Open Source Software

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i use openoffice with my home laptop. great software! so far, i haven't encountered any incompatibilities between sharing my ms office docs at home and in the office. this software suite is highly recommended.

i've also tried firefox, pero since hindi sya compatible with our office systems, i had to uninstall it.

I am writing a proposal for our office to use open source software. Even for just 10 users initially, we would be saving about PhP200,00.00. That's real big amount which we can save.

I just thought, what if one time Microsoft products would simultaneously crash, fail, or just won't work because of whatever reason. Say the sourcecode of Microsoft products were embedded with some sort of a logic bomb which causes it to fail upon encountwering a certain event, activity, time or whatever. Do you think our offices, or even us personally, who are so dependent with Microsoft products would be able to survive?

Naisip ko lang... Ano sa palagay nyo?

i use openoffice with my home laptop. great software! so far, i haven't encountered any incompatibilities between sharing my ms office docs at home and in the office. this software suite is highly recommended.

i've also tried firefox, pero since hindi sya compatible with our office systems, i had to uninstall it.

Bro, ano Operating System na gamit mo sa openoffice?

Guest Leviticus

Im the IT guy here at the office. I always push for opensource software as much as possible for its stability and for economic reasons (heck.. its free!).

the main problem is with the users themselves. ang titigas ng ulo when it comes to conversion to linux software. yes, as much as possible I don't install windows here at the office; hihingi pa ako ng reason/justification why I will install windows xp and/or ms office and it must be a VERY GOOD REASON/JUSTIFICATION. nasa isip kasi ng mga officemates/users that pirated ang gamit ko and that I can just install and install as much as I can but they don't realize that the cost for formatting an XP computer is sooo high. Grabe nga eh.. masmahal pa ang software (Windows XP and MS Office = around Php22,000.00) kaysa sa hardware mismo. They keep on insisting on windows! :angry:

nakakafrustrate makipagrason sa kanila; kesyo familiar na raw sila sa windows and ms office, kesyo matagal magaral, kesyo hindi raw nila alam, kesyo ang pangit, kesyo hindi compatible ang program, kesyo ang windows network hindi napapasok ng linux, etc.. hay. I believe lahat na ng rason narinig ko as an excuse not to migrate to linux or openoffice; but I can always dispute their claims that linux will not work.

The truth is, they cannot find a workaround when it comes to linux: too restricted raw (because tinangal ko ang mga music players, video players, java apps, applets), hindi sila makainstall ng chikka/skype/yahoo messenger/msn messenger, hindi mainstall ang mga iTunes and other mobile phone apps kaya angal sila. Hello?!? the computers at the office are for work and not for your personal enjoyment!

kung tutuusin nga openoffice lang okay na when it comes to office applications. may firefox naman for browsing (more secure than explorer; full of bugs talaga ang explorer)

here is a comparative list of programs

Winxp/ Linux/opensource

MS Word/ Openoffice writer

MS Excel/ Openoffice calc

MS Powerpoint/ Openoffice impress

Dreamweaver Frontpage express/ NuVu html/php editor

Winamp/ Banshee/Amrok

Acrobat reader/ Acrobat reader/Evince/Xpdf

Media Player/ VideoLan player

for your opensource needs visit www.sourceforge.org

Edited by Leviticus

brod leviticus! pareho pala tayo ng software source. hats off to sourceforge.org. pati mga tools for ipod dun na rin ako kumukuha (i used to have a tool installed on my laptop for recovering the filenames of songs in my ipod after i've deleted the copy of the song on my laptop).

i'm thinking of rebuilding my personal laptop from scratch. what's the most stable opensource (free!) OS would you recommend?

I am writing a proposal for our office to use open source software. Even for just 10 users initially, we would be saving about PhP200,00.00. That's real big amount which we can save.

I just thought, what if one time Microsoft products would simultaneously crash, fail, or just won't work because of whatever reason. Say the sourcecode of Microsoft products were embedded with some sort of a logic bomb which causes it to fail upon encountwering a certain event, activity, time or whatever. Do you think our offices, or even us personally, who are so dependent with Microsoft products would be able to survive?

Naisip ko lang... Ano sa palagay nyo?

Did a parallel install with m$ opis sa mga computer ng accounting department, initial issue was yung nakasanayan ng users specially mga matatanda hinahanap yung mga formula buttons etc... na nasa office. Another problem was that some excel templates, formulas and fields that were created by another company or user and get sent to us do not display properly. I made sure to make the default setting to save as xls, doc etc... and not the default openoffice format for compatibility, kasi if not they tend to just save tapos pag pinadala sa ibang tao, di naman lahat may openoffice kaya di mabuksan. Sa ease of use naman specially sa powerpoint, medyo malayo pa ang openoffice. Eventually siguro pwedeng replacement ang openoffice pero di pa rin pwede tanggalin completely ang m$ office specially sa large companies. Another trend nowadays is that free nga at opensource yung application pero may bayad ang support at extra features. Nakakatakot rin yung ibang opensource software na di masyadong sikat, mabagal yung developments tapos minsan biglang dropped na yung project. Nag try na rin ako mag set ng 4 na workstation running on suse linux with the equivalent functionality/apps ng mga katabing windows workstation eh inupuan lang ng mga tao for 3 days eventually wala na gusto gumamit, cumbersome daw kasi yung interface. :lol:

