Favorite Core Exercises

Well said "fhoryou". Certifications at the end of the day are papers...you should look for instructors who not only talk the talk but walk the walk as well. The Philippine Kettlebell Club has Nico as the head. Just see him train with Kettlebells and you'll know that he is in every sense of the word...LEGIT.

That's one big understatement.. The way Nico explains things and breaks them down shows how much in-depth knowledge he has and how much time he has spent practicing with those kettlebells

Everthing has its own place...its a matter of how you will use these movements to improve your core's weak parts."

I think this goes for the whole body as well :)
Well said "fhoryou". Certifications at the end of the day are papers...you should look for instructors who not only talk the talk but walk the walk as well. The Philippine Kettlebell Club has Nico as the head. Just see him train with Kettlebells and you'll know that he is in every sense of the word...LEGIT.

That's one big understatement.. The way Nico explains things and breaks them down shows how much in-depth knowledge he has and how much time he has spent practicing with those kettlebells

Everthing has its own place...its a matter of how you will use these movements to improve your core's weak parts."

Guest Serenity12

For me Plank is my favorite core exercise, it's very simple but it really gives a great shock to both of your abdominals and lower back muscle simultaneously. Got to try it for yourself where you position yourself in prone on elbow (face down and your body and knees should not touch the ground) and hold that position to up to you tolerance... :goatee:

It's not my favorite exercise but I agree with you, its one of the effective ones. The plank looks easy but holding it as long as you can is another story. Same with side plank. I hate it but my trainer makes me do it and I'm glad he pushes me to my limit.

Guest fhoryou

Just came from a kettlebell work.

Thanks, this is base on my experience not just kettlebell but other situation. Like I have a relative died in a well equiped and high innovative hospital but sad to say they couldn't find anything wrong with her. After talking to friends, who are also known doctors, suggested this veteran doctor (Marcos' doctor before he got exiled) who is actually old school method and just one look without an equipment he knows what is wrong. Its like that TV series House but better and friendlier.

Anyway, as relation with this topic I did other workouts in my life like gym such as Slimmer's World or Fitness First but none the workout I got did ever benefit my body. I just wasted money that didn't show improvement after 5 months or so.

After finding out Functional Movement System and kettlebell I tried it out and after just 2 weeks my body got toned. After more than a month my central core and strenght increased. I was able to lift a whole sack of rice as if I was just lifting nephew who is bit chubby at 7 years old.

Guest fhoryou

Just to add.

When you say strengthenen the core it does not mean just the abdominals, lower back and oblique muscles. It does not mean also when you have a six pack on your abdominals you have a strong core or a strong abs.

When you say strengthenen the core its center weight or axis of your body is strengthen and it moves as one. It includes abs, lower back, obliques, thighs, all leg muscles, ball of the foot and how your center weight is placed.

When you strengthen the core its how your body manage to move keeping the center weight in place even if you lift something heavy or in motion at the same the the whole body move as one to give all your total strength.

Just to add.

When you say strengthenen the core it does not mean just the abdominals, lower back and oblique muscles. It does not mean also when you have a six pack on your abdominals you have a strong core or a strong abs.

When you say strengthenen the core its center weight or axis of your body is strengthen and it moves as one. It includes abs, lower back, obliques, thighs, all leg muscles, ball of the foot and how your center weight is placed.

When you strengthen the core its how your body manage to move keeping the center weight in place even if you lift something heavy or in motion at the same the the whole body move as one to give all your total strength.

Very well said Fhoryou. I also recommend Vaccums. Forgot about that. You can do it literally while typing your reply to this thread;)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add.

For many trainers, their idea of core strength lies in the strength of movement patterns. Those that believe that building strength in the standard movement patterns executed in the gym setting is enough to ensure the athlete's ability to generate true core strength/power output in a sporting event(or any other event/task for that matter) might be disappointed. Strength

of movement patterns is only one important aspect, not the only aspect.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fhoryou

For me squat is good for working on your core, also turkish getup using kettlebells. yun lang sobrang hirap talaga nung tgu, need to practice a lot to get it right :D

If you think that is hard you should try the man maker (kettlebell exercise)

Guest fhoryou

do you have a complete set of workout for starters

Of course, there is.

What kind of workout do you want? Is it FMS or weight lifting that people usually do?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exercise for Beginners – Flexibility

Why you need to stretch

Flexibility is important because having flexible muscles allows your joints to move through a full range of motion. You need a certain amount of flexibility to move smoothly, avoid muscle tension and to keep your body protected from injury.

Stretching is one way to keep the body flexible, especially the muscles that are tight as a result of bad posture. Although stretching is typically the most overlooked part of an exercise routine, it's an important one and, for many of us, the best part of the workout.

Why Should You Stretch?

