Top 10 Pba Imports

Richmond

pre, check mo yung Jersey # thread, kaya nag start ako sa 1, dahil k Fields!

Spur, pre, hated Bates when he played for Crispa kasi I was all for Toyota because of Andy Fields.. second lang sa list ko si Jawo.. I was so young then.. ah! the memories.. but I remember when Andy Fields blocked a dunk by Bates.. Grabe yun!

Ei, pre, medyo same interests nga yata tayo.. Madalas tayo mag-bump sa mga threads.. basketball and babes ha?

BATES - best import especially when he played for crispa

FIELDS - best defensive import

MANN - magaling daw although di ko napanood maglaro

SNAKE JONES - smooth operator

BLACK - mr 100%

PARKS - durable import

CHAMBERS - role import

HACKETT - workaholic

HARRIS - explosive import

JAMES HARDY - 1 conference lang naglaro sa crispa. when this guy jump, his head can touch the ring.

In my opinion (at least) these are the top imports to ever play in the PBA or in Philippine shore:

1. Billy Ray Bates – Who could forget the “Black Superman”? Virtually unstoppable during the time he played for Crispa in 1983. Returned for 4 tour of duties sa PBA, Crispa(1983), Ginebra in 1986, 1987 and 1988 but was replaced in his last stint with Ginebra, I read in a sports magazine na when he was replaced by Ginebra he reportedly called then Purefoods team manager Ding Panganiban and offered his service for Purefoods, when asked by Panganiban as to where he is, he answered he is in some night spot in Makati.

2. Tony “The Hurricane” Harris – (Swift) For his scoring ability and his slam-dunking prowess

3. Michael Hackett (Mighty bucket) – A great rebounder and 105 points in a single game is enough to have him in my list….

4. Ronnie Thompkins – (Swift) A great shot-blocker, he will challenge every attempt once he is under or near the basket kahit pa ilang beses siyang ma-goal tending….

5. David Thirdkill – (The sheriff) Tanduay in 1987 and then for Purefoods in 1988.

6. Gerald Honeycutt – Ginebra in 2001 then for talk n text in 2002, 2004 and 2005.

7. Jervis Cole – (Ginebra 1992) Workhorse of an import..

8. Art Long – (SMB 2002, 2004) Intimidating ang presence inside the shaded area, mainitan lang ang ulo

9. Michael Young – (Silent assassin) Who played for Manila Beer in 1986 and then for Great Taste the following year, great shooter and slasher/penetrator..

10. Dexter Shouse – (Shell & Purefoods) Could have actually led the Purefoods team to a championship pero tinoyo yata at umuwi na lang bigla..

Sa dami ng magagaling na imports na naglaro dito masyado maikli ang Top 10 so here are some other notable imports that have played in the PBA/Philippines shore:

Tony Lang – (RB) Nothing fancy but effective

Bobby Parks - Resident import ng shell, first played for SMB noong 1987..

Sean Chambers – Resident import ng Alaska team

Torraye Braggs (Ginebra 2004) – Workhorse of an import, had good inside moves at meron din medium range jumpers, tough defender.

Sylvester Gray – Played for Ginebra in 1991 then played for Alaska

Chris King (Ginebra)

Willie Bland – Isa siguro ito sa pinakamagaling na slam dunk artist na import na naglaro sa PBA, ganda ng haircut nito 

Norman Black – Mr. 100% himself

Carlos Briggs – Quite short for an import but makes-up for it with his impeccable outside shooting..

Darren Queenan – First played for Anejo then Purefood

Kenny Redfield - Always delivers when it is needed most...

Derrick Hamilton – Pepsi then for Alaska, sayang lang nahulihan ng maryjane; ganda ng syota nitong koreana ng makita namin noong PBA all-star ng 1994 or 1995…

Lamont Strothers – Resident import ng SMB noong late 90’s

Joe Ward (Ginebra 1988)

Rob Williams - Tanduay (1986)

Carl Mckoy- Tanduay (1986) Kahit na off-balance na he can still attempt and make the basket, teams up with Rob Williams for Tanduay..tama ba yung first name?

Ma Jian – Who unfortunately wasn’t able to strut his ware sa PBA, he led Hapee Toothpaste to their title conquest sa PBL noong 1997 (or 1998 yata ?) He could have been the first Asian import to play in the PBA, correct me if im wrong guys....

