All About Hongkong! Shopping, Hotels, Tourist Spots - Merged Threa

electronics (computer accessories, digital cameras, digital video recorders): sham sui po. paglabas mo ng mtr exit, yun na yun. may mga binebenta ring second hand cellphones and pda na medyo bago-bago pa. you can also try wan chai computer center. if you're into digital slr cameras, try mongkok computer center. maraming mga shops selling second hand digital slr.

clothes: central on a sunday. daming sales ng giordano, g2000, u2.

i agree with in_style. for electronics, go to haiphong road (that's the street perpendicular to canton and nathan. and along nathan, coming from haiphong heading north walk about 50 meters and you will see Park Lane Shopper's Mall. you may also want to try the side streets parallel to haiphong (south side) i was able to find good buys in those narrow alleys. if you're staying at hong kong side, try the small alleys (i think that's fashion walk and kingston) at the back of excelsior hotel (gloucester road.) avoid going to mongkok. medyo hassle dun. they know if you're a filipino. may signal sila sa bawat isa. tinataasan nila presyo. there was this bag they were selling for $100 HK in mongkok, i bought the same bag for 3 for $100HK at a small store in harbour city. caveat emptor! check around before splurging. and one more thing, get an orange card. i've benn using mine for the last 5 years. very convenient when going around. you can even use it at some 7-11 stores.  :)

Sir Dennis, may I know what is an orange card?

Sir Dennis, may I know what is an orange card?

He's probably referring to the Octopus card. It's really one of the things i missed most about HK. That card can be used to go conveniently around HK: pay your fares, get your food, buy some stuff.

And i didnt even have to take it out of my wallet! I just swipe it and the beep lets me know the deal is done. galing! :cool:

He's probably referring to the Octopus card. It's really one of the things i missed most about HK. That card can be used to go conveniently around HK: pay your fares, get your food, buy some stuff.

And i didnt even have to take it out of my wallet! I just swipe it and the beep lets me know the deal is done. galing!  :cool:

Yup its a proximity checking device. Sort of like the E-pass that we have at SLEX or the EC-TAG at NLEX only its much more flexible and personalized :D Sana maging ganyan na din tyo dito, cashless na ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi newbie here...

HELP!!

M planning to go to hongkong with friends, is it better to go with a tour group or just be on your own?

M worried if we will be joining a tour group, we might not be able to shop around and because of the schedule....

Which is the best choice?

This might be kinda off topic....

Hope you can give advice which is better... (budget wise, schedule wise, etc...)

Thanks......

• 1 month later...
hi newbie here...

HELP!!

M planning to go to hongkong with friends, is it better to go with a tour group or just be on your own?

M worried if we will be joining a tour group, we might not be able to shop around and because of the schedule....

Which is the best choice?

This might be kinda off topic....

Hope you can give advice which is better... (budget wise, schedule wise, etc...)

Thanks......

Eto kasi yun dude,

If you're not familiar with the place, maybe the tour can help pero nde sya enjoy for me. Sunod lang kayo ng sunod sa guide and medyo strict sila sa time. Plus na ang aga aga ng alis nyo. I think pick-up is around 5 to 5:30 am or depende sa tour.

But if you choose to go around by yourselves, just don't forget to ask from the hotel their card. Y? In case you got lost, you can ride a cab, just give the card to the driver and sya na bahala. Di kasi lahat ng driver marunong mag english.]

Another thing, bring a map. This will be very helpful not only with you guys going around but it also provides info about the public transportation you can take from one destination to another.

Hope this helps.

Jombatero, If you're going to Hong Kong for shopping -- I advise that you don't join the tour, get a free and easy package trip. If you're going to Hong Kong just for sight seeing - you join the tour.

You'll notice that package tours are cheaper than free and easy tours. The reason is that you don't have time to shop if you join the tour (hectic itenirary) and there are travel agencies that will charge you an additional USD$ 50.00 if you don't join the tour.

TIP ON SHOPPING: Tourists shop in Hong Kong, residence of Hong Kong shop in China. WHY? It's cheaper to shop in China and it's a train away (but beware of imitations).

• 1 month later...
ah ok. Thanks for the tip.

Seems like id be going with a tour, mukhang mas feasible, kasi medyo budgeted...

Totoo kaya yung mga naka advertise sa dyaryo.... I called them, pero

kadalasan, fully booked na raw...

Para tuloy ayaw ako papuntahin sa hk...

You might want to try going sometime around May-June...medyo mura hotels that time ata (at least nung pumunta kami

)...It's relatively easy to navigate around HK (either main HK island or Kowloon side)... tama sila, may mga mapa sa airport pa lang...very convenient at user friendly rin ang MTR (especially when going to Disneyland).

If you're in budget and willing to tour the HK side, try the tram..mura talaga (parang seven pesos lang equivalent nun in HK dollar)..try also eating the local foods..pero syempre piliin mo din yung maayos...

If you're into buying perfumes, try the shop bon jour..relatively mura din dun..

Enjoy!

Guest bleeding_angel

dont join tours coz it will waste your precious time. HK is easy to figure out anyway. just grab a map and choose the destination you wish to see. go there for the sights and not for the buys. it's really expensive in hk, even when the prices are discounted.

shopping in HK ... I must agree with what the others posted here ... don't join the tours ...