Guest Leviticus
Did a parallel install with m$ opis sa mga computer ng accounting department, initial issue was yung nakasanayan ng users specially mga matatanda hinahanap yung mga formula buttons etc... na nasa office. Another problem was that some excel templates, formulas and fields that were created by another company or user and get sent to us do not display properly. I made sure to make the default setting to save as xls, doc etc... and not the default openoffice format for compatibility, kasi if not they tend to just save tapos pag pinadala sa ibang tao, di naman lahat may openoffice kaya di mabuksan. Sa ease of use naman specially sa powerpoint, medyo malayo pa ang openoffice. Eventually siguro pwedeng replacement ang openoffice pero di pa rin pwede tanggalin completely ang m$ office specially sa large companies. Another trend nowadays is that free nga at opensource yung application pero may bayad ang support at extra features. Nakakatakot rin yung ibang opensource software na di masyadong sikat, mabagal yung developments tapos minsan biglang dropped na yung project. Nag try na rin ako mag set ng 4 na workstation running on suse linux with the equivalent functionality/apps ng mga katabing windows workstation eh inupuan lang ng mga tao for 3 days eventually wala na gusto gumamit, cumbersome daw kasi yung interface. :lol:

My solution at napilitan ang mga users gumamit ng opensource (heck, even mmigrate to linux) was to show them the economics. Kung pinilit nila na mag WinDOZE and m$ office then I just tell them to take their reasons/issues to the VP of operations. natural ang answer ng VP of operations is for them to justify the cost of maintaining a WinDoze environment; and it should be a VERY VERY good reason. Imagine mo na lang, how would you justify spending around P22,000 on software alone when there is a free alternative?

Next solution ko for their migration to openoffice is to provide references. kung angal pa sila I just tell them to read the manual. Wala naman differene ang openoffice with M$ office (sa word and excel) and rarely na gumagawa ng powerpoint presentation ang mga tao dito. They only use powerpoint kung may t@rantadong magsend ng email with powerpoint ekek attachment. Ang gusto kasi ng mga nandito panay spoonfeeding :angry:

My solution at napilitan ang mga users gumamit ng opensource (heck, even mmigrate to linux) was to show them the economics. Kung pinilit nila na mag WinDOZE and m$ office then I just tell them to take their reasons/issues to the VP of operations. natural ang answer ng VP of operations is for them to justify the cost of maintaining a WinDoze environment; and it should be a VERY VERY good reason. Imagine mo na lang, how would you justify spending around P22,000 on software alone when there is a free alternative?

Next solution ko for their migration to openoffice is to provide references. kung angal pa sila I just tell them to read the manual. Wala naman differene ang openoffice with M$ office (sa word and excel) and rarely na gumagawa ng powerpoint presentation ang mga tao dito. They only use powerpoint kung may t@rantadong magsend ng email with powerpoint ekek attachment. Ang gusto kasi ng mga nandito panay spoonfeeding :angry:

Exactly, more often than not ayaw lang talaga embrace ng tao yung bago at gusto nila yung "pretty" tignan.

men download ka na lang ng ISO image, para hindi ka gumastos.

wala akong mabilis na connection kasi

parang mas maganda ang GNOME kesa KDE!

Edited by brutus
Kung nasa makati ka, I can download and burn one for you, kunin mo lang sa office. Ano ba yung kailangan mo, for desktop/server/live cd?

LIVE CD BRO

para ma test ko muna bago ko i install sa Laptop ko

pwedeng UBUNTU at KUBUNTU para ma test ko pareho yung GNOME AT KDE

Salamat

Edited by brutus
LIVE CD BRO

Salamat

If you go to the ubuntu website you can actually register and they'll ship you a disk. i tried this and it arrived in a few weeks... pero i live in london and i dont know if that will ever make it to your address via the phil postal service.

tried running it on my laptop, runs great... although you might run into some difficulties with driver support for some devices if you're using something exotic.

Guest Leviticus
LIVE CD BRO

Salamat

Ubuntu 6 is default to gnome. ang ganda nga ng interface nito as compared to Windoze; one of the incentives sa mga sups to change to linux. hehe. it is a live CD and installer at the same time. and napansin ko as compared to the previous version, masmadali ang networking and software repository (mas user-friendly). If you are close to Makati area i can burn you a copy too. big fan ako ng linux. yun ang aking petix: to download linux distros off the internet. I use Suse 10.1 for my desktop here at the office. Napagkakamalan ngang Vista ang gamit ko lalo na kung 3D mode ang takbo (nakakabagal nga lang ng takbo but not that much)

Slackware na lang ang hindi ko pa nasusubukan. Ubuntu is debian based. I am more of an rpm junkie. try mo rin ang freespire (680+ Mb, the free version of Linspire, Debian based) and Zenwalk (490+ Mb, slackware based, am about to install it in a computer) distros.

other distros you can download off the web: fedora, centOS, old redhat distros for PIII units, BAYANIHAN LINUX (masyado mabagal ang download nito, better to get your copy from UP technopark; with support pa eto take note), Mandriva/Mandrake.

btw, sino dito may old copy ng LINDOWS? Meron ako before but the CDs got corrupted na :cry: perfect for PIII units sana and maganda pa ang interface neto. Pacopy ng mga installers if anyone has it.

Guest Leviticus
If you go to the ubuntu website you can actually register and they'll ship you a disk. i tried this and it arrived in a few weeks... pero i live in london and i dont know if that will ever make it to your address via the phil postal service.

tried running it on my laptop, runs great... although you might run into some difficulties with driver support for some devices if you're using something exotic.

I tried ordering the Ubuntu CDs before (Ubuntu 5). Took the package two weeks to arrive but complete CDs ang pinadala (32 bit, 64 bit, server) and may kasamang stickers pa :thumbsupsmiley:

Oo nga pala, one drawback with using Ubuntu and having a slow internet connection is the downloading of updates. Here at the office it takes me at least 45 minutes to 1 hour to download all updates (for Ubuntu 6) and that is using a T1 connection. Just turn off the updates when you're using a slow connection para hindi sagabal sa performance ng computer mo.

• 2 weeks later...