Clinton Wheeler (Ginebra 1986)

Michael Holton (Great Taste 1986)

Andy Thompson (Tanduay 1986)

Edited by Agent_mulder

Lamoth Stroters -SMB

Sean Chambers -Alaska

Norman Black - SMB

Bobby Parks -Shell

Devin Davis -Alaska

Terquin Mott -Mobiline/SMB

Artemus McClary- Mobiline/Alaska

Antonio Lang - Red Bull

Jerald Honeycutt - Talk n' Text

Art Long -SMB

- they all have attitude hehehehe

Edited by bosorero
1. TONY HARRIS

2. BOBBY PARKS

3. LAMONT STROTHERS

4. DERICK BROWN

5. DAVID THIRDKILL

6. CARLOS BRIGGS

7. RONNIE THOMPKINS

8. ANDY FIELDS

9. LEON WHITE

10.KENNY TRAVIS

Lamoth Stroters -SMB

Sean Chambers -Alaska

Norman Black - SMB

Bobby Parks -Shell

Devin Davis -Alaska

Terquin Mott -Mobiline/SMB

Artemus McClary- Mobiline/Alaska

Antonio Lang - Red Bull

Jerald Honeycutt - Talk n' Text

Art Long -SMB

- they all have attitude hehehehe

post ko lang yung mga napanood ko na top 10 best imports pero in no particular order.

1. 1st coming ni tony harris

2. lamont strohters

3. john best

4. devin davis

5. chris king

6. sean chambers

7. ronnie thompkins

8. antonio lang

9. kenny travis

10. ken redfield

10. Dexter Shouse – (Shell & Purefoods) Could have actually led the Purefoods team to a championship pero tinoyo yata at umuwi na lang bigla.. 

if i remember correctly, bumalik sya s US kasi nakakuha sya ng 10-day contract from an NBA team. ndi ko n lng maalala kung anong team. yun p nmn yung time na malapit ng mag-finals ang 3rd conference.

Edited by blitzz127
1. Billy Ray Bates – Who could forget the “Black Superman”? Virtually unstoppable during the time he played for Crispa in 1983.  Returned for 4 tour of duties sa PBA, Crispa(1983), Ginebra in 1986, 1987 and 1988 but was replaced in his last stint with Ginebra, I read in a sports magazine na when he was replaced by Ginebra he reportedly called then Purefoods team manager Ding Panganiban and offered his service for Purefoods, when asked by Panganiban as to where he is, he answered he is in some night spot in Makati. 

One of the real NBA superstars who played in the PBA. BRB was the annointed savior of the Portland franchise after their champioship run in the late '70's. A book on the rise and demise of that Bill Walton led Trail Blazers actually ended with a line (paraphrased): there is still hope for the future as the trailblazers picked a savior in the draft, Billy Ray Bates. He is still a legend in Portland and was a favorite in slam dunk competitions. I read that he defeated Clyde Drexler and another Portland player in the late '80's in a slam competition using an 11' ft goal.

5. David Thirdkill – (The sheriff) Tanduay in 1987 and then for Purefoods in 1988.

Owner of two NBA championship rings as a reserve on the '84 and '86 World Champion Boston Celtics. An unstoppable force during his run with Purefoods.

9. Michael Young – (Silent assassin) Who played for Manila Beer in 1986 and then for Great Taste the following year, great shooter and slasher/penetrator..

Rob Williams - Tanduay (1986)

Andy Thompson (Tanduay 1986)

These three and another one time PBA import, Alvin Williams were members of the famous Phi Slamma Jamma fraternity of the University of Houstan Cougars Mens Basketball team. This star studded team included future NBA hall of famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler. Olajuwon, Drexler, Williams and Young were all first round NBA draft picks. Rob Williams was also an All-America (third team) and was drafted No. 23 by the Denver Nuggets in 1983. He wasprobably the best pure shooting import who ever played in the PBA. He wasn't a chucker, he picked his shots well and shot with efficiency. And did he have range. He'd burn you from 3 ft beyond the three point line while being guarded by Billy Ray Bates. He was almost unstoppable from downtown. If he had a better partner in the third conference of the 1986 season to match up with the BRB and Michael Hackett tandem of Ginebra, he could have given the Tanduay franchise, the league's only second grand slam. Rob was paired withformer college mate Thompson to finish second behind the Gin Makers. Thompson's other claim to fame is that he is the brother of former NBA regular and LA Laker back-up center, Mychal Thompson.

Sylvester Gray – Played for Ginebra in 1991 then played for Alaska

Chris King (Ginebra)

Carl Mckoy- Tanduay (1986) Kahit na off-balance na he can still attempt and make the basket, teams up with Rob Williams for Tanduay..tama ba yung first name?

