Migraine Tips

tazmanic

Guy's I realized that everytime I have my BP checked, it registers above normal... Lagi na lang high... I'm only 29yo but my regular BP is 130 over 90 or 130 over 100.. I also notice that my migraine had been frequent lately...

I'm a gym buff kaya medyo nagtataka ang trainor ko kung bakit mataas pa rin ang dugo ko... ANy suggestions my dear health professionals? :( :(

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imho. migraine is caused by other factors, but having a high HP can just be it.

i have migraine too, caused by food and stress, but my BP is on normal mode lang, usually 100/70 to 110/80.

i would suggset that you see a neuro to rule out other causes...baka mamaya may aneurism (tama ba spelling ko?) ka na nyan.

It's best to go to doctor to have a check up. 130 over 90 is the start of high blood pressure. If your BP is always 130/100 or 130/90, then you already have high blood pressure, and need to see a doctor. I suggest you go see a cardiologist. Other factors to consider - does your family have a history of hypertension (high BP), is your diet balanced or do you have a preference for meaty and oily foods?

If left untreated, your heart will become overworked, and will not last long. Your BP has to be maintained at a lower level, since you're only 29 years old. If you were 45 or 50, then 130/100 would be relatively normal.

When you say that you noticed your migraine is now more frequent- does this mean that you have had migraines before, but infrequently? are you sure you have migraine vis-a-vis headaches especially the cluster type? Your BP is definitely borderline hypertension, and you may be pre-hypertensive. Please provide a history of when you exactly noticed your BP elevating to such levels and aside from your migraine (if it is so), what other symptoms do you have? And what kind of exercise do you do? are you pumping iron or into cardiovascular workouts only or a combination of both.

I am a psychologist but my wife is an internist and psychiatrist. We both are active in the health field, especially in alternative and complementary medicine.

• 4 weeks later...
Guy's I realized that everytime I have my BP checked, it registers above normal...  Lagi na lang high... I'm only 29yo but my regular BP is 130 over 90 or 130 over 100.. I also notice that my migraine had been frequent lately...

I'm a gym buff kaya medyo nagtataka ang trainor ko kung bakit mataas pa rin ang dugo ko... ANy suggestions my dear health professionals? :(  :(

Try to have a blood test. You might have high levels of cholesterol in your blood. I have a friend who is a gym buff ganoon din like you.

Consider also that when you lift weights, you might be doing a valsalva manuever. Holding your breath. This increases the intra-thorasic pressure. This may cause an increase in blood pressure. Puwede din sa smoking bec. it cause hardening of the arteries. or you have a diet that is high in salt, which will cause water retention and leads to high blood pressure.

Guy's I realized that everytime I have my BP checked, it registers above normal...  Lagi na lang high... I'm only 29yo but my regular BP is 130 over 90 or 130 over 100.. I also notice that my migraine had been frequent lately...

I'm a gym buff kaya medyo nagtataka ang trainor ko kung bakit mataas pa rin ang dugo ko... ANy suggestions my dear health professionals? :(  :(

vanillasky, don't worry about your BP. it is still considered normal. when do you usually get your BP taken? kung late in the afternoon or after gym or any stressful activity, then it is expected in some people to have slightly increased values. With regards to your headache, has it been diagnosed as 'migraine'? the pain and discomfort that arises from it may also increase your BP.

Well, for the migraine (as you have said), or headache, the medications are almost the same.....Painkillers. For starters you can try Mefenamic Acid 500mg (try ponstan SF it works fast, around 15-20mins). If it doesnt work for you, you can try other pain relievers (diclofenac, celecoxib) with care. But if you are really bothered, i suggest you see a neurologist. At least you'll really know if you are dealing with migraine or just another type of headache. I won't say anything more 'coz i might cause you to worry more. just go see a neurologist ok? you'll be better afterwards. :)

For your concern about your BP. If there are people in your family tree with hypertension, you are at risk of having it too (but still, you might not). It doesnt hurt if you'll have daily BP monitoring (morning/afternoon) and have it recorded. even if you have your systolic pressure is >130 but <150 or diastolic pressure >90 but <110 you still need not worry about it. you just have to go see a doctor for you to have your hypertensive work up. Usually for this stage of hypertension, diet modification for 6months is advised. there's no need to take medications at this stage, unless there is really a problem.

so pare, go see a neurologist for your headache. then ask about your BP. para you'll have peace of mind ok? hope i am able to help.

