• wisles likes this

#2 Chinese Chicken

Chinese Chicken

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:58 PM

i tried pingyang in malate and its not bad. mini shabu shabu is pretty popular... but i find it a bit too commercialized. anybody know where i can find a good, authentic shabu shabu place? i dont mind if its expensive but i want it to be reaally good.

gloria maris comes to mind. any other place you guys can recommend?

thanks! :mtc:

whoops. sorry bout the double post. :)

• Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

i tried pingyang in malate and its not bad. mini shabu shabu is pretty popular... but i find it a bit too commercialized. anybody know where i can find a good, authentic shabu shabu place? i dont mind if its expensive but i want it to be reaally good.

ping yang is good but a bit pricey...

you may try something equally good.. name is lau chan along mabini... try combination of chinese medicine soup and sate soup... yummy... and try their fried tao pao...

they only accept cash though.... price range for 4-5 people usually around 2-3k

#4 floppydrive

floppydrive

Veni, Vidi, Tipsy

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:04 AM

Have you tried Tian-Tian along Pasay Road, near the corner of Makati Ave? It's more of a Taiwanese style hotpot, but it's delicious!

For real authentic shabu-shabu, I guess you'll have to go to a Japanese restaurant frequented by Japanese. IIRC, the shabu-shabu in Furusato is very authentic.

#5 Chinese Chicken

Chinese Chicken

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

ping yang is good but a bit pricey...

you may try something equally good.. name is lau chan along mabini... try combination of chinese medicine soup and sate soup... yummy... and try their fried tao pao...

they only accept cash though.... price range for 4-5 people usually around 2-3k

oh right, i already tried lau chan too. very good shabu shabu... but i heard their food isnt clean? a friend told me they had a big cockroach infestation problem? :sick:

Have you tried Tian-Tian along Pasay Road, near the corner of Makati Ave? It's more of a Taiwanese style hotpot, but it's delicious!

For real authentic shabu-shabu, I guess you'll have to go to a Japanese restaurant frequented by Japanese. IIRC, the shabu-shabu in Furusato is very authentic.

whats the difference between japanese, taiwanese, and the traditional style shabu shabu? :) like what kind of stuff do you order in furusato? sliced beef, pork, fresh wanton, etc etc?

#6 alpha quadrant

alpha quadrant

Cutie

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

the best shabu shabu i've tried is still gloria maris... food is great, price is reasonable. 5person around P2k.

• Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

i'm not sure bout the sanitary problem of lau chan but we frequent that place regularly and our stomachs are A ok...... so far at least hehehe.

i'd agree with gloria marie's hotpot.. yummy....

have you guys tried the hotpot of hapchan banawe..... soup is really tasty... the quality of food aint that good though... but heck.... the soup made it all worth while....

also, another inquiry, have you guys tried mixing your own sauce... like raw egg with a bowl of sate and minced fresh galic, a bowl of soy sauce, some freshly chopped chili and hmmm yen suay?

#8 badmintonguru

badmintonguru

Looker

• (04) Casual
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:06 PM

Tong Yang Hot Pot!! The Best for me.

they have braches in quezon avenue, megamall, tutuban center and pan pacific hotel. :)

#9 Chinese Chicken

Chinese Chicken

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

i'm not sure bout the sanitary problem of lau chan but we frequent that place regularly and our stomachs are A ok...... so far at least hehehe.

i'd agree with gloria marie's hotpot.. yummy....

have you guys tried the hotpot of hapchan banawe..... soup is really tasty... the quality of food aint that good though... but heck.... the soup made it all worth while....

also, another inquiry, have you guys tried mixing your own sauce... like raw egg with a bowl of sate and minced fresh galic, a bowl of soy sauce, some freshly chopped chili and hmmm yen suay?

a friend of mine does that. just raw egg yolk and sate+garlic i think. not bad... but i still prefer the basic soy sauce+garlic+sate+chili yummm.. best "soy sauce" for me has to go to lau chan. i dont care much about the soup coz im not really into drinking soup... makes me all sweaty and uncomfy. :P

Tong Yang Hot Pot!! The Best for me.

they have braches in quezon avenue, megamall, tutuban center and pan pacific hotel. :)

they have a mini shabu shabu in pan pac right? is tong yang better? its been years since i last ate in tong yang... and it wasnt even shabu shabu i think. :unsure:

#10 floppydrive

floppydrive

Veni, Vidi, Tipsy

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

oh right, i already tried lau chan too. very good shabu shabu... but i heard their food isnt clean? a friend told me they had a big cockroach infestation problem? :sick:
whats the difference between japanese, taiwanese, and the traditional style shabu shabu? :) like what kind of stuff do you order in furusato? sliced beef, pork, fresh wanton, etc etc?

The term shabu-shabu is really Japanese in origin and refers to a boiling broth of fish or chicken stock where vegetables - usually leeks, chinese cabbage, onions, golden mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (sometimes oyster mushrooms), carrots and thin slices of beef are dipped and consumed. It is usually accompanied with two sauces - a soy and sake based dip, and a sesame seed sauce. This shouldn't be confused with another Japanese boiling pot dish- sukiyaki, which has a sweet soup stock based mirin and bonito.

