in their Supermarkets

They also charge parking fees

Puregold has no parking fee ... but i do not see all the stuff I need here .....

SM has an answer to Puregold ... SM Supervalue

SM has no answer to the Makro chain of stores... So SM buys them out

Trinoma has a long way to improve... Trinoma's multi-level parking, is a headache... whoever designed the traffic on this should be shot

SM MOA employed the lighted RED/GREEN parking slots

Emerging malls need to capture the way people/shoppers think ....so they can woo them into their establishment

SM using its SM Advantage Card .. can collects data, analyzes it and make decisions based on it ..in acceptable timeframes

They even use this on other SM affiliated establishments such as Watsons, gas stations etc..

+++

I agree SM has a unique way in doing business, treating employess, billing suppliers, charging customers .....

I wish we have a choice that can even up with SM ... life then can be more fair

so i wonder y u guys still go to sm?

do u know they r the #1 destoyer of our industries here! they command the price of ur products. if u dont follow, ur out of their stores. if u follow, u will be forced to cut production cost or just close ur factory and import from china - u guess who gets employment. and they slap a 40% patong on everygoods that is sold in sm, which automatically will go to sm and you still have to pay rent, salaries, taxes on ur own

y pay parking fees? its clearly a rule in building code if you build a structure there should be a commensurate space for parking to be provided to customers. u go there to patronize their stalls and u r still punished by paying parking. In SHOPWISE Cubao - mas reasonable. u get FREE parking if you buy at least P300 of groceries. D ba FAIR! so where do the parking fees go - to pay for the CONTRACTUAL employees.

Who pays for the advertisements of SM (ads SM mismo and not the products) - eh di un mga tenants. Tama ang story that sm send letters to ask for solicitations kuno. kya nga solicitation, pwede tanggihan. Subukan mo lang tanggihan, pati ikaw tanggihan ka for lease renewal ng stall mo.

worst..they r also ur direct competitor as many of their own products are imported directly from china. so hu gets unemployed again and hu gets rich! instead of every1 saying lets spend family time by being together at home or go on a picnic - ang sigaw eh..go to sm. CRAZY! go somewhere else and not sm.

and where do they get their money to pay their taxes - YOU!!!

and who gets to be advertised as the great charitable company (where all goods and money are solicited from other sources except their own)...ur right again man - YOU!!!

SM - SADDIST MASOCHIST!!!

SM - SPEND MORE!!!

SM - SURE MONEY!!!

SM - SaMantala

go to TRINOMA nalang kayo, mas may taste ang products and most specially mas may ART and SUPERB DESIGN ang structure. Kaya nag gaya ang sm north and other malls nya dba! para kunyari may taste of art din sya pero #1 sa pagputol ng TREES and generation of TRAFFIC ang sm!

Whatever you say boss.... Whatever Makro has SM does not ..... until now

Makro system did not use the default bar codes (most perhaps if not all) of commodities .... they have the flexibility of the inventory system at their own languange .......

Makro being a regional player (again if not global) in retail has the ability to muscle out (bypass) local distributions here in P.I. ..... by getting it anywhere in the planet where it is most profitable for them ...

This in turn will not only serve Makro ..... with all those Henry's interest ...

sm bought makro not because it had no answer but because makro had the answer. check out the inventory system of makro and its way too advanced for its local counterparts
Edited by lomex32
In fairness also ..

The family has no means to buy yhe whole EPCI .... having substantial shares (not controlling)

.... the EPCI stockholders gave BDO the control .....

the version I know is that mongoloid garcia of the gsis fame wanted a quick return from the pcib shares the gsis bought. he pestered the old man until garcia got the price he demanded in the first place.

Yep i heared about this one ....

I am not sure then who bought back the GSIS shares (i mean who's money)

... kaya liquid sila ngayon up to X-Billion to 2052

RB easy lang kay Winston... may MTC member tayo dito na pampangkin ni Winston... he is a spa owner....

the version I know is that mongoloid garcia of the gsis fame wanted a quick return from the pcib shares the gsis bought.

he pestered the old man until garcia got the price he demanded in the first place.