If you see or like anything in a particular shop .. lets say Giordano ... buy it na ... because if later on you decide that you like that particular item and you go to another Giordano outlet, it's not guaranteed that they have the same item on sale ... same with other outlets like Mango etc etc ...

Nine west outlets are much cheaper in HK compared to Manila ...

The esprit outlet in Tung Chung is the best esprit outlet ... they have the latest merchandise .... and a lot of items on sale ... (take the yellow line ... i think ... or basta take the Tung Chung Line .. and it's the last station ... the Mall is connected naman sa station ... better get the day pass kasi mas sulit ... baka nasa 20-30 bucks na yung one way fare ... last time i was there the day pass was 50 bucks lang .. . so if you're going to tung chung then back to central ... sulit na) ... may free gift check ka pa sa marina ... whuch you can use in any establishment there ... maski sa mcdonalds pwede siya ...

I agree ... go to china if you really want to shop ... but .. book it through your agent so that they will arrange na your visa ... kasi if you're going to get the Visa from here hindi masyado sulit ... they have group visas .. which comes out cheaper ...

and if you have bpi atm card with the cirrus logo just use that card in withdrawing money from their atms ... it usually comes out cheaper ... even with the surcharge for using their terminal ... at least that way ... you only take out the money that you need ...

sometimes its much better to buy perfumes from watsons than sasa ...

• 4 weeks later...

The first H&M store in Asia opened its doors on March 10 in Queens Road, Central in HK.

Bea_babe, I agree with you on shopping finds in Tung Chung. Not only Esprit but you'll also find discounted Calvin Klein, Giordano, Body Shop, Nike, Adidas and Quiksilver items in outlet stores in the Tung Chung Mall.

Some items are cheaper in Zara HK than the ones sold in Manila. Good finds are the kiddie stuff that are sold in the Zara store in Time Square (Admiralty).

Perfumes and skincare items sold in Sasa are more expensive than the ones sold in Rustan's.

times square is in causeway bay.

Shopping in HK Island means going around alley-alley in Central for cheap divisoria type goods, upmarket naman sa pacific place in Admiralty, stanley market is also good, syempre sa causeway bay (jampacked anytime of the day).

Sa Kowloon side, Tsim Sha Tsui is always a good bet, Ladies Market is the best for cheap merchandise pangpasalubong, Mongkok is also good (Langham Mall is impressive), for computers and video games go to golden computer shop in shamsuipo.

Sa New territories, OK ang Festival Walk sa Kowlooon Tong and New Town Plaza sa Shatin.

Edited by rise&shine
  • 2 months later...

I took my kids on their first trip to HK last month, we stayed at Marco Polo and Disneyland Hotel. Our best trip to HK ever, iba talaga ang Ocean Park and Disneyland for kids, their sense of wonder is infectious.

Shopping in HK is soo prohibitively expensive na, its cheaper to go to China nga and even Kuala Lumpur and yes our beloved Manila for some specifc signature brands.

Guest lustfortravel
dont join tours coz it will waste your precious time. HK is easy to figure out anyway. just grab a map and choose the destination you wish to see. go there for the sights and not for the buys. it's really expensive in hk, even when the prices are discounted.

I agree; they will just bring you to the jewelry shops, totally a waste of time :thumbsdownsmiley:

If you can master the MTR system and buy an octopus card for the entire stay, you can go on your own anywhere you like at your own pace! and that is the only way to fully experience Hong Kong. Don't forget to take at least one Star ferry ride ( although I prefer the ferries in Sydney and the more scenic routes :P ).

I agree as well. They'll just take you to the jewelry stores and other places most of us would rather not see. They're making money out of it. I suggest you take the MTR. It's very fulfilling to explore hongkong on your own, and it's very, very easy, unlike here in the Philippines.I agree as well. They'll just take you to the jewelry stores and other places most of us would rather not see. They're making money out of it. I suggest you take the MTR. It's very fulfilling to explore hongkong on your own, and it's very, very easy, unlike here in the Philippines.I agree as well. They'll just take you to the jewelry stores and other places most of us would rather not see. They're making money out of it. I suggest you take the MTR. It's very fulfilling to explore hongkong on your own, and it's very, very easy, unlike here in the Philippines.

Get a cheap hotel anywhere in Times Square, Orchard Road or in Kowloon. Then take the MTR. Do not get guided tours, the dudes here are right. They will take you simply to jewelry shops where they make extra income. Stanley Market is nice (they make personalized shirts there in 15mins for a song). If you wanna buy electronics, go to the stop right after Mong Kok (i forgot the name), they are very cheap there vs everywhere else. If you wanna change your dollars, best is somewhere near the night markets, they are giving better rates.

I will go there this year alone...funfunfun.. :goatee:

I have to agree with the above post. Clothes in hongkong are still a bit pricey even if you haggle to death. But they have more variety. I suggest you go to HK during their shopping festivals so that prices will be lower.

When it comes to electronics, don't hesitate getting them there. I recently bought a nikon d40 for 24k here in the Philippines. Last week, my girlfriend was in hongkong and told me that d40's there cost only 19,200 equivalent in peso. tsk.. i should have waited. But try getting those that have international warranty.