Philippine/filipino References In A Foreign Movie

In the movie The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994), there was a girl speaking in tagalog. She's Julia Cortez, the one who appeared as the villain Rita Repulsa in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.

In The Rock (starring Nicolas Cage/Sean Connery), a cook was speaking in Tagalog... magmura! Pinoy iyon.. si Fred Salvallon iyon who starred in karate spoof Kung Phooey! (2003) and sci-fi Never Die Twice (extra lang).

In the Jackie Chan movie, Gorgeous (released here as High Risk --kasama niya si Shu Qi), there was a group of Pinoy singing "Leron-leron sinta" (tagalog iyon).

Can u add more?

Edited by jojo

My initial contribution:

In a Kim Basinger film, there was this guy who said, ""Sinabi mo tatawagan mo ako, e hindi naman." I think the film was "No Mercy." Really funny, because it came so unexpectedly. I guess the Filipino actor was trying to get a message home.

In "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" (a Hallmark production), this little girl said baro, saya, and sundalo.

In a recently shown episode of "Strong Medicine" on Hallmark Asia (actually, it was aired long ago in the US), Patricia Richardson said, "I know Tagalog." The thing is I couldn't really understand her "Tagalog" as she spoke it.

The Philippines was also referred to in that great, great, great film by Wong Kar-Wai, "In the Mood for Love."

in an episode of "without a trace", the mother of the filipino nanny had this line, "bakit pumunta pa tayo dito?". i wasn't really sure that's what she said until the daughter translated for the other people in the scene. the actreess playing the mom is korean-american so parang ang labo ng tagalog accent niya. i purposely watched the summer episode rerun just to wait for that scene. since hinihintay ko na, naintindihan ko na ang sinabi.

an australian comedy movie called "The Wannabes" the sub plot was about a filipina maid married to a rich puti guy and trying to con his money, in the last scene she was yelling swearing in tagalog...this was a real reference to a real filipina maid marrying a rich aussie bloke her name was Rose Porteous and when he died she got all the money and then her step daughter tried suing her but she put all her money and values for her two pet dogs!!

umm all of the Rob Schneider movies have references...his mom is always in his movies, in the movie the animal his wearing a Cebu t-shirt at the start, in the movie "Deuce Bigalow" there was a reference about philippines...

Guest Leviticus

Hehe.. in CONSTANTINE the possessed girl who was crawling on the ceiling was a filipina. medyo nagulat ako because during the scene at the height of her possession and John Constantine is about to exorcise the demon the girl/demon said "patayin natin sila". creepy.

ginawalng hell-speak pa ang filipino language :(

Hehe.. in CONSTANTINE the possessed girl who was crawling on the ceiling was a filipina.  medyo nagulat ako because during the scene at the height of her possession and John Constantine is about to exorcise the demon the girl/demon said "patayin natin sila".  creepy. 

ginawalng hell-speak pa ang filipino language :(

The reason for her speaking in Tagalog is found in a review of the film here.

how can we all forget, American Ninja was filmed in the Philippines with some flip actors and the main leading lady was suppose to be a flip but she wasnt...

the movie "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou " the original script called for the pirates to be Indonesians but since there weren't enough of an Indonesian population in Italy where this film was shot, it was changed to Filipinos.

not a movie but in the tv show "Jake 2.0" episode 4 "Arms and the Girl" was about a Flip arms dealer and Jake played by Christopher Gorham falls in love with the arms dealer daughter. They were suppose to be Flip but again the characters are played by a latin chick. Only the hench men looked Flip the chick was played by Emmanuelle Chriqui

in the movie TWO WEEKS NOTICE (2002) starring Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock. A Filipina maid (Iraida Polanco as Rosario) was complimented by Hugh Grant : "Rosario, you look like a young Imelda Marcos"

Connie and Carla, a filipino drag queen , Ian Gomez, has a thick filipino accent which makes him hard to be understood particularly David Duchovny (X-files) saying 'what?'...even at the end of the movie which was a musical, Ian Gomez blurted an english speech with thick pinoy accent and the whole audience said 'what!!?'

Edited by Anaheim
how can we all forget, American Ninja was filmed in the Philippines with some flip actors and the main leading lady was suppose to be a flip but she wasnt...

American Ninja (1980's, forgot the installment) where Michael Dudacoff is a trained ninja up against a terrorist group in the Philippines, with ninja henchmen ofcourse. It was shot in Tagaytay and Tony Carreon starred as the Mastermind of the terrorists (yung look-alike ni Ramon Mitra).

in 8mm, the main characters were discussing about a certain snuff film that they were investigating. Joaquin Phoenix told Nicolas Cage, that the Phil might be a possible source

Dagdag ko lang yung portion na nanunuod sila ng Snuff film, mga pinoy yung characters dun sa tape na may babae na tinataga. Sabi pa ni Joaquin Phoenix, "must be from the Philippines, ...it is from the Philippines!"

The film Apocalypse Now, released in 1975 starring Marlon Brando, Robert Duvall, and Martin Sheen, among others, was shot in the Philippines. In fact, my uncle was an extra in one of the scenes in a formal dinner sitting at the table in the foreground. :D

also to that Platoon was filmed in Philippines i forgot where but it was in Philippines....where did they shoot Apocalypse Now?

Before the filming of Platoon, Defoe woke up in his hotel room in Manila with the noise of tanks...i think this was during the Marcos era?? i read in a trivia...

A lot of "Vietnam War" movies were shot in our lovely PI during those days. Now, Hollywood producers seem to prefer Thailand. Or even Vietnam itself.

Ito naman. Remember that Australian production about EDSA I? I believe the title was "A Dangerous Life." Now this was about the Philippines, but a lot of the extras were Sri Lankan. I recall that there were some legal problems that led the producers to finish filming in Sri Lanka. But really, Sri Lankans as Filipinos? Oh well, I guess we all look alike to white folks.

I read somewhere that in recent Tom Cruise movie, they were considering Dina Bonnivie to be his leading lady.

I thik Delta Force 2 was shot here in the Philippines.

I forgot what movie this was, but the scene was there were 2 students studying about women in history. One of them mentioned Corazon Aquino.

Has anyone watched Constantine? the one with keanu Reeves? Nung may devil possession na ngyari sa bata sabi nung devil kay keanu "papatayin natin sila" tapos nung narebuked na yung devil sabi nung mommy nung bata "anak, anu ngyari sayo?"

Connie and Carla, a filipino drag queen , Ian Gomez, has a thick filipino accent which makes him hard to be understood particularly David Duchovny (X-files) saying 'what?'...even at the end of the movie which was a musical, Ian Gomez blurted an english speech with thick pinoy accent and the whole audience said 'what!!?'

I think the line was: "it's time for the grand pinale'" (grand finale).

there was also a scene there where he made referrence to making adobo for the other drag queens, i just forgot if it was pork or chicken...