• 2 weeks later...
imho. migraine is caused by other factors, but having a high HP can just be it.

i have migraine too, caused by food and stress, but my BP is on normal mode lang, usually 100/70 to 110/80.

i would suggset that you see a neuro to rule out other causes...baka mamaya may aneurism (tama ba spelling ko?) ka na nyan.

What's aneurism, its causes & symptoms?

What's aneurism, its causes & symptoms?

From MayoClinic.Com

A brain aneurysm is a bulge in an artery in your brain. Also known as a cerebral aneurysm, the bulge may pose little risk to your health — as long as it's small and it doesn't rupture. An aneurysm may go undetected indefinitely and produce no signs or symptoms.

However, some brain aneurysms are large enough to put pressure on surrounding brain tissue. Others may rupture at a weak spot in the artery wall, flooding an area of your brain with blood (hemorrhage).

People of all ages can have a brain aneurysm, but most develop as a result of aging. Most are discovered in people ages 35 to 60. Women are slightly more likely to develop an aneurysm than men are.

How serious an aneurysm is depends on its size and location and on your age and health. Small aneurysms are often best left alone, though treatments are available for larger aneurysms. A ruptured aneurysm may quickly become life-threatening and requires prompt medical attention.

Signs and symptoms

An unruptured brain aneurysm may produce no symptoms, particularly if it's small. However, a large aneurysm may press on brain tissues and nerves, possibly causing a droopy eyelid or double vision.

Once an aneurysm ruptures, signs and symptoms may include:

* Sudden, severe headache

* Nausea and vomiting

* Stiff neck

Less common signs and symptoms of a ruptured aneurysm include:

* Sensitivity to light

* Seizure

* Loss of consciousness

Most brain aneurysms develop as a result of the wear and tear on arteries that comes with aging. Recent research indicates that brain aneurysms aren't present at birth (congenital), as once was commonly believed. However, some people may have a predisposition to developing an aneurysm.

Rarely, a blow to your head or an infection in an artery can weaken an artery wall and result in an aneurysm.

Risk factors

If one or more family members had a brain aneurysm, you're at increased risk. Other factors that may contribute to developing a brain aneurysm or increase the risk of rupture include:

* Smoking. Among other effects, smoking may constrict your blood vessels.

* Use of stimulant drugs and medications. Drugs such as cocaine can cause a sudden increase in blood pressure. Some over-the-counter medications, such as cold medicines, also contain stimulants.

* Sudden increase in blood pressure. Certain activities, such as lifting heavy weights, and some health conditions can cause a sudden increase in blood pressure.

In addition, several genetic or inherited conditions have been associated with the development of aneurysms because they involve congenital defects in the structure of the arteries. They include:

* Polycystic kidney disease, in which the kidneys and possibly other organs develop multiple cysts

* Arteriovenous malformation (AVM), a condition in which an abnormal connection exists between arteries and veins in the brain

* A narrowing of the aorta at birth (coarctation)

* Connective tissue disorders, such as Marfan syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome

When to seek medical advice

Because a ruptured brain aneurysm can be life-threatening, seek immediate medical attention if you develop a sudden, extremely severe headache, particularly if it's accompanied by other signs or symptoms, such as stiff neck and nausea and vomiting.

If you're with someone who complains of a sudden, severe headache or who loses consciousness or has a seizure, call 911 or other emergency number or get the person to a doctor or emergency room immediately.

