Engine Oil - All About It

if new car use synthetic, but when your car gets older there will come a point you have to switch to regular oil. either way you have to change every 5k, and not the 10k as recommended(synth). yup was also surprised cuz i use synth and change every 10k. so if your not into hi-po better use regular and change every 5k.

finally switched back to motul htec 10w40 for my cefiro. initial observation was that engine noise at idle. its quieter. to think that i only poured a 20w50 oil that just ran less than 300kms before switching. engine also revs freely. fuel consumption improved. my car is a guzzler. the best i could get before was 6-6.5km/liter. now i think i could get close to 7km/liter.

• 2 months later...

If you are an oil PURIST, The TRUE synthetic oils are those PAO (polyalphaolefin) + esther based lubricants. These are expensive to manufacture kaya mahal ang MOTUL, AMSOIL, ROYAL PURPLE.

Some oil companies have "FAKE" synthetic oils because they use a PETROLEUM-based (therefore not man-made) hydroisomerized stock lubicant. Unfortunately, CASTROL, PENZOIL, and most other CHEAPER synthetic oils fall under this category.

There was a big lawsuit in the US because of this. In the end, naka-lusot mga fake synthetics as the courts allowed a less stringent "synthetic" standard.

I took BIOCHEMISTRY kaya alam ko maraming pwedeng idaya sa Hydrocarbon molecules. Konting tweak lang sa isang molecule, iba na ang result.

Basta the general rule is:

NOT ALL SYNTHETICS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately ko lang nalaman kung city driving lang eh hindi nagkakalayo sa performance ang mineral sa synthetic...

Pero pag turbo ang engine eh kailangan synthetic talaga.

Pero regardless sa dalawa eh kailangan palit every 5thou kms/6months.

Edited by edc
just maintain a regular oil change every 5000kms. Mineral Oil are good enough

That is TRUE. Its better to change oil religiously every 5000kms using mineral oil than extending oil changes to 10,000kms using synthetics. Mas mura pa.

Although the oil companies don't want you to know this.

As the engine designer of Honda says: "OIL IS NOT WHISKY, YOU DON"T HAVE TO BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE. JUST FOLLOW REGULAR MAINTENANCE AS WHAT IS WRITTEN IN YOUR MANUAL"

As the engine designer of Honda says: "OIL IS NOT WHISKY, YOU DON"T HAVE TO BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE. JUST FOLLOW REGULAR MAINTENANCE AS WHAT IS WRITTEN IN YOUR MANUAL"

dapat sa mga Honda casa dito sa pinas eh mabasa nila yan.....Ang Change Oil nila pag fully synthetic eh 10,000kms!!!

A lot of people dont know that MOST Synthetic oils are just modified mineral oils. These are classified as Group III Synthetics.

Brands such as Castrol, Shell, Valvoline, Top1, Pennzoil, BP, and many others fall under this bracket. They are CHEAP to make.

The better oils such as fall under Group IV and V Synthetics. (PAO and Esters). These are the real synthetics as they are built up molecule by molecule.

Mobil 1 used to be Group IV. But lately naging HYBRID na siya. (actually a mix of Group III and IV). Nagtipid na rin sila kasi nobody knows the real story anyway. Mas malaki pa ang kita. Just spend more for advertising na lang.

Many of the posts here reveal that many don't realize that they are being fooled by the oil companies.

KAYA HWAG KAYO MAGPAPALOKO!!!!

Edited by ricoyan

the term fully synthetic and 100% synthetic are entirely different indeed. it would easily mislead an uninformed consumer. good thing motul is 100% synthetic.

there's nothing wrong with using mineral oil. as long as you follow the regular change oil interval and recommended oil for your engine. but if you want a better, more-efficient and livelier engine, you can go synthetic. why? i recently poured in motul 8100 xcess 5w30 on my other car and i can really feel the engine loosen up. as a car enthusiast, even the least details like these car can really be so much.

• 2 weeks later...

HOW TO MAKE SYNTHETIC OIL THE EASY AND CHEAP WAY (According to Shell, Castrol, Havoline, TopOne, Pennzoil, BP and many others)

1. Get hold of ordinary Mineral Oil.

2. Subject this fluid to high pressure in the presence of steam (ample supply of Hydrgen atoms).

3. TADA! Put the resulting oil with extra Hydrogen bonds in new synthetic oil packaging and TRIPLE the price. Allow a big ad budget to FOOL the masses.

Now I ask you, would you subject your car to 10,000 kms per oil change?

HWAG KAYO MAGPAPALOKO.