Some info:

- When you consign goods to SM, SM gets as much as 30% from the tag price (depending on the item and where it is placed - Department Store, Hypermart, Supermarket). On top of that, you have to pay for excess rental space/storage, ads, other fees, etc.

- Terms may be 120 days, but in fairness, they do pay on time on the said date. I've known some businesses with terms of 60 days but pay on 180 days... and I think that is much worse.

- SM's SKU System (their way of tracking the items in the inventory) is soooo crude. That is why their month-end report is so vague. To the point that the consignor (the one supplying goods), cannot pinpoint which of his items are sold. And reconciliation of the sales and inventory of the supplier becomes hell.

- Handyman has a better system, and can even tell you which of your items are sold. Macro also has a better system.

- SM can force you to an all or nothing deal. Meaning you must place your products in ALL SMs even those that don't profit. Otherwise, you can pull-out in ALL SMs.

- Boutiques pay 10-15% of their sales or a fixed rental whichever is higher.

But could you call this unfair practices? Not really. These are terms and conditions that the supplier could easily refuse. If you refuse, then you can move your goods to another store. But as Lomex pointed out other stores are following SMs practices. So you are left with basically no choice. Robinson's also does the same.

The suppliers put up with this practices because SM also delivers for them. If you place your goods in SM, exposure is at a high, sales will also go up for you. If you place it in another Mall, terms may favor you, but your sales would also drop.

Again, the practices of SM evolved because suppliers and people tolerated it. Supplier's accept their terms because they also benefit from it. True they will complain, but they also benefit from SMs high volume of people. Parking Fees are high because people tolerate it. Try pegging the fee at 200php fixed, and lets see if the number of vehicles parking there will drop, and their volume of people drop. But the rate it is now, is tolerated by people, because they want convenience, they want to shop something that only SM has, and a lot of other reasons.

Nice narration from Bill ..

To add

- The last time i remember, product debut in Robinson's is @ 20K per SKU ... not as bad mr Sy's eh ....

- If SM say they will penalize you ... they will (late delivery, no delivery, wrong order, BO etc)

SM Wins

- SM will add value to your product ... it give more class even to most unknown (Wow! Sold at ALL SM Supermarket outlets, NATIONWIDE)

- SMs programs like 3-day sales, holiday sales, rainy day or whateve day sales ... believe it or not ... boosts your sales ... moving your inventory and increase cash flow

Nice narration from Bill ..

To add

- The last time i remember, product debut in Robinson's is @ 20K per SKU ... not as bad mr Sy's eh ....

- If SM say they will penalize you ... they will (late delivery, no delivery, wrong order, BO etc)

SM Wins

- SM will add value to your product ... it give more class even to most unknown (Wow! Sold at ALL SM Supermarket outlets, NATIONWIDE)

- SMs programs like 3-day sales, holiday sales, rainy day or whateve day sales ... believe it or not ... boosts your sales ... moving your inventory and increase cash flow

Yes, SM penalize you for everything. SM Wins. But suppliers also Wins. The tendency here is if you get into SM, and you have the capital, try as much as possible to put in a lot of different merchandise. In the end, matirang matibay, but the one who can sustain will definitely earn a lot. Their growth potential is as much as SMs malls opening left and right. So the right term is

SM always wins.

Some suppliers win, some don't.

sm will sell your items at discounted prices for their mall sale but will inform you later about it. yes it will boost sales but decrease your profit margin even up to the extent of going beyond your own costing

I may be mistaken but actually, for mall sales, you will be informed a week ahead that there will be a mall sale. You can then choose which items you will mark down (and retag your sale items as yellow tags). SM will sometimes request some items to be "marked down" and will require you to participate in the Sale Events. But it is up to your promo heads/store heads/merchandizers/product managers/etc (different names for different organizations) to decide which items to mark down. Marked down items have to be retagged to yellow barcodes. So you will know about it (that is as far as i know).