Gray was just a huge physical specimen. There were even doubts that he qualified for the height restrictions. He just looked menacing. He was probably 6'8" at least and built like a running back.

Mckoy's first name was Andre. Small school product and really unknown but had great talent and meshed well with Rob Williams.

One of the real NBA superstars who played in the PBA.  BRB was the annointed savior of the Portland franchise after their champioship run in the late '70's. A book on the rise and demise of that Bill Walton led Trail Blazers actually ended with a line (paraphrased): there is still hope for the future as the trailblazers picked a savior in the draft, Billy Ray Bates.  He is still a legend in Portland and was a favorite in slam dunk competitions.  I read that he defeated Clyde Drexler and another Portland player in the late '80's in a slam competition using an 11' ft goal.

I believe the first two points that Billy Ray Bates scored in the PBA came from a massive slam dunk on a drive. Kinda reminded you of Julius Erving. That was during the first Crispa-Toyota game of the 1983 Reinforced conference. Aside from the "Black Superman," Bates was also referred to as "The poor man's Julius Erving." When we first saw him, Crispanatics such as myself were ecstatic. That early, we already had the feeling that the title was ours. After that game, Toyota coach Ed Ocampo speculated that Bates might not last because someone was surely going to hit in the course of the conference. Some did, such as Dasalla and Manansala, but not in a way that would have injured him.

i just remembered dexter shouse! i remember the commentator saying "the sexiest free throw shooter" kse his lifting his shorts sa free throw line and mala purefoods pa ako hehehe

hell of a player, was he the one that ;lead purefoods to 0 lose in the elims and ending up leaving kse sa dami daw ng threat sa kanya? sayang hehehe

I believe the first two points that Billy Ray Bates scored in the PBA came from a massive slam dunk on a drive.  Kinda reminded you of Julius Erving.  That was during the first Crispa-Toyota game of the 1983 Reinforced conference.  Aside from the "Black Superman," Bates was also referred to as "The poor man's Julius Erving."  When we first saw him, Crispanatics such as myself were ecstatic.  That early, we already had the feeling that the title was ours.  After that game, Toyota coach Ed Ocampo speculated that Bates might not last because someone was surely going to hit in the course of the conference.  Some did, such as Dasalla and Manansala, but not in a way that would have injured him.

I was also a Crispafanatic though I was still a kid during Crispa's heydays. I remembered that dunk. The perfect picture in my mind of the Black Superman was his power drive to split the lane, elevation and the tomahawk dunk. You could almost feel the TV shaking after one of his monstrous dunks. And played with a lot of distractions. He loved to party, was friendly with the ladies and the bottle and was an amateur chemist yet was still oozing with talent on the court. Could have been one of the real good ones in the NBA if he had his head straight.

I was also a Crispafanatic though I was still a kid during Crispa's heydays.  I remembered that dunk.  The perfect picture in my mind of the Black Superman was his power drive to split the lane, elevation and the tomahawk dunk.  You could almost feel the TV shaking after one of his monstrous dunks.  And played with a lot of distractions. He loved to party, was friendly with the ladies and the bottle and was an amateur chemist yet was still oozing with talent on the court.  Could have been one of the real good ones in the NBA if he had his head straight.

ako din crispa dati, kaya talagang mas tuwang tuwa ako nun kay bates...he was almost a complete offensive player.....had the perimeter and 3 pt shooting range, had elevation for the power dunks....sayang lang hindi pa uso nun sa laro yung mga windmill dunks at hang time mas maganda sanang panoorin si bates....

i remember malaki kinita ko dito sa mga pusta ko sa mga classmates kong die hard toyota fans. :thumbsupsmiley: di nila matanggap na unstoppable si bates.

He loved to party, was friendly with the ladies and the bottle and was an amateur chemist yet was still oozing with talent on the court.  Could have been one of the real good ones in the NBA if he had his head straight.

When Crispa fell behind in the championship series against Great Taste in the 1983 Reinforced conference, Crispa management had all the players quartered. They were particularly concerned about Billy Ray Bates' night habits. I believe there were instances where Billy Ray Bates even tried to "escape" from such arrangements..but was stopped. But in the next two games, he was literally unstoppable. He was drilling it from everywhere.

1. Bobby Parks (due to overall consistency in playing and durability in the PBA).

2. Billy Ray Bates (he's the superman, ain't he)?

3. Michael Hackett

4. David Thirdkill (The Sheriff of Nothingham as Joe Cantada called him).

5. Sean Chambers

6. Tony Harris

7. Jamie Waller

8. Chris King

9. Joe Ward

10. Carlos Briggs