Career Choices: Money Or Passion?

See I've got my own Quarter life crisis. :blink:

We all get to this one point in life where we make a final choice which road we'll be taking. Money or Passion?

ROAD 1:

If you had this job, everything was going well, good business was moving you up the ladder, and you were being bumped up to a very important position (say Business Develpment for example), and it ensured travel, profit shares, and good earned big pay, but it didn't move you... It didn't excite you... It didn't make you feel any alive, and it made you feel boring and dead, and not to mention the long hours of working 6 days a week and sometimes 7... BUT it would give you all the money in the world and give you what you want (security and material things).

ROAD 2:

Then there's the other road. Something that excites you, makes you feel alive, and would give you all the worthy experiences in the world... A life of meaning. But it didn't assure you any money or wealth, and you've never done it professionally and you'll be starting from scratch, at the bottom... But is a life of an artist and this is what you want to be.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to know what my fellow MTCers have to say... Well actually I just want to know what to do, I have actually told friends in past to go for ROAD 2 with ease, but the choice is actually very hard to make when its your life... Haaaayy.. It's so hard to turn away from money.... I'm 23 and these are the two roads I have to choose on SOON. It's like a choice between being Nathan or Peter Petrelli (sorry, "Heroes" fan right here!)... :P

Peace Out!

you're probably single.

when i got married, and moreso when i got a kid, i realized that no matter how much time i spent at the office, what mattered was what happened at home. and whether what i did during the day put food on the table, kept a roof over our heads, etc.

i'm still ambitious and want to get fulfillment out of my work, and for that reason i would not keep myself in an unsatisfying job. but having to worry about other people, gives you much perspective on life.

im not preaching, just saying this is a life stage thing. in a few years your private life may change drastically and you will have other decisions to make.

for now though, if my guess is right and you are single, id say road 2 is where youre leaning and should probably go.

IMHO,some of us would prefer to have road 1, coz in this road you can fulfill all your wants in life...nothing's wrong with taking road 2 unless all you want is a satisfaction to one's self....and unless as bene_factor had say "having to worry about other people, gives you much perspective on life" then you choose what you deem is right...... :goatee:

Bene_factor very good reply. well said.

you're probably single.

Well... I'm unattached is more like it. hehe.

im not preaching, just saying this is a life stage thing. in a few years your private life may change drastically and you will have other decisions to make.

That makes it harder. Because I do also want to prepare for that change as soon as I can.

for now though, if my guess is right and you are single, id say road 2 is where youre leaning and should probably go.

I'm not leaning. I'm stuck smack-dab in the middle.

I chose road 2 a long time ago, a career that lets me do what I love but does not offer the financial possibilities that other careers may offer.

Guess what: after more than 10 years this choise has proven to be the right one because it has turned from passion only to passion and money!

Reason: I love what I do and I am passionate about it, people notice that and gave me the chance to move up quickly.

So financial success came later but now I have both: passion and money.

whitetiger

“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” — William Shedd

This quote is too beautiful not to share with you.

When was the last time you set sail?

Depends on your goals or priorities. If one of the goals this year is to get out of your comfort zone — then sail along.

As for me, I'd go for passion. Strive for greatness. Life is too short, make it extraordinary.

if youre a family man, choosing option 1 may reap a lot of money yet you'll be deprived of precious time bonding with your kids or spending enough time with them. option 2 might be a better choice provided your earnings will be fixed so that your family will be assured on consistent monetary support.

option 1 might be a good start for singles.go up the corporate ladder.once financial security is attained, shifting to option 2 will be your retirement.any job that you enjoy and has a passion for it is just another hobby.