Yes, costing is tricky, cause you have to consider a lot of factors. Like the commission (30%), payroll of your salesperson, cost of goods, etc. But costing is tricky in any business. My point is that in the end, the decision is still up to the suppliers of SM on what they will do?

SM din ang dahilan kaya nawala mga Sexy Films

Which just goes to show why some suppliers tolerate SM. SM can dictate what's in and what's out (figuratively speaking).

SM dictated, but other movie houses also followed suit. People could have gone to Robinson's Movie house or other competing movie houses to watch their Sexy Films. If there were a lot of movie patrons for this type of movies, then Robinson's could have earned bundles in the lost ticket sales of SM. I really don't know the full story of how the other movie houses followed. Can't producers earn if they just show it in other cinemas? Maybe not.

In that case, SM really is very influencial in dictating the market trends. Again, no wonder suppliers tolerate them.

sa aking observation mas mababa ang palitan ng US dollar or other foreign currency sa SM compare sa money changer sa labas.....nag survey muna me sa labas ng SM bago akong magpalit ng US Dollar dati pagkagaling sa foreign trip....tama ung post nung ibang members d2 sa MTC na hassle pa ung fill up form sa FOREX....tapos ang baba pa nung palitan nila

Biz Buzz - Phil. Daily Inquirer 6/10/09

http://business.inquirer.net/money/feature...-it-all--almost

BIZ BUZZ

We’ve got it all ... almost

By the Staff

Philippine Daily Inquirer

First Posted 20:08:00 06/09/2009

DON’T go looking for Colgate toothpaste in SM Supermarkets. Don’t go shopping there for Palmolive soap or shampoo either, because chances are, you won’t find any. That’s because the SM group and fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) manufacturer Colgate-Palmolive recently got into a tussle over billing issues, according to our sources.

According to the Colgate-Palmolive camp, the disagreement came about after SM insisted on a payment period beyond what is normal for FMCG items (a longer period would have positive and negative implications for either party, since “time is money”).

The SM camp, meanwhile, says the terms are static, and that a new Colgate-Palmolive manager who is “unaccustomed to the way business has always been done” has been pushing for better terms (that are clearly not better for SM).

Thus, Colgate-Palmolive’s products and merchandisers are no longer a fixture in SM Supermarket premises, prompting a high-stakes stand off between the two corporate giants.

Both firms rely on each other for a significant amount of their revenues. SM—the country’s biggest supermarket chain—is easily Colgate-Palmolive’s largest vendor. Colgate-Palmolive products, meanwhile, are some of the best-selling products of the chain, with daily sales estimated in the millions of pesos.

Yesterday, several SM Supermarkets showed thinning stocks of Colgate toothpaste, while Palmolive bath products were “out of stock,” according to the staff.

Neither side seems keen on prolonging the agony, however, and a source from the SM group said that they are “looking forward to resolving any differences.”

Of course, the question really is who will blink first? Daxim L. Lucas

Whatever you say boss.... Whatever Makro has SM does not ..... until now

Makro system did not use the default bar codes (most perhaps if not all) of commodities .... they have the flexibility of the inventory system at their own languange .......

Makro being a regional player (again if not global) in retail has the ability to muscle out (bypass) local distributions here in P.I. ..... by getting it anywhere in the planet where it is most profitable for them ...

This in turn will not only serve Makro ..... with all those Henry's interest ...

What about PUREGOLD boss.. What can you say about it ?

BIZ BUZZ

By the Staff

DON’T go looking for Colgate toothpaste in SM Supermarkets. Don’t go shopping there for Palmolive soap or shampoo either, because chances are, you won’t find any. That’s because the SM group and fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) manufacturer Colgate-Palmolive recently got into a tussle over billing issues, according to our sources.