Screening and diagnosis

An aneurysm is likely to go undetected until it either ruptures or shows up on a brain imaging test that you might undergo for another condition. However, after an aneurysm has ruptured, there are a number of ways to confirm diagnosis. Your doctor is likely to begin with a physical exam and a neurological exam. A neurological exam includes checking your memory and concentration, vision, hearing, balance, coordination and reflexes. Then, your doctor may conduct other tests, including:

* Computerized tomography (CT). A CT scan of your head can reveal the presence of a suspected aneurysm and, if it has burst, show whether blood has leaked into your brain. Similar to an X-ray, a CT scan shows a more detailed image of your brain than a conventional X-ray can. Some scans involve use of a contrast dye injected into your vein. Known as CT angiography, this test produces an even more detailed image.

* Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This type of imaging uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed, cross-sectional images of your brain. When his test involves use of a contrast dye, it's known as magnetic resonance angiography.

* Cerebral arteriogram. This is a more invasive X-ray test. During this procedure, your doctor inserts a thin, flexible tube (catheter) into a large artery — usually in your groin — and threads it past your heart into the cerebral arteries in your brain. A special dye injected into the catheter fills your arteries so that they show up better on the X-rays. A cerebral arteriogram provides a clear picture of the arterial blood flow in your head.

* Cerebrospinal fluid analysis. This procedure, also known as a spinal tap, involves the use of a needle to extract a small amount of the fluid that protects your brain and spinal cord. Analysis of the fluid can detect brain hemorrhage.

Complications

Results of ongoing research known as the International Study of Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms indicate that small unruptured aneurysms have a low risk of rupture. However, some brain aneurysms are large enough to put pressure on surrounding brain tissue, and some may rupture.

A brain aneurysm that bursts can cause stroke, permanent nerve damage or death. A ruptured aneurysm on the surface of the brain causes a subarachnoid hemorrhage, bleeding into the space between your brain and your skull. When an artery in the brain bursts and bleeds into the surrounding brain tissue, it's called a cerebral hemorrhage. Other possible complications include:

* Fluid buildup in the brain (hydrocephalus)

* Narrowing of the arteries (vasospasm), which can lead to lack of blood flow to part of the brain (ischemic stroke)

Treatment

The decision to treat an unruptured aneurysm depends on a number of factors, including the type, location and size of the aneurysm, your age and general health and risks of treatment. Small, unruptured aneurysms appear to pose little risk of rupture, whereas the risk of treating aneurysms may be significant. So if you have a small aneurysm that hasn't burst, check with your doctor. Many are best left untreated. If you have a large aneurysm that hasn't burst, especially if it's pressing against brain tissue and causing signs and symptoms, such as headaches or impaired vision, you're more likely to need treatment.

Treatment options for ruptured and unruptured brain aneurysms include:

* Microvascular clipping. This surgical procedure is performed with general anesthesia. The neurosurgeon removes a section of your skull (craniotomy) to access the aneurysm. The surgeon locates the blood vessel that feeds the aneurysm, then places a tiny metal clip on the neck of the aneurysm to stop the flow to it. Then the surgeon replaces the portion of skull and closes the wound. If the artery that leads to the aneurysm is damaged, the surgeon may clamp off (occlude) all of it. The surgeon also may perform a bypass, grafting a small blood vessel to the damaged artery to reroute the blood flow.

* Endovascular embolization. This is a less invasive alternative to surgical clipping. You're given general anesthesia or sedation. The doctor then inserts a hollow plastic tube (catheter) into an artery, usually in your groin, and threads it through your body to the aneurysm. He or she then uses a guide wire to pass either tiny platinum coils or a small latex balloon through the catheter to the aneurysm. The coils or the balloon destroy the aneurysm by blocking the blood flow and causing the blood to clot.

Both procedures pose risks, including post-surgical stroke and damage to other blood vessels. Also, with both procedures, there's a possibility the aneurysm may recur and bleed again.