There are many other variations of this type of cooking, and different countries call it different names. In Taiwan, they also have something similar, but it's only called hotpot (not shabu-shabu). There are more kinds of vegetables added, and a whole lot of meats from fish to chicken to beef to dumplings. They usually offer two kinds of broth - a clear one and a sate one. Each restaurant has it's special dipping sauce, but it's usually based on a Taiwanese barbecue sauce (which is available in some groceries - red bull brand is a silver can with a red lid), with different spices added - chili, garlic, etc, etc. depending on the resturant or if in a house, on the cook.

The restaurants that offer "shabu-shabu" in the RP is really offering the Taiwanese version.

Hope this helps.

Edited by floppydrive, 31 July 2006 - 08:01 PM.

#11 Mesohorny

Mesohorny

Tease

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:28 PM

Lau Chan the best nera mabini. Price reasonably.

#12 maroon5

maroon5

Player

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

mern sa fortune resto sa may t kalaw. 9pm onwards mern 50% off sa shabu-shabu nla...havent tasted there pa eh...may be next time

• Guests

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:53 PM

i tried tong yang before.... errr.... for me, its too commercialized.. couldnt maintain the quality of food it used to serve... same with dong ya (in banawe which closed down already)

i gotta try out the fortune resto along t.kalaw some time... 50% off you say? hmmm....

but for me, i'd still rank lau chan as 1, gloria maries 2, ping yang 3...

hehehe

#14 Chinese Chicken

Chinese Chicken

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

mern sa fortune resto sa may t kalaw. 9pm onwards mern 50% off sa shabu-shabu nla...havent tasted there pa eh...may be next time

50% off on EVERYTHING? or just on the fresh seafood/veggies or something? can anyone confirm? :upside:

#15 Chinese Chicken

Chinese Chicken

Chaser

• (03) Newbie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

The term shabu-shabu is really Japanese in origin and refers to a boiling broth of fish or chicken stock where vegetables - usually leeks, chinese cabbage, onions, golden mushrooms, shitake mushrooms (sometimes oyster mushrooms), carrots and thin slices of beef are dipped and consumed. It is usually accompanied with two sauces - a soy and sake based dip, and a sesame seed sauce. This shouldn't be confused with another Japanese boiling pot dish- sukiyaki, which has a sweet soup stock based mirin and bonito.

There are many other variations of this type of cooking, and different countries call it different names. In Taiwan, they also have something similar, but it's only called hotpot (not shabu-shabu). There are more kinds of vegetables added, and a whole lot of meats from fish to chicken to beef to dumplings. They usually offer two kinds of broth - a clear one and a sate one. Each restaurant has it's special dipping sauce, but it's usually based on a Taiwanese barbecue sauce (which is available in some groceries - red bull brand is a silver can with a red lid), with different spices added - chili, garlic, etc, etc. depending on the resturant or if in a house, on the cook.

The restaurants that offer "shabu-shabu" in the RP is really offering the Taiwanese version.

Hope this helps.

thanks! can you recommend another place besides furusato that also offers authentic japanese shabu shabu? furusato is waaay too expensive for someone who has never tried japanese shabu shabu and is about to experiment with it hehehe.

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:36 AM

yeah, furusato is quite a pricy restaurant....

i didnt know furusato served shabu shabu...

used to go there a lot... not sure if the food there is still as good as before

#17 kerrmit

kerrmit

Tenken

• (08) Fanatical Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

It's still mini shabu shabu for me. No MSG or anything that makes my head spin afterwards. And you don't have to share the big hotpot with everyone (which doesnt affect me, but the hygiene conscious type of people lang) because each one has his/her own hotpot, hence the term "mini".

What works for me is that the quality of food is really superbly fresh. Allergic kasi ako sa seafoods na not-so-fresh, nangangati ang labi at lalamunan ko. Mini shabu shabu is one place where i can fealessly attack the shrimps hehe! And the owner gave me a discount card so im all the more excited to eat there everytime i get the chance (10% lang, pero babaw naman ng kaligayahan ko eh hehe). :)

#18 floppydrive

floppydrive

Veni, Vidi, Tipsy

• (06) Chronic Poster
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:25 AM

thanks! can you recommend another place besides furusato that also offers authentic japanese shabu shabu? furusato is waaay too expensive for someone who has never tried japanese shabu shabu and is about to experiment with it hehehe.

yeah, furusato is quite a pricy restaurant....

i didnt know furusato served shabu shabu...

used to go there a lot... not sure if the food there is still as good as before

You can also try Sugi (expensive, but not as expensive as Furusato), but check the menu first. I don't recall ordering shabu-shabu there before but they have a very extensive variety of dishes. The other places might be more expensive than Furusato - Tsukiji, etc.

By the way, the servings of shabu-shabu in Japanese restaurants were meant to be shared so it's usually good for 2 to 4 people.

#19 rozzDrovz

rozzDrovz

RONIN......destined to wander aimlessly forever.....

• (05) Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Interests:just about anything............nothing in particular...........let it come and let it go..........

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:41 PM

ei guys try DAVID's in Tomas Mapua

#20 lomex32

lomex32

The Eye from the Sky

• Ambassador
  • 10,551 posts
  • Interests:Automobiles, travel, cooking, computer gaming,

Posted 03 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Is this the same as STEAMBOAT in SIngapore?

And if so where is the closest one that is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users