Originals Or Revivals

• 3 months later...

can't argue with the originals being better... 'coz these musicians have set the "standard" on how to play their music... but we have to give credit for the bands that did revive these classics and reintroducing them to the younger crowd... (sorry, last line a bit OT) :blush:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i agree with most...originals are usually better. but there have been a few exceptions to the rules.

i guess sometimes, it's also an adaptation to the times. for instance, take the kami nAPO muna album. while i love APO songs, i find the remakes to be really well made. compare the original to the remake. it's hard to say which i like better, with each having their own qualities. i guess it will also depend on my mood. ^_^

• 4 months later...

Here's a song that kept on playing in my head for about a week.

"Mahal na Mahal" is a nice, upbeat, catchy love song written by Archie D. during the early 90's (naalala niyo pa?) then Regine Velasquez did a remake in her "Covers" album in 2004.

And yup, I like Archie D's version better than Regine's.

Edited by mwah
I respect - and I use respect very loosely here - artists/bands who put their own little twist to the songs they revive. At least they give the effort to make the song their own. What pisses me off is the proliferation of revivals in the local scene nowadays that offer no real change from the originals.

My pet peeve now is the murdering of Nakapagtataka by some loser band whose name I don't care to remember. Parang naghulog lang sila ng limang-piso sa videoke sabay kanta. No rearrangement, no creativity, no nothing...

And don't get me started with the trend of turning any random song bossa. Recently I heard Prinsesa sung this way. Sakit sa ulo.

Talent is clearly missing in the so-called artists being spewed out by record labels nowadays and their incessant rehashing of songs is undeniable proof.

i agree with... like when christian bautista made a revival or covered how can i fall by the breathe... that sucks...

on foreign bands... if you have seen well i think most of us here have seen 51st day... the revival of new wave songs were given a new twist by the bands that covered ... and it's wonderful to hear them and comparing them with the original ones... they did not 'murderize' the songs.....