According to the Colgate-Palmolive camp, the disagreement came about after SM insisted on a payment period beyond what is normal for FMCG items (a longer period would have positive and negative implications for either party, since “time is money”).

The SM camp, meanwhile, says the terms are static, and that a new Colgate-Palmolive manager who is “unaccustomed to the way business has always been done” has been pushing for better terms (that are clearly not better for SM).

Thus, Colgate-Palmolive’s products and merchandisers are no longer a fixture in SM Supermarket premises, prompting a high-stakes stand off between the two corporate giants.

Both firms rely on each other for a significant amount of their revenues. SM—the country’s biggest supermarket chain—is easily Colgate-Palmolive’s largest vendor. Colgate-Palmolive products, meanwhile, are some of the best-selling products of the chain, with daily sales estimated in the millions of pesos.

Yesterday, several SM Supermarkets showed thinning stocks of Colgate toothpaste, while Palmolive bath products were “out of stock,” according to the staff.

Neither side seems keen on prolonging the agony, however, and a source from the SM group said that they are “looking forward to resolving any differences.”

cant say I sympathize with colgate palmolive - these being imported products and all. maybe this is the sm take on "buy pinoy" campaign

I may be mistaken but actually, for mall sales, you will be informed a week ahead that there will be a mall sale. You can then choose which items you will mark down (and retag your sale items as yellow tags). SM will sometimes request some items to be "marked down" and will require you to participate in the Sale Events. But it is up to your promo heads/store heads/merchandizers/product managers/etc (different names for different organizations) to decide which items to mark down. Marked down items have to be retagged to yellow barcodes. So you will know about it (that is as far as i know).

Yes, costing is tricky, cause you have to consider a lot of factors. Like the commission (30%), payroll of your salesperson, cost of goods, etc. But costing is tricky in any business. My point is that in the end, the decision is still up to the suppliers of SM on what they will do?

this happened to a friend who supplied frozen foodstuff to sm supermarket. maybe they dont do this to major branded suppliers but definitely to small scale suppliers who cant do anything but wince in pain

Owned by pareng Lucio

PG has the lowest ave profit margin on basic commodities or should i say mga pang-masa items

What about PUREGOLD boss.. What can you say about it ?

That is why I trip down to Unimart and you just might find quality items that you wont find in SM ....

BIZ BUZZ

By the Staff

<snip>

Now, this is what I mean by suppliers not accepting the terms of SM. If SM blinks first, then the supplier won in this case. I think neither one of them can afford to loose the other. So the tendency is to meet halfway. Now, only if all suppliers coordinate their demands and do it in one time, then SM would definitely feel that they have stepped overboard in their terms.

this happened to a friend who supplied frozen foodstuff to sm supermarket. maybe they dont do this to major branded suppliers but definitely to small scale suppliers who cant do anything but wince in pain

Yes you are right. Maybe they don't do this to branded suppliers. Major players has more leverage to negotiate. But i do know that some of the conditions (such as the % of commission) is standard throughout SM (no matter what brand you have). Another thing, frozen food items is also a totally different ballgame. These items have a shelf life. And the longer they are on the shelf, there is a tendency of spoilage (not to mention the cost incurred to keep them in the shelf - refrigeration cost). So selling them at a sale, should or would benefit both parties and move the items before they spoil. But then again, am not in the food industry so I wouldn't know.

• 2 weeks later...

visited the somewhat newly opened SAVE MORE Supermarket along Araneta Ave (cor del monte) yesterday ..... I was just looking for some basic groceries since it was on the way home coming from lunch in retiro.

* They Dont have Canned Del Monte Whole kernel Corn. Instead, what was available is their "BONUS" brand.

* Tried to look for HEINZ Catsup but there was none also.

* Their Hunts Pork & beans are only available in small cans.

* In the fresh veggies section ....... no "spring onions" available.

Someday ........ their entire inventory may probably be purely "BONUS" brands.