A large, randomized clinical trial compared microvascular clipping to endovascular coiling. The results, published in 2002, indicated that for people with a ruptured aneurysm who were equally suited to either treatment option, endovascular coiling produced a 22 percent lower relative risk of significant disability or death after one year than did microvascular clipping. Also, people treated with endovascular coiling tended to have a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery. However, more study is needed to determine the long-term outcomes of both procedures.

Other treatments for ruptured brain aneurysms are aimed at relieving signs and symptoms. They may include:

* Medications. Anticonvulsant medications can prevent seizures, analgesics may relieve headache symptoms, and calcium channel blockers can help widen narrowed blood vessels.

* Ventriculoperitoneal shunt. If necessary, your surgeon may surgically insert a shunt system that drains fluid from your brain to relieve harmful buildup of cerebrospinal fluid. This system consists of a flexible silicone rubber tube (shunt) and a valve. This artificial channel allows the fluid to flow away from the brain. One end of the channel begins inside one of the ventricles in the brain. At the other end of the channel, the fluid may drain into the abdominal cavity or into a chamber of the heart, where the fluid can be absorbed.

Prevention

To try to prevent the development of a brain aneurysm or lessen the risk of rupture:

* Don't smoke or use stimulant drugs. Both can cause a sudden increase in blood pressure and damage arteries.

* Limit caffeine intake. Caffeine is a stimulant that can cause a sudden increase in blood pressure.

* Avoid straining. Extreme activities that make you strain, such as lifting heavy weights, can cause a sudden increase in blood pressure.

* Be cautious of aspirin use. If you have an aneurysm, talk to your doctor before taking aspirin or other drugs that inhibit blood clotting because they may increase blood loss if you hemorrhage.

• 2 weeks later...

A balanced meal is always the best

Protein, carbo, fiber, etc....

Nowadays whetever food that you eat results to a corresponding sickness when cosumed wrongly.

Thus a balanced diet keeps the equilibrium.

Take foods that have abundance of HDL and VLDL <-- Good cholesterol - Fish

Avoid foods with LDL <--- Bad ones

so, what foods are best to reduce stroke and heart ailment?

Migrane with that bp means you're at risk to develop hypertension. Better consult your doctor quickly to avoid it going too high. I am 36, and my bp skyrocketed to 150/110 at one point about three weeks ago. That's very serious. I also go to the gym, pero going to the gym doesn't necessarily mean you're okay. Lots of factors affect bp: overall lifestyle. Punta ka nga sa gym, lakas mo ding kumain ng fat and salty foods. You're inviting disaster. The only good thing going for me is that it happened early, so I can still make lifestyle modifications. But that doesn't mean you should wait for that to happen. Bp for me now is 130/85 or such. Still high, pero at least now it's controlled through diet, exercise (of course) and medication (mataas cholesterol ko, so that's why my bp is high. ECG and x-ray are okay naman).

Migrane with that bp means you're at risk to develop hypertension. Better consult your doctor quickly to avoid it going too high. I am 36, and my bp skyrocketed to 150/110 at one point about three weeks ago. That's very serious. I also go to the gym, pero going to the gym doesn't necessarily mean you're okay. Lots of factors affect bp: overall lifestyle. Punta ka nga sa gym, lakas mo ding kumain ng fat and salty foods. You're inviting disaster. The only good thing going for me is that it happened early, so I can still make lifestyle modifications. But that doesn't mean you should wait for that to happen. Bp for me now is 130/85 or such. Still high, pero at least now it's controlled through diet, exercise (of course) and medication (mataas cholesterol ko, so that's why my bp is high. ECG and x-ray are okay naman).

migraines and above normal BP are symptoms. I suggest you get a cardiovascular workup. check your families medical history, check your work habits any changes, if you have become asocial hound or a computer geek these can also artificially elevate both symptoms. B)

I seem to have such symptoms.

Cholesterol level ko mataas after lab tests, i was given Vidastat to reduce it.

What test should i also undergo?

Indeed, i have a desk job .... and famili history both maternal and paternal !

migraines and above normal BP are symptoms. I suggest you get a cardiovascular workup. check your families medical history, check your work habits any changes, if you have become asocial hound or a computer geek these can also artificially elevate both symptoms. B)

Edited by lomex32

When we talk about elevated blood pressure, hypertension, is classified as those having their usual BP's at >140/90mmHg and thus would need medical management to control it, those having BP ranges from 120/80-139/89mmHg are classified as pre-hypertensives and require only to initiate lifestyle changes (e.g. watching what you eat, weight reduction, etc) and exercise.

What might cause elevated BP?

1. Atherosclerosis--hardening of your arteries due to cholesterol buildups on the wall of your blood vessels.

2. Too much sodium would also increase your water retention thus elevating your blood pressure.

3. Being overweight adds stress to your heart, and thus might increase the pressure necessary to move blood.

If uncontrolled, this may lead to target organ damage, especially the kidneys. It also increases your risk of having a stroke(especially in the young) and/or a heart attack. My dad had a cerebral hemorrhage (a type of stroke) at the age of 40 because he had hypertension but didn't take his medication. His BP was 200/120mmHg when he had a stroke, and yet he felt nothing prior to the vessel rupture(i.e. stroke).

Do not think that just because you do not feel anything that your BP is normal. you can have your BP as high as 200 and not feel a thing, this is because our blood vessels are not equipped with sensory nerves. Conversely, pain on your nape or your head does not necessarily mean you have a high blood pressure. Have yourself check, daming nagche-check ng BP for free. And do it when you're rested, at the same time of the day, kahit na everyday for a week, before you conclude anything. And if you have elevated BP, go see a doctor. BP medications are not as expensive as they use to be.

If you are prehypertensive, start changing your eating habits. Being thin does not guarantee anything. You may be thin but have high cholesterol because of what you eat. And if you're overweight, start losing weight. Studies have shown that weightloss for obese patients causes a direct decrease in blood pressure.

As for cholesterol, 2 things:

1. eat right

2. exercise

1. Eating foods high in fiber, like oatmeals, wheat bread, brown rice instead of white, and leafy vegetables. Nuts are good too, not the salted ones though.

2. Avoiding those that come from most animal sources like pork, and beef.

3. Fish has been shown to increase good cholesterol, especially deep sea fishes like tuna, salmon, and mackerels--just stay clear of the head, might have elevated levels of mercury.

4. Choose the oil you use, favor corn oils, canola oils, coconut or palm oils for frying. Olive oils for dressing. And better to stirfry than deep fry.

5. If you can avoid oil altogether, much better, specially for meats, because you already have the meat's fat to contend with. Boil, broil, steam, roast, or grill your food.

6. Experiment with herbs to enhance their taste rather than adding salt. (this one is more about BP than cholesterol)

7. Read labels. A food item though it says it has zero cholesterol, if they have a high level of saturated fat would still elevate your cholesterol as saturated fat provide the body ingredients to create cholesterol.

8. Exercise has been shown to increase your good cholesterol, exercise frequently. Brisk walking for 20-30mins a day, 3-5x a week, is sufficient to control your weight, manage your cholesterol, and bring down your BP if combined with a sensible diet.

I seem to have such symptoms.

Cholesterol level ko mataas after lab tests, i was given Vidastat to reduce it.

What test should i also undergo?

Indeed, i have a desk job .... and famili history both maternal and paternal !

I would recommend

first record your BP 3 times a day, when you wake, before you eat lunch, and when you get home in the evening

write down your diet for the week, do not leave out any snacks and record your water in take.

a complete blood workup

and then a consultation with a cardiologist, not a general practition.

I have met people that did not suffer from hypertension, but had just increased their work load, or just had a baby, or had financial problems. These can give you the symptoms and all you might need to do is modify your behavior.

Once you start taking meds for hypertension it is for the rest of your life. B)