• You'll improve your performance and reduce your risk of injury
  • You'll reduce muscle soreness and improve your posture
  • You'll help reduce lower back pain
  • You'll increase blood and nutrients to the tissues
  • You'll improve your coordination
  • You'll enjoy exercise more and help reduce stress

How to Stretch

1. Your best bet is to stretch after your workout when your muscles are warm and you're ready for a cool down. You don't have to stretch before your workout but, if you do, make sure you do it after the warm up. Stretching cold muscles can cause injury.
  2. When doing static stretches, don't bounce. Hold a comfortable position until you feel a gentle pull on your muscle. It shouldn't hurt and bouncing could cause you to pull a muscle.
  3. Try to hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds to get some long-term flexibility benefits.
  4. You can also stretch between strength training sets and you may want to perform light stretches throughout the day to deal with tight shoulders, neck and lower back.

When you stretch after the workout, try to hit all the muscles you used, paying close attention to any chronically tight areas.

Of course, there is.

What kind of workout do you want? Is it FMS or weight lifting that people usually do?

Hi Sir!

Would you know an FMS and Kettle bell work out program that is sports specific? I'd like to tailor my work out to improve my football game. (soccer) I tore my ACL and despite the operation and 8 months of rehab, i cant seem to get my VMO and quad strength back. I think I need a change in program. The problem with football is that its more strength, quickness, and agility specific. Lots of fast movements and changes in direction.

Thanks!

Hi Sir!

Would you know an FMS and Kettle bell work out program that is sports specific? I'd like to tailor my work out to improve my football game. (soccer) I tore my ACL and despite the operation and 8 months of rehab, i cant seem to get my VMO and quad strength back. I think I need a change in program. The problem with football is that its more strength, quickness, and agility specific. Lots of fast movements and changes in direction.

Thanks!

Just a question.

How's your hip adbuction and external rotation?. The answer might lie there. the main muscle actions that take place at the hip when kicking a ball are internal rotation and hip flexion. This often results in poor functioning at the opposing muscle groups(external rotator and abductor groups etc). You only as strong as your weakest link. Getting propper hip function back(if that's what was lacking) could get your quad strength back in no time.

The FMS is not a program but a system. It's designed not to add fitness uppon disfunction in the founder of the screening his words. So do not just pick up a bell(or any other tool for that matter) and start cranking up reps. First know your limitations and work on those. We need to have exersise progressions, but also regressions if required.

Hope this helps,

Nico D'haenen.

Hi Sir!

Thanks!

quick question: what is your current program like??

can you move without any discomfort or pain if it requires sudden change of direction or lateral movement??

Hi Sir!

Thanks!

Just a question.

How's your hip adbuction and external rotation?. The answer might lie there. the main muscle actions that take place at the hip when kicking a ball are internal rotation and hip flexion. This often results in poor functioning at the opposing muscle groups(external rotator and abductor groups etc). You only as strong as your weakest link. Getting propper hip function back(if that's what was lacking) could get your quad strength back in no time.

The FMS is not a program but a system. It's designed not to add fitness uppon disfunction in the founder of the screening his words. So do not just pick up a bell(or any other tool for that matter) and start cranking up reps. First know your limitations and work on those. We need to have exersise progressions, but also regressions if required.

Hope this helps,

Nico D'haenen.

Yes sir, this helps! Thank you.

A big problem for me know is a difference in size with regard to left leg (quad, vmo, itb and hamstring) compared to right. But my rehab doctor told me its normal after rehab because of atrophy. According to him that just because its not as massive, its not as strong. I finished rehab already. My problem now is im having a hard time playing because I seem to injure my good leg. Example, span of 6 months, I've pulled my calf twice, hamstring twice, and was even diagnosed for sacro illial lumbar strain. This is really because of over compensation because my brain still thinks my left leg is injured.

I do feel that my left quad and calf is weaker still thats why im trying to do both compound and isolation exercises on it.

quick question: what is your current program like??

can you move without any discomfort or pain if it requires sudden change of direction or lateral movement??

Hi Sir, I start out with 10 minute slow jog, then 30 minute interval training on the tread mill. i've been doing a lot of isometric exercises (single leg squats, lunges) barbell squats, deadlifts. Also been doing pull ups, , military, bench, dynamic rows, on a 5 rep, 5 set program. Also, dumb bell snatches, power cleans, leg press, hamstring curls. So yeah, not a lot of work on my hips. Just planks, hanging leg raise,s regular crunches. This is split over 3 days a week. I'm trying to find an inexpensive rocker board and wobble board. I was told that leg extensions shouldnt be done by acl victims.

the only discomfort that i feel is that when i run, or do ladder drills, my left leg doesnt feel as strong. then my left calf and quad vibrates a lot. so i assume it fatigues faster. no pain... maybe its just psychological. hehe

